Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• I wonder do the Spanish FA actually have genuine grounds for dismissal? Mad as it may sound, but assuming the contract doesn't begin until the world cup has ended what has he actually done wrong? Agreeing to take another job is not grounds for dismissal in any other work place as far as I know?

I mean if I went for an interview for another job and got it I wouldn't get the sack from my current job - even if it was to a business rival and there was a direct conflict of interest they wouldn't be able to just sack me just like that... probably put me on gardening leave or something but certainly not dismissal.

Yet Football Employment is completely different to any normal Employment

When people say "I'd be sacked if I did that poorly in my job" I want to scream because in that situation you wouldnt, instead you'd go through about five different disciplinary routes before that became possible

I imagine this is no different... Managers have been removed from their posts for much lesser reasons in the past. i.e. Chris Powell, wasnt talking to another team, results werent particularly bad but still went just because the owner didnt want him
    As much as I love SCP I don’t know how you can say results weren’t that bad...???? We were bottom of the league!!!
  • edited June 2018
    Taxi_Lad said:

I wonder do the Spanish FA actually have genuine grounds for dismissal? Mad as it may sound, but assuming the contract doesn't begin until the world cup has ended what has he actually done wrong? Agreeing to take another job is not grounds for dismissal in any other work place as far as I know?

I mean if I went for an interview for another job and got it I wouldn't get the sack from my current job - even if it was to a business rival and there was a direct conflict of interest they wouldn't be able to just sack me just like that... probably put me on gardening leave or something but certainly not dismissal.

When people say "I'd be sacked if I did that poorly in my job" I want to scream because in that situation you wouldnt, instead you'd go through about five different disciplinary routes before that became possible

I imagine this is no different... Managers have been removed from their posts for much lesser reasons in the past. i.e. Chris Powell, wasnt talking to another team, results werent particularly bad but still went just because the owner didnt want him
    As much as I love SCP I don’t know how you can say results weren’t that bad...???? We were bottom of the league!!!
    Seriously do we have to have this debate again?

We were bottom of the League because we had a shocking pitch and had a good run in the FA Cup - We had about four / five games in hand on everyone else which is why we managed to pull of such a good great escape
  • Fernando Hierro replaces Julen Lopetegui as Spain coach for World Cup. #ESP
  • edited June 2018
    Albert Celades has been promoted from the U21 manager to be their world cup manager.

Edit: no he's not. It's Hierro.
  • Of the 22 Members of FIFA's executive committee who took part in 2010's secret vote for Russia and Quatar, 16 have by now been banned from football for corruption, indicted or convicted of corruption by the FBI or other authorities.

Beyond parody.

line them up and shoot the lot of em
  • Sponsored links:

• Taxi_Lad said:

I wonder do the Spanish FA actually have genuine grounds for dismissal? Mad as it may sound, but assuming the contract doesn't begin until the world cup has ended what has he actually done wrong? Agreeing to take another job is not grounds for dismissal in any other work place as far as I know?

Seriously do we have to have this debate again?

We were bottom of the League because we had a shocking pitch and had a good run in the FA Cup - We had about four / five games in hand on everyone else which is why we managed to pull of such a good great escape
    To be fair I think the point was that it was a valid reason to dismiss him (whether we agree or if there were other factors or not - it wasn't out of the blue with us in the top 6 or anything was it)

Sacking on performance (perceived or not) is one thing but sacking somebody for taking a job elsewhere is dodgy ground for me, although I do take your point about football being different rules to other employment.
  • Gotta love a World Cup meltdown. Used to be able to rely on the Dutch for a screaming hissy fit or the French more recently (or Roy Keane), there's always some camp riven by conflict just before we kick off. But out of all of them I wouldn't have guessed at the Spanish!

Madness at this late stage.
  • Gotta love a World Cup meltdown. Used to be able to rely on the Dutch for a screaming hissy fit or the French more recently (or Roy Keane), there's always some camp riven by conflict just before we kick off. But out of all of them I wouldn't have guessed at the Spanish!

Madness at this late stage.

The weirdest part is if you told me there was a problem in the Spain camp, I'd have bet on it being Catalan/Nationalist rifts between players, not their manager fucking off the FA a day before the World Cup
  • Had a Spain v Brazil final... hmmm tempted to stick with it.

16/1

16/1
    Good odds that, really good odds.

Stupid America, I wish I could bet on this kind of stuff.
  • SDAddick said:

Had a Spain v Brazil final... hmmm tempted to stick with it.

16/1

Get a decent VPN, works for me. :wink:
  • SDAddick said:

16/1

Just put a bet on.
  • SDAddick said:

16/1

I think it would block my US bank account, I'm pretty sure I tried it. I don't still have a UK bank account unfortunately.
  • Sponsored links:

• Ok switching back to this thread because I think I'm the one who screwed it up in the first place.

SDAddick said:

From Rob Smyth over at The Guardian. I've been thinking about this a lot. I think Argentina are a shout. Their group is very difficult, they're not great at the back, and they looked disjointed throughout much of qualification--but I just can't bet against Sampaoli.

The other shouts on the live blog are Germany and England. I could definitely see it happening to England if they do the England thing where they turn up and forget how to play football. Tunisia aren't that bad. Germany, I think, will be out in the quarter finals, and their group is tough, but I think even if they struggle the teams in their group will beat up on each other enough that they'll be able to go through.

I don't know on this one. Thoughts?

Portugal for me. Happy to be proved wrong but I shall be backing Morocco for the second place in that group
    I have them going out to Uruguay in the round of 16 but yes, I could easily see them going out at the group stage.
  • SDAddick said:

Ok switching back to this thread because I think I'm the one who screwed it up in the first place.

SDAddick said:

From Rob Smyth over at The Guardian. I've been thinking about this a lot. I think Argentina are a shout. Their group is very difficult, they're not great at the back, and they looked disjointed throughout much of qualification--but I just can't bet against Sampaoli.

The other shouts on the live blog are Germany and England. I could definitely see it happening to England if they do the England thing where they turn up and forget how to play football. Tunisia aren't that bad. Germany, I think, will be out in the quarter finals, and their group is tough, but I think even if they struggle the teams in their group will beat up on each other enough that they'll be able to go through.

I don't know on this one. Thoughts?

Portugal for me. Happy to be proved wrong but I shall be backing Morocco for the second place in that group
    I have them going out to Uruguay in the round of 16 but yes, I could easily see them going out at the group stage.
    I actually think the biggest shock will be that Ronaldo and Messi won’t perform very well at this World Cup. I think they are both playing for two poor international teams.
  • SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

16/1

I think it would block my US bank account, I'm pretty sure I tried it. I don't still have a UK bank account unfortunately.

PayPal might work
  • Ronaldo had a stinker at the last World Cup. I can see him going all out for this one.

Whether his team is good enough to back him up is another question. They managed to win the Euros so you never know.
  • Shows Germany’s dominance and how even if they haven’t been too impressive of late, you can’t ever write them off because when it comes to it, they’ve proved time and time again, they turn up and produce.
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTJSt4wP2ME&list=RDWTJSt4wP2ME&t=24
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6E9R9qv1No

For me, the two best World Cup songs from recent years. Yes, they're awful Coca Cola manufactured things, but they're catchy.
  • Ronaldo had a stinker at the last World Cup. I can see him going all out for this one.

Whether his team is good enough to back him up is another question. They managed to win the Euros so you never know.

Was a poor Euro's though. Portugal only won 1 game in 90 minutes in the whole competition and ended up winning it.

Spain poor, England dreadful, Belgium underperformed, Wales made the semis and France somehow managed to bottle it.