Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• sam3110 said:

SDAddick said:

And Lukaku makes it 2-1 just before half time.

Lukaku is my prediction for top goalscorer, I reckon he will get 4 or 5 in the group stage.
    Same here - 18-1 I think, bloke plays in front of Hazard, De Bruyne etc, he'll get a ton of chances v Tunisia and Panama. And England.
    The problem with him is he needs space to run in behind, and he's not going to get a lot of that at a major tournament. It's part of why he struggled at United this year, when teams sit deep he becomes isolated.
    Didn't he get like 20 goals this season though..? Certainly didn't appear to struggle to me?

Edit - 21 in 36 games in all competitions
    For the focal striker in a top 4 team, is that a good enough return?

I'm not saying he's shit or anything BTW, just for the money they spent they probably wanted a bit more from him.

I personally think Hazard will score the most Belgium goals, or depending on how much gametime he gets, Mertens
    Bit of a stretch to say he struggled was my point - and that was with what, Lingard, Rashford and Pogba (who did struggle this year) behind him... with Hazard and De Bruyne it's a whole different proposition as his recent form at international level has shown - something like 5 in last 4 games I think it is.
  • sam3110 said:

SDAddick said:

Lukaku is my prediction for top goalscorer, I reckon he will get 4 or 5 in the group stage.
    Same here - 18-1 I think, bloke plays in front of Hazard, De Bruyne etc, he'll get a ton of chances v Tunisia and Panama. And England.
    The problem with him is he needs space to run in behind, and he's not going to get a lot of that at a major tournament. It's part of why he struggled at United this year, when teams sit deep he becomes isolated.
    Didn't he get like 20 goals this season though..? Certainly didn't appear to struggle to me?

I'm not saying he's shit or anything BTW, just for the money they spent they probably wanted a bit more from him.

I personally think Hazard will score the most Belgium goals, or depending on how much gametime he gets, Mertens
    Bit of a stretch to say he struggled was my point - and that was with what, Lingard, Rashford and Pogba (who did struggle this year) behind him... with Hazard and De Bruyne it's a whole different proposition as his recent form at international level has shown - something like 5 in last 4 games I think it is.
    Both fair points.

There was definitely a time during this season when he did struggle and looked isolated. I wanted to say it was like November-January-ish, but I might be getting that wrong. Time is a flat circle/I'm losing my memory.

His record in qualification was good, but when you look at who he has scored against, it's a lot of friendlies and minnows. He only has three tournament goals in two tournaments, two against Ireland in 2016 and one against the US in 2014.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romelu_Lukaku

Now, Roberto Martinez is better than Wilmots. But he's not great. And not having Nainggolan is a huge loss. I still think you can frustrate Belgium. I don't think Lukaku is a terrible shout for top scorer at those odds, I would just put in the caveat that I think he's better suited to the more open Premier League than he is to an international tournament, where is he unlikely to get the space he gets in the league*.

*Cue England giving him lots of space in behind.
  • I think Tunisia will be a tough game. They are no mugs! But it is a great way to start as if we win - a win against Panama (which has a high probability) will see us through the group.
  • https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jun/11/fox-sports-world-cup-coverage

This is the shit I'm going to have to deal with you guys.

No one likes to be condescended to – unless you’re talking about the American soccer public. That, it appears, is the core of the strategy Fox Sports is applying to its World Cup coverage. This is, of course, virgin territory for Fox, the six previous World Cups having been beamed out to American households by ESPN. In 2011, when Fox won the bidding war to show the two tainted tournaments to come – Russia and Qatar, the blood money Cups – network executives committed to doing things differently. With the outline of Fox’s broadcast plans now clear, we can say they’ve succeeded – just not for the better. The new era is here, and if the early signs are accurate, it will mostly suck.

...If ESPN, in its slightly soft, Michael Ballack-friendly coverage of previous World Cups, tried to embody The Quiet European, Fox is going all out to be The Dumb American.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC3LwDEVyzE
  • why is the opening game an early kick off and then no evening game FFS

Cos it’s in Russia I guess. 7/8/9pm there.

I know there are games that'll start @ 7pm here yet Russia v Saudi Arabia is a 6pm game local time

I'm more surprised that its starting on a Thursday rather than Friday
  • Russia vs Saudi is about the least interesting game in the World Cup really!
  • sam3110 said:

SDAddick said:

On the other hand Lukaku plays in a Mourinho team, which hardly encourages attacking flair. You can see the difference with Rashford when he plays for England

Comparing Lukaku's goal scoring this season with say those of City attackers, you have to adjust for the Jose and Pep factors!

The two lowest ranked teams at the tournament.

Still can't wait though.
  • Sponsored links:

You say that. But when the Saudis take the lead it will get all sorts of interesting.
  • Kicks off properly on Friday, Portugal v Spain.
  • Saturday looks to be a great set of fixtures:

France v Australia @ 11am
    Argentina v Iceland @ 2pm
    Peru v Denmark @ 5pm
    Croatia v Nigeria @ 8pm
  • Yes, not one duff game amongst that lot!
  • is any on here making the trip to the USSR?
  • Going for the Belgium game , anyone else going to that one ?
  • I know a few heading out there for 2 weeks, don't have any England tickets though - got tickets for 4/5 other games
  • edited June 2018
    Thought I'd be all World Cupped out having spent my working life trading it, analysing stats, watching mind-numbingly dull friendlies all sorts - but if anything it's getting me more excited! First game all set-up to be a bit of an anti climax of a WC opener but who knows.

Think Neymar will be the star of the show, Isco also very underrated (almost matches Ronaldo's record this season - and may well take all set pieces bar Pen's), he could be a real star for Spain. I think Spain are re-hitting their prime with this current crop. 80's for Neymar Top GS/Spain Win WC.
  • Sponsored links:

• Shag said:

Going for the Belgium game , anyone else going to that one ?

I'm going Belgium Tunisia then England Panama.

I know a few heading out there for 2 weeks, don't have any England tickets though - got tickets for 4/5 other games

If they want a couple of England Panama tickets I've got some going spare.
  • Thought I'd be all World Cupped out having spent my working life trading it, analysing stats, watching mind-numbingly dull friendlies all sorts - but if anything it's getting me more excited! First game all set-up to be a bit of an anti climax of a WC opener but who knows.

Think Neymar will be the star of the show, Isco also very underrated (almost matches Ronaldo's record this season - and may well take all set pieces bar Pen's), he could be a real star for Spain. I think Spain are re-hitting their prime with this current crop. 80's for Neymar Top GS/Spain Win WC.

Oh can I ask what you do for a living?

Agree with Isco, the boy is class. Took a lovely free kick against Italy that basically sealed qualification. I have him in my official World Cup fantasy team (haven't done a Telegraph one for CL yet) and he's a steal at 8.5m.
  • Nothing to do with the World Cup yet looks like the Elland Road game against Costa Rica worked last week

England are going to play a friendly against Switzerland at the King Power Stadium (Leicester) prior to playing Croatia in the Nations League
  • I know a few heading out there for 2 weeks, don't have any England tickets though - got tickets for 4/5 other games

I've got 2 tunisia tickets ( not together ) to offload if they're interested ?
  • edited June 2018

Nothing to do with the World Cup yet looks like the Elland Road game against Costa Rica worked last week

England are going to play a friendly against Switzerland at the King Power Stadium (Leicester) prior to playing Croatia in the Nations League

bit of a shame as i thought the nations league would stop these ridiculous friendlies from taking place, wont be long before clubs wont let players go.

between september and november we are playing;

croatia home & away
    spain home & away
    usa.
    switzerland.

quite a lot of games for a team that have just won the world cup.

elland road was great atmosphere as a lot aren't travelling to russia so it was a send off before the tournament could be wrong but i don't think pointless friendlies in northern grounds will always be a blinding atmosphere
  • i do think that there wont be much trouble out there, last major tournament it only really kicked off in 1 place which everyone knew it would do, hope all travelling stay safe out there, the other half went with her sister to moscow and st petersberg in april and loved it.
  • I did think the nations league was to replace friendlies, not add to them.
  • England have arrived in St. Petersburg for the World Cup!!

Apparently they've told the pilot... "Keep the engine running, we wont be long"
  • Not sure what the confusion over opening day is about. Unless I’m mistaken, Brazil 2014 kicked off on a Thursday with only one game.