Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• Maybe i am being selfish and because of Charltons current situation, i dont see why we need a transfer window?

If i wanted to leave my job or move on, why should i wait until the end of the season/ tax year? Just seems a bit ridiculous, clubs who prepare badly off season (always Charlton) will struggle and will not be able to rectify until the window opens, then it could be too late.

Yes ideally if we have good owners/ well run club we will be organised enough for the new season and it wouldn't be such a problem, although i do still question why we need a transfer window, full stop.
  • Can we still sign free agents outside the transfer window?
  • Richard J said:

Can we still sign free agents outside the transfer window?

No
  • Redrobo said:

Richard J said:

No
    So can only sign them until 31st, isn't that restraint of trade?
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Redrobo said:

Richard J said:

No
    That could affect how the likes of Dawkins / Ince and Ward react.

In the past some free agents have been happy to wait until a club gets an injury crisis and try their luck.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Redrobo said:

Richard J said:

No
    You could claim the whole Transfer Window is a restraint of trade though

i.e. like @johnnybev1987 mentions at the top of this page
  • Redrobo said:

Richard J said:

No
    That's Roland buggered then. No more dirt cheap cast offs that nobody else wants.

• RedChaser said:

Cafc43v3r said:

Redrobo said:

Richard J said:

No
    You could claim the whole Transfer Window is a restraint of trade though

i.e. like @johnnybev1987 mentions at the top of this page
    You could but if you are out of work and unable to get paid for your professional services rendered then that is just wrong.
    Does seem ripe for a legal challenge, a la Bosman.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Crusty54 said:

bobcafc7 said:

Scoham said:

cfgs said:

Scoham said:

cfgs said:

2 and a bit days left.

The transfer window closes on the 9th.
    Does it I know the Prem window does I just assumed ours would stop before we commenced as well. oh well still not long.
    However we can make loan signings up to the end of August, which can also include the option to become permanent in January.
    And free agents can be signed after the 9th like Ince, Dawkins etc.
    But only until the end of August. After this they can’t play until January.
    If they are a free agent on the 9th we can sign them at any time. See best, leon
    Rules have changed on that with the introduction of the new Transfer Window date

https://www.efl.com/news/2018/february/earlier-closure-of-transfer-window-agreed-by-efl-clubs/

Register players who ceased to be registered with a club during the period up until 31st August 2018
    The date in there relates to when they ceased to be registered, not when they can sign.
  • Sponsored links:

• I suppose the argument is there is nothing stopping a club from signing Simon Dawkins etc. after 31st August and paying him a wage, its just they cant actually use the player in the First Team - Of course no club will do that as they wont want to fork out wages for a player when they're not going to be doing anything to earn them
  • edited August 2018
    You can sign them any time you want, they just can't play for you until January unless they are signed before that date. Was the exact same before this year with the old dates.
  • You can sign them any time you want, they just can't play for you until January unless they are signed before that date. Was the exact same before this year with the old dates.

Cant have been the same last season as we signed Leon Best at the end of November

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42159864
  • Richard J said:

As long as the player is a free agent before the transfer window closes then yes you can sign them anytime (except for a 3 week or so period before the next window/end of season i think)
  • You can sign them any time you want, they just can't play for you until January unless they are signed before that date. Was the exact same before this year with the old dates.

Cant have been the same last season as we signed Leon Best at the end of November

Different dates last year but same rule.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Crusty54 said:

bobcafc7 said:

Scoham said:

cfgs said:

Scoham said:

cfgs said:

2 and a bit days left.

The transfer window closes on the 9th.
    Does it I know the Prem window does I just assumed ours would stop before we commenced as well. oh well still not long.
    However we can make loan signings up to the end of August, which can also include the option to become permanent in January.
    And free agents can be signed after the 9th like Ince, Dawkins etc.
    But only until the end of August. After this they can’t play until January.
    If they are a free agent on the 9th we can sign them at any time. See best, leon
    Rules have changed on that with the introduction of the new Transfer Window date

https://www.efl.com/news/2018/february/earlier-closure-of-transfer-window-agreed-by-efl-clubs/

Register players who ceased to be registered with a club during the period up until 31st August 2018
    The date in there relates to when they ceased to be registered, not when they can sign.
    So I was right in the 1st place, sort of
  • Belgian transfer window closes on 31st August. So he could still 'sell' any of our players to STTV.
  • Belgian transfer window closes on 31st August. So he could still 'sell' any of our players to STTV.

Yup!!
  • edited August 2018

You can sign them any time you want, they just can't play for you until January unless they are signed before that date. Was the exact same before this year with the old dates.

Different dates last year but same rule.
    I might be wrong about this. I noticed that Joey Barton signed in December a couple of years ago for Burnley for instance and couldn't play until January but that was because he had already played for Rangers earlier that season. Not because it was outside the window in general.
  • I could've sworn we were looking to sign someone like Nigel Reo Coker some years back but didn't because he couldn't play until January despite being a free agent.
  • Sponsored links:

• Give me a ' R
    Give me a ' U
    Give me a ' M
    Give me a ' O
    Give me a ' U
    Give me a ' R
    What does it spell? Thats right come on give us a rumour please, its far too quiet for my liking!
  • I think you are right Callum, but I believe it was only December you couldn't sign free agent, and then again from 1st April.

So you could sign free agents (as long as they became free agents before end of transfer window) anytime until 30th November, and then again from 2nd week in February until the end of March. Or something like that.

Whereas now you can only sign free agents until 31st August, and then will be the same in January I assume.
  • First off I don’t know about this rule.

What I do think though is that being technically able to sign someone but then not being able to play them could be challenged in law. Why ? Because to all intents and purposes it prevents you getting a club because in reality no club is going to pay a player and then not be able to use him. There will be exceptions I’m sure (Hreidersson) but in the main in the real world it stops you getting a job. That is restraint of trade or at least I think it could be argued that it is.
  • As far as signing a player who is a free agent, I'm almost certain they can be played even if they sign outside the window. We did it with Leon Best last year, Vaz Te the year before, and I believe Diarra and Eagles and Johnson 3-4 years ago.
  • SDAddick said:

As far as signing a player who is a free agent, I'm almost certain they can be played even if they sign outside the window. We did it with Leon Best last year, Vaz Te the year before, and I believe Diarra and Eagles and Johnson 3-4 years ago.

There are still registration windows that they have to be signed within.
  • The player in question has to have been released from his former club before the closing of the window.
  • The player in question has to have been released from his former club before the closing of the window.

So the rules around free transfers haven’t changed?
  • Scoham said:

The player in question has to have been released from his former club before the closing of the window.

Scoham said:

The player in question has to have been released from his former club before the closing of the window.

I believe if say a player is released today, we could sign them anytime before 31st August. Previously we would have been able to sign them until 30th November and they would have been able to play straight away. Now if we sign them between 1st September-30th November, they cannot play until January.
  • I wouldn’t waste your time worrying about when it opens shuts and all the rest of it, we probably won’t sign anyone anyway. All adds to the amusement of a certain rat.
  • Scoham said:

Scoham said:

I believe if say a player is released today, we could sign them anytime before 31st August. Previously we would have been able to sign them until 30th November and they would have been able to play straight away. Now if we sign them between 1st September-30th November, they cannot play until January.
    Wrong. If a player is released and therefore a free agent before 31 August, then he can be signed and play anytime. Just for the sake of clarity, yet again, here it is from the horse's mouth. https://efl.com/news/2018/february/earlier-closure-of-transfer-window-agreed-by-efl-clubs/

In addition, EFL clubs will still be able to:

Sign players on Standard Loan up to the 31st August 2018
    Sign players on Standard Loan up to 31st August 2018 with an option to agree a permanent transfer when the next window opens
    Transfer players OUT to a club in any League whose window is still open