Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The playoff race

Comments

• Options

A draw would be the best result but I'd prefer a Peterborough win. They would still be a point behind us & we really need to win out last 3 games in any case imo, so they wont be able to catch us. Also it would give them extra impetus when they play Pompey - if they lose tonight I reckon they will be out of it & so wont have much to play for.

I can see the logic but if we beat Pompey this weekend they are five points behind with only two games left. We shouldn't be worrying about either them or Peterborough if we win on Saturday.

The way I see it, we need a winner for Blackburn. A draw doesn't really do us any favours either way.
    Point taken - so I suppose I'm happy that Blackburn have just taken the lead & so hopefully they will be promoted by the time they play us & will have nothing to play for (as such)
  • Options
    Blackburn will be playing for the title when they play us
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    3-1 Blackburn in 94th minute.
  • Options

3-1 Blackburn in 94th minute.

Good lads. Perhaps we should give them a load of free tickets?
  • Options
    ....and then there were four.
  • Options

Rothko said:
    To be fair, last season was the first time that I remember there being a clash with Premier League games

SKY do usually put a lot of emphasis on the Play-Offs - What I don't get though is why the (B) Semi-Finals end three days after the (A) Semi-Final, kinda gives the first Finalists a bit of extra prep time

Although I guess the first League Two Semi-Final wont be televised as its at 3pm on a Saturday
    No prem games that day though, they play sunday
  • Options
    Good result for us tonight, obviously Plymouth the big threat, all we can do is keep winning I guess and keep our fingers crossed.
  • Options

I cant agree with all this "bye bye" Posh. They are 4 points behind us with 9 points to play for. We could quite easily lose our last 3 games whilst Peterborough pick up points as we have seen over the last few weeks.

Was thinking the exact same!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I cant agree with all this "bye bye" Posh. They are 4 points behind us with 9 points to play for. We could quite easily lose our last 3 games whilst Peterborough pick up points as we have seen over the last few weeks.

Yes, we could but there are other teams. They are out of it - we have to try to stay in it!
  • Options
    We probably need between 6 to 7 points.
  • Options

How have Bradford managed 10th but a gd of -10
  • Options
    Posh can only get 70 points. Not enough. We will need at least 7 points & most likely all 9. If we win Saturday then Pompey will be gone too.
  • Options

Posh can only get 70 points. Not enough. We will need at least 7 points & most likely all 9. If we win Saturday then Pompey will be gone too.

Cue Pompey win
  • Options
    How many times have we thought that we were out of the Play-Offs... Posh will be out of it when they're mathematically out of it
  • Options
    I don't even know what to think anymore. So many ifs buts and maybes.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Still think that's a good result for us. Keeps Posh at arms length and Blackburn more likely to be promoted before we play them. Doubt they'll be playing for the title, although it is possible I guess.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

Still think that's a good result for us. Keeps Posh at arms length and Blackburn more likely to be promoted before we play them. Doubt they'll be playing for the title, although it is possible I guess.

Why wont they be playing for the title , they'll have 6 points to play for with us and their last game ..
    unless they lose at Doncaster and wigan win their two games before our fixture
    and if that happens blackburn will be playing to stay above shrewsbury

blackburn will have something to play for when they play us
  • Options
    Actually even if Wigan win their next two on Sat and Tues and Blackburn lose their next game (Tues as well) which would be the worst case scenario for them, they would still be mathematically playing for the title when they play us - so I think we all need to put the thought out of our heads that they won't have anything to play for against us - chances are they will be 1-3 points behind Wigan with 2 to play when they face us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Do Plymouth still need to play Scunny?
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

Why wont they be playing for the title , they'll have 6 points to play for with us and their last game ..
    unless they lose at Doncaster and wigan win their two games before our fixture
    and if that happens blackburn will be playing to stay above shrewsbury

blackburn will have something to play for when they play us

Actually even if Wigan win their next two on Sat and Tues and Blackburn lose their next game (Tues as well) which would be the worst case scenario for them, they would still be mathematically playing for the title when they play us - so I think we all need to put the thought out of our heads that they won't have anything to play for against us - chances are they will be 1-3 points behind Wigan with 2 to play when they face us.

Wigan have a game in hand and a great GD.
  • Options
    I hope they are full on in the title race when they play us as it will make our comfortable 4-0 home win that much better...
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43808541

'Wigan and Blackburn each contribute four players to the PFA League One Team of the Year for 2017-18.

Leaders Wigan have defenders Dan Burn and Nathan Byrne, plus forwards Nick Powell and Will Grigg in the side.

Rovers' quartet is defenders Charlie Mulgrew and Amari'i Bell, midfielder Bradley Dack and striker Danny Graham.'

No Charlton players in the list. Not a surprise.
  • Options
    Yeah but they are level on points - as I said worst case scenario for Blackburn in next couple of games would mean they would need to score a shedload against us to stand a chance but they would still be in it - not a CHANCE that they will tamely give up the points to us and give away the title even if they need to score 10 on the day - again though that is absolutely worst case scenario for them - much more likely they will be within 3 points of them with 2 to play.
  • Options

Yeah but they are level on points - as I said worst case scenario for Blackburn in next couple of games would mean they would need to score a shedload against us to stand a chance but they would still be in it - not a CHANCE that they will tamely give up the points to us and give away the title even if they need to score 10 on the day - again though that is absolutely worst case scenario for them - much more likely they will be within 3 points of them with 2 to play.

Agreed
  • Options
    Actually fair point above as well - if we want to set the tone for the play-offs we need to be playing against teams in competitive spirits - Pompy, Blackburn and Rochdale are the perfect opponents for that - walk-over games will do nothing to help a team prepare for the pressure of 3 play-off games.
  • Options
    Sometimes I think its better that a team has something to play for. If we are 1-0 with 5 mins to go they would have to go for it & so leave themselves short at the back - just like the Shrews on tues night. Teams that have nothing to play for can play with no risk & no pressure, which can be a problem.

Not a problem at the moment as we have to win on Saturday. If we don't then I think we're done.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43808541

'Wigan and Blackburn each contribute four players to the PFA League One Team of the Year for 2017-18.

Leaders Wigan have defenders Dan Burn and Nathan Byrne, plus forwards Nick Powell and Will Grigg in the side.

Rovers' quartet is defenders Charlie Mulgrew and Amari'i Bell, midfielder Bradley Dack and striker Danny Graham.'

No Charlton players in the list. Not a surprise.

To be fair that's 8 from the top 2 out of 11 - doesn't leave much to go around does it! Unbelievable now to think that we were anywhere near signing Grigg at one point.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Out of interest and sorry if it has been mentioned elsewhere

Anyone know why that game was tonight and not Saturday or even Friday, not as though either are in FA Cup