Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Summer 2018 transfer rumours

Comments

• Redrobo said:

I don’t go with all the negativity here. We need a goal keeper and two more for the squad. Right sided centre half and an attacking right sided midfield player to be signed plus a couple of loans. That would give us the same or better squad than the best in this league.

As Bows would say, it is what it is. Just get on with it. We go again and there is not a team head and shoulders above us.

Ha ha ha. You do realise our first game is on Saturday don't you ?
    It is the start of the new season, before the injuries start to bite and if we believe what Bowyer/Charlton have told the fans, we have 12 fit first team (not Academy) players.

Ok I think, we may have 14 as the the likes of Taylor hopefully is fit, even though we're told he's not.

But 12, yes 12 players available to start the season.

We'll end up half way, unless the takeover goes through in the next couple of weeks, enabling some very good loans to come in.
    I've just seen JFC has done his ACL, so it's 11 fit players now.
  • Redrobo said:

I don’t go with all the negativity here. We need a goal keeper and two more for the squad. Right sided centre half and an attacking right sided midfield player to be signed plus a couple of loans. That would give us the same or better squad than the best in this league.

As Bows would say, it is what it is. Just get on with it. We go again and there is not a team head and shoulders above us.

And you believe we’ll sign five players and sell no more?
    Reply to you and others.

No, I think we will sell one more player and sign 5 by the end of August.

Yes I know we play Sunderland on Saturday.

Yes I know Marshall is 31, so what? Our midfield is not Marshall, Maloney and Lapslie is it? Why is it only a 33 year old that can sign? What do you actually know is happening or is this just gloom and doom?

Of course I do not know who could be head and shoulders above us come end of season, it just does not seem obvious at the moment. The season won’t be won and lost by November or even Xmas and we have quality players that will be back in the squad by then. I expect Southend to be one team right up there as they are recruiting well and have a top top manager.

The start of a season is the time for positivity and excitement. I can’t wait for Saturday and am busy planning away days and holidays. Yes it is a shit time with our owner and the whole fucking sale bit, but what the hell, Saturdays are about football FFS! COYRs, let’s be having you!
  • Swisdom said:

Not the first time I’ve heard stuff about Ricky and off field stuff.

Maybe there’s more to it than we know. Best left to Robbo to deal with it

Because our current squad are complete angels off the field, especially when on holiday...

Not going into detail but the fact they are back here and playing probably says enough. No wrongdoing proven. Ill advised maybe but they won’t be the first, or last, accused of this sort of thing. That’s my understanding of it.
  • Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Reply to you and others.

Yes I know Marshall is 31, so what? Our midfield is not Marshall, Maloney and Lapslie is it? Why is it only a 33 year old that can sign? What do you actually know is happening or is this just gloom and doom?

Of course I do not know who could be head and shoulders above us come end of season, it just does not seem obvious at the moment. The season won’t be won and lost by November or even Xmas and we have quality players that will be back in the squad by then. I expect Southend to be one team right up there as they are recruiting well and have a top top manager.

The start of a season is the time for positivity and excitement. I can’t wait for Saturday and am busy planning away days and holidays. Yes it is a shit time with our owner and the whole fucking sale bit, but what the hell, Saturdays are about football FFS! COYRs, let’s be having you!
    Erm - hate to break it to you, but Pratley is the 33 year old who can come in (when he can play more than 45 mins).

JFC is done for the year, and Fosu is a graduate of the Danny Haynes school of Hamstring management.

So yeah that is our midfield.
  • edited August 2018

Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Reply to you and others.

Erm - hate to break it to you, but Pratley is the 33 year old who can come in (when he can play more than 45 mins).

JFC is done for the year, and Fosu is a graduate of the Danny Haynes school of Hamstring management.

Oh, is Aribo out as well?
  • Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Reply to you and others.

I listed Aribo in my original post. An unproven 22 year old who hasn’t shone for a whole season consistently in league one.

He doesn’t recover the situation
  • Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Reply to you and others.

Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Redrobo said:

Reply to you and others.

I listed Aribo in my original post. An unproven 22 year old who hasn’t shone for a whole season consistently in league one.

He doesn’t recover the situation
    Well I think Aribo has shone and is proven at this level, and bloody good he has been too. Pratley and Aribo centre mid, Grant, Marshall or Lapslie for the other two positions. Injuries happen and it is then up to the manager to earn his wages. I have said before that maybe Sarr would be good as a defensive midfielder. Maybe not. In adversity quite a few have played out of position and found a new role. Not ideal I agree, but Saturday is just one game in a very long season.
  • If everyone’s fit our squad is solid with the addition of one keeper

Phillips
    Solly Pearce Bauer Page
    JFC Clarke Pratley
    Vetokele Taylor Fosu

Bench: ______ sarr, aribo, reeves, marshall, grant, ajose

But, 6 of those 17 players are injured and one of them we haven’t signed yet. So that leaves us with:

Phillips
    Solly Pearce Bauer Page
    Marshall Aribo Pratley Grant
    Ajose RHF

Due to injury, we need to get another striker, full back cover, another winger, a creative midfielder and as i previously mentioned a goalkeeper to give Phillips some competition.

If we could keep everyone fit we could finish top 6. But we can’t, and because we don’t have funds to make sufficient signings, I can see us being in a relegation battle this season. We need the takeover to happen asap otherwise this season will be our worst in history.
  • Oggy Red said:

Perhaps I'm being over optimistic, the transfer window is open for a few more weeks yet and there are still a lot of decent players either on the market or without a club. I can't see there being much or any cash available for Bowyer to spend but there is still time and room for some wheeling and dealing.
    After a few games, win, lose or draw, Bowyer and his team will have a clearer idea of who and what they want and don't want

Friday week, after which loans only but seeing as you mention wheeling and dealing I am assuming you mean permanent deals so definitely not a 'few more weeks yet'

There is a back door method too.
    Can be used after the permanent window closing while the loan window remains open.

Apparently you can sign a player on a full contract, but he can only be registered as a loan - which then runs until 1st January, when the player's registration is made permanent.

I've read it somewhere I'm sure, but I might have misunderstood.

Not really a back door method, that's just a loan with option/obligation to buy in January. Same as what happens with loans now, like Mbappe's to PSG last summer. But indeed will be a way slightly around it if we want to buy a player in August but can't because the window is closed.
    I'm a fan of the back door method.
    Yeah your boyfriend told me the same recently. Apparantly you would be 6 foot tall if you werent but now find it tough standing up straight
    .....particularly after a few pints.
  • Cafc43v3r said:

Redrobo said:

Richard J said:

Can we still sign free agents outside the transfer window?

No
    So can only sign them until 31st, isn't that restraint of trade?
    There has been a restraint of trade at Charlton since January 2014.
  • Sponsored links:

• Roland will be pleased that he has lowered expectations.
  • Roland will also be eagerly watching on his laptop tomorrow lunchtime to see what sort of figures he can pencil in for the January sales of Aribo or any other young player who impresses. That’s the extent of his interest/disinterest in us, although I guess he won’t be happy to see us near the bottom of the table, as that will surely reduce any price he gets for the club, should he ever manage to sell it.
  • Still no players out there that will make us better Lee?
  • edited August 2018
    Nicholas said:

Still no players out there that will make us better and whose wages we can afford and are willing to join a total joke of a club Lee?

Just saying.
  • The journalist that wrote the Independent article suggesting we'll sign a GK and CB "this week".

However if we get a decent offer for Aribo it'll be accepted.

• Grim is the only word to describe our current predicament
  • thenewbie said:

Nicholas said:

Still no players out there that will make us better and whose wages we can afford and are willing to join a total joke of a club Lee?

Just saying.
    Maybe he should just say that or better yet say nothing
  • Be the icing on the cake to lose JFC to an ACL and then seeing Aribo sold
  • Blucher said:

Roland will also be eagerly watching on his laptop tomorrow lunchtime to see what sort of figures he can pencil in for the January sales of Aribo or any other young player who impresses. That’s the extent of his interest/disinterest in us, although I guess he won’t be happy to see us near the bottom of the table, as that will surely reduce any price he gets for the club, should he ever manage to sell it.

And if we get a positive result, which would include a draw, he'll think we don't need anymore players!
  • Sponsored links:

• Be the icing on the cake to lose JFC to an ACL and then seeing Aribo sold

Surely even RD wouldn't do that. There would be full scale riots and rightly so.
  • With JFC crocked I would sign Ince and be hard to break down.
  • edited August 2018
    Surely if Aribo goes before the window with JFC injured ,we do everything we can to get games called off? Only thing that hurts him now is having to spend money. The bigger the fines the club get the more he's gotta pay out
  • I notice Andy Lonergan has joined Middlesbrough. Will this make Ripley available?
  • Richard J said:

I notice Andy Lonergan has joined Middlesbrough. Will this make Ripley available?

Believe it or not... I doubt it'll be to us!!
    I think it might be.
  • cafc4life said:

Surely if Aribo goes before the window with JFC injured ,we do everything we can to get games called off? Only thing that hurts him now is having to spend money. The bigger the fines the club get the more he's gotta pay out

Think we'd also need to consider protests in front of EFL HQ as well

Roland is part of the problem for selling our assets... the EFL are another half of the problem for dragging their feet it seems
  • edited August 2018
    didn't realise he was Stuart Ripley's son.

If he does come in I hope he doesn't automatically get the gloves because Dillon deserves a shot at it.
  • So people now think Connor Ripley is coming in
  • FAVADDICK said:

So people now think Connor Ripley is coming in

Was linked in SLP