Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Sergio Ramos as player manager would be amazing!
  • Crazy to sack a manager the day before the tournament starts. A great chance for someone to come in and grab some glory though
  • Crazy decision especially if the squad were against it
  • Also means he was sacked as manager without ever losing a game for them!
  • Incredible!
  • edited June 2018
    Sid Lowe
    @sidlowe
    So, who's in?
    Given Rubiales's insistence that they will "alter things as little as possible within the camp", most likely scenario Albert Celades and/or Fernando Hierro ...
  • Bizarre.

Was his contract up after the World Cup? Even if he spoke to Real without permission, just accept it and get on with the tournament.
  • Sponsored links:

• Bizarre.

Was his contract up after the World Cup? Even if he spoke to Real without permission, just accept it and get on with the tournament.

Not exactly.

He signed a new 2 year deal only 3 weeks ago!

So i can see why the Spanish FA are annoyed.
  • edited June 2018
    Wasn't Conte confirmed as Chelsea manager before the Euro 2016 finals started? What's the difference here?

Edit: just saw Chris' post above. This is indeed different.
  • Bizarre.

Not exactly.

Fair enough.

Still feels like cutting your nose off to spite your face though.
  • Wasn't Conte confirmed as Chelsea manager before the Euro 2016 finals started? What's the difference here?

Difference is he didn't tell the Spanish FA before being confirmed as Real Madrid manager
  • Bizarre.

Not exactly.

Fair enough.

Still feels like cutting your nose off to spite your face though.
    Completely agree it's silly to sack him at this stage, when all of the senior players wanted him kept on. But seemingly the issue for their FA wasn't with him taking the Madrid job, it was the fact that he didn't tell them he was even discussing and considering it.
  • Weord situation too as I'd imagine there's no compensation clause in a national team manager contract, and an FA can't exactly accuse a club of "tapping up" their manager, can they?
  • sam3110 said:

Weord situation too as I'd imagine there's no compensation clause in a national team manager contract, and an FA can't exactly accuse a club of "tapping up" their manager, can they?

Bet there is and yes they can.
  • I wonder do the Spanish FA actually have genuine grounds for dismissal? Mad as it may sound, but assuming the contract doesn't begin until the world cup has ended what has he actually done wrong? Agreeing to take another job is not grounds for dismissal in any other work place as far as I know?

I mean if I went for an interview for another job and got it I wouldn't get the sack from my current job - even if it was to a business rival and there was a direct conflict of interest they wouldn't be able to just sack me just like that... probably put me on gardening leave or something but certainly not dismissal.
  • edited June 2018

I wonder do the Spanish FA actually have genuine grounds for dismissal? Mad as it may sound, but assuming the contract doesn't begin until the world cup has ended what has he actually done wrong? Agreeing to take another job is not grounds for dismissal in any other work place as far as I know?

I mean if I went for an interview for another job and got it I wouldn't get the sack from my current job - even if it was to a business rival and there was a direct conflict of interest they wouldn't be able to just sack me just like that... probably put me on gardening leave or something but certainly not dismissal.

Depends what clauses he has in his contract. He could well be on gardening leave for all we know. It's also Spanish law, not English, if that makes any difference.
  • I wonder do the Spanish FA actually have genuine grounds for dismissal? Mad as it may sound, but assuming the contract doesn't begin until the world cup has ended what has he actually done wrong? Agreeing to take another job is not grounds for dismissal in any other work place as far as I know?

Yet Football Employment is completely different to any normal Employment

When people say "I'd be sacked if I did that poorly in my job" I want to scream because in that situation you wouldnt, instead you'd go through about five different disciplinary routes before that became possible

I imagine this is no different... Managers have been removed from their posts for much lesser reasons in the past. i.e. Chris Powell, wasnt talking to another team, results werent particularly bad but still went just because the owner didnt want him
  • Sponsored links:

• Absolutely insane. I had Spain winning the tournament. I am probably going to change that.
  • Sid Lowe
    @sidlowe
    So, who's in?
    Given Rubiales's insistence that they will "alter things as little as possible within the camp", most likely scenario Albert Celades and/or Fernando Hierro ...

• Just got Serbia in work world cup draw - chances?
  • kimbo said:

Just got Serbia in work world cup draw - chances?

Somewhere between Zero and Fuck All.
  • Love a good World Cup drama. The French revolt in 2010 was the stuff of legend.
  • kimbo said:

Just got Serbia in work world cup draw - chances?

Good chance they’ll get out the group, bad news is they’re likely to play Germany in round of 16.
  • Crazy situation for Spain. I have heard Michel might take over.
  • Stupid decision really, considering the player revolt too would be very surprised if they get as far as semi finals now which i thought they would.

Would only make sense if he was using the build up time to do things for Real Madrid and taking the eye of the ball and not focusing on Spain, even then seems crazy as he has been the one who has prepared them the last 4 years.
  • cafctom said:

Love a good World Cup drama. The French revolt in 2010 was the stuff of legend.

Almost every tournament one big team goes mad and fucks it all up. This year Holland and Italy aren't even in it and now Spain look on the edge of a breakdown (hopefully).
  • What's Del Bosque up to?