Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Is Taylor still training? Surely having him about the place, with his ‘i’m too good for this club’ attitude, can’t be good for team morale.
    If I was Bowyer I'd tell him to piss off & not to turn up ever again. Let him sit at home for the next 3 months. Seriously, we haven't even got this season back up again & he's thinking about next season. He might find the new one doesnt start until September. Lots of time to drop jars of beetroot onto your foot, fall through a glass coffee table or cut your hand peeling an orange.
    Yes what a punishment!! That's probably exactly what he wants. Sit at home, rest, reduce your chances of catching Covid, sign a 20k a week contract in August (or whenever players can sign).

He's quite likely only turning up to training because if he doesn't then he'll be fined.
    The window will officially open on June 10, 2020, though many deals will not become official until July 1.
     However, due to a quirk of the calendar, this summer the Premier League will actually trade for an extra 24 hours compared to the rest of Europe. Aug. 31 is a public holiday in England this year, so the window will close at 5 p.m. BST (noon ET) on Tuesday, Sept. 1.

The EFL has not yet announced its plans, but it is expected to fall into line with the top division having also closed early in recent seasons.
    This is crazy.

You will have so many players who've decided to stay and play on for a club when they may have already signed for another. In some cases you may even be playing against your new club. 

They should've just said the window won't open and no deals will be announced until the season ends.
  • Options
    Where's the feigning an injury because he is a sulker and wants to leave and keeps posting things on twitter that present himself as the victim of a concerted campaign of abuse but won't stop waffling on and it all looks a bit suspicious brigade?

• Options
    The reason Taylor didn't give another excuse, Covid etc, is because he doesn't give a shit what anybody else thinks.

He does what he wants and bollocks to everyone else.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Carter said:
    Having stewed on this yesterday and actually listened to what Lee Bowyer said I'm pretty pissed off with Taylor 

To go to the extreme, what is the point of contracts if players can openly do this? 

Trying my hardest to be objective, I get why he wants to go, he has always been the type of character you love if he plays for you and despise if he plays against you. As a professional footballer you absolutely have to honour the contract you signed and I doubt this is smoke and mirrors from Bowyer and Taylor, what's the point? 

The ownership can be blamed and most of our problems can be blamed correctly on the owners but regardless if you are fit and being paid by the club you cannot refuse to play, that is ridiculous. Really disappointed in Solly if that's what he has done as well but I didn't pay as much attention to his situation and Davis has been about as much use as tits on a fish since coming in but I understand if he would rather not travel and stay in a London hotel or commute
    Ahh fish-tits - Imgur
  • Options
    I do understand - but do not agree with - Lyle's stance. In the past, he has been only too eager to praise the fans but is now letting them down by refusing to play. Show some cojones, pal.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Food for thought...

Could Lyle have been suspended by Southall and Nimer for basically calling them both conmen?

Nah I doubt it. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Food for thought...

Could Lyle have been suspended by Southall and Nimer for basically calling them both conmen?

Nah I doubt it. 
    He’s at the training ground. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Food for thought...

Nah I doubt it. 
    Yeah easy to forget a player refusing to play would still be allowed to train with the first team. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    se9addick said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Food for thought...

Nah I doubt it. 
    Yeah easy to forget a player refusing to play would still be allowed to train with the first team. 
    It’s a bit odd - is he’s genuinely refusing to play surely Bowyer wouldn’t want him at Sparrows?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If he is still under contract he should be playing or shouldn't get paid.
    Perhaps the club should force him to work in the Club Shop dealing with the backlog?
  • Options
    If the season starts on the 20th and his contract ends at the end of the month then surely he should be available in the 2, possibly 3 games in that period? He is still under contract. That said, he is doing another player out of a place in the team if he did that. 
    Would he have refused to play the last 9 games if the season had finished when it should have? Surely the injury he is worried about picking up could have occurred then as well. 

Really disappointed with his attitude on this.  Sadly the days of loyalty in football are long gone.  It’s a shame that his time at the club is going end like this. 

Anyway, £u3k him, It’s time for somebody else to step up and be the main man.

• Options
    edited June 2020
    I wonder how many people on here giving him abuse would stick with their current employer if they were as much of a basket case as we are and a competitor came along waving a salary four times what they were on at said basket case.

Fuck off about 'loyalty' - what's he got to be loyal about? Even if he was a Charlton fan (which he's not), why should he turn down the opportunity to get out of the shit show we are at the moment - especially in the current pandemic climate - and better his situation?

There's a lot of people who somehow think that football should be different to any other business. It. That's one of the reasons it's so fucked. It shouldn't be different to any other business.

Out in the real world, employers have no loyalty to employers any more - that disappeared in the 80s with the bowler hat, carriage clock and handshake after 40 years. Footballers might appear to have the upper hand in the employer/employee relationship, but that isn't as clear cut as it looks - they're commodities to be traded around. Yes their wages are obscene, but so are failing CEOs who fuck companies over then disappear, only to turn up somewhere else six months later after a nice paid-for holiday at the expense of the shareholders of the company they just gutted, or asset strippers who bug a company and sell off its crown jewels, strip it bare then leave it to fail after creaming the profits.

It's not football that's broken - it's society!
    As I said, Terminate his and Solly's contracts, they can sign for other sides and we can remove the bad energy that may be generated having want away players in training. 

*EDIT* Obviously rip up Davis' loan contract too. 

• Options
    I wonder how many people on here giving him abuse would stick with their current employer if they were as much of a basket case as we are and a competitor came along waving a salary four times what they were on at said basket case.

Fuck off about 'loyalty' - what's he got to be loyal about? Even if he was a Charlton fan (which he's not), why should he turn down the opportunity to get out of the shit show we are at the moment - especially in the current pandemic climate - and better his situation?

There's a lot of people who somehow think that football should be different to any other business. It. That's one of the reasons it's so fucked. It shouldn't be different to any other business.

Out in the real world, employers have no loyalty to employers any more - that disappeared in the 80s with the bowler hat, carriage clock and handshake after 40 years. Footballers might appear to have the upper hand in the employer/employee relationship, but that isn't as clear cut as it looks - they're commodities to be traded around. Yes their wages are obscene, but so are failing CEOs who fuck companies over then disappear, only to turn up somewhere else six months later after a nice paid-for holiday at the expense of the shareholders of the company they just gutted, or asset strippers who bug a company and sell off its crown jewels, strip it bare then leave it to fail after creaming the profits.

Absolutely agree with you, no one here would turn down a job that would secure their financial future ,for loyalty to their current employer let alone a basket case one,
  • Options

So in response to the scenario in your first sentence, I would hand in my notice giving my contractual notice period. Obviously we have limited information about the details of his contract but I would be surprised if a footballer is simply allowed to give notice before a season ends citing a concern about getting injured as the cause. I am no expert on football contracts but I would be amazed if he is not in breach of his contract.

Similarly, if a football club wants to let an employee before the end of his contract they will have both contractual and legal obligations under employment law.

I am afraid these things still apply "in the real world" of football in 2020.

Hey folks I managed to post without using the "f" word 3 times.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2020
    msomerton said:

Absolutely agree with you, no one here would turn down a job that would secure their financial future ,for loyalty to their current employer let alone a basket case one,
    Refuse to play - have your contract terminated. That should be it, if he is unwilling to play or negotiate on playing, then terminate the contract immediately. I am sure he'd accept it as fair. If he doesn't then hopefully the other clubs would pull out after seeing how he's conducted himself.

He'll get a good deal no matter what, but £40k a week? I doubt it.
  • Options

I agree with Ally Mccoist "But, when you sign a contract, any contract, any profession, any walk of life, if you're happy to sign the contract you should at least be happy to enough to honour the contract and see it out.

Personally, whenever I have given notice to an employer I have continued to do my job whilst being paid to do so. 
    Exactly. 
  • Options
    The only thing about the argument that he should play til the end of his contract in the end of June is that obviously when signed, that would apply to playing up til mid May to end the season. Its obviously a completely unprecedented situation that he would be playing in Charlton colours 3 days before his contract expires and he is a member of another team.

We have had the chance to extend his contract and pay him for ultimately what he has fully earned in his performances on the pitch, our ridiculous club couldn't have done less to do so, so its not really a surprise he is done.

I will still see Lyle and Solly as heroes for what they have given this team on the pitch in a time where under this ownership, and clown show of senior management we could have been well heading down to League 2 based on the end of Robinson's reign. You cannot blame any player for wanting to get out after the Southall debacle.
  • Options
    The only thing about the argument that he should play til the end of his contract in the end of June is that obviously when signed, that would apply to playing up til mid May to end the season. Its obviously a completely unprecedented situation that he would be playing in Charlton colours 3 days before his contract expires and he is a member of another team.

We have had the chance to extend his contract and pay him for ultimately what he has fully earned in his performances on the pitch, our ridiculous club couldn't have done less to do so, so its not really a surprise he is done.

I will still see Lyle and Solly as heroes for what they have given this team on the pitch in a time where under this ownership, and clown show of senior management we could have been well heading down to League 2 based on the end of Robinson's reign. You cannot blame any player for wanting to get out after the Southall debacle.
    Huh? His contract end date is June 30th, if he didn’t fancy playing beyond 31st May 2020 he should have co-termed the end date of his deal with his intentions. 
  • Options
    I don't know if someone has already mentioned it on here, but I wonder if there's been input from the team he has lined up. We're all assuming it's Brentford based on their previous interest, what if Brentford are saying 'we'll pay you £20,000 a week from 1st July, do not under any circumstances play before then.' They might not care, but it's possible that he's been given a stern warning that he's not to play if he wants the deal to go through. Still annoying, but you'd understand it better
  • Options
    If Lyle isn't going to play all 9 games then configure the squad for all those games not just 3.
  • Options
    I don't know if someone has already mentioned it on here, but I wonder if there's been input from the team he has lined up. We're all assuming it's Brentford based on their previous interest, what if Brentford are saying 'we'll pay you £20,000 a week from 1st July, do not under any circumstances play before then.' They might not care, but it's possible that he's been given a stern warning that he's not to play if he wants the deal to go through. Still annoying, but you'd understand it better
    Would you? If the case is as you lay out the Lyle is in breach of contract and Brentford are in breach of rules in place to prevent “tapping” other teams players up. 

I’m not stupid, I know that players who are out of contract in the summer will be getting something lined up before the season ends - I don’t recall too many literally refusing to play for their current club whilst they are still in contract though. In fact, just looking at our current squad, quite a few are in a similar situation on the 1st of July, only two are behaving this way though.