Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Daddy_Pig said:

Wonder why it was played in Austria and not in Serbia....guess their training camp is there.
    Reckon a lot of teams play at a neutral ground to simulate being at a world cup.
    No idea why we don't do that. We can quite easily roll teams over at Wembley but that's not much use come the world cup.
  • Daddy_Pig said:

Wonder why it was played in Austria and not in Serbia....guess their training camp is there.
    Reckon a lot of teams play at a neutral ground to simulate being at a world cup.
    No idea why we don't do that. We can quite easily roll teams over at Wembley but that's not much use come the world cup.
    If the World Cup was in South America for example, I assume we would have played a friendly out there beforehand
  • Or are Serbia under a UEFA / FIFA ban at the moment for previous crowd trouble?

I know that Iran v Lithuania was behing closed doors on Friday
  • Or are Serbia under a UEFA / FIFA ban at the moment for previous crowd trouble?

I know that Iran v Lithuania was behing closed doors on Friday
    I expect it did not affect the size of the crowd though!
  • Spain match last night was in Krasnodar. Would've been a good idea to play a match in Russia beforehand but never mind!
  • Yes, we have done similar in previous World Cups though and it didn't help us too much!
  • Brazil cruise to a 3-0 win over Austria. Jesus, Neymar and Coutinho scoring.

When you can bring on subs like Firmino and Douglas Costa you've got a a very good chance of going all the way.
  • It's Brazil's to lose in my opinion. Like I said, not impressed by any of the top European teams.
  • It's Brazil's to lose in my opinion. Like I said, not impressed by any of the top European teams.

Until they meet England in the quarters
  • Sponsored links:

• We were one of the three that drew with em were we not. I am the arch cynic when it comes to England but I still think that this is the best team since the 90's and we do have a chance.
  • Sorry if this has already been done to death, but what apps are people using to follow the tourno.?

I would like one which is not originated from either FIFA or Russia; and where there is maximum info on individual players. I can remember in the Brazil tourno it was ridiculously difficult to look up a player and find out his club team. WTF?

• South Korea playing Senegal in a warm up friendly this afternoon. The game was delayed due to "stadium issues" apparently... all very cloak and dagger stuff but the rumour is South Korea have insisted the game be played behind closed doors with no fans or media allowed in the stadium. Not sure why they couldn't have arranged it that way in the first place... Still, is an interesting strategy to avoid their competitors scouts from having a look at them I suppose!
  • Sorry if this has already been done to death, but what apps are people using to follow the tourno.?

I would like one which is not originated from either FIFA or Russia; and where there is maximum info on individual players. I can remember in the Brazil tourno it was ridiculously difficult to look up a player and find out his club team. WTF?

Fotmob is good. It's primarily a scores service but can click on players and see some detail about them, you can also set up team news alerts etc.
  • South Korea playing Senegal in a warm up friendly this afternoon. The game was delayed due to "stadium issues" apparently... all very cloak and dagger stuff but the rumour is South Korea have insisted the game be played behind closed doors with no fans or media allowed in the stadium. Not sure why they couldn't have arranged it that way in the first place... Still, is an interesting strategy to avoid their competitors scouts from having a look at them I suppose!

Perhaps they were worried that Donald Trump might turn up
  • Belgium 0-1 Costa Rica
  • Quick equaliser for Mertens.

Keylor Navas down injured.
  • Sponsored links:

• And Lukaku makes it 2-1 just before half time.
  • 4-1 to Belgium half way through the second half.

Lukaku is my prediction for top goalscorer, I reckon he will get 4 or 5 in the group stage.

Lukaku is my prediction for top goalscorer, I reckon he will get 4 or 5 in the group stage.
    was about to come on and say the same thing

was about to come on and say the same thing
    11/2 price boost special to be top scorer in group G.
  • 4-1 to Belgium half way through the second half.

Fancy CRC to finish last in their group. Think they look absolutely abject.

Same here - 18-1 I think, bloke plays in front of Hazard, De Bruyne etc, he'll get a ton of chances v Tunisia and Panama. And England.

Same here - 18-1 I think, bloke plays in front of Hazard, De Bruyne etc, he'll get a ton of chances v Tunisia and Panama. And England.
    The problem with him is he needs space to run in behind, and he's not going to get a lot of that at a major tournament. It's part of why he struggled at United this year, when teams sit deep he becomes isolated.
  • edited June 2018
    SDAddick said:

And Lukaku makes it 2-1 just before half time.

The problem with him is he needs space to run in behind, and he's not going to get a lot of that at a major tournament. It's part of why he struggled at United this year, when teams sit deep he becomes isolated.
    Didn't he get like 20 goals this season though..? Certainly didn't appear to struggle to me?

Edit - 21 in 36 games in all competitions
  • edited June 2018

SDAddick said:

And Lukaku makes it 2-1 just before half time.

Didn't he get like 20 goals this season though..? Certainly didn't appear to struggle to me?

Edit - 21 in 36 games in all competitions
    For the focal striker in a top 4 team, is that a good enough return?

I'm not saying he's shit or anything BTW, just for the money they spent they probably wanted a bit more from him.

I personally think Hazard will score the most Belgium goals, or depending on how much gametime he gets, Mertens