Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options

Also without sounding arrogant cause again I don't intend to come across that way.

But you cannot and I seriously mean you cannot claim to love animals and eat them. If you love something you wouldn't harm it. Eating meat and loving animals just don't go hand in hand. It's like saying you hate racism but tolerate your best mate racially abusing people? Not exactly the same but it's something you claim to be against and it's in your control to stop it but you choose not to

In your opinion
    No mate that's not an opinion, how can you feel affection for something and then kill/eat/harm it. You think you love animals there's a difference. Not trying to sound like a dick.

And yeah I come into contact with other animals, why?
    No, it is an opinion I'm afraid and by saying what you have, you must include vegans have cats and dogs.

I feel affection towards my pet dogs and I have respect for the animals I eat, which are very well looked after, or sourced from places I know, or sourced by myself from the wild.

Sorry mate trying to reply.

Regardless of how well an animal is looked after believe it or not it doesn't want to die. It genuinely sounds horrible when cows and pigs are slaughtered. I'm not really that emotional (sat through it's a wonderful life without crying, twice) but watching footage from a slaughter house tore me up.

Even if they are killed in the most 'humane' possible way, they are still being killed.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

People love other people. But they don't eat them.

• Options
    I will be going on this for the second time next year, it is the place to learn about whole food plant based nutrition.

http://www.atasteofhealth.org/events/program.htm

A few books that I would recommend on the subject available on Amazon.

"How not to Die" by Dr Michael Greger

"The Cheese Trap" by Dr Neal Barnard

"The China Study" by Dr T.Colin Campbell

I have given a copy of How not to Die to one of my work colleagues, a giant of a young man, he went Vegan after reading only half of it. It is the younger generation that get the message.
  • Options

Gents - you're starting to stray into tinfoil hat territory. You do your arguments a disservice when you get evangelical and daft about them. There are plenty of perfectly valid arguments in support of humanity moving towards being a much more vegetarian (and vegan, if you so choose) diet. Some of the tripe in the past few posts ain't it.

Vegans can't eat tripe surely?
  • Options
    .....and nor should anyone else....
  • Options
    what Leroy said and remember what happened to the leader of the tin foil hat mob in Japan a few days ago !
  • Options
    The ‘If you loved animals you wouldn’t eat them’ argument is so stupid I don’t even know where to start with it.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Gents - you're starting to stray into tinfoil hat territory. You do your arguments a disservice when you get evangelical and daft about them. There are plenty of perfectly valid arguments in support of humanity moving towards being a much more vegetarian (and vegan, if you so choose) diet. Some of the tripe in the past few posts ain't it.

What have I said that would be classed as tin hat territory? Saying things like 'the earth is flat' is tin hat. Everything I've said has just been stating the obvious or recommending that if you truly are interested in why vegans are vegans, watch a documentary. I'm hardly Alex Jones pal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Also without sounding arrogant cause again I don't intend to come across that way.

But you cannot and I seriously mean you cannot claim to love animals and eat them. If you love something you wouldn't harm it. Eating meat and loving animals just don't go hand in hand. It's like saying you hate racism but tolerate your best mate racially abusing people? Not exactly the same but it's something you claim to be against and it's in your control to stop it but you choose not to

In your opinion
    No mate that's not an opinion, how can you feel affection for something and then kill/eat/harm it. You think you love animals there's a difference. Not trying to sound like a dick.

No, it is an opinion I'm afraid and by saying what you have, you must include vegans have cats and dogs.

I feel affection towards my pet dogs and I have respect for the animals I eat, which are very well looked after, or sourced from places I know, or sourced by myself from the wild.

You Have A Choice, They Don’t.
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

In your opinion

A choice of what?

Do you keep pets?
  • Options
    Where do we stand on the culling of animals to protect other wildlife?

are we allowed to then eat that meat?
  • Options

Stevelamb said:

In your opinion

A choice of what?

Do you keep pets?
    They (the animals) have no choice but to die when you eat them through your choice.
    I have one Vegan Labrador rescued after having 11 litters and about to be shot as she could no longer reproduce and one rescued cat with a bent hind leg.
  • Options
    I've shot more animals in the interest on crop protect than I have solely to eat. Although the majority of it still gets eaten. Is that not against vegan morals?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    So @Stevelamb you've forced an animal that would catch live prey in the wild to also be a vegan?
    Stevelamb said:

I have one Vegan Labrador

Why is your cat not vegan?

Practice what you preach, lay out a chicken thigh and some vegan food you'd normally feed your dog and see what she goes for. Then question if your dog is making a choice.

Not all Vegetarians and Vegans are despicable, but you, well you are about as hypocritical and despicable as a vegan can get...

You have taken away your dog's choice? You have said eat vegan or die...

You admit the animal does not want to die and therefore you know that it has no choice but to eat the food you force upon it.

You bring hatred and contempt on yourself by selling the idea of Veganism by telling us how much better than us you Vegans are, that you'll live longer etc.

Coming back to your dog and the argument about the shape of certain creatures teeth and their relevant action:

Dogs teeth are not designed for chewing leafs etc, they are designed for cutting flesh.

It's almost hilarious that the argument has moved from:

Human's aren't meant to eat meat - their teeth are flat like a cattle's teeth not like a dogs etc...

to:

"Dog's aren't meant to eat meat - it's bad for them". SERIOUSLY WTF?

I am certain were I to offer your dog a raw or cooked chicken thigh, it'd rather come home with me than be abused and forced to eat food that is not natural for it's diet by you.

Do what you do, protest Animal rights etc... but maybe look at how hypocritical you're being as part of it.

You lose your potential audience and turn it into an argument by launching an attack on their personal condition and choices.

Apologies my response bounces about a bit, it's taken a bit of rewording to avoid coming across aggressively.

All the best.

• Options
    I was veggie for a long time, from age 20, ate healthily, was troubled by a lot of IBS-type problems. Stopped about 18 years ago after a translation mix up in Spain. I try not to eat a lot of meat, will typically go 3 days a week without it at least, but the IBS comes very rarely now (once or twice a year as opposed to most days).

In an ideal world I would only get good quality meat where I could be sure of the provenance. Not in that ideal world, sadly, and cost plays a big part. Daughter has recently gone veggie - a challenge as she doesn't like beans usually, so we are in difficult situation for protein and it's a big reason she's not gone vegan. She's motivated by animal welfare reasons and I am supportive (I do most of the cooking) but I think going vegan would prove difficult in terms of what others in the family eat.

I am making a conscious effort to cut down on meat though and can see a lot of useful things from both sides.
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

Its a laugh a millennium down your way.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As I suggested in my earlier comment, it used to be quite hard to be a vegan but now it's pretty easy with loads of prepared foods on offer. Whether or not people explore the vegan option is down to a sort of resonance as there is a spiritual vibe to it. There is a philosophy that as you stop eating flesh eating you remove a veil and you may get a bit more sensitive. It's a first step on the path to a higher consciousness. The nazarenes and many buddhists think like this.
    I don't buy the vegan pets argument. Our cat eats meat/fish. Weirdly, it eats the vegan quorn when we drop a bit on the floor but generally it does not seem right to me to feed vegan food to cats and dogs. But I always wonder why we feed cats beef and lamb? It seems most unnatural! Rabbit and chicken seems far more appropriate to me but our moggy gets spoilt rotten by my wife. She would probably give it caviare if we could afford it.
  • Options

As I suggested in my earlier comment, it used to be quite hard to be a vegan but now it's pretty easy with loads of prepared foods on offer. Whether or not people explore the vegan option is down to a sort of resonance as there is a spiritual vibe to it. There is a philosophy that as you stop eating flesh eating you remove a veil and you may get a bit more sensitive. It's a first step on the path to a higher consciousness. The nazarenes and many buddhists think like this.
    I don't buy the vegan pets argument. Our cat eats meat/fish. Weirdly, it eats the vegan quorn when we drop a bit on the floor but generally it does not seem right to me to feed vegan food to cats and dogs. But I always wonder why we feed cats beef and lamb? It seems most unnatural! Rabbit and chicken seems far more appropriate to me but our moggy gets spoilt rotten by my wife. She would probably give it caviare if we could afford it.

Your cats also needlessly kill hundreds of song birds each year
  • Options

So - same as any other religious bollocks then?

Im amazed at just how many people from 'enlightened' perspectives waste so little time in telling you how 'enlightened' they are...
  • Options

Poor old dog, gets bred to buggary, then dumped off at the rescue center, then re-homed and fed carrots.

What's your lab called, Lucky?

She loves carrots also potatoes. She is also now deaf so we have to use sign language.
  • Options

Your cats also needlessly kill hundreds of song birds each year
    What is your point?
  • Options
    rananegra said:

I was veggie for a long time, from age 20, ate healthily, was troubled by a lot of IBS-type problems. Stopped about 18 years ago after a translation mix up in Spain. I try not to eat a lot of meat, will typically go 3 days a week without it at least, but the IBS comes very rarely now (once or twice a year as opposed to most days).

In an ideal world I would only get good quality meat where I could be sure of the provenance. Not in that ideal world, sadly, and cost plays a big part. Daughter has recently gone veggie - a challenge as she doesn't like beans usually, so we are in difficult situation for protein and it's a big reason she's not gone vegan. She's motivated by animal welfare reasons and I am supportive (I do most of the cooking) but I think going vegan would prove difficult in terms of what others in the family eat.

I am making a conscious effort to cut down on meat though and can see a lot of useful things from both sides.

Where do you think an elephant or a gorilla gets its protein from? ALL protein comes from plants.
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

Poor old dog, gets bred to buggary, then dumped off at the rescue center, then re-homed and fed carrots.

What's your lab called, Lucky?

She loves carrots also potatoes. She is also now deaf so we have to use sign language.
    Vegans cause deafness.

FACT!