Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Bowyer Talks - Weekly press conference updates

Comments

• Options
    Bowyer pre-match and post match is proper Jekyll and Hyde stuff! 
  • Options
    Bows going to have a selection headache in midfield again now. Watson/Pratley, JFC/Morgan/Shinnie and Gilbey all available again.
    Not to mention Williams and Maddison what with the latter who rejoined training this week
    Yep spose that gives him the choice of Williams/Maddison/Millar/Smyth as our 'attacking' midfielders/wingers as well
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    I do wish we would have our own game plan and stop picking a formation to match them. Should have confidence in what we do and make them question themselves.
    Agreed, especially in games where we should be the favourites
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    Doesnt sound like we are picking a formation to match the opposition - Sounds more like he's looking at Swindon's games and is seeing what formations they're weakest against, which if so is the right approach... e.g. I dont see why Bowyer would play with a 4-4-2 if the opposition play with a five man midfield themselves as with the extra man they'll surely stand more chance of over running our players
  • Options
    Bows going to have a selection headache in midfield again now. Watson/Pratley, JFC/Morgan/Shinnie and Gilbey all available again.
    All those midfielders and I still think we need a Cullen type.
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    Doesnt sound like we are picking a formation to match the opposition - Sounds more like he's looking at Swindon's games and is seeing what formations they're weakest against, which if so is the right approach... e.g. I dont see why Bowyer would play with a 4-4-2 if the opposition play with a five man midfield themselves as with the extra man they'll surely stand more chance of over running our players
    They are 2nd from bottom, lost 14 and drew 2seems they are weakest against all but 3 teamsthey played. 
    Shouldnt require too much analysis then, but at the same time we shouldn't go into the game ignorant
  • Options
    this would seem the perfect opportunity to try the aneke / schwartz dream team from the start - if i tune in and see bogle and washington up top, i will have a tantrum and then be lumping on an away win, big time. If i see aneke and schwarz starting i will be lumping on a variety of heavy home victory scorelines - it is that simple LB, please don't over complicate it 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Bringing Shinnie on a mudbath after a month out was a bit of an odd decision for me. 
    Yep, agree with you there.

And Shinnie is a bit of a baller, passing is his game ..... and as you suggest, how is he going to play his game in a mudbath?

Never mind, got 'some minutes into him'.

• Options
    pre match spiel, aprés match comments and interrogations .. Bowyer is not the best communicator with the meedjya .. let him have a chinwag with the press once a week and let him get on with his job with less pressure from know it all commentators (like us lol)
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    They are 2nd from bottom, lost 14 and drew 2.. play our best team and make them match that, we need consistency not another tactical change.
    I know we don't have the players Liverpool have, but it's notable that they've basically played the same formation for 3 seasons now. They don't modify it because they're playing City one week and Burnley the next.
  • Options
    A few of Bowyer's comments I've put on other threads for where they're applicable, e.g. George Lapslie | Alfie Doughty | Injuries | January Transfer Talk
    Hmm... No wonder we look shattered compared to other sides after 60 minutes.

Day after a game should always be recovery related, whilst Bowyer doesn't say it isn't recovery focused he admits he knows it's physically and mentally tiring... 

Very concerning. It's a job doesn't matter if they love it or not, or if he thinks they're lucky to be doing, they need down time. 
  • Options
    Pratley will definitely start
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    A few of Bowyer's comments I've put on other threads for where they're applicable, e.g. George Lapslie | Alfie Doughty | Injuries | January Transfer Talk

Day after a game should always be recovery related, whilst Bowyer doesn't say it isn't recovery focused he admits he knows it's physically and mentally tiring... 

Very concerning. It's a job doesn't matter if they love it or not, or if he thinks they're lucky to be doing, they need down time. 
    Yes, what I was thinking.
    It might explain why we generally lose midweek games.
    Tough game Saturday, no rest Sunday, travel on coach Monday, play exhausted on Tuesday.
  • Options
    edited January 2021
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    They are 2nd from bottom, lost 14 and drew 2.. play our best team and make them match that, we need consistency not another tactical change.
    I know we don't have the players Liverpool have, but it's notable that they've basically played the same formation for 3 seasons now. They don't modify it because they're playing City one week and Burnley the next.
    Someone pointed out in another thread, that when we got promoted with Powell, we had 1 formation, 2 players for every position an stuck to it 99% of the time. 

We need to master 1 formation, before we can attempt 1 new one every single week. 

Funny thing is when we play 4-4-2 or 4-4-2 diamond we look most comfortable. Now we've started 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 pretty sure we've seen 4-2-3-1 too.

A manager panicking to find his teams best formation. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

That may well have been the case in the past but I think many clubs train the day after a game nowadays.
    Not as a matter of course but quite commonplace I’d say.
    There’s training and there’s training, I doubt it would be anything too demanding.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:
    Someone pointed out in another thread, that when we got promoted with Powell, we had 1 formation, 2 players for every position an stuck to it 99% of the time. 

We need to master 1 formation, before we can attempt 1 new one every single week. 

Funny thing is when we play 4-4-2 or 4-4-2 diamond we look most comfortable. Now we've started 4-3-3 and 3-5-2 pretty sure we've seen 4-2-3-1 too.

A manager panicking to find his teams best formation. 
    How you build a squad with 5 formations in mind, I dont know.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

That may well have been the case in the past but I think many clubs train the day after a game nowadays.
    Not as a matter of course but quite commonplace I’d say.
    There’s training and there’s training, I doubt it would be anything too demanding.
    Yeah, I'm sure coming in the day after the game shouldn't be too demanding.

But I get @Dazzler21 's point that every morning after morning becomes a bit of a mental slog; footballer's don't get the weekend off like most of us.
    At this level, football is not just physically exhausting, it's mentally and emotionally draining too.

A player needs a non-football day once a week to refresh the old batteries.

In perspective though, it's this condensed 'Covid season' playing matches Sat-Tues-Sat, week after week, that's the issue this year.
    In normal times it isn't such a problem, with the season is stretched out over a longer period.

• Options
    No news on Famewemo??? Apologies if its been mentioned elsewhere. 
  • Options
    No news on Famewemo??? Apologies if its been mentioned elsewhere. 
    Probably wont be back for Portsmouth now
  • Options
    I think you need top players to constantly change formation.  We went up 2 years ago pretty much playing the diamond for 95% of the season.  It was only toward the end, even the play off games that we adopted 3-5-2.  We had better players then imo.

of course, you can get worked out by opposition if you play the same week in, week out.  However, all the promotions/successful Charlton teams I’ve seen in my time have usually had a consistent team/formation.

Perhaps he just still doesn’t know/is comfortable with the talent at his disposal 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

We need to master 1 formation, before we can attempt 1 new one every single week. To me it's as bad as defending leads 25 mins from time whenever we are in that position. 

If youre changing from 3, to 5, to 4 at the back every week theres zero chance of building familiarity. They should be able to close there eyes and know roughly where a teammate will be.

Indeed we were very predictable tactically that season really. But it didn't help the opposition as we had excellent players and we were really good at playing with our system!

A front 2 of Yann (Hayes) and BWP (Haynes)
    Jacko on the left, Waggy or Green on the right
    2 midfielders out of Hollands, Stephens, and Russell when he was with us
    Wiggins LB, Morrison CB, Cort or Taylor CB, Solly RB
    Hamer GK
    Pritchard and Hughes as utility players
    That covers about 95% of the appearances
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    shine166 said:

We need to master 1 formation, before we can attempt 1 new one every single week. To me it's as bad as defending leads 25 mins from time whenever we are in that position. 

If youre changing from 3, to 5, to 4 at the back every week theres zero chance of building familiarity. They should be able to close there eyes and know roughly where a teammate will be.

Indeed we were very predictable tactically that season really. But it didn't help the opposition as we had excellent players and we were really good at playing with our system!

A front 2 of Yann (Hayes) and BWP (Haynes)
    Jacko on the left, Waggy or Green on the right
    2 midfielders out of Hollands, Stephens, and Russell when he was with us
    Wiggins LB, Morrison CB, Cort or Taylor CB, Solly RB
    Hamer GK
    Pritchard and Hughes as utility players
    That covers about 95% of the appearances
    Yeah, Powell signed a first choice starting XI to play a certain way.

Then backed it up with a squad, covering position for position, to play the same way.

And it worked, big time.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Keep thinking about Gilbey's nosedive in form, compared to the first couple of the games of the season when he was very influential - before he got injured.

I watched Gilbey carefully in the 1st half v Rochdale ....... and while he put in a better overall performance than many will give him credit for, he disappointed at certain key moments.

He's really struggling with lost mobility and quickness of feet, typical of players trying to come back from achilles injury.

Achilles damage is a real bugger of an injury, very unpredictable to assess how long before 100% recovery ..... and I remember myself, having picked up the injury and missing 6 weeks, despite playing every week afterwards it was really a year before I felt fully recovered.

And for players who rupture the achilles, that can be the end for some. Remember Man Utd wonderkid Norman Whiteside back in the 80s? A year out with achilles injury and never the same player again, retired at 26. And we all recall our own John Fortune rupturing his achilles at home v Palace - missed the rest of the season and when he finally returned, had lost all pace and quick turning ability.

Achilles can be a nasty injury. And to my eyes, it's no surprise that Gilbey is struggling to recover his previous form.

Wasn't it an achilles injury that Igor Vetokele got for us as well. When he finally returned he was never quite the same. 

Yes,he was returned too soon. And he pulled something again at Welling  in a friendly...sad because  he was a really  good forward .
    Was that the close season when we had no manager, and nobody looked after the welfare of players coming back from injury?
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    Keep thinking about Gilbey's nosedive in form, compared to the first couple of the games of the season when he was very influential - before he got injured.

I watched Gilbey carefully in the 1st half v Rochdale ....... and while he put in a better overall performance than many will give him credit for, he disappointed at certain key moments.

He's really struggling with lost mobility and quickness of feet, typical of players trying to come back from achilles injury.

Achilles damage is a real bugger of an injury, very unpredictable to assess how long before 100% recovery ..... and I remember myself, having picked up the injury and missing 6 weeks, despite playing every week afterwards it was really a year before I felt fully recovered.

And for players who rupture the achilles, that can be the end for some. Remember Man Utd wonderkid Norman Whiteside back in the 80s? A year out with achilles injury and never the same player again, retired at 26. And we all recall our own John Fortune rupturing his achilles at home v Palace - missed the rest of the season and when he finally returned, had lost all pace and quick turning ability.

Achilles can be a nasty injury. And to my eyes, it's no surprise that Gilbey is struggling to recover his previous form.

Wasn't it an achilles injury that Igor Vetokele got for us as well. When he finally returned he was never quite the same. 

Yes,he was returned too soon. And he pulled something again at Welling  in a friendly...sad because  he was a really  good forward .
    Was that the close season when we had no manager, and nobody looked after the welfare of players coming back from injury?
    Yes. Criminal negligence. 

Looks like we've had a setback with Famewo, then. Again. 
  • Options
    Valley Pass subscribers and supporters who have purchased a live video streaming pass for Saturday's game can watch the press conference, If you haven't got your live video streaming pass for Saturday yet, click here to purchase.
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/600aab9261478/watch-lee-bowyers-pre-swindon-town-press-conference