Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    edited February 19
    He can do one with his back heels ☹️
  • Options
    edited February 19
    Taylor- assist at the w/e -one of those crosses that just beg to be put in.Also nice backheel in build up for 1st goal
    Do you actually sit there and hope he scores or does something in a match?

Genuine question. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    TelMc32 said:
    iaitch said:
    Ha ! Ha! Scores one  makes one and sets up a sitter which is missed by a colleague. Just saying. We could have had him for free. He would have taught these youngsters thing about holding the ball up.About being a striker.
    Just saying. We'll see by the end of the season. When he scores the winner against us ( and sends us down? I hope we're clear by then)
    JUST SAYING.
    Do you mean a forward or someone who withdraws their labour? 
    He has a particular set of skills, which are still lacking in our current squad. Particularly hold up play , but also every other aspect of striker's role, mainly strikers instinct, physicality, contribution to defensive duties, and one question mark is whether mobility/speed would have deteriorated in his long lay-off.. At the time, pre Xmas it wasn't clear if the current owners had /were prepared to spend money . This has changed in the last 2 weeks. He was available  on a free so would have improved our squad in skills we are lacking. It's all changed now  we may well buy a striker and Taylor is under contract at Cambridge. So a missed opportunity, but the owners are willing to burn some money (their money). I hope it works out well.
    Sticks in the throat a little that someone who invokes the name of one of our greatest ever captains, a player who drove us on during some of our most successful years, has such a love-in for a toe rag who downed tools and couldn’t be arsed to put on a shirt when he was needed most 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Waited to respond to this.
     Kinsella is as far I'm concerned THE greatest captain that I saw* . What you say about his fighting spirit is spot on. You omitted  his level of skill, which was considerable, including a block tackle that would stop a JCB, and an accurate and powerful shot too rarely seen as a DM. Skill wise I would rate Scott Parker better, but as a package Kinsella gave more to the cause imo, if I remember correctly in the first P~L season only Roy Keane had  better stats. He always put heart and soul into a performance for CAFC. . He played for Ireland with similar commitment and success, and did a great job when Keane walked out.

Lyle Taylor is not on the same page. But neither are we. We are in a  poor situation.In L1. If you know a man that can do a job to get you out of a fix, no, worse than that, a really difficult situation then I would consider them very seriously and try to not let emotion cloud your judgement. At L1 level he has a particular set of skills including hold up play and also ability to defend as well as all the other goal scoring traits that would make him a candidate. Wycombe were unlucky and probably just paid him whilst he was getting up to speed.
    Its  "early days" but he has scored 3 for Cambridge, but as I say "lets see at the end of the season".
    The moment has passed and he has signed for Cambridge. But, at the time he was available he was in a weak negotiating position, and there was a lot in the CAFC club media about reducing losses from £8m/pa to £1-2m /pa. So LT was a bargain which fitted the budget. He had the skills, there were questions about his mobility and "whether " he still had "the edge/reactions" of a striker.  

By the way I have never said I liked him. I understand that he didn't play in those final games as he could make a lot of money on his next contract.That was a rational decision for him. Bowyer accepted this (grudgingly/reluctantly). It's all business, and making money.
     I also think that the injuries over the Xmas period 10 games with 14 senior pros out had more to do with our relegation than 3 games (which he was contracted to play) and a few more (extended season due to Covid -players were not contracted to play but some volunteered).

Forget  your notions of "playing for the shirt"- not like Kinsella who would have laid down in front of that JCB.

LT was an opportunity to get a player with L1 skills we needed. Put emotion aside.

* I've supported CAFC since '66. You may have seen better captains in that time, there are gaps when I moved from the area, had young kids and couldn't afford the money and /or the time  to attend. Only saying he's the best I remember from my attendances at the Valley.
    Perfectly fair and reasonable argument. However, Taylor is the only Charlton player I can think of (and definitely the only one still playing) for whom all reason goes out of the window. I will never never forgive him and I’m just not accepting the ‘who can blame him’, ‘good luck to him’, ‘we’d all have done the same’ comments. 
    This.

It's like dating an ex-girlfriend who cheated on you just because you need a shag. Plenty of others out there who will treat you better. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    TelMc32 said:
    iaitch said:
    Ha ! Ha! Scores one  makes one and sets up a sitter which is missed by a colleague. Just saying. We could have had him for free. He would have taught these youngsters thing about holding the ball up.About being a striker.
    Just saying. We'll see by the end of the season. When he scores the winner against us ( and sends us down? I hope we're clear by then)
    JUST SAYING.
    He has a particular set of skills, which are still lacking in our current squad. Particularly hold up play , but also every other aspect of striker's role, mainly strikers instinct, physicality, contribution to defensive duties, and one question mark is whether mobility/speed would have deteriorated in his long lay-off.. At the time, pre Xmas it wasn't clear if the current owners had /were prepared to spend money . This has changed in the last 2 weeks. He was available  on a free so would have improved our squad in skills we are lacking. It's all changed now  we may well buy a striker and Taylor is under contract at Cambridge. So a missed opportunity, but the owners are willing to burn some money (their money). I hope it works out well.
    Sticks in the throat a little that someone who invokes the name of one of our greatest ever captains, a player who drove us on during some of our most successful years, has such a love-in for a toe rag who downed tools and couldn’t be arsed to put on a shirt when he was needed most 🤷🏻‍♂️
     Kinsella is as far I'm concerned THE greatest captain that I saw* . What you say about his fighting spirit is spot on. You omitted  his level of skill, which was considerable, including a block tackle that would stop a JCB, and an accurate and powerful shot too rarely seen as a DM. Skill wise I would rate Scott Parker better, but as a package Kinsella gave more to the cause imo, if I remember correctly in the first P~L season only Roy Keane had  better stats. He always put heart and soul into a performance for CAFC. . He played for Ireland with similar commitment and success, and did a great job when Keane walked out.

Lyle Taylor is not on the same page. But neither are we. We are in a  poor situation.In L1. If you know a man that can do a job to get you out of a fix, no, worse than that, a really difficult situation then I would consider them very seriously and try to not let emotion cloud your judgement. At L1 level he has a particular set of skills including hold up play and also ability to defend as well as all the other goal scoring traits that would make him a candidate. Wycombe were unlucky and probably just paid him whilst he was getting up to speed.
    Its  "early days" but he has scored 3 for Cambridge, but as I say "lets see at the end of the season".
    The moment has passed and he has signed for Cambridge. But, at the time he was available he was in a weak negotiating position, and there was a lot in the CAFC club media about reducing losses from £8m/pa to £1-2m /pa. So LT was a bargain which fitted the budget. He had the skills, there were questions about his mobility and "whether " he still had "the edge/reactions" of a striker.  

By the way I have never said I liked him. I understand that he didn't play in those final games as he could make a lot of money on his next contract.That was a rational decision for him. Bowyer accepted this (grudgingly/reluctantly). It's all business, and making money.
     I also think that the injuries over the Xmas period 10 games with 14 senior pros out had more to do with our relegation than 3 games (which he was contracted to play) and a few more (extended season due to Covid -players were not contracted to play but some volunteered).

Forget  your notions of "playing for the shirt"- not like Kinsella who would have laid down in front of that JCB.

LT was an opportunity to get a player with L1 skills we needed. Put emotion aside.

* I've supported CAFC since '66. You may have seen better captains in that time, there are gaps when I moved from the area, had young kids and couldn't afford the money and /or the time  to attend. Only saying he's the best I remember from my attendances at the Valley.
    Perfectly fair and reasonable argument. However, Taylor is the only Charlton player I can think of (and definitely the only one still playing) for whom all reason goes out of the window. I will never never forgive him and I’m just not accepting the ‘who can blame him’, ‘good luck to him’, ‘we’d all have done the same’ comments. 
    This.

It's like dating an ex-girlfriend who cheated on you just because you need a shag. Plenty of others out there who will treat you better. 
    Look I would agree with the first part. Second part- well how long and how much do you "invest" to get what you want?
     If your house was collapsing with subsidence you would get the best builder/engineer/architect to work on it that was available and you can afford. We are possibly collapsing towards Div 2 (I hope not, but it's possible). There was talk that the club had to run on only losing £1m a year, instead of current £7 to £8m.  LT was available and could do a job ( I believe an excellent job) for us.
    All round striker (+ he can defend at corners etc unlike some). He was in a poor negotiating position, we could get him at a beneficial rate to the club. However the owners have put their hand into their pocket(s) and come up with Ladapo. I pray he starts scoring freely. ATM LT is  ahead  of him in his contribution to Cambridge. Let's see at the end of the season.

Someone posted that"all rational thought goes out the window when it comes to LT" - that's my point exactly.
    A rational decision to sign him, opposed by emotional irrationality .

Sure he's not the only answer- but he was one we could have afforded and it turns out the owners are digging deep to try and hoping to save us.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sent off in injury time against Bolton
  • Options
    Did he have any shots?
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    TelMc32 said:
    iaitch said:
    JUST SAYING.

This.

Look I would agree with the first part. Second part- well how long and how much do you "invest" to get what you want?
     If your house was collapsing with subsidence you would get the best builder/engineer/architect to work on it that was available and you can afford. We are possibly collapsing towards Div 2 (I hope not, but it's possible). There was talk that the club had to run on only losing £1m a year, instead of current £7 to £8m.  LT was available and could do a job ( I believe an excellent job) for us.
    All round striker (+ he can defend at corners etc unlike some). He was in a poor negotiating position, we could get him at a beneficial rate to the club. However the owners have put their hand into their pocket(s) and come up with Ladapo. I pray he starts scoring freely. ATM LT is  ahead  of him in his contribution to Cambridge. Let's see at the end of the season.

Someone posted that"all rational thought goes out the window when it comes to LT" - that's my point exactly.

Sure he's not the only answer- but he was one we could have afforded and it turns out the owners are digging deep to try and hoping to save us.

League Two.
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    TelMc32 said:
    iaitch said:
    JUST SAYING.

This.

Heard there was a big health and safety issue at a site in Cambridge this evening. Big Foreman Taylor, after tieing up his horse and removing his poncho and cowboy hat, failed to ensure that correct safety equipment was used and someone from the Bolton builders got hit in the head...

Also heard he doesn't have his Public LYLE-bility insurance... 
  • Options
    Sent off for a proper off the ball forearm to the back of Jack Iredale's head. Totally unnecessary, he's still an absolute prick I see.
    Needs a long ban for that. About 11 games should do it
    Dirty dirty 

• Options
    I say ban him for 11 games 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    I say ban him for 11 games 
    You’re not the only one…
  • Options
    I still love him. So does Mrs Grumpy. 
  • Options
    It's all planned. Spares him a few days to give a speech at Cambridge Uni over the weekends.
  • Options
    I still love him. So does Mrs Grumpy. 

From Lyle Taylor baby to a hate figure for most even if not for Mr & Mrs Grumpy.

I don't feel any hate for Taylor, just felt utter desolation that he did a runner like a ex lover that suddenly disappears out of one's life when problems arise.

When Taylor is on the bench and Kaikai and Bonne are ahead of you, then you have gone from Big school to an approved school even if it's in Cambridge !

Deserved Red card last night and 3 match exclusion to follow with time on the naughty step and may even lead to expulsion at the end of term.
  • Options
    Harris will sign him for Pwoper facking Wall next season, remember where you heard it first .
  • Options
    Lyle Taylor let himself and the Cambridge down-  highlights show Iredale hauling him back (off the ball ) as they come into camera  shot and LT takes matters into his own hands with an inside lower arm swipe to the back of Iredales  head. They end up on the ground and it looks like LT kicks out at Iredale though allsorts could be happening in that bundle.

LT in the wrong and sent off. ?Iredle booked.

Guess that Taylor would say you can  just be a doormat or stand up for yourself.
  • Options
    Lyle Taylor let himself and the Cambridge down-  highlights show Iredale hauling him back (off the ball ) as they come into camera  shot and LT takes matters into his own hands with an inside lower arm swipe to the back of Iredales  head. They end up on the ground and it looks like LT kicks out at Iredale though allsorts could be happening in that bundle.

LT in the wrong and sent off. ?Iredle booked.

Guess that Taylor would say you can  just be a doormat or stand up for yourself.
    You can twat opponents in the head and get sent off, or you can not twat opponents in the head and avoid getting sent off.
    mind you Iredale, Taylor's  'victim' is an annoying tw** as he also showed on Saturday, .. still no excuse as Cambs were still in with a glimmer of a chance even that late in the game .. Bolton certainly know how to play the referee
  • Options
    Lots of players are annoying tw*ts.