Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer Talks - Weekly press conference updates

Comments

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Doesnt sound like we are picking a formation to match the opposition - Sounds more like he's looking at Swindon's games and is seeing what formations they're weakest against, which if so is the right approach... e.g. I dont see why Bowyer would play with a 4-4-2 if the opposition play with a five man midfield themselves as with the extra man they'll surely stand more chance of over running our players
    They are 2nd from bottom, lost 14 and drew 2.. play our best team and make them match that, we need consistency not another tactical change.
    I know we don't have the players Liverpool have, but it's notable that they've basically played the same formation for 3 seasons now. They don't modify it because they're playing City one week and Burnley the next.
    Someone pointed out in another thread, that when we got promoted with Powell, we had 1 formation, 2 players for every position an stuck to it 99% of the time. 

We need to master 1 formation, before we can attempt 1 new one every single week. To me it's as bad as defending leads 25 mins from time whenever we are in that position. 

If youre changing from 3, to 5, to 4 at the back every week theres zero chance of building familiarity. They should be able to close there eyes and know roughly where a teammate will be.

Indeed we were very predictable tactically that season really. But it didn't help the opposition as we had excellent players and we were really good at playing with our system!

A front 2 of Yann (Hayes) and BWP (Haynes)
    Jacko on the left, Waggy or Green on the right
    2 midfielders out of Hollands, Stephens, and Russell when he was with us
    Wiggins LB, Morrison CB, Cort or Taylor CB, Solly RB
    Hamer GK
    Pritchard and Hughes as utility players
    That covers about 95% of the appearances
    Yeah, Powell signed a first choice starting XI to play a certain way.

Then backed it up with a squad, covering position for position, to play the same way.

And it worked, big time.

No Charlton team has accrued so many points in a season and we took our foot of the gas a bit right at the end. You have to give Powell the upmost respect for that. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Doesnt sound like we are picking a formation to match the opposition - Sounds more like he's looking at Swindon's games and is seeing what formations they're weakest against, which if so is the right approach... e.g. I dont see why Bowyer would play with a 4-4-2 if the opposition play with a five man midfield themselves as with the extra man they'll surely stand more chance of over running our players
    They are 2nd from bottom, lost 14 and drew 2.. play our best team and make them match that, we need consistency not another tactical change.
    I know we don't have the players Liverpool have, but it's notable that they've basically played the same formation for 3 seasons now. They don't modify it because they're playing City one week and Burnley the next.
    Someone pointed out in another thread, that when we got promoted with Powell, we had 1 formation, 2 players for every position an stuck to it 99% of the time. 

We need to master 1 formation, before we can attempt 1 new one every single week. To me it's as bad as defending leads 25 mins from time whenever we are in that position. 

If youre changing from 3, to 5, to 4 at the back every week theres zero chance of building familiarity. They should be able to close there eyes and know roughly where a teammate will be.

Indeed we were very predictable tactically that season really. But it didn't help the opposition as we had excellent players and we were really good at playing with our system!

A front 2 of Yann (Hayes) and BWP (Haynes)
    Jacko on the left, Waggy or Green on the right
    2 midfielders out of Hollands, Stephens, and Russell when he was with us
    Wiggins LB, Morrison CB, Cort or Taylor CB, Solly RB
    Hamer GK
    Pritchard and Hughes as utility players
    That covers about 95% of the appearances
    Yeah, Powell signed a first choice starting XI to play a certain way.

Then backed it up with a squad, covering position for position, to play the same way.

And it worked, big time.

No Charlton team has accrued so many points in a season and we took our foot of the gas a bit right at the end. You have to give Powell the upmost respect for that. 
    All depends what you mean by the end as we took 19 out of 21 points in the last 7 games that season
  • Options
    I think the last couple of games proceeding Hartlepool. I can't remember exactly but I was hoping for about 105 points which we fell a little short of. Not complaining btw. 
  • Options
    I think the last couple of games proceeding Hartlepool. I can't remember exactly but I was hoping for about 105 points which we fell a little short of. Not complaining btw. 
    I remember we were disappointed that we only drew 2-2 away at Preston, last away game was it?

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I remember we were disappointed that we only drew 2-2 away at Preston, last away game was it?

We were 2-0 up as well
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

We were 2-0 up as well
    Agh......sounds familiar.😏😏😏
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Most awesome season points wise in my lifetime and we still Charlton’d the last game.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:

yeah, correct.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What Oggy said, that was the last game of that season. Didn't he rest a few players for the Preston game?
  • Options
    hawksmoor said:
    What Oggy said, that was the last game of that season. Didn't he rest a few players for the Preston game?
    Yep, Hawksy .... Powell gave a few of the fringe players a run out.

As Mutts said, we should have won leading 2-0 but you know, we're Charlton, super Charlton ........

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Oggy Red said:

yeah, correct.
    Went to it at Deepdale - didn’t Graham Alexander score with his last kick in professional football near enough? We basically wrote him his dream script 
  • Options
    Tough one with Famewo as Saturday is a big game but not sure whether it is worth risking him if he is not 100%. Could be worth giving one more week until Rochdale. However, it will be a huge boost for everyone if he can play against Pompey.
  • Options
    Tough one with Famewo as Saturday is a big game but not sure whether it is worth risking him if he is not 100%. Could be worth giving one more week until Rochdale. However, it will be a huge boost for everyone if he can play against Pompey.
    No way do you throw a guy who's been out for weeks straight back into the side, he needs to be eased back in. I think he's made 1 start since October.
    How do you ease a centre half back into a team? Would that be one match in the side and one match rested, or would that be bringing him on a half-time or 60th mins? 

Any other position on the pitch I agree but not sure how you do that with a centre defender without causing chaos during a match.

• Options
    No way do you throw a guy who's been out for weeks straight back into the side, he needs to be eased back in. I think he's made 1 start since October.
    But you can, playing Championship Manager. :smile:

• Options
    I bought the Portsmouth Stream area which usually allows me to watch the pre-match conference but saying I don't have sufficient permissions. Have they changed this?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How do you ease a centre half back into a team? Would that be one match in the side and one match rested, or would that be bringing him on a half-time or 60th mins? 

Any other position on the pitch I agree but not sure how you do that with a centre defender without causing chaos during a match.

Yes bring him on with 15 mins to go, then 30 mins etc, if appropriate.
  • Options

Maybe give him the last 10-15 minutes if we're defending a lead on Saturday, perhaps give him 45 minutes in the U23 game v Millwall on Monday, then look to start him v Rochdale.
  • Options
    I bought the Portsmouth Stream area which usually allows me to watch the pre-match conference but saying I don't have sufficient permissions. Have they changed this?
    Bowyer’s full pre-match press conference will be available to Valley Pass subscribers on Thursday. Click here to purchase Valley Pass.
    Maybe try again later.
  • Options

I'd consider giving him 10=15 mins at LB for his first team return. 
  • Options
    Pearce has had his chance and stuffed it while our best Left sided CB is near return. 
  • Options
    No injury update for Maddison then?
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    Still ticking boxes. 
  • Options
    801912601 said:
    Quite shocking behaviour from a manager really IMO
  • Options
    Genuinely completely forgot about maddison for 2 weeks