Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    It’s not just about the goals he scores, Taylor may have been hugely uplifting in the changing room and has loads of assist with his overall play.
    that explains why they are flying up the table

oh, erm, my mistake

I think he's one of those characters, and possibly similar to Bonne, when things are going there way they are great to have in the team and changing room. When things are not going their way, they are a disruptive influence and not good for the team at all. 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    It’s not just about the goals he scores, Taylor may have been hugely uplifting in the changing room and has loads of assist with his overall play.

oh, erm, my mistake

I think he's one of those characters, and possibly similar to Bonne, when things are going there way they are great to have in the team and changing room. When things are not going their way, they are a disruptive influence and not good for the team at all. 
    This, it wouldn’t surprise me if both Taylor and Bonne had one eye on scoring against, lairy celebrations etc and trying to relegate us at there place, As it is, the roles could be reversed now and wouldn’t be surprised if Taylor got himself out the game now just to avoid all the inevitable flak he’ll get.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

oh, erm, my mistake

When looking at himself in the mirror only 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The number of former Charlton players in their team, when the away fans start chanting "Charlton reject", we'll have to be more specific...
    ‘Charlton Rejects’
  • Options
    Only a month until this game now, surely the tickets will be available soon ? 
  • Options
    I think Cambridge usually start with Taylor  with Bonne on the bench. I would hate it if  either of those 2 scored. Both would easily make my first 11 most disliked ex Charlton players.

I can see Taylor possibly going back to AFC Wimbledon next season ? ( If they don’t get promoted ). Bonne might be lucky and play in league 2 but wouldn’t be surprised to see him in Non League ( his luck getting  league clubs has to run out some time ).
  • Options
    I think Cambridge usually start with Taylor  with Bonne on the bench. I would hate it if  either of those 2 scored. Both would easily make my first 11 most disliked ex Charlton players.

I can see Taylor possibly going back to AFC Wimbledon next season ? ( If they don’t get promoted ). Bonne might be lucky and play in league 2 but wouldn’t be surprised to see him in Non League ( his luck getting  league clubs has to run out some time ).
    Not sure why you dislike Bonne…..is that as a person or just as a very ineffective player? 
    The latter I can understand but as far as I know he did nothing to make himself disliked as a person.
  • Options
    edited March 16

Not sure why you dislike Bonne…..is that as a person or just as a very ineffective player? 
    The latter I can understand but as far as I know he did nothing to make himself disliked as a person.

When he left he chose his words badly along the lines of his head was turned when he heard of QPR's interest, it was a bit muggy as I recall and didn't go down well.  Then I think his wife had a bit of a moan up.  Whoever our manager was when he came back made a big thing of saying he had talked to him about it all. 
    I wasn't at Gills away this season but again I don't think he really ingratiated himself to our fans there either.
    He also liked some Ipswich social media stuff on our game just after they thumped us 6-0 with him playing for us.
    But mainly, you are right, it is because he is a dreadful player.
  • Options
    TelMc32 said:
    iaitch said:
    Ha ! Ha! Scores one  makes one and sets up a sitter which is missed by a colleague. Just saying. We could have had him for free. He would have taught these youngsters thing about holding the ball up.About being a striker.
    Just saying. We'll see by the end of the season. When he scores the winner against us ( and sends us down? I hope we're clear by then)
    JUST SAYING.
    Do you mean a forward or someone who withdraws their labour? 
    He has a particular set of skills, which are still lacking in our current squad. Particularly hold up play , but also every other aspect of striker's role, mainly strikers instinct, physicality, contribution to defensive duties, and one question mark is whether mobility/speed would have deteriorated in his long lay-off.. At the time, pre Xmas it wasn't clear if the current owners had /were prepared to spend money . This has changed in the last 2 weeks. He was available  on a free so would have improved our squad in skills we are lacking. It's all changed now  we may well buy a striker and Taylor is under contract at Cambridge. So a missed opportunity, but the owners are willing to burn some money (their money). I hope it works out well.
    Sticks in the throat a little that someone who invokes the name of one of our greatest ever captains, a player who drove us on during some of our most successful years, has such a love-in for a toe rag who downed tools and couldn’t be arsed to put on a shirt when he was needed most 🤷🏻‍♂️
    Waited to respond to this.
     Kinsella is as far I'm concerned THE greatest captain that I saw* . What you say about his fighting spirit is spot on. You omitted  his level of skill, which was considerable, including a block tackle that would stop a JCB, and an accurate and powerful shot too rarely seen as a DM. Skill wise I would rate Scott Parker better, but as a package Kinsella gave more to the cause imo, if I remember correctly in the first P~L season only Roy Keane had  better stats. He always put heart and soul into a performance for CAFC. . He played for Ireland with similar commitment and success, and did a great job when Keane walked out.

Lyle Taylor is not on the same page. But neither are we. We are in a  poor situation.In L1. If you know a man that can do a job to get you out of a fix, no, worse than that, a really difficult situation then I would consider them very seriously and try to not let emotion cloud your judgement. At L1 level he has a particular set of skills including hold up play and also ability to defend as well as all the other goal scoring traits that would make him a candidate. Wycombe were unlucky and probably just paid him whilst he was getting up to speed.
    Its  "early days" but he has scored 3 for Cambridge, but as I say "lets see at the end of the season".
    The moment has passed and he has signed for Cambridge. But, at the time he was available he was in a weak negotiating position, and there was a lot in the CAFC club media about reducing losses from £8m/pa to £1-2m /pa. So LT was a bargain which fitted the budget. He had the skills, there were questions about his mobility and "whether " he still had "the edge/reactions" of a striker.  

By the way I have never said I liked him. I understand that he didn't play in those final games as he could make a lot of money on his next contract.That was a rational decision for him. Bowyer accepted this (grudgingly/reluctantly). It's all business, and making money.
     I also think that the injuries over the Xmas period 10 games with 14 senior pros out had more to do with our relegation than 3 games (which he was contracted to play) and a few more (extended season due to Covid -players were not contracted to play but some volunteered).

Forget  your notions of "playing for the shirt"- not like Kinsella who would have laid down in front of that JCB.

LT was an opportunity to get a player with L1 skills we needed. Put emotion aside.

* I've supported CAFC since '66. You may have seen better captains in that time, there are gaps when I moved from the area, had young kids and couldn't afford the money and /or the time  to attend. Only saying he's the best I remember from my attendances at the Valley.
    I agree with you on Taylor .  I dispute Kins offering more than Parker .  Parker was our best player most weeks between December 00 and December 03 in the premier league against every team .  Kins was superb - he did play well in our first two premier league seasons but he didn’t dominate against the elite like Parker 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    wmcf123 said:
    TelMc32 said:
    iaitch said:
    Ha ! Ha! Scores one  makes one and sets up a sitter which is missed by a colleague. Just saying. We could have had him for free. He would have taught these youngsters thing about holding the ball up.About being a striker.
    Just saying. We'll see by the end of the season. When he scores the winner against us ( and sends us down? I hope we're clear by then)
    JUST SAYING.
    He has a particular set of skills, which are still lacking in our current squad. Particularly hold up play , but also every other aspect of striker's role, mainly strikers instinct, physicality, contribution to defensive duties, and one question mark is whether mobility/speed would have deteriorated in his long lay-off.. At the time, pre Xmas it wasn't clear if the current owners had /were prepared to spend money . This has changed in the last 2 weeks. He was available  on a free so would have improved our squad in skills we are lacking. It's all changed now  we may well buy a striker and Taylor is under contract at Cambridge. So a missed opportunity, but the owners are willing to burn some money (their money). I hope it works out well.
    Sticks in the throat a little that someone who invokes the name of one of our greatest ever captains, a player who drove us on during some of our most successful years, has such a love-in for a toe rag who downed tools and couldn’t be arsed to put on a shirt when he was needed most 🤷🏻‍♂️
     Kinsella is as far I'm concerned THE greatest captain that I saw* . What you say about his fighting spirit is spot on. You omitted  his level of skill, which was considerable, including a block tackle that would stop a JCB, and an accurate and powerful shot too rarely seen as a DM. Skill wise I would rate Scott Parker better, but as a package Kinsella gave more to the cause imo, if I remember correctly in the first P~L season only Roy Keane had  better stats. He always put heart and soul into a performance for CAFC. . He played for Ireland with similar commitment and success, and did a great job when Keane walked out.

Lyle Taylor is not on the same page. But neither are we. We are in a  poor situation.In L1. If you know a man that can do a job to get you out of a fix, no, worse than that, a really difficult situation then I would consider them very seriously and try to not let emotion cloud your judgement. At L1 level he has a particular set of skills including hold up play and also ability to defend as well as all the other goal scoring traits that would make him a candidate. Wycombe were unlucky and probably just paid him whilst he was getting up to speed.
    Its  "early days" but he has scored 3 for Cambridge, but as I say "lets see at the end of the season".
    The moment has passed and he has signed for Cambridge. But, at the time he was available he was in a weak negotiating position, and there was a lot in the CAFC club media about reducing losses from £8m/pa to £1-2m /pa. So LT was a bargain which fitted the budget. He had the skills, there were questions about his mobility and "whether " he still had "the edge/reactions" of a striker.  

By the way I have never said I liked him. I understand that he didn't play in those final games as he could make a lot of money on his next contract.That was a rational decision for him. Bowyer accepted this (grudgingly/reluctantly). It's all business, and making money.
     I also think that the injuries over the Xmas period 10 games with 14 senior pros out had more to do with our relegation than 3 games (which he was contracted to play) and a few more (extended season due to Covid -players were not contracted to play but some volunteered).

Forget  your notions of "playing for the shirt"- not like Kinsella who would have laid down in front of that JCB.

LT was an opportunity to get a player with L1 skills we needed. Put emotion aside.

* I've supported CAFC since '66. You may have seen better captains in that time, there are gaps when I moved from the area, had young kids and couldn't afford the money and /or the time  to attend. Only saying he's the best I remember from my attendances at the Valley.
    I agree with you on Taylor .  I dispute Kins offering more than Parker .  Parker was our best player most weeks between December 00 and December 03 in the premier league against every team .  Kins was superb - he did play well in our first two premier league seasons but he didn’t dominate against the elite like Parker 
    For us Parker was IMO the more accomplished player. 

But Kinsella knitted the team together and was our leader.

• Options
    edited March 16
    wmcf123 said:
    TelMc32 said:
    iaitch said:
    JUST SAYING.

I remember an article in a paper in our first season in the Premiership that said that Kinsella was competing extremely well against Keane/Vieira/Ince etc but was hampered by Redfern and the teams lack of goals etc. Kins was a brilliant captain, coming from Colchester United and being Irish player of the year in 2000. He dominated until his knees gave out and Parkers' ability to carry the ball and overall dynamism overtook Kinsella's midfield General style of play. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:

Reckless and dangerous driving in a residential street
    The original reason was a comment when with us saying "his head was turned" by QPR, or words to that effect.
  • Options
    Have any tickets been allocated for the Cambridge game? would love to see them relegated, come Cheltenhan you can catchem!!!
  • Options
    I know he might thrive on riling up opposition supporters but I hope our lot give Taylor absolute dogs abuse when we play them. It would be thoroughly deserved.
    There’s no doubt about it, he will get it big time when we play them. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    I know he might thrive on riling up opposition supporters but I hope our lot give Taylor absolute dogs abuse when we play them. It would be thoroughly deserved.
    There’s no doubt about it, he will get it big time when we play them. 

And he won't give a F. He loves the attention.