Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The playoff race

Comments

• Options

Posh can only get 70 points. Not enough. We will need at least 7 points & most likely all 9. If we win Saturday then Pompey will be gone too.

I agree that 70 points won't be enough. Problem is I've done the predictor a number of times over the past few weeks and always end up with us on 70! So I want it to be enough lol.
    Think we need 4 points from our next two games which is a big ask.
  • Options

Out of interest and sorry if it has been mentioned elsewhere

Anyone know why that game was tonight and not Saturday or even Friday, not as though either are in FA Cup

Moved for TV I assume - was on sky sports tonight wasn't it?
  • Options

I cant agree with all this "bye bye" Posh. They are 4 points behind us with 9 points to play for. We could quite easily lose our last 3 games whilst Peterborough pick up points as we have seen over the last few weeks.

If we lose our next 3 it won't just be Peterborough ahead of us anyway.
    While I understand it's a good thing they lost as it reduces their chances I'm not sure it helps us all that much. We'd need to finish ahead of them regardless if they make the top 6 imo.
    Plymouth and Scunthorpe are the problem teams not Portsmouth and Peterborough.
  • Options

Out of interest and sorry if it has been mentioned elsewhere

Anyone know why that game was tonight and not Saturday or even Friday, not as though either are in FA Cup

Moved for TV I assume - was on sky sports tonight wasn't it?
    Weird they dont normally move a game to Thursday.

Weirder thing there was a prem game live at same time
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I cant agree with all this "bye bye" Posh. They are 4 points behind us with 9 points to play for. We could quite easily lose our last 3 games whilst Peterborough pick up points as we have seen over the last few weeks.

If we lose our last three games it'll be more than posh over-taking us. They're not really relevant to us any more because the chances of them finishing in the play-offs and not us are very slim because if we miss out it'll be because of Scunthorpe or Pompey. Highly unlikely Posh will over take all three of us.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

If we lose our last three games it'll be more than posh over-taking us. They're not really relevant to us any more because the chances of them finishing in the play-offs and not us are very slim because if we miss out it'll be because of Scunthorpe or Pompey. Highly unlikely Posh will over take all three of us.
    This.

If we beat Pompey on Saturday then that takes them out of running as well.

Takes it down to just three teams (Scunny, Pilgrims, us) that are relevant to our chances (for two places) with two games left.
  • Options

Basically what I meant two posts up, but you've worded it much better
  • Options
    Posh are gone we win sat Pompey gone then we need Plymouth to beat scunny.then we need I hope 4 points from 2 games.
  • Options
    i think Plymouth also have to play Rotherham, so with the Scunny match that is 4-6 pts out of the final equation ...
  • Options
    Opponents in the top ten of the league highlighted in bold:

Charlton: Portsmouth (A), Blackburn (H), Rochdale (A) (2/3)

Scunthorpe: Walsall (H), MK Dons (A), Plymouth (H), Bradford (H) (2/4)

Plymouth: Northampton (A), Rochdale (A), Rotherham (H), Scunthorpe (A), Gillingham (A) (2/5)

Portsmouth: Charlton (H), Bury (A), Peterborough (H) (2/3)

Peterborough: Shrewsbury (A), Fleetwood (H), Portsmouth (A) (2/3)

Bradford: Rochdale (A), MK Dons (H), Southend (H), Walsall (H), Scunthorpe (A) (1/5)

• Sponsored links:

• Options

We probably need between 6 to 7 points.

Exactly. Worrying about other teams is irrelevant unless you pick up the points required first.
  • Options
    We know for a fact that one of Plymouth and Scunny are going to drop points again in the remaining fixtures, we have to capitalise.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:

We know for a fact that one of Plymouth and Scunny are going to drop points again in the remaining fixtures, we have to capitalise.

They also have a game or two in hand on us
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Plymouth: Northampton (A), Rochdale (A), Rotherham (H), Scunthorpe (A), Gillingham (A) (2/5)

Peterborough: Shrewsbury (A), Fleetwood (H), Portsmouth (A) (3/4)

Bradford: Rochdale (A), MK Dons (H), Southend (H), Walsall (H), Scunthorpe (A) (1/5)

Callum’s list updated.

Edit: Sorry Callum, I started to do this and did not post until now and see you have already done so. Best guide out there!
  • Options
    Plymouth have 4 away games, I just can't see them winning all of them.
  • Options
    5 points could do it at a push - but it feels like 6 needed to me. It does allow us one defeat - we just have to make sure that it isn't on Saturday! If we win on Saturday, it is likely we need to win one of our last two which suddenly looks a bit more doable.

Saturday is such a big game. In our hearts we know Charlton don't do big games, but somebody posted the play off final on here a few days ago and that was a timely reminder that we sometimes do. What is great is that Portsmouth need to win - that should suit us! COYRs.
  • Options

Peterborough: Shrewsbury (A), Fleetwood (H), Portsmouth (A) (2/3)

Looking at this weekend’s fixtures only, you’d expect Scunthorpe to dispatch Walsall and Plymouth to beat Northampton. Saturday for us will be huge
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Posh can only get 70 points. Not enough. We will need at least 7 points & most likely all 9. If we win Saturday then Pompey will be gone too.

I agree that 70 points won't be enough. Problem is I've done the predictor a number of times over the past few weeks and always end up with us on 70! So I want it to be enough lol.
    Think we need 4 points from our next two games which is a big ask.
    I think that's doable, but the Rochdale game worries me.
    This is the form table:
  • Options
    Three cup finals
  • Options
    A draw on Saturday wouldnt be the end of the world, however a loss would probably see us out of the running.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    A loss would make it much harder, but we would still have a chance if we win our last two.

I think the key elements we need are Fosu and Mav fit for all three games!
  • Options

Three cup finals

Six actually... ;)
  • Options

Three cup finals

Six actually... ;)
    Let's hope so :)
  • Options
    I love having butterflies in my stomach every time I think of the game this Saturday. A nice change to be playing for something with only three matches left.
  • Options

JamesSeed said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43808541

'Wigan and Blackburn each contribute four players to the PFA League One Team of the Year for 2017-18.

Leaders Wigan have defenders Dan Burn and Nathan Byrne, plus forwards Nick Powell and Will Grigg in the side.

Rovers' quartet is defenders Charlie Mulgrew and Amari'i Bell, midfielder Bradley Dack and striker Danny Graham.'

No Charlton players in the list. Not a surprise.

To be fair that's 8 from the top 2 out of 11 - doesn't leave much to go around does it! Unbelievable now to think that we were anywhere near signing Grigg at one point.
    I don't think we ever were?
  • Options
    What was the last "big game" we won? I feel like it could be Huddersfield at home in 2011?
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:

What was the last "big game" we won? I feel like it could be Huddersfield at home in 2011?

Tuesday night? If we hadn't won we had have been virtually out of play-off hunt.
  • Options
    Ask us the question on Saturday night - hopefully none of us will have to think about the answer!
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

Tuesday night? If we hadn't won we had have been virtually out of play-off hunt.
    And Huddersfield would still be unbeaten
  • Options

CAFCTrev said:

What I mean is a game where we go in with a lot of hope, take a big away following or get a big home crowd, its a 6 pointer, its built up for days/weeks beforehand....