Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    cafctom said:
    The moral aspect of this is a massive one for me as well, besides the contractual.

Had we been in mid-table and relegation/promotion was highly unlikely anyway, then I’d actually have little issue with what is going on.

But knowing that we are in a relegation battle, and knowing that the future of the club could be on the line with everything that is going on...how could you look your team-mates in the eye again by doing this?!
    I completely agree with you but think this is an increasingly old fashioned view. 
  • Options
    Are there actually any professions where an employee's contract stipulates they cannot leave at any time they choose?

Lyle can't expect his wages for June but I don't really see why shouldn't tell his obnoxious employers that he's found something better! 
  • Options
    supaclive said:
    He has a contract.  Refusal to play is a breach. 

Damages for breach.  Earnings and potential earnings. 

We won't pay him. 

He won't care.

Lyle you were, for 18 months, a top man in my eyes.  You've just lost that respect. 

Play games until 30 June then you are free to choose.  By admitting you won't give your all in the meantime, another little part of my love for this game died in front of my very eyes.

This is right now, as close as I have ever been to giving up on Charlton and modern day football.

RIP CAFC.  I'm beginning to see no way back for us.
    How I feel too. 
  • Options
    Morals/romance/loyalty have nothing to do with this debate - that would influence anything that happened post 30th of June. Up until that point he is contracted to Charlton Athletic and it is not “old fashioned”, “romantic” or “a fans eye view” to expect him to fulfil his contract. 

After that he is free to do what he wants. 
  • Options
    Are there actually any professions where an employee's contract stipulates they cannot leave at any time they choose?

Lyle can't expect his wages for June but I don't really see why shouldn't tell his obnoxious employers that he's found something better! 
    Footballers can ultimately do what they want but they understand the nature of the game. Lyle plays the social media game with the fans so presumably can expect more of a reaction as a result.

He's looked after himself but fans feel let down. 
  • Options

I noticed that Lyle liked a comment on insta from Dexter Blackstock saying the club should offer him a 1 year deal.

Maybe, just maybe he is holding out for that? We can only hope. I think there's better chance of seeing pigs fly but hey ho.

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    If Taylor refuses to play due to the reasons cited and moves to a English club. 

Can we not go after them for effectively "tapping up". It's seems there is a offer for him from somewhere 
    Probably not... Its this whole COVID shit that has effectively moved the goalposts massively

Taylor / his Agent are acting no differently any other out of contract player by trying to get a good deal effective from 1st July - the only difference this time round is that the season hasnt been completed and is set to restart

The goalposts haven't moved. The regulations state that a player over the age of 23 with 6 months or less remaining on his contract is free to negotiate a pre-contract agreement with another club.
    Don't believe that's the case with moving from English club to English club. Think its one month prior to contract ending. 

Yes you are correct - English Club to English Club is one month. So from yesterday he was free to negotiate a deal with another English club.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:
    It always seemed to me that the Montserrat stuff was just a glorified holiday whenever it came up. I’m sure he was proud to represent them but it does wind me up that he was prepared to risk getting injured for them but not for us when he is contracted to keep playing.
    They were trying to qualify for the Gold Cup which as a shop window gets players from these small countries into the MLS.

I think Lyle hates ESI as much as we all do. But sadly that hate and other factors is more than his love for the manager, team mates and us fans.
  • Options
    Also, he did point out in that recent instagram live interview that his injury was in fact 2 weeks before the international duty but he played on and made it worse whilst in Montserrat.
  • Options
    Also, he did point out in that recent instagram live interview that his injury was in fact 2 weeks before the international duty but he played on and made it worse whilst in Montserrat.
    Wasnt that the Swansea game at the end of the year? 
  • Options
    Course it was 
  • Options

I noticed that Lyle liked a comment on insta from Dexter Blackstock saying the club should offer him a 1 year deal.

Maybe, just maybe he is holding out for that? We can only hope. I think there's better chance of seeing pigs fly but hey ho.

He’s insane if he thinks Charlton are going to be handing out contracts to anyone at the moment, and even more insane if he would consider signing it!
  • Options
    The issue with Taylor is clear cut for most people - he signed a contract and should play to the end of that contract.

But what about Solly? He hasn't played a League game since December. Did Bowyer previously tell him that he won't play again?

If that were the case, is Solly within his rights to say I'm not playing now even if I'm needed? Does he get the sympathy vote or do exactly the same rules apply to him as Taylor? And let's suppose Taylor found out that Solly was being given a "free" pass, would he not be right to claim the same? 

Equally, how do you feel if you're an Albie Morgan and still in contract? You're contracted to play, you want to play but you've been discarded by the manager.

Just being Devil's Advocate and trying to suggest that there can be many different versions of the truth and what is fit and proper for different individuals that have, seemingly, exactly the same rules - they are all under contract.

• Options
    Wasnt that the Swansea game at the end of the year? 

I can't quite remember, but I do recall him saying that's why I was taken off at half time in that game. What game he was referring to, I can't remember off the top of my head.

• Options
    supaclive said:

We won't pay him. 

He won't care.

Lyle you were, for 18 months, a top man in my eyes.  You've just lost that respect. 

Play games until 30 June then you are free to choose.  By admitting you won't give your all in the meantime, another little part of my love for this game died in front of my very eyes.

This is right now, as close as I have ever been to giving up on Charlton and modern day football.

How I feel too. 
    Agree
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    If Taylor refuses to play due to the reasons cited and moves to a English club. 

Can we not go after them for effectively "tapping up". It's seems there is a offer for him from somewhere 
    Probably not... Its this whole COVID shit that has effectively moved the goalposts massively

Taylor / his Agent are acting no differently any other out of contract player by trying to get a good deal effective from 1st July - the only difference this time round is that the season hasnt been completed and is set to restart

The goalposts haven't moved. The regulations state that a player over the age of 23 with 6 months or less remaining on his contract is free to negotiate a pre-contract agreement with another club.
    Don't believe that's the case with moving from English club to English club. Think its one month prior to contract ending. 

Yes you are correct - English Club to English Club is one month. So from yesterday he was free to negotiate a deal with another English club.

Can't help but feel those negotiations took place a lot sooner than yesterday
  • Options
    The issue with Taylor is clear cut for most people - he signed a contract and should play to the end of that contract.

But what about Solly? He hasn't played a League game since December. Did Bowyer previously tell him that he won't play again?

If that were the case, is Solly within his rights to say I'm not playing now even if I'm needed? Does he get the sympathy vote or do exactly the same rules apply to him as Taylor? And let's suppose Taylor found out that Solly was being given a "free" pass, would he not be right to claim the same? 

Equally, how do you feel if you're an Albie Morgan and still in contract? You're contracted to play, you want to play but you've been discarded by the manager.

Just being Devil's Advocate and trying to suggest that there can be many different versions of the truth and what is fit and proper for different individuals that have, seemingly, exactly the same rules - they are all under contract.

There is no obligation on a club to play a footballer, but as long as he is still being paid and is not injured then he must make himself available for selection.

• Options
    It's weird with Lyle. He could have just said that he was uncomfortable coming back with Covid still about and that he didn't think it was right to restart, or that the precautions aren't sufficient. We would have been annoyed but you can't argue with it. I think that he wants to be able to still train to keep in shape ahead of his magical new deal though, and I also do think that Lyle is a few fairly unpleasant things but a liar isn't really one of them, so he's said the real reason he's not playing. Bowyer's then publicised the reason because he wants to convinced Lyle to change his mind, either through pressure and shame from the media or the outpourings from the fanbase. I don't think either will work on Lyle though. I do find it interesting as well that Bowyer doesn't seem to bothered about Solly needing to 'finish what he starts'; guess he's not that bothered about being without Solly. He should be though, because the idea of Adam Matthews playing two games a week for two months is ridiculous. It's all a big mess.
    Has anything come out about other teams having this issue yet though? Or are there just no other teams who have players they want to keep on expiring deals?
  • Options
    supaclive said:

We won't pay him. 

He won't care.

How I feel too. 
    Agreed
  • Options
    It's such a shame really,  as he was very close to going down as a Charlton legend at one point , now all he will be remembered for is this. Nowt as a fickle footballers. 
  • Options
    I imagine Lyle didn't take any wages from the club when he was injured.
  • Options
    Really? Why would you think that?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Of course he did