Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer Talks - Weekly press conference updates

Comments

• Options
    Stefco said:
    Chunes said:
    Bowyer seems to imply there that it was Conor who wanted to go
    It does tbf. He says no one expected him to do what he did.
    Not no one expected Chelsea to recall him.
    What he means is, no-one expected Conor to be as successful with us as he was.
    Not that Conor somehow navigated his way out.

That's how I read it anyway.
    You read it that way because that is exactly what Bowyer meant.
    Indeed! 
  • Options
    Sounds to me like Willams and JFC are good to start. Ozzy on the bench. Easing Aneke back through the u23s. Cullen on the bench for midweek.
    Id be surprised if Cullen was involved as early as midweek
    Hasn't he been training with West Ham for a couple of weeks? As Field did with West Brom when he broke down again. Sure I read that Cullen did the same somewhere? #

maybe @Sage will know

• Options
    Sounds to me like Willams and JFC are good to start. Ozzy on the bench. Easing Aneke back through the u23s. Cullen on the bench for midweek.
    Hasn't he been training with West Ham for a couple of weeks? As Field did with West Brom when he broke down again. Sure I read that Cullen did the same somewhere? #

maybe @Sage will know

It was reported a week or two ago that Cullen was taken out of training as a "precaution".

That doesn't sound like a major issue ..... just that no risks were taken and the player could be properly assessed.
  • Options
    Didnt realise that Field was already back @ Sparrows Lane again

Thats promising!!
  • Options
    In February, if players don't break down it does look like we will have options again. Even more so with additions. Was it possible to arrange Fulham game for later or were our hands tied? It doesn't make sense if they weren't.
  • Options
    Stefco said:
    Chunes said:
    It does tbf. He says no one expected him to do what he did.
    Not no one expected Chelsea to recall him.
    What he means is, no-one expected Conor to be as successful with us as he was.
    Not that Conor somehow navigated his way out.

That's how I read it anyway.
    That's exactly how I read it. 

Don't quite agree that no-one expected him to do so well. He was Chelsea youth player of the year, and they're very strong in the youth department.
  • Options
    When he signed for us I had a look at a Chelsea forum and to a man they didn't think he would make it with them. He still hasn't of course, but they are far more interested.
  • Options
    In February, if players don't break down it does look like we will have options again. Even more so with additions. Was it possible to arrange Fulham game for later or were our hands tied? It doesn't make sense if they weren't.
    We agreed a date of the 29th with Fulham & The EFL. WE then changed it to the 22nd. Fulham mention this on their website, saying that as the home team we have the right to alter the date from that was already agreed.

Make of that what you will.
  • Options
    I'm not sure his development is entirely down to us though. He has a natural talent that was evident even in his first substitute appearance and also a desire to work hard that is seemingly just how he is. No doubt Bowyer etc have helped to some degree but I think he would've performed well at any club where he was getting games. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We can't take all the credit - clearly it is mostly down to his ability, but I am sure he has benefited from playing under Bowyer.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Really? I didn't read it like that at all.
    Me neither: "He's Chelsea's player"

i.e. They can choose to do what they want with him
    I think if Conor had wanted to stay he would of stayed 
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I think Sage has proven to be a reliable source of info and he suggested that isn't the case.
  • Options
    Chunes said:

He was absolutely gutted to be leaving and at the farewells he shed a tear or two......make of that what you will.
  • Options

maybe @Sage will know

They had the vast majority of the treatment at their parent clubs. We know Cullen is a generally fit player anyway from last season, but I would be surprised if he’s in the squad for Fulham, although there could be a chance. It’s surely best to give him two weeks full training with the squad ready for Barnsley at home. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

How?
  • Options
    Chunes said:

He was absolutely gutted to be leaving and at the farewells he shed a tear or two......make of that what you will.
    Poor bastard knew he was having to live in Swansea for the next 5 months.......
  • Options
    Chunes said:

How?
    Do players not have a say in where they want to go on loan???
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:

How?
    Yes and they could refuse.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Chunes said:

How?

exactly
  • Options
    Sage said:

maybe @Sage will know

They had the vast majority of the treatment at their parent clubs. We know Cullen is a generally fit player anyway from last season, but I would be surprised if he’s in the squad for Fulham, although there could be a chance. It’s surely best to give him two weeks full training with the squad ready for Barnsley at home. 
    Bowyer seems to believe he might be involved this weekend. So long as it’s not putting him at risk, that’s a huge boost for us.

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-midfielder-josh-cullen-is-a-machine-and-could-return-at-preston-north-end/
  • Options
    Chunes said:

How?
    Of course but Chelsea recalled him so they have a say in that

We could have offered Chelsea more than what Swansea did in which case Id agree with you but we didnt so the player couldnt choose between us and them
  • Options
    Sage in a normal situation you are 100% correct re players being given time to get to match fitness but we are no in a normal situation ----- one win in months ----games passing by----- no new blood in ---- it is getting to the stage of risking the player breaking down or loosing /religation. 

In the long run we need to have a hard look at why this horrific injury situation happened ---structure---- skill sets---- dosh etc.It's not just bad luck
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Maybe there is a bit of bad luck and a bit of desperation. Williams is injury prone, Taylor got injured away from the club, Cullen's looked a standard unavoidable injury. Hamed and Kayel were last minute punts with question marks over their fitness. Field again looked an unavoidable one. Not sure about Leko, Aneke and Oztumer tbh. Maybe the one that stands out that whilst it maybe couldn't have been prevented, it might have been mitigated by taking him off earlier was Bonne. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

How?
    Do you seriously think he would set up an antagonist situation with his club.....no way Jose.
    Let’s not forget he’s also only 19 and certainly wouldn’t have the balls at this stage of his career to defy the Chelsea hierarchy.
    He may well have mentioned he wanted to stay put, but would have little option other than to do as they say.
    As yet, we still don’t know the reason why they took this action......I fancy it will come out eventually.
  • Options
    Maybe there is a bit of bad luck and a bit of desperation. Williams is injury prone, Taylor got injured away from the club, Cullen's looked a standard unavoidable injury. Hamed and Kayel were last minute punts with question marks over their fitness. Field again looked an unavoidable one. Not sure about Leko, Aneke and Oztumer tbh. Maybe the one that stands out that whilst it maybe couldn't have been prevented, it might have been mitigated by taking him off earlier was Bonne. 
    And Oztumer (v Sheff Weds). He then gave away a late penalty soon after being injured, because he couldn't run properly.

• Options
    Chunes said:

How?
    Of course but Chelsea recalled him so they have a say in that

We could have offered Chelsea more than what Swansea did in which case Id agree with you but we didnt so the player couldnt choose between us and them
    I was talking with someone an hour or two ago (reliable I may add), who said that we were paying a third of his wages.....Chelsea the rest.
    Swansea have agreed to pay the full amount, now as to whether we weren’t prepared to match Swansea I have no idea but It seems we weren’t even given that option, given that Bowyer said it came as a shock completely out of the blue.