Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• JamesSeed said:

We’re 12/1 to win the League, 7/2 for promotion.
    Favourites are Sunderland who are 11/4 and 5/6 respectively.

We’re 18/1 for relegation and 66/1 to finish bottom. [Odds from Paddy Power]

You’ll see those last odds decrease drastically today as the Aussies fill their boots, thus acquiring all the funding required for a new 6 year planned assault on the prem.

This is confidential info. Please don’t pass on.

I assume this is a wind up.....
  • Josh gone confirmed. 2 year deal at Bolton.
  • sam3110 said:

10 days to sign 8 players

GK, RB, CB, LB, RM, LM, CM, ST

Martin, Ward, Dawkins, Ince would only cover half of that, and that's not allowing for any more departures, with rumours of Ajose leaving too

If we even sign as many as 3-4 players before the end of August i'll be surprised.
  • Ross said:

Josh gone confirmed. 2 year deal at Bolton.

t f f t .. at last
  • All the best div1 strikers have all been grabbed by Championship teams
  • Sponsored links:

• doronron said:

All the best div1 strikers have all been grabbed by Championship teams

Except for Lyle Taylor ;)
  • doronron said:

and some of the not so best
  • edited July 2018
    LenGlover said:

The idiot Pardew, despite buying the bloke, failed to realise that Iwelumo, despite his size, was far more effective when the ball was paid to feet than in the air.

Our home win against Sheffield Wednesday that season when we came back from 2-0 down was a classic example of what I'm trying to say.

Yes. We were playing well and then Pardew said we were bullied (despite winning) away at Hull and we lumped the ball long for the rest of the season .

Iwelumo was a lot better than Magennis with his feet, however
  • wmcf123 said:

LenGlover said:

The idiot Pardew, despite buying the bloke, failed to realise that Iwelumo, despite his size, was far more effective when the ball was paid to feet than in the air.

Our home win against Sheffield Wednesday that season when we came back from 2-0 down was a classic example of what I'm trying to say.

Yes. We were playing well and then Pardew said we were bullied (despite winning) away at Hull and we lumped the ball long for the rest of the season .

To be fair to Iwelumo he was playing at a higher level. Be interesting to see how Josh does in the Championship.
  • Chrispy51 said:

Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:
    Not that he would have had a say in Magennis leaving but I don't think Bowyer rated him.
    Or Bowyer wants to play a different way.

One downside of Magennis playing when in the Charlton team (.... not Josh's fault at all), is that often the midfield would be bypassed, as defenders would lump it forward somewhere vaguely in his direction. And usually the ball would come straight back, again putting our defence under pressure.

As I said, perhaps Bowyer wants to play a different way.

Whilst I see that downside, I also remember the same issue when we had Chris Iwelumo, we played dreadful football when he played and quite nice football when he didnt. He wasnt the best of players for us as a result of how the team was playing and I was quite glad when he left. Wolves then signed him and get promoted with him as top goalscorer (from memory) playing football that suited him.

My question is, are we looking to change our brand of football? and if so, would the new brand be more suited to Josh perhaps getting more goals?

For the record, I am not overly concerned about Josh going as in Taylor I think we have upgraded and I am not convinced the 2 of them could really play alongside each other. We do need some depth though!
    Iwelumo was very similar to Josh - hard working but not the most skilful. I think we had Varney at the time who also struggled with his finishing.

He scored two crackers against Wednesday at The Valley.

I thought whothemoo was quite decent.
  • wmcf123 said:

LenGlover said:

Andy Reid dictating play was instrumental in the best of Iwelumo's play.

Once Reid left in the January transfer window, Iwelumo's game was less effective as the ball was lumped forward bypassing midfield.

• Chrispy51 said:

Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:
    Not that he would have had a say in Magennis leaving but I don't think Bowyer rated him.
    Or Bowyer wants to play a different way.

One downside of Magennis playing when in the Charlton team (.... not Josh's fault at all), is that often the midfield would be bypassed, as defenders would lump it forward somewhere vaguely in his direction. And usually the ball would come straight back, again putting our defence under pressure.

As I said, perhaps Bowyer wants to play a different way.

Whilst I see that downside, I also remember the same issue when we had Chris Iwelumo, we played dreadful football when he played and quite nice football when he didnt. He wasnt the best of players for us as a result of how the team was playing and I was quite glad when he left. Wolves then signed him and get promoted with him as top goalscorer (from memory) playing football that suited him.

My question is, are we looking to change our brand of football? and if so, would the new brand be more suited to Josh perhaps getting more goals?

For the record, I am not overly concerned about Josh going as in Taylor I think we have upgraded and I am not convinced the 2 of them could really play alongside each other. We do need some depth though!
    While I would love this to be true, I have seen no evidence for it. Thor first few games were the exception rather than the rule, and were produced with a vastly more technically gifted squad than we have available at the moment.

I think Portsmouth, AFC Wimbledon, and the playoffs are more the model. Try to keep it tight at the back and hit teams on the counter.

Unfortunately the latter involves a target man.

I suspect with Josh it was simply the case that saleable assets were identified at the start of preseason and Bowyer was told they'd be moved on if a cash price was met.
  • sam3110 said:

10 days to sign 8 players

GK, RB, CB, LB, RM, LM, CM, ST

Martin, Ward, Dawkins, Ince would only cover half of that, and that's not allowing for any more departures, with rumours of Ajose leaving too

Minimum off that is GK, LB, CM, LM (or RM), ST.

Could wing it with only 3 senior CBs, Marshall and Dijksteel as back up to Solly, plus one winger (as KAG or Igor could play there).

That is still 5 players though, which I don’t see as realistic...
  • If we sign more than 2 before Saturday, I will be very surprised and even then they will probably not be match fit and not ready for a few weeks
  • edited July 2018
    wmcf123 said:

We need at least 3 or 4 players in the building before the season starts. Why have they not signed two of the three loanees? We are playing a dodgy game having such a thin squad. Are they waiting for the mag. deal to go through? I need answers!

Did Robinson start this "in the building" phrase? I mean I suppose a stadium is a building, but footballers spend most of their time outside
    He had more phrases than Roy Walker
  • Sponsored links:

• doronron said:

And Josh Magennnis as well.
  • Blucher said:

shirty5 said:

wmcf123 said:

We need at least 3 or 4 players in the building before the season starts. Why have they not signed two of the three loanees? We are playing a dodgy game having such a thin squad. Are they waiting for the mag. deal to go through? I need answers!

Did Robinson start this "in the building" phrase? I mean I suppose a stadium is a building, but footballers spend most of their time outside
    He had more phrases than Roy Walker
    From memory, I think the “in the building” expression was introduced by that nincompoop Pardew.

Incidentally, I quite enjoyed a Channel 4 documentary last night - ‘The Artist In Residence’ - in which a portrait painter, who has no real connection with football, covered West Brom’s relegation season from start to season and eventually portrayed Tony Pulis, a few players and some supporters. They are all displayed in the New Walsall Art Gallery. Interesting, although the only slight disappointment was that it rather skated over Pardew’s disastrous reign - although perhaps that’s because he wasn’t that communicative (or interesting). What was rather telling was the complete silence when (during Pardew’s brief reign) the artist asked Blunt, Foster and a young player whether they had had a good training session. Available to watch on More 4.

I find it comforting in these troubled times to get these old grudges out and polish them up once in a while. We certainly won’t be short of material in that respect for the next 20-30 years.
    It was a good show, especially as my Mrs is a baggies fan ....that guy's art was stunning.
  • Interesting also to hear a non-football fan questioning things that we never really think about as committed supporters.

Commiserations to your Mrs. on the Baggies’ demise. The competition in the Championship is brutal but I think they’ll be back over the next year or two. The ‘When Saturday Comes’ Season Guide has them finishing third behind Stle and Boro.
  • The statement from Bolton’s chairman has an incontrovertible ring of truth.

Duchatelet may be peeved by Bolton’s disclosure of the miserable £200K fee, although I strongly suspect it’s really driven by his desire to ease Blackburn’s offer up to a level where he can bite their hand off.

Maybe there’s a parallel here with the second bidder who have agreed a price for CAFC.

Hmmm...
  • good luck to josh i will be surprised if he scores 5 goals for Bolton cant they buy the other wanker ajose
  • se9addick said:

Ross said:

Taylor injured
    Vetokele injured

Magennis leaving
    Ajose potentially leaving

That leaves KAG and RHF as our only two fit strikers.

Brilliant.

Has a club ever had all of its available strikers under investigation?
    Do you know that they are still under investigation?
  • There hasn't been a new (incoming) rumour for several pages! At this point of the pre-season there's normally a load of names being thrown into the hat. At this rate the redundant youth team breakfast cook will be drafted into the first team squad.