Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

Bowyer is delighted that Bauer is staying 'cos Bolton haven't matched the asking price. Doesn't fill me with much confidence that he will stay ... there's still over a week before transfer window ends! I may be ultra pessimistic, but why would anyone trust the word of this Belgian? And he may still not sign the new contract and leave in January. Have Fosu and Aribo signed their new contracts yet?

I thought Bolton were brassic, where is this money coming from?
    They sold Gary Madine to Cardiff, for supposedly a £6 mill fee (officially undisclosed) in January.

No doubt they've been permitted to spend a percentage of that.

Ah right, cheers.
  • Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:
    Not that he would have had a say in Magennis leaving but I don't think Bowyer rated him.
    Or Bowyer wants to play a different way.

One downside of Magennis playing when in the Charlton team (.... not Josh's fault at all), is that often the midfield would be bypassed, as defenders would lump it forward somewhere vaguely in his direction. And usually the ball would come straight back, again putting our defence under pressure.

As I said, perhaps Bowyer wants to play a different way.

Whilst I see that downside, I also remember the same issue when we had Chris Iwelumo, we played dreadful football when he played and quite nice football when he didnt. He wasnt the best of players for us as a result of how the team was playing and I was quite glad when he left. Wolves then signed him and get promoted with him as top goalscorer (from memory) playing football that suited him.

My question is, are we looking to change our brand of football? and if so, would the new brand be more suited to Josh perhaps getting more goals?

For the record, I am not overly concerned about Josh going as in Taylor I think we have upgraded and I am not convinced the 2 of them could really play alongside each other. We do need some depth though!
  • Dazzler21 said:

Navy Sarr to go uptops and get 25+ Goals

You heard it here first

He'd get my SEAL of approval.
    I sea what you did there.
  • iaitch said:
    Christ their expensive, wish I hadn't thrown mine away all those years ago. Didn't realise they would go up in value.
  • Dazzler21 said:

You heard it here first

Just dont be gunning for him when he makes a mistake
  • Dazzler21 said:

You heard it here first

Just dont be gunning for him when he makes a mistake
    I hope our fans don't club together when he does.
  • Chrispy51 said:

Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:
    Not that he would have had a say in Magennis leaving but I don't think Bowyer rated him.

One downside of Magennis playing when in the Charlton team (.... not Josh's fault at all), is that often the midfield would be bypassed, as defenders would lump it forward somewhere vaguely in his direction. And usually the ball would come straight back, again putting our defence under pressure.

Whilst I see that downside, I also remember the same issue when we had Chris Iwelumo, we played dreadful football when he played and quite nice football when he didnt. He wasnt the best of players for us as a result of how the team was playing and I was quite glad when he left. Wolves then signed him and get promoted with him as top goalscorer (from memory) playing football that suited him.

My question is, are we looking to change our brand of football? and if so, would the new brand be more suited to Josh perhaps getting more goals?

For the record, I am not overly concerned about Josh going as in Taylor I think we have upgraded and I am not convinced the 2 of them could really play alongside each other. We do need some depth though!
    I think we have to look at the signing of Lyle Taylor, and the way he plays. Bowyer was desperate to sign him, so perhaps that's the clue?

The way Bowyer had the team playing in his first few matches as caretaker (versus Plymouth, Northampton, Rotherham) is the way Bowyer wants to play, I reckon. Magennis didn't start those games, if I remember. Michael Zyro played excellently in those matches, the way the team was set up - maybe Lyle Taylor fits that system?

• Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

Bowyer is delighted that Bauer is staying 'cos Bolton haven't matched the asking price. Doesn't fill me with much confidence that he will stay ... there's still over a week before transfer window ends! I may be ultra pessimistic, but why would anyone trust the word of this Belgian? And he may still not sign the new contract and leave in January. Have Fosu and Aribo signed their new contracts yet?

They sold Gary Madine to Cardiff, for supposedly a £6 mill fee (officially undisclosed) in January.

Who then didn't score for them in 13 games. Good signing.
  • Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

That's not the point under discussion though, Chris.

Se9 asked where are Bolton getting the money from to sign Magennis.
    My guess is that it's part of the Madine fee that they are permitted to spend.

• Looks like Sarr upfront at Stadìum of Light then.

C'mon Lee, buy Ciftci. You know you want to.

Why would he want to do that?
  • Sponsored links:

• We need at least 3 or 4 players in the building before the season starts. Why have they not signed two of the three loanees? We are playing a dodgy game having such a thin squad. Are they waiting for the mag. deal to go through? I need answers!
  • Cos as Harry said, we're down to the bare bones. We need a physical no9. Yann would do but there are others out there, not neccessarily with that number on their shirt.
  • We need at least 3 or 4 players in the building before the season starts. Why have they not signed two of the three loanees? We are playing a dodgy game having such a thin squad. Are they waiting for the mag. deal to go through? I need answers!

I'm hoping and praying it's because a takeover is close and LB knows he will be getting say 2m to spend and he has better targets lined-up. Unlikely though.

• Cos as Harry said, we're down to the bare bones. We need a physical no9. Yann would do but there are others out there, not neccessarily with that number on their shirt.

Taylor is no lightweight, and can hold the ball up well, better than Mag imho. He’s not a target man for an aerial long ball game, but maybe LB doesn’t want one?
  • Oggy Red said:

Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

That's not the point under discussion though, Chris.

Se9 asked where are Bolton getting the money from to sign Magennis.
    My guess is that it's part of the Madine fee that they are permitted to spend.

Yeah i wasn't questioning where they got it from, just that he's a complete waste of money for Cardiff.
  • uie2 said:

You watch Magennis get 20+ goals next season!

Didn’t people say that about Lee Novak?
  • uie2 said:

I'd be really surprised, no staggered if that happened playing for a poor side in a higher division...
  • uie2 said:

Only Vydra got more than 20 goals in the championship last season and he's rumoured to be moving for 10-11m!
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm basically saying Magennis will be uncharltonised!
  • CAFCDAZ said:

adam armstrong or is that wishful thinking

Newcastle reportedly want 3m for him so yes pretty wishful.
    i was thinking a loan tbh, can you really see Roly parting with his hard earner cash?
  • Chrispy51 said:

Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

Iwelumo was very similar to Josh - hard working but not the most skilful. I think we had Varney at the time who also struggled with his finishing.

• Chrispy51 said:

Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

Iwelumo was very similar to Josh - hard working but not the most skilful. I think we had Varney at the time who also struggled with his finishing.

Don't all our strikers struggle with their finishing?

Did Robinson start this "in the building" phrase? I mean I suppose a stadium is a building, but footballers spend most of their time outside
  • Like most others not fussed about Magennis going as I’m not a huge fan. But the issue is like it always is under Roland is the replacement. With Igor and Taylor out, we are light again.

It’s similar to Novak last summer, Magennis didn’t look likely to fire us to promotion but it’s another player off which leaves the squad even more bare
  • wmcf123 said:

We need at least 3 or 4 players in the building before the season starts. Why have they not signed two of the three loanees? We are playing a dodgy game having such a thin squad. Are they waiting for the mag. deal to go through? I need answers!

Did Robinson start this "in the building" phrase? I mean I suppose a stadium is a building, but footballers spend most of their time outside
    Robinson definitely started the say "in some ways" is his delectable scouse mouse accent
  • Chrispy51 said:

Oggy Red said:

Scoham said:

Iwelumo was probably the most successful striker we had that season, with Varney, McLeod and Gray all being expensive (for the time) failures. At least he contributed something to the team
  • LenGlover said:

The idiot Pardew, despite buying the bloke, failed to realise that Iwelumo, despite his size, was far more effective when the ball was paid to feet than in the air.

Our home win against Sheffield Wednesday that season when we came back from 2-0 down was a classic example of what I'm trying to say.

Southampton away as well - ball out wide, cross to over to him, to feet, to head etc., not using him as a hold-up man.