Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    Not remotely surprised by this turn of events, it was an absolute dot on the card.

Sorry folks, but you all have to realize that we all LOVE Charlton Athletic, for many of us it is the love of our lives and we think of little else.

For Lyle Taylor and 99% of other players they don't care if it's Charlton Athletic, Wigan Athletic or the Rajasthan Royal Cavaliers, all they care about is how much they can earn and how quickly they can earn it.

Lyle Taylor is being honest about it, that's the difference.

Taylor is probably on around 4K per week at Charlton and is obviously getting offered 20k elsewhere on a three-year deal so he can basically make 3 million over that contract - taking home about 1.7 million post-tax (or whatever it is).

That's not David Beckham style cash but it's enough to set him and his family up for life at just 33 so I don't blame him in the slightest for not wanting to jeopardise that.

Do we really think Lyle is the only player in the EFL doing this? No chance! There'll be plenty of others in the same boat, except of course they will be far more subtle in the way they do it.

The bottom line is simple, football is full of whores and prostitutes it's just that some are more honest about it than others.

Just because he is being honest, that makes it okay?

he is under contract!! He can’t pick and choose when he wants to play just because it suits him

im fairly certain that joe aribo knew the play off final would be his last for the club, did he refuse to play.

• Options
    I would be more inclined to give Solly more pelters than Taylor all day long. 

Long time club captain, testimonial benefactor, coming to end of career, ‘one of our own’ etc 

where is the vitriol aimed at him ? 

Might start the anti Solly thread for balance. 
  • Options
    So people reckon that if this was a normal season and we were about to enter the League One play offs /Final Taylor would refuse to play .... except this season isn’t like a normal season 
    apples and pears 
    am I missing something here 
    of course he’s being a selfish twunt but all this romantic bollox is just that 
    he like all of them are out for themselves 
    no amount of love from us will pay his bar bill or gambling debts in 5 years time 
    just ask Super Clive Mendonca 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Long time club captain, testimonial benefactor, coming to end of career, ‘one of our own’ etc 

Exactly , shock horror footballer out for himself 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

I guess because we don't know the reason behind why Solly doesnt want to play whereas its pretty clear for the reasons behind Taylor's decision

Is Chris worried about passing anything on to his family - Is it because he knows he's not getting anothwr deal and having had injury concerns for years wants to protect himself seeing he's probably not had a bumper pay deal

Its certainly obvious he's not off to a club higher in the Championship than where we're currently sitting is it

Either way dont you think its best to reserve judgement until the full facts are out there before looking like a prima domma whinging bitch?

If one thing is clear out of all this its that it dont matter if you've given a club endless years of service or whether you've used the club as a stepping stone, the only time when its acceptable is when the fans no longer want you which is nothing short of hypocritical. 
  • Options
    End of the day the players in question are simply taking advantage of an option that is available to them that is not available to everyday workers

Its not right that Footballers should be able to do this but in which case its the system that stinks rather than the actions of those taking advantage of it

People will complain about the obscene wages that Footballers get given yet not once will they stop and think that if the wage wasnt offered in the first place then they wouldnt be on that sort of money - Of course its never going to happen because if just one club were to take that stance then every other would take advantage of it

Yet is that still the fault of the Footballer? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Taylor is the star man who can save us from relegation. If he gets injured, clubs would wait, he would play/work again.

where is solly going to end up, gillingham, A.F.C. Wimbledon? If he gets injured, these clubs won’t wait and will go elsewhere! If solly gets injured, he is unlikely to get a club again.

two different scenarios and two different markets.

solly had disappointed me but I understand why. Taylor is a con man like mouthall
  • Options
    Possibly Bowyer is trying to apply pressure here in an attempt to get him to change his mind. If he keeps him around training and he isn’t disruptive he may just want to play after all. 

Maybe. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Comparing him and Williams is also wrong Williams has been on 15/20k a week for about 4/5 years and he’s mentioned before that his mental happiness comes first as he doesn’t need the money as such or for a better wording doesn’t drive him as much as his happiness 
  • Options
    So people reckon that if this was a normal season and we were about to enter the League One play offs /Final Taylor would refuse to play .... except this season isn’t like a normal season 
    apples and pears 
    am I missing something here 
    of course he’s being a selfish twunt but all this romantic bollox is just that 
    he like all of them are out for themselves 
    no amount of love from us will pay his bar bill or gambling debts in 5 years time 
    just ask Super Clive Mendonca 
    I mean it’s not “ romantic bollox”, it’s contract law.
  • Options
    If Taylor refuses to play due to the reasons cited and moves to a English club. 

Can we not go after them for effectively "tapping up". It's seems there is a offer for him from somewhere 
  • Options
    I understand Taylor's actions but I think players should honour their contracts - I would feel less annoyed with him if he didn't play the social media game so much.

I certainly won't clap him should I see him play for anoher team.

I don't like players picking and choosing when they play and I realise my views are old fashioned but it's a team game and far too many players forget that. 
  • Options

Can we not go after them for effectively "tapping up". It's seems there is a offer for him from somewhere 
    Probably not... Its this whole COVID shit that has effectively moved the goalposts massively

Taylor / his Agent are acting no differently any other out of contract player by trying to get a good deal effective from 1st July - the only difference this time round is that the season hasnt been completed and is set to restart
  • Options

Probably not... Its this whole COVID shit that has effectively moved the goalposts massively

Taylor / his Agent are acting no differently any other out of contract player by trying to get a good deal effective from 1st July - the only difference this time round is that the season hasnt been completed and is set to restart
    I understand Covid has created a situation in football. 

But Taylor didn't say Covid was the reason. Whilst as a consequence Covid may be related to Taylors situation due to timescales between seasons and reduced recovery time if he was to get Injured. 

He's basically said I have an offer and I'm not playing due to risk of injury, or has been told he cannot play by his new club. 
  • Options

There’s one, quite a fundamental, difference between the way Taylor is allegedly* behaving and most other out of contract players are behaving though, isn’t there?

*I say “alleged“ as I wouldn’t be surprised if there was more to this than meets the eye, as with basically everything involving Charlton Athletic these days
  • Options
    Hopefully its a game by bowyer/lyle. 

Theres far too much leniency on here for me. If we’ve paid him he should play or give the money back. Yes lyle wants to look after himself, but we need to look after cafc who are in dire straits as it is. 
  • Options

The goalposts haven't moved. The regulations state that a player over the age of 23 with 6 months or less remaining on his contract is free to negotiate a pre-contract agreement with another club.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mccoist flintoff debating it now on talksport. Both saying he should honour the contract he signed. 
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Mccoist flintoff debating it now on talksport. Both saying he should honour the contract he signed. 
    Nice to hear someone saying that.
  • Options
    Talal said:
    JamesSeed said:
    99% of us would do exactly the same as Lyle's doing, were we in the same situation. It’s a profession after all. 
    Still gutted though. 
    Don't agree with that, he's under contract I think more people would honour it than not. After June 30th I'd have no problem with him not playing. 
    We’re seeing this through fans’ eyes. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    JamesSeed said:
    99% of us would do exactly the same as Lyle's doing, were we in the same situation. It’s a profession after all. 
    Still gutted though. 
    No they wouldn't - not if they were in a 'profession' and being 'professional'.

I'm sorry Bob but being in the profession of football I do think that 99% of us would do the same.
    I have to say that listening to the responses of so many "fans" over the last 12 hours has been like listening to the whining of a 14 year old boy just dumped by his first girlfriend. "But she told me that she loved me!!" 
    I just want to take issue with this word 'professional' as being the central reasoning behind Taylor refusing to play.
    as in ' any professional would do the same'.

If one is a professional then you cant' choose which bits of the job you want to be professional about or at which times.

The refusal of Taylor to play (certainly in the forthcoming games between 20th June and the end of his contract)
    is a clear breach of contract and therefore highly unprofessional

Semantics I know and it doesn't change anything - its just that it really grates that that Lyle's actions are defended by some as being those of a professional when those actions bring both the profession and the individual into public disrepute.

• Options
    bobmunro said:

The goalposts haven't moved. The regulations state that a player over the age of 23 with 6 months or less remaining on his contract is free to negotiate a pre-contract agreement with another club.
    Don't believe that's the case with moving from English club to English club. Think its one month prior to contract ending. 
  • Options
    Just compare Taylor to Bauer and that’s all you need to do. One knows he is getting a big move, doesn’t want to jeopardise it, so refuses to play. The other knows he’s getting a big move, plays to the end, giving his all, honours his contract, then moves on. 
    I agree that Taylor should honour his contract but you can't compare the two situations.

If our season had run as normal and finished on 2 May away at Leeds i have no doubt at all that if fit, Taylor would've played. As even if injured you have at least 3 months until the new season.

But here you have a guy who is out of contract potentially one week after the season resumes. It's also been suggested that the new season may even resume as little as 3-4 weeks after the current one ends. It's understandable why he wouldn't want to risk getting injured and jeopardise a 20k a week contract offer.
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:

Solly has been far from integral for us for a couple seasons. 

His contribution hasnt won us as many games as Taylors contribution, quite the complete opposite in some eyes...... 
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Talal said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Still gutted though. 
    Don't agree with that, he's under contract I think more people would honour it than not. After June 30th I'd have no problem with him not playing. 
    We’re seeing this through fans’ eyes. 
    Contracts should be honoured - most people don't have this option in their workplace.
  • Options
    The moral aspect of this is a massive one for me as well, besides the contractual.

Had we been in mid-table and relegation/promotion was highly unlikely anyway, then I’d actually have little issue with what is going on.

But knowing that we are in a relegation battle, and knowing that the future of the club could be on the line with everything that is going on...how could you look your team-mates in the eye again by doing this?!