Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• feedback from kit launch q & a - don't shoot the messenger

"• Bowyer commented that Ricky Holmes, who hasn’t played many first team games at Sheffield United has been in touch with the club with a view to returning. Basically, CAFC couldn’t afford his expectations of wages now he is used to that of the Championship. Interestingly, Bowyer commented that he personally doesn’t feel that we need to strengthen the attacking winger/midfield position as he has several players that can fulfil such a role"

Yet we had Dawkins on trial.
  • feedback from kit launch q & a - don't shoot the messenger

"• Bowyer commented that Ricky Holmes, who hasn’t played many first team games at Sheffield United has been in touch with the club with a view to returning. Basically, CAFC couldn’t afford his expectations of wages now he is used to that of the Championship. Interestingly, Bowyer commented that he personally doesn’t feel that we need to strengthen the attacking winger/midfield position as he has several players that can fulfil such a role"

Utter bollocks from Bowyer.

There is not a single position in the entire squad that we do not need to strengthen!

Just leave it at 'we can't afford his wages', don't go on to pretend we don't need a player of his quality.
    I think he's just being pretty canny actually. If he comes across as desperate to strengthen any position, any club or agent approached will have his chestnuts over the fire when it comes to negotiating fees/wages. But if he will only be doing business on his own terms, that gives him a stronger position. Undoubtedly he IS desperate for reinforcement (and the other parties know it) but it's part and parcel of the transfer game.
  • My reaction to this is that Chris Wilder is an utter knob. Why buy our best player if you had no intention of playing him?

Feels a bit like Parker going to Chelsea all over again, only it's to Sheffield bloody United.

Parker played a lot more for Chelsea than Holmes did for Sheffield United in their first half season. United only came 10th last season as well, so it's a mystery why Holmes didn't feature more
  • My reaction to this is that Chris Wilder is an utter knob. Why buy our best player if you had no intention of playing him?

Feels a bit like Parker going to Chelsea all over again, only it's to Sheffield bloody United.

Parker played a lot more for Chelsea than Holmes did for Sheffield United in their first half season. United only came 10th last season as well, so it's a mystery why Holmes didn't feature more
    I think Holmes was injured for a fair chunk of it and by the time he was fit someone else was playing well in his position.
  • edited August 2018

Moo said:

Sage said:

Got a feeling we will sign at least two of the trialists, and I think at least one will sign before Sunderland

thenewbie said:

feedback from kit launch q & a - don't shoot the messenger

Utter bollocks from Bowyer.

There is not a single position in the entire squad that we do not need to strengthen!

Just leave it at 'we can't afford his wages', don't go on to pretend we don't need a player of his quality.
    I think he's just being pretty canny actually. If he comes across as desperate to strengthen any position, any club or agent approached will have his chestnuts over the fire when it comes to negotiating fees/wages. But if he will only be doing business on his own terms, that gives him a stronger position. Undoubtedly he IS desperate for reinforcement (and the other parties know it) but it's part and parcel of the transfer game.

I don't think you've been listening. We wont be buying anyone at all. Any players signing permanently will be out of contract. Any loans will be heavily subsidised by the parent club. LB might as well be hinest about it - no point sugar coating

ir is was it is.
  • Swisdom said:

Holmes didn't play at Sheff U because League 1 you can rely on instinct a bit.

If you watch him he rarely does as he is asked - he is a maverick and it suits him being a big cog in a small wheel. League 1 is his level.

The Championship requires more structure to the tactics and for players to know their role and to fulfil their role. This isn't Holmes' strength so the manager can either let him get on with it and do what he wants - or he can drop him.

Robbo is presumably have a water-carrier or two than can plug the gaps when Ricky goes and does what he wants otherwise he will struggle to get results.

Ricky isn't getting any younger and, whilst I enjoyed him playing for us Fosu is a massive step up.

Thanks for the memories Rick. See you twice this season

Wilder would know Holmes's strengths and weaknesses as well as anyone though, it did feel like he was bought in case they needed a Plan B or even a Plan C
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    Between expecting automatic promotion and thinking the club doesn't need Ricky Holmes, Bowyer is either trying for some sort of completely transparent rallying cry or is completely deluded. Either way, I fear he is going to find this season incredibly difficult.
  • SDAddick said:

Scoham said:
    Between expecting automatic promotion and thinking the club doesn't need Ricky Holmes, Bowyer is either trying for some sort of completely transparent rallying cry or is completely deluded. Either way, I fear he is going to find this season incredibly difficult.
    Or as he said we can't pay the wages Holmes expects and as he didn't say he wasn't very much missed at the Training Ground when he left.
  • None of the triallists will travel Saturday but they all know where they stand. What the fuck does that mean.

Some of the news the club issue to fans might aswel be written in fucking Swahili. Pathetic
  • clb74 said:

What a load of b@llocks

what is?
    What isn’t?
  • It means "If the takeover happens we will buy better players. If the takeover does not happen, the triallists are in."
  • Moo said:

Big Grudge match when Ricky and KR turn up. Both dumped us.

Robinson also signed another of his 'exs'. Samir Carruthers on loan from the Blades .. seems Wilder and Robomouth have a good relationship
  • SDAddick said:

Scoham said:
    Turning down Holmes when money for wages is as tight as it’s ever been I can understand.

Expectation of automatic promotion... delusional.

Seriously think people are underestimating just how weak our squad is this year. Bottom two is far more likely than top two.
  • We not getting any one in before Saturday.
  • Sponsored links:

in English please

in English please
    He's Belgian, cut him some slack. :smile:

On Holiday with a Sheffield United Scout, said Holmes didn’t play for some off field issues. I’m not saying anything for liable reasons.
  • cafc4life said:

None of the triallists will travel Saturday but they all know where they stand. What the fuck does that mean.

Some of the news the club issue to fans might aswel be written in fucking Swahili. Pathetic

That means that we want to sign all 3 of them but the situation at the club at the moment means we can’t so they need to wait until Bowyer is given the all clear to.
  • Happy days
  • Oggy Red said:

SDAddick said:

Scoham said:
    Turning down Holmes when money for wages is as tight as it’s ever been I can understand.

Seriously think people are underestimating just how weak our squad is this year. Bottom two is far more likely than top two.
    What's Bowyer supposed to say, then?

He's hardly going to publicly highlight each and every weakness in the squad, tell the players they haven't got a chance - and throw in the towel before the season starts.

Bit of a gap between throwing the towel in and declaring we’ll be promoted automatically, though isn’t there Oggy.

How about something like, “Everyone knows preparations have not been ideal with the uncertainty around the takeover and we have lost some good players from last year’s team and the current injuries don’t help us either. I haven’t been able to make all the signings I had hoped for, but I have faith in the lads we have here and, although it’ll be a tough season, if we stick together and work hard we can be competitive and we have to think we have a shot of making the playoffs.”

It’s realistic not defeatist to acknowledge top 2 is beyond us. Doesn’t mean we have to believe we can achieve nothing this season. I doubt you’ll hear mangers at other clubs with no realistic chance of automatic promotion declaring they ‘“expect” it. Why should we expect it? Just because we’re Charlton, even though we’ll have one of the smallest squads in the division?

One right back, one left back - both injury prone. One goalkeeper with any kind of first team experience. One fit wide man. And the very real possibility we’ll start the first game of the season with a front pair comprising two youngsters currently under police investigation and subs bench that would make your average crèche look world weary.

If KR was still here, after the summer we’ve just had, and was saying he expects automatic promotion, he’d be getting call all sorts on here, and none of it complimentary.
  • Sage said:

cafc4life said:

None of the triallists will travel Saturday but they all know where they stand. What the fuck does that mean.

That means that we want to sign all 3 of them but the situation at the club at the moment means we can’t so they need to wait until Bowyer is given the all clear to.
    All clear from whom ??? The Aussies ??? RD???

The Aussies are faltering so not them & LB has already said he knows his budget & who he can bring in. Pretty foolish imo if you are letting players train with you & letting them think you will be signing them. If I was one of "the 3" I'd be looking for another club & sharpish before its too late.
  • Oggy Red said:

SDAddick said:

Scoham said:

What's Bowyer supposed to say, then?

He's hardly going to publicly highlight each and every weakness in the squad, tell the players they haven't got a chance - and throw in the towel before the season starts.

Bit of a gap between throwing the towel in and declaring we’ll be promoted automatically, though isn’t there Oggy.

How about something like, “Everyone knows preparations have not been ideal with the uncertainty around the takeover and we have lost some good players from last year’s team and the current injuries don’t help us either. I haven’t been able to make all the signings I had hoped for, but I have faith in the lads we have here and, although it’ll be a tough season, if we stick together and work hard we can be competitive and we have to think we have a shot of making the playoffs.”

But those are your words, Exiled - not Bowyer's.
    You can only expect him to say it his way.

Those of us who follow every detail, every breath and sigh from the club know what you mean though.
    But even so, I can't find fault right now with Bowyer's upbeat and positive way of trying to instill a strong mentality in his players.

• Roland has gone full Roland. We're fucked.
  • Roland has gone full Roland. We're fucked.

Full Roland seems to be closely followed by no Roland, we’ll survive in the meantime.