Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Yeah my understanding was the opening day has always been all about the host nation - opening ceremony and then the first fixture, no other game on the day to take attention away from the hosts- thought that is how it's always been?
  • Pretty sure that pre 2006? the current holders kicked off the tournament not the host, that's just a recent thing.
  • England have arrived in St. Petersburg for the World Cup!!

Apparently they've told the pilot... "Keep the engine running, we wont be long"

As Henry VIII said to his many wives, "don't worry, I won't keep you long."
  • colthe3rd said:

Pretty sure that pre 2006? the current holders kicked off the tournament not the host, that's just a recent thing.

Yeah you are spot on there actually having looked it up- guess that just goes to show how forgettable opening games are really!
  • edited June 2018

colthe3rd said:

Pretty sure that pre 2006? the current holders kicked off the tournament not the host, that's just a recent thing.

Yeah you are spot on there actually having looked it up- guess that just goes to show how forgettable opening games are really!
    Cameroon v Argentina 1990
    Brazil v Scotland 1998
    Senegal v France 2002

All memorable games.
  • colthe3rd said:

Didn't Cameroon beat Argentina in the first game at Italia 90?
  • colthe3rd said:

Didn't Cameroon beat Argentina in the first game at Italia 90?
    They did indeed

Seems good price to me.

Rashford picked up a knock in the last training session before flying and is a doubt for 1st match
  • Shag said:

Going for the Belgium game , anyone else going to that one ?

Yes, I am day tripping. Getting coach from Lithuania.

Seems good price to me.

Rashford picked up a knock in the last training session before flying and is a doubt for 1st match
    Yeah and I struggle to see Stering and Rashford starting in that game. If you could get that same arrangement for Panama I think it's worth a punt.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:

Thought I'd be all World Cupped out having spent my working life trading it, analysing stats, watching mind-numbingly dull friendlies all sorts - but if anything it's getting me more excited! First game all set-up to be a bit of an anti climax of a WC opener but who knows.

Think Neymar will be the star of the show, Isco also very underrated (almost matches Ronaldo's record this season - and may well take all set pieces bar Pen's), he could be a real star for Spain. I think Spain are re-hitting their prime with this current crop. 80's for Neymar Top GS/Spain Win WC.

Oh can I ask what you do for a living?

Agree with Isco, the boy is class. Took a lovely free kick against Italy that basically sealed qualification. I have him in my official World Cup fantasy team (haven't done a Telegraph one for CL yet) and he's a steal at 8.5m.
    Of course! Football trader soon to be evolved into a more general sports trader (previously professionally gambled on Football and somewhat profitably on Cricket/Darts, albeit not near as knowledgeable of the intricacies of both games!). It was quite a lonely lifestyle and not well aligned to being well respected with mortgage lenders and the like, so I'm happy to help this company out as best I can and bet personally on the side when the time is right.

You'll soon see a 'product' hitting the advertising channels very hard - Build A Bet/Bet Builder etc. (few different companies). Essentially a new 'wave' of betting, so I'm setting prices on all sorts of games lines all the way down to the player percentages (a player to score a header, outside of box, penalty etc.). It is very interesting to see it from the 'dark' side but I think that makes it a shade easier to implement an, albeit very small, amount of thinking within the prices rather than the plain and simple traditional averages etc.

Almost sounds like a perfect job - but having watched obscure football from Australia to Iceland, I've seen it all and almost fell out of love with the sport.. now enjoying every kick just as much as when I was a little'un. :)

StarLizard by any chance? HAd an interview with them.
  • CAFCsayer said:

SDAddick said:

Thought I'd be all World Cupped out having spent my working life trading it, analysing stats, watching mind-numbingly dull friendlies all sorts - but if anything it's getting me more excited! First game all set-up to be a bit of an anti climax of a WC opener but who knows.

Think Neymar will be the star of the show, Isco also very underrated (almost matches Ronaldo's record this season - and may well take all set pieces bar Pen's), he could be a real star for Spain. I think Spain are re-hitting their prime with this current crop. 80's for Neymar Top GS/Spain Win WC.

Oh can I ask what you do for a living?

Agree with Isco, the boy is class. Took a lovely free kick against Italy that basically sealed qualification. I have him in my official World Cup fantasy team (haven't done a Telegraph one for CL yet) and he's a steal at 8.5m.
    Of course! Football trader soon to be evolved into a more general sports trader (previously professionally gambled on Football and somewhat profitably on Cricket/Darts, albeit not near as knowledgeable of the intricacies of both games!). It was quite a lonely lifestyle and not well aligned to being well respected with mortgage lenders and the like, so I'm happy to help this company out as best I can and bet personally on the side when the time is right.

You'll soon see a 'product' hitting the advertising channels very hard - Build A Bet/Bet Builder etc. (few different companies). Essentially a new 'wave' of betting, so I'm setting prices on all sorts of games lines all the way down to the player percentages (a player to score a header, outside of box, penalty etc.). It is very interesting to see it from the 'dark' side but I think that makes it a shade easier to implement an, albeit very small, amount of thinking within the prices rather than the plain and simple traditional averages etc.

Almost sounds like a perfect job - but having watched obscure football from Australia to Iceland, I've seen it all and almost fell out of love with the sport.. now enjoying every kick just as much as when I was a little'un. :)

StarLizard by any chance? HAd an interview with them.
    Not StarLizard - overlooked there as being degree educated is an important factor for them. I know of someone working for them, would be awesome but it would be a push for me in the way they do things, a stark contrast to the way I've self-taught. I'm happy to keep an ear out for anything if you (or anyone else) is interested here - the company will be huge in years to come, signing deals with Kambi, GVC and the likes. Just requires a huge knowledge of all things betting. http://sportcast.com.au/

If I was to want a tentative (yet risky) bet this years WC, I'd buy the spread on total goal yardage - requires the WC goal line to be hit and an average of ca. 6.6 yards per goal. Get the goal line and it should get up easily - there will be plenty of pot shots from distance, the ball dips and dives all over the shop. Wouldn't be surprised if it comes in by a fair few hundred yards, as long as we match the usual 6% of 0-0's in the group stages or less, which is the risk with games like Morocco v Iran.
  • Spain allegedly have sacked Lopetegui after he was announced as Madrid boss.
    Sacking your manager after 4 years of preparation seems slightly rash to me
  • Laddick01 said:

Spain allegedly have sacked Lopetegui after he was announced as Madrid boss.

Spanish FA want him gone, but apparently Ramos and Iniesta have led a player revolt to try and prevent his sacking, and the latest is that he might now stay.

No idea why Madrid couldn't just announce it after the World cup.
  • 26 and ran out of time!
    Exactly the same.
  • Laddick01 said:

Spanish FA want him gone, but apparently Ramos and Iniesta have led a player revolt to try and prevent his sacking, and the latest is that he might now stay.

Because its Real Madrid!!
  • 32/32 with 47 seconds left

found it easy by going through one group at a time
    I'd imagine its easy to repeat yourself and forget which teams you've already said if you just rattle them off
  • Laddick01 said:

Because its Real Madrid!!
    True but even from his side, he could've said "yes i'll sign but only if you don't announce it until Spain are out".

If Spain go out early he's fucked. Everyone will say he was distracted by the Madrid job, and Madrid fans won't want him as he'll be seen as a failure for not doing well.

Has to make the semis at least, i think for his sake.
  • Sponsored links:

• 32/32 with 47 seconds left

found it easy by going through one group at a time
    I'd imagine its easy to repeat yourself and forget which teams you've already said if you just rattle them off
    Was trying to do the same yet the teams I'd put werent being put in Group order so that started to confuse me
  • Yup... Spain Manager has gone
  • Unreal. That can’t be good for squad morale
  • I didn't even see the list underneath of the teams you've already entered, no doubt would have distracted me if I had
  • Laddick01 said:

Unreal. That can’t be good for squad morale

Especially if Ramos and Iniesta were strongly against the decision
  • Madness.
  • Laddick01 said:

Unreal. That can’t be good for squad morale

Especially if Ramos and Iniesta were strongly against the decision
    Exactly, you’ve got to pretty much imagine those two run the camp anyway. Portugal and especially Ronaldo must be rubbing their hands together
  • Spain doing their impression of the French and Dutch on the eve of a major tournament.
  • You'd expect Spain to get through the Groups anyway, Morocco and Iran wont be a threat

Second Place though and they'll end up with Uruguay in the 2nd Round