Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Apologies if this has already been said as I'm too annoyed to read all the comments but just as well Patrick Bauer didn't decide to skip the play-offs last season, eh?
    But if he hadn't have scored in the 94th minute would he just be seen as another Judas? 
    Yes probably. 

But he did turn up, and he was professional. That’s the difference!
    No, it is completely different and at the end of a normal season and not under the current crazy conditions.
    If he hadn't have been the goal-scoring hero then many on here would just see him as a money-grabbing foreigner not a hero. 
  • Options
    Footballers are privileged individuals fulfilling dreams that 1000s of kids would love to and are paid well to do just that. No he might not be on 20k a week, but I'm sure he earns a lot more than most of us. He should honor his contract in what is a very unusual situation. Even if that means playing upto 30th June. I'm genuinely dissapointed with him, I think he has really let himself and us fans down
  • Options
    Honesty doesn’t pay , he should have coasted the 2-3 games till the end of June ....

And left a hero

then taken shit for not seeing out the rest of the season 
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    cafctom said:
    Apologies if this has already been said as I'm too annoyed to read all the comments but just as well Patrick Bauer didn't decide to skip the play-offs last season, eh?
    But if he hadn't have scored in the 94th minute would he just be seen as another Judas? 
    Yes probably. 

No, it is completely different and at the end of a normal season and not under the current crazy conditions.
    If he hadn't have been the goal-scoring hero then many on here would just see him as a money-grabbing foreigner not a hero. 
    He is contracted as a football player at Charlton until the end of June not until the time of the last game of a normal season. Not expecting anyone to play beyond their current contract, unless it gets extended. Unless of course his contract is worded that he doesn't need to play in June (as ordinarily it woud be expected the last game would be in May - maybe there is something in the wording that refers to June differently, as no one would have expected the last game not to be in May (which would mean he isn't in breach)? Is there a reason the contract is until the end of June despite them expecting the last game to be in May?

Not sure if comparable to a teacher leaving a school at the end of school year. When someone I know changed schools they were paid by the school they were leaving until the end of August even though they had finished teaching there. I forget teh exct dates but it was certainly weeks after the end fo the school year. On that note, how do schools/teachers stand if they are asked to work during the time of the usual school holidays this year (so children can catch up) as they are paid by the school but wouldn't ordinarily work? Will they get overtime, as despite being paid, they are due the 6(?) week break after all the hours they have done throught the school year?
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Footballers are privileged individuals fulfilling dreams that 1000s of kids would love to and are paid well to do just that. No he might not be on 20k a week, but I'm sure he earns a lot more than most of us. He should honor his contract in what is a very unusual situation. Even if that means playing upto 30th June. I'm genuinely dissapointed with him, I think he has really let himself and us fans down
    I'm sure that your disappointment will keep him awake at night.
    As a professional footballer he has a limited time to earn money. He is now at a crucial time in his career where he can obtain a contract that will secure his future.
    His affiliation with Charlton is less than two years. Ours, as fans, may be 10/20/30/40/50/60 years. Is it any wonder that he may see things differently? 
    I really think that people should get some perspective. I, as a Charlton fan of many years, do not want to see us relegated, but I can fully understand why Lyle does not want to risk his future in these exceptional circumstances. If the future had been concluded under normal circumstances then I have no doubt that Lyle would have been busting a gut, as he had in every other game, to secure our survival. 

• Options
    cafctom said:
    Yes probably. 

He is contracted as a football player at Charlton until the end of June not until the time of the last game of a normal season. Not expecting anyone to play beyond their current contract, unless it gets extended. Unless of course his contract is worded that he doesn't need to play in June (as ordinarily it woud be expected the last game would be in May - maybe there is something in the wording that refers to June differently, as no one would have expected the last game not to be in May (which would mean he isn't in breach)? Is there a reason the contract is until the end of June despite them expecting the last game to be in May?

Not sure if comparable to a teacher leaving a school at the end of school year. When someone I know changed schools they were paid by the school they were leaving until the end of August even though they had finished teaching there. I forget teh exct dates but it was certainly weeks after the end fo the school year. On that note, how do schools/teachers stand if they are asked to work during the time of the usual school holidays this year (so children can catch up) as they are paid by the school but wouldn't ordinarily work? Will they get overtime, as despite being paid, they are due the 6(?) week break after all the hours they have done throught the school year?
    What teachers do or don't do is irrelevant.

Yes he is contracted until the end of June but can you tell me about a previous season when that has included playing club matches until the end of June or beyond? Or even beyond May? 

The June 30th date is clearly a date of convenience for both player and club and has never been used as a club playing date but merely a date after which registrations can be transferred. 
  • Options
    Stig said:
    There's something else about this contract situation that I think pushes the decision to leave. A normal season which finished at the end of April would give any player getting hurt two months to recover. Sure, every now and then some poor sod will pick up a career ending injury, but the chances are mercifully small. The vast majority of players injured at the end of the season will be fit by the time their contracts are up. This time around the games are so close to the end of the contract period that even a minor injury could put a player out of action when the transfer window is open. For a player who had a nice deal lined up this season is far riskier, because even a relatively simple injury could delay a move leaving potential suitors to look around for alternatives. No-one is going to want to fail a medical and then sweat it out hoping the buyers bide their time, because the chances are they won't. This, combined with the fact that we don't even know what's going to happen with next season, means that it's full of uncertainty. Indeed practically the only certainty is that however this season finishes, Charlton will still be a nut house - and the biggest doubt about that is whether the club will actually exist. To be a 30 year old player with one last throw of the career-dice left, sticking around would be utter madness and doing something that could jeopardise a move would be very risky indeed.
    Man Utd waited a year to sign Van Nistelrooy. If Taylor thinks he's that good then Rangers/Fulham/ Blyth Spartans would surely wait until he was fit again.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is it worth reminding everyone of this with people saying that Solly / Taylor shouldnt be paid?

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-in-talks-to-defer-wages-to-save-club-money-during-lockdown/

Why should they get paid? Just for being 'them'?
  • Options
    Taylor sucks. So does anyone who says what he has done is OK.
  • Options
    Is Taylor still training? Surely having him about the place, with his ‘i’m too good for this club’ attitude, can’t be good for team morale.
    If I was Bowyer I'd tell him to piss off & not to turn up ever again. Let him sit at home for the next 3 months. Seriously, we haven't even got this season back up again & he's thinking about next season. He might find the new one doesnt start until September. Lots of time to drop jars of beetroot onto your foot, fall through a glass coffee table or cut your hand peeling an orange.
    Yes what a punishment!! That's probably exactly what he wants. Sit at home, rest, reduce your chances of catching Covid, sign a 20k a week contract in August (or whenever players can sign).

He's quite likely only turning up to training because if he doesn't then he'll be fined.
  • Options
    Is Taylor still training? Surely having him about the place, with his ‘i’m too good for this club’ attitude, can’t be good for team morale.
    If I was Bowyer I'd tell him to piss off & not to turn up ever again. Let him sit at home for the next 3 months. Seriously, we haven't even got this season back up again & he's thinking about next season. He might find the new one doesnt start until September. Lots of time to drop jars of beetroot onto your foot, fall through a glass coffee table or cut your hand peeling an orange.
    Yes what a punishment!! That's probably exactly what he wants. Sit at home, rest, reduce your chances of catching Covid, sign a 20k a week contract in August (or whenever players can sign).

He's quite likely only turning up to training because if he doesn't then he'll be fined.

Just turning up for training to stay fit for his next team. His contract should be terminated and his butt kicked out the door.
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I'm sure that your disappointment will keep him awake at night.
    As a professional footballer he has a limited time to earn money. He is now at a crucial time in his career where he can obtain a contract that will secure his future.
    His affiliation with Charlton is less than two years. Ours, as fans, may be 10/20/30/40/50/60 years. Is it any wonder that he may see things differently? 
    I really think that people should get some perspective. I, as a Charlton fan of many years, do not want to see us relegated, but I can fully understand why Lyle does not want to risk his future in these exceptional circumstances. If the future had been concluded under normal circumstances then I have no doubt that Lyle would have been busting a gut, as he had in every other game, to secure our survival. 

Perspective? Oh right. Silly us for caring more about CAFC survival than some greedy twot's ego.
  • Options
    Honesty doesn’t pay , he should have coasted the 2-3 games till the end of June ....

And left a hero

Then we would not all be talking about Lyle. Sometimes I think he wants it to be the Lyle show. 

• Options
    Not remotely surprised by this turn of events, it was an absolute dot on the card.

Sorry folks, but you all have to realize that we all LOVE Charlton Athletic, for many of us it is the love of our lives and we think of little else.

For Lyle Taylor and 99% of other players they don't care if it's Charlton Athletic, Wigan Athletic or the Rajasthan Royal Cavaliers, all they care about is how much they can earn and how quickly they can earn it.

Lyle Taylor is being honest about it, that's the difference.

Taylor is probably on around 4K per week at Charlton and is obviously getting offered 20k elsewhere on a three-year deal so he can basically make 3 million over that contract - taking home about 1.7 million post-tax (or whatever it is).

That's not David Beckham style cash but it's enough to set him and his family up for life at just 33 so I don't blame him in the slightest for not wanting to jeopardise that.

Do we really think Lyle is the only player in the EFL doing this? No chance! There'll be plenty of others in the same boat, except of course they will be far more subtle in the way they do it.

The bottom line is simple, football is full of whores and prostitutes it's just that some are more honest about it than others.

Cracking final paragraph.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2020

And left a hero

Then we would not all be talking about Lyle. Sometimes I think he wants it to be the Lyle show. 

Do you seriously think if he left , having played 2-3 games , at the end of June he’d get no shit .

• Options
    edited June 2020
    So it’s ok for Solly but not Taylor according to some.
    Both are doing what’s best for them , fact 
    and of course Solly would have turned down contracts that trebled his wages because he luvs Charlton dontcha know
  • Options
    People comparing this situation with a normal end of season why ? Do they know that next season starts in 3 months time  after the end of this or the transfer window closes In 4 months after the end of this season because that’s approximately what the gap would have expected to be . The financial situation is another unknown factor in there with income for clubs at risk as well. 
    Lyle has put himself first , shock horror . 
    Football isn’t this romantic honourable thing of passion for our club like we all wish it would be .
    Just ask Solly 
  • Options
    Talk about what, I wonder?

• Options
    Curve ball... Could this be Bow playing games? Lyle has been seen in training, hull preparing for Charlton without Taylor would be a MASSIVE advantage, and it would be the Lyle Taylor show when he did play, which I'm sure he would love. Let's be honest, wouldn't be the first time Lee has lied about a players availability.
  • Options
    Parkinson was told not to play Jonjo so as to make sure the sale to Liverpool went through as we approached the end of the season , Jonjo wanted to play !
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    CAFCsayer said:
    Curve ball... Could this be Bow playing games? Lyle has been seen in training, hull preparing for Charlton without Taylor would be a MASSIVE advantage, and it would be the Lyle Taylor show when he did play, which I'm sure he would love. Let's be honest, wouldn't be the first time Lee has lied about a players availability.

I've never quite got these mind games - any manager or coach in the professional game would prepare their team for all eventualities. Besides, I'm not sure Hull have the luxury of picking a different team if they play us with or without Taylor, and tactics can be changed in a heartbeat.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Not remotely surprised by this turn of events, it was an absolute dot on the card.

Sorry folks, but you all have to realize that we all LOVE Charlton Athletic, for many of us it is the love of our lives and we think of little else.

For Lyle Taylor and 99% of other players they don't care if it's Charlton Athletic, Wigan Athletic or the Rajasthan Royal Cavaliers, all they care about is how much they can earn and how quickly they can earn it.

Lyle Taylor is being honest about it, that's the difference.

Taylor is probably on around 4K per week at Charlton and is obviously getting offered 20k elsewhere on a three-year deal so he can basically make 3 million over that contract - taking home about 1.7 million post-tax (or whatever it is).

That's not David Beckham style cash but it's enough to set him and his family up for life at just 33 so I don't blame him in the slightest for not wanting to jeopardise that.

Do we really think Lyle is the only player in the EFL doing this? No chance! There'll be plenty of others in the same boat, except of course they will be far more subtle in the way they do it.

The bottom line is simple, football is full of whores and prostitutes it's just that some are more honest about it than others.

I think the point here is that whilst most (probably not 99%) don't care what club it is, the majority do care about the consequences of their actions:-

- Care about being a competitive sportsman who does the best for their club and teammates
     - Care that they do the right thing, which is to do everything you can to help your team win
     - Care that you don't let your friends, colleagues and teammmates down at a critical moment
     - Care that your legacy is not one of selfishness, but selflessness

Maybe I'm naive in thinking this - either way, if he is refusing to do what he can to support the club that has paid and supported him for two years and the thousands of fans that he has willingly courted, then I hope he goes down in Charlton history in the same bracket as Kevin Muscat, Matt Southall, Ron Noades, Simon Oleman, Mike Langley and Roland Duchatelet.