Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• se9addick said:

wmcf123 said:

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

What a load of b@llocks

what is?
    How some on here would rather Josh go for 3 quid than have him as a squad player.
    When he plays, we just lump it up to him to win the odd header. I'd rather put faith in Taylor and K(A)G
    But we need to build a squad, not just a team if we want to compete over 46 games.

Summer after summer many of our fans seem to forget that.
    For me that’s the whole issue under Duchatelet. We are not and have never been “building” anything. Every season it’s all change. We change manager so often no one individual can look to build over a period of two or three seasons. Slowly build a squad capable of challenging. How Curbs did it. It’s getting players in and moving the same players on without thought for structure.

Until RD departs nothing will change and any slight success, as in last season’s play off will be down to as much to luck as judgement. Instead of building on the best parts of last years squad we are starting over again.

Unless he sells that’s our future.

Last season was an opportunity, we had relatively few players out of contract a (permanent manager) who had

Scoham said:

Bowyer sounds confident the squad will be improved.

“We might lose one more, probably not anyone that anyone is thinking but I think we’ll be bringing in a lot more than we’ll be losing.”

Been saying this since the end of last season but how are we still getting spun the absolute bollocks that the squad is improving?

Since the end of last season we have lost:

Amos, Dasilva, Konsa, Lennon, Kashi, Jackson, Kaikai, Mavididi, Zyro, Magennis

We have brought in:

Taylor and Pratley.

Can't fault the 2 signings as individuals but it's clear to anyone that the squad is ridiculously weaker.

At the start of pre season i'm almost certain Bowyer said we'd be bringing in 4-5 signings. Well less than a week before the first game we have 2 signings, one is injured and the other not match fit.

Fan-f*cking-tastic.
    And yet, a team we lost 2-0 to in a pre-season friendly last season when most of those ‘lost’ players were available and we had holmes had just been beaten 1-0 in this pre-season’s friendly by our ‘ridiculously weaker’ team.
    Yes because pre-season friendlies are a definite marker for how a season will pan out. We got smashed by UCD in pre-season last year then a couple of weeks later put 6 past Ipswich. it means nothing.

Are you trying to deny we have a ridiculously weaker squad?
    In what way is it weaker ? It’s basically the same defence and they looked pretty solid yesterday. The midfield, despite missing key players gave a pretty good account of themselves against a team a division above and I’d be happy to see them start again, for once we look like we’ve bought a striker who will score goals and the squad is undefeated in its pre-season games
    It’s essentially unarguable that the squad is weaker than it was this time last year. I’d argue that without Amos, Holmes and Dasilva that the team is also weaker.
  • Prefer Mascoll/Marshall. Guess Bow does as well. A Curbs strength was having players who could do a job in several postions, keeping a tight squad and I think Marshall, Djiksteel, Grant and Sarr may fill several roles this year.
  • Prefer Mascoll/Marshall. Guess Bow does as well. A Curbs strength was having players who could do a job in several postions, keeping a tight squad and I think Marshall, Djiksteel, Grant and Sarr may fill several roles this year.

Prefer Mascoll and Marshall to who?
  • Selling Konsa was obviously profitable but selling Lennon and Magennis will barely cover the electricity bill whilst this deal has stalled

That is why he is cutting the electric bill.
    Hence the joke
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

wmcf123 said:

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

What a load of b@llocks

what is?
    How some on here would rather Josh go for 3 quid than have him as a squad player.
    When he plays, we just lump it up to him to win the odd header. I'd rather put faith in Taylor and K(A)G
    But we need to build a squad, not just a team if we want to compete over 46 games.

For me that’s the whole issue under Duchatelet. We are not and have never been “building” anything. Every season it’s all change. We change manager so often no one individual can look to build over a period of two or three seasons. Slowly build a squad capable of challenging. How Curbs did it. It’s getting players in and moving the same players on without thought for structure.

Until RD departs nothing will change and any slight success, as in last season’s play off will be down to as much to luck as judgement. Instead of building on the best parts of last years squad we are starting over again.

Unless he sells that’s our future.

Last season was an opportunity, we had relatively few players out of contract a (permanent manager) who had

Scoham said:

Bowyer sounds confident the squad will be improved.

“We might lose one more, probably not anyone that anyone is thinking but I think we’ll be bringing in a lot more than we’ll be losing.”

Been saying this since the end of last season but how are we still getting spun the absolute bollocks that the squad is improving?

Since the end of last season we have lost:

Amos, Dasilva, Konsa, Lennon, Kashi, Jackson, Kaikai, Mavididi, Zyro, Magennis

We have brought in:

Taylor and Pratley.

Can't fault the 2 signings as individuals but it's clear to anyone that the squad is ridiculously weaker.

At the start of pre season i'm almost certain Bowyer said we'd be bringing in 4-5 signings. Well less than a week before the first game we have 2 signings, one is injured and the other not match fit.

Fan-f*cking-tastic.
    And yet, a team we lost 2-0 to in a pre-season friendly last season when most of those ‘lost’ players were available and we had holmes had just been beaten 1-0 in this pre-season’s friendly by our ‘ridiculously weaker’ team.
    Yes because pre-season friendlies are a definite marker for how a season will pan out. We got smashed by UCD in pre-season last year then a couple of weeks later put 6 past Ipswich. it means nothing.

Are you trying to deny we have a ridiculously weaker squad?
    In what way is it weaker ? It’s basically the same defence and they looked pretty solid yesterday. The midfield, despite missing key players gave a pretty good account of themselves against a team a division above and I’d be happy to see them start again, for once we look like we’ve bought a striker who will score goals and the squad is undefeated in its pre-season games
    It’s essentially unarguable that the squad is weaker than it was this time last year. I’d argue that without Amos, Holmes and Dasilva that the team is also weaker.
    Both are true, our 1st team is lacking in attacking areas, and the squad is clearly very thin, not helped by three players being out injured. The only proviso is that we haven't finished our transfer business yet. I imagine a lot of loan business will be done once the transfer window for permanent signings has closed

Indeed of the players we've lost this summer, the biggest losses for the 1st 11 (JDS and Amos) were both loanees.
  • sam3110 said:

Prefer Mascoll/Marshall. Guess Bow does as well. A Curbs strength was having players who could do a job in several postions, keeping a tight squad and I think Marshall, Djiksteel, Grant and Sarr may fill several roles this year.

Buying a 33yo mediocre full back like Rossenior.
  • sam3110 said:

sam3110 said:

Prefer Mascoll/Marshall. Guess Bow does as well. A Curbs strength was having players who could do a job in several postions, keeping a tight squad and I think Marshall, Djiksteel, Grant and Sarr may fill several roles this year.

So you'd prefer to rely on mediocre winger playing as a full back and a child than a full back that hasn't played below the Championship in 10 years?

Righty ho.....
    Yes. As back up. Perhaps we sbould put Blumberg back in U23s and resign RoJo.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sage said:

We won’t have the budget for it, I know that and he might not even be what we need, but to allow Dijksteel to move into midfield when he is back from illness, Liam Rosenior is a free agent and can provide good experienced cover for Solly and Page, having played both full back positions in the past.

He was there on Tuesday night. I know he is BHA player but I did think he could be useful for us.
  • edited July 2018
    If Mag is off, could we make a cheeky bid for Omar Bogle who barely featured for Cardiff in the division below. Any others in the frame? Nadir Ciftci?
  • cafc-west said:

Addickted said:
    Cash upfront all for Roland, we won't see any of it. The Football League standby and watch the asset stripping.
    I’m not sure about this. Thought the signing of Pratley and/or Ince and/or Dawkins and/or Ward was dependent on one or more being sold...
    Why, when 16 have gone and 2 have come in?
  • sam3110 said:

sam3110 said:

So you'd prefer to rely on mediocre winger playing as a full back and a child than a full back that hasn't played below the Championship in 10 years?

Righty ho.....
    Yes. As back up. Perhaps we sbould put Blumberg back in U23s and resign RoJo.
    Given Solly and Page's injury record they won't be backup they'll be starting most games. And when Marshall is playing right back because of this who's going to play ahead of him on the right, himself?!

Blumberg is in the under 23's already, and why sign RoJo when we can sign Ward who's better and on a free. Pointless arguement, look at the bigger picture
  • If Mag is off, could we make a cheeky bid for Omar Bogle who barely featured for Cardiff in the division below. Any others in the frame? Nadir Ciftci?

Are they available for free and will they play for nothing? That’s basically the criteria we need to apply at the moment.
  • vff said:

Can Premiership youngster or championship loans fill the gaping holes in the squad, after the transfer window closes in early August 18 ?

It can help fill some of the gaps. If the Aussies take us over after the transfer deadline has passed that'll be all they can do, and as they'll presumably be more willing to pay for these loan players (share of wages, loan fee) hopefully we can get better ones in
    And loans with a view to permanent deal can finish them off in Jan.
  • vff said:

vff said:

Can Premiership youngster or championship loans fill the gaping holes in the squad, after the transfer window closes in early August 18 ?

time will tell as I would imagine that's what is going to happen.
    That was an actual question as whether that can happen as to whether loans can be made due to the new window rules. Is that a possibility ? As without any loans the squad is looking really thin, even for a Duchatelet normal season.
    Yes loans still go to the end of the window. Although I am not 100% sure if we can sign or loan out players to/from other League 1 clubs?
    You can but they can't play against their parent club.
  • We've had an unbeaten pre-season so RD must think the squad is good enough, both in quality and quantity! :(

Imagine what our (Caretaker) Manager would be like with backing?
  • Selling Konsa was obviously profitable but selling Lennon and Magennis will barely cover the electricity bill whilst this deal has stalled

Before or after the light ban?
  • se9addick said:

First game of last season 17/18

Amos
    Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Dasilva
    Fosu, Kashi, JFC, Holmes
    Clarke, Novak

First game this season 18/19

Phillips
    Solly, Bauer, Pearce, Page
    Marshall, Aribo, JFC, KAG
    Taylor, Ajose

So this time last season I’d say we were better GK, RB(Solly another year on that knee), LB, RM, RCM, LM, CF.
    CB’s same, LCM same, I’d say one better CF that’s it.

Literally need 6 players minimum to even think about play offs. Shambles.

Pretty sure Taylor won’t start against Sunderland so even the CF position won’t be stronger.
    Could be worse...

Doherty
    Daily
    Stewart
    Abbott
    Anyinsah
    Eccleston
    Nouble
    K Reid
    Bessone
    Kandol...
    But that squad wasn't when we had the wealthiest owner in our history.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2018
    If anyone can teach Sarr to get nasty, it's Ciftci.
  • If anyone can teach Sarr to get nasty, it's Ciftci.

Or Bowyer

• edited July 2018

If anyone can teach Sarr to get nasty, it's Ciftci.

Or Bowyer

Alternatively what's Jorge Costa up to these days? :wink:
  • se9addick said:

wmcf123 said:

clb74 said:

clb74 said:

What a load of b@llocks

what is?

Your sentiment is correct , I have no doubt . I am just happy to see the back of him; I'd rather put faith in the younger strikers. Let's be honest, we aren't going up with this setup

Nabby as a striker at this rate - remember that half a game Phil Chapple was deployed there? Ironically against Bolton!
  • Something to bear in mind during this debate: Remember when comparing the respective merits of this year’s squad as it currently stands and last year’s squad that not only are we weaker in terms of depth (certainly) and quality of first eleven (arguably, and certainly IMHO until key players like Fosu and Clarke are fit), last year’s squad itself ultimately proved not to be good enough. Sure we had a late flurry and a bit of excitement reaching the play offs but in the event they were a damp squib and we were shown up for what we were. If we truly aspire to promotion this year we don’t only need to equal last year’s capacity, we need to better it quite considerably. From where I’m sitting we are a million miles away from that. And I say that despite Taylor being an upgrade on Josh (purely an assumption as I have not seen the former) and Pratley giving us something we’re were previously missing in midfield (on the assumption that he’s not a busted flush)

I’m in the give Dillon a fair crack camp although from what I have seen of him I’m not convinced (I wasn’t convinced by Pope either and Amos took until about Christmas to persuade me last season).

K(A)G has always looked like a glorified pub player to me but I’ll concede that his spell in loan may have matured him but if he and Reeco (potential consequences of alleged holiday misdemeanours notwithstanding) are the answer then I’mdamned if I know what the question was.

And who knows who will be next out of the door in the fire sale? Ajose? I couldn’t give a stuff about him. Aribo or Bauer? We’re even more shafted jf either or both of them leave.

So, decent preseason results notwithstanding, we need to get about six high quality players in and gel them if we are to make a go of it this season. More likely as things stand we are a good bet for relegation and I can’t understand why the bookies can’t see that. A lot can happen in the next fortnight so I’m not reaching for the arsenic just yet but I’ve never felt quite so pessimistic as I do at the moment.

Roland, just get to fuck please and sharpish.

I can't remember the Slade squad, probably a defence mechanism, the one that signed Foley on a half season deal, Pearce & Ajose over his head in - was that worse than this summer? Final League position justified it.
  • This 'squad is too small' theme is on a longer loop at 4.5 years and counting than the takeover thread (loop).