Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer Talks - Weekly press conference updates

Comments

• Options
    Taxi_Lad said:
    801912601 said:
    No injury update for Maddison then?
    Quite shocking behaviour from a manager really IMO
    ? We were told that he is over his injury and had a cold or something.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    801912601 said:
    If Maddison isn't training at the mo, then until he does, he's far away from the Matchday squad.

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    801912601 said:
    I just don't think he can be arsed.  Making excuses not to come back into training - taking the money and playing everyone along.  I don't know - its Just my opinion.  The previous falling out he had with manager or team or life or whatever meant that Ferguson said he would never play for them again - and he didn't.  Personally think its an attitude problem...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Keep thinking about Gilbey's nosedive in form, compared to the first couple of the games of the season when he was very influential - before he got injured.

I watched Gilbey carefully in the 1st half v Rochdale ....... and while he put in a better overall performance than many will give him credit for, he disappointed at certain key moments.

He's really struggling with lost mobility and quickness of feet, typical of players trying to come back from achilles injury.

Achilles damage is a real bugger of an injury, very unpredictable to assess how long before 100% recovery ..... and I remember myself, having picked up the injury and missing 6 weeks, despite playing every week afterwards it was really a year before I felt fully recovered.

And for players who rupture the achilles, that can be the end for some. Remember Man Utd wonderkid Norman Whiteside back in the 80s? A year out with achilles injury and never the same player again, retired at 26. And we all recall our own John Fortune rupturing his achilles at home v Palace - missed the rest of the season and when he finally returned, had lost all pace and quick turning ability.

Achilles can be a nasty injury. And to my eyes, it's no surprise that Gilbey is struggling to recover his previous form.

Wasn't it an achilles injury that Igor Vetokele got for us as well. When he finally returned he was never quite the same. 

It's what did for Kashi too. Our most dynamic and important player in the Championship to third division football in France off a badly handled achilles injury
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    Tough one with Famewo as Saturday is a big game but not sure whether it is worth risking him if he is not 100%. Could be worth giving one more week until Rochdale. However, it will be a huge boost for everyone if he can play against Pompey.
    No way do you throw a guy who's been out for weeks straight back into the side, he needs to be eased back in. I think he's made 1 start since October.
    But you can, playing Championship Manager. :smile:

*********Checks Binatone catalogue for latest game releases*********
  • Options
    Maddison isn’t injured, there was nothing to address on that front as the question was about injured players and he is not one of them.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Maddison isn’t injured, there was nothing to address on that front as the question was about injured players and he is not one of them.
    He's gone awol or isolating then?
  • Options
    When you're a manager and some of your staff regularly go sick and you know they are not (ie many Mondays), it is absolutely infuriating and very time consuming to address.
    Bowyer shouldn't have lost his temper, but I fully understand his frustration and hope that he's more calm before he is interviewed in future.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sage said:
    mendonca said:
    Sage said:
    He's gone awol or isolating then?
    Maybe Maddison should be asked what the deal is, and be honest, and not Bowyer asked or the blame put on him. There is a history as we know. You don’t get these reputations from absolutely nothing.
    His Insta updates have gone very quiet. 
  • Options
    When you're a manager and some of your staff regularly go sick and you know they are not (ie many Mondays), it is absolutely infuriating and very time consuming to address.
    Bowyer shouldn't have lost his temper, but I fully understand his frustration and hope that he's more calm before he is interviewed in future.
    Demoralising for the staff that have to do their work while they are off as well. Makes targets harder to achieve and can cost the team if bonuses not reached. A lift to all when they come out of the bosses office with a red face as you then know it is being addressed.

Deep joy when they get sacked. The people who matter are the ones that don’t let you down.

• Options
    edited January 2021
    Sage said:

So you have knowledge that Maddison feigned injury on both occasions on his last appearance and he didn't go for a scan ?

When he hobbled off you know he wasn't injured.

That is quite an allegation about a professional player.

It's a crying shame if true as at just 27 he should be at the peak of his powers not losing the plot.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    801912601 said:
    When and where were we told he was over his injury?
    We were only told he had been seen by Bows at the training ground but no mention of him actually training, only that he was speaking to the fitness team.
  • Options
    Sage said:

So you have knowledge that Maddison feigned injury on both occasions on his last appearance and he didn't go for a scan ?

When he hobbled off you know he wasn't injured.

That is quite an allegation about a professional player.

It's a crying shame if true as at just 27 he should be at the peak of his powers not losing the plot.
    I think you have maybe misinterpreted what Sage is saying.
    The way I read it was that Maddison isn’t injured at present, not that he feigned injury and wasn’t injured at all.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    I’m sure Bowyer said he was ill and then had to isolate as he had been round someone who had Covid? 

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    Taxi_Lad said:
    801912601 said:
    When and where were we told he was over his injury?
    We were only told he had been seen by Bows at the training ground but no mention of him actually training, only that he was speaking to the fitness team.
    The use of past tense in an interview when Bowyer was specifically asked about him is one I remember. Something along the lines of he had an injury and then his friend had COVID and now I think he has a cold.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Keep thinking about Gilbey's nosedive in form, compared to the first couple of the games of the season when he was very influential - before he got injured.

I watched Gilbey carefully in the 1st half v Rochdale ....... and while he put in a better overall performance than many will give him credit for, he disappointed at certain key moments.

He's really struggling with lost mobility and quickness of feet, typical of players trying to come back from achilles injury.

Achilles damage is a real bugger of an injury, very unpredictable to assess how long before 100% recovery ..... and I remember myself, having picked up the injury and missing 6 weeks, despite playing every week afterwards it was really a year before I felt fully recovered.

And for players who rupture the achilles, that can be the end for some. Remember Man Utd wonderkid Norman Whiteside back in the 80s? A year out with achilles injury and never the same player again, retired at 26. And we all recall our own John Fortune rupturing his achilles at home v Palace - missed the rest of the season and when he finally returned, had lost all pace and quick turning ability.

Achilles can be a nasty injury. And to my eyes, it's no surprise that Gilbey is struggling to recover his previous form.

Wasn't it an achilles injury that Igor Vetokele got for us as well. When he finally returned he was never quite the same. 

It's what did for Kashi too. Our most dynamic and important player in the Championship to third division football in France off a badly handled achilles injury

Gilbey and Maddison had good playing records before they joined us. Makes you wonder. 
    Gilbey picked up a nasty Achilles injury.

It's one thing to get running again but it slows down your turning and acceleration.
    No surprise he's struggled since returning.

It'll probably take him a bit longer to recover fully.

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    My understanding having re-read it a few times was that it occurred the other way around: 

“Marcus has had a few days off because he said he was ill,” explained the Charlton manager.

“Then, someone he knew had Covid. And obviously he had that ankle injury, didn’t he. So, Marcus Maddison is not training.

“I’ve not seen him for a few days. I think I saw him yesterday from a distance with the fitness people, ticking boxes.

“Ticking the box to see if he could start training again. But he’s not been in and around us for a few days now.”

so 

1. Marcus is ill,

2. Marcus isolated.

3. Marcus hurt his ankle

4. Bowyer saw Marcus with the fitness people to see when he can train again

When you read it that way, it actually doesn't seem nearly as damning either. 

Yes, you are right. 

I know some are saying it was wrong that he updated about some injuries and ignored Maddison. But that is misleading. If you listen to the actual interview he is asked about specific players and answers.

If the club had a weekly update from the medical team on the website it would be better all round as a manager is understandably not interested in knowing anything other than ‘when is he back?’ 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    My understanding having re-read it a few times was that it occurred the other way around: 

“Marcus has had a few days off because he said he was ill,” explained the Charlton manager.

“Then, someone he knew had Covid. And obviously he had that ankle injury, didn’t he. So, Marcus Maddison is not training.

“I’ve not seen him for a few days. I think I saw him yesterday from a distance with the fitness people, ticking boxes.

“Ticking the box to see if he could start training again. But he’s not been in and around us for a few days now.”

so 

1. Marcus is ill,

2. Marcus isolated.

3. Marcus hurt his ankle

Shouldn't the manager know whats wrong with a player & when the player is going to be fit again.  ??

All sounds like he couldn't give a toss imo. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

so 

1. Marcus is ill,

2. Marcus isolated.

3. Marcus hurt his ankle

Shouldn't the manager know whats wrong with a player & when the player is going to be fit again.  ??

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

so 

1. Marcus is ill,

2. Marcus isolated.

3. Marcus hurt his ankle

Sounds more like a bunch of school note excuses from Marcus

Granted Bowyer calling him out the way he did after Accrington was wrong but others have gotten on with it and proved Bowyer wrong, Maddison on the other hand appears eager to just sulk and down tools
  • Options
    "Even when we went down to ten men I thought we looked the more likely to score. In the end, we got done with that sucker-punch, ran out of legs."
    Jackson's been training em 
  • Options
    The signing is more likely to be Shinnie than Stockley. Still decent but was hoping we'd pull something out the bag ;-)
  • Options
    So which of the current loan players is the one to be made permanent?
    Famewo would be great but that's gots to be unrealistic innit?
    Stockley would be my favourite
    Shinnie I ain't seen much to get excited about, tidy and can find a pass but they're usually in 'safe' areas, there's little real impact
    Smith unlikely he's even available, let alone wants to be nailing his colours to the 3rd division so young
    Maatsen same as Smith
    Millar same as the two above, only more so

on balance then my 50p would, reluctantly, go on Shinnie but he's the 3rd most attractive of 3 possibles
  • Options
    It'll be Shinnie, but I'd prefer Stockley.