Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:

So @Stevelamb you've forced an animal that would catch live prey in the wild to also be a vegan?

Stevelamb said:

I have one Vegan Labrador

Why is your cat not vegan?

Practice what you preach, lay out a chicken thigh and some vegan food you'd normally feed your dog and see what she goes for. Then question if your dog is making a choice.

Not all Vegetarians and Vegans are despicable, but you, well you are about as hypocritical and despicable as a vegan can get...

You have taken away your dog's choice? You have said eat vegan or die...

You admit the animal does not want to die and therefore you know that it has no choice but to eat the food you force upon it.

You bring hatred and contempt on yourself by selling the idea of Veganism by telling us how much better than us you Vegans are, that you'll live longer etc.

Coming back to your dog and the argument about the shape of certain creatures teeth and their relevant action:

Dogs teeth are not designed for chewing leafs etc, they are designed for cutting flesh.

It's almost hilarious that the argument has moved from:

Human's aren't meant to eat meat - their teeth are flat like a cattle's teeth not like a dogs etc...

to:

"Dog's aren't meant to eat meat - it's bad for them". SERIOUSLY WTF?

I am certain were I to offer your dog a raw or cooked chicken thigh, it'd rather come home with me than be abused and forced to eat food that is not natural for it's diet by you.

Do what you do, protest Animal rights etc... but maybe look at how hypocritical you're being as part of it.

You lose your potential audience and turn it into an argument by launching an attack on their personal condition and choices.

Apologies my response bounces about a bit, it's taken a bit of rewording to avoid coming across aggressively.

All the best.

Two points.

The first is whatever you feed the pet isn't a choice by the animal as you picked the food anyway. The animal lives either way so it's hardly abuse.

Second point is I think you are missing the point. He's basically saying humans have a choice animals don't which is the whole idea. You have the choice. You are smarter than an animal and more capable.

Lastly calling him despicable is a bit strong. I don't think he is deserving of hatred
  • Options
    I would argue meat, dairy and egg does actually.
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

So @Stevelamb you've forced an animal that would catch live prey in the wild to also be a vegan?

Stevelamb said:

Practice what you preach, lay out a chicken thigh and some vegan food you'd normally feed your dog and see what she goes for. Then question if your dog is making a choice.

Not all Vegetarians and Vegans are despicable, but you, well you are about as hypocritical and despicable as a vegan can get...

You admit the animal does not want to die and therefore you know that it has no choice but to eat the food you force upon it.

You bring hatred and contempt on yourself by selling the idea of Veganism by telling us how much better than us you Vegans are, that you'll live longer etc.

Coming back to your dog and the argument about the shape of certain creatures teeth and their relevant action:

Dogs teeth are not designed for chewing leafs etc, they are designed for cutting flesh.

Human's aren't meant to eat meat - their teeth are flat like a cattle's teeth not like a dogs etc...

to:

I am certain were I to offer your dog a raw or cooked chicken thigh, it'd rather come home with me than be abused and forced to eat food that is not natural for it's diet by you.

Do what you do, protest Animal rights etc... but maybe look at how hypocritical you're being as part of it.

You lose your potential audience and turn it into an argument by launching an attack on their personal condition and choices.

Apologies my response bounces about a bit, it's taken a bit of rewording to avoid coming across aggressively.

All the best.

Two points.

The first is whatever you feed the pet isn't a choice by the animal as you picked the food anyway. The animal lives either way so it's hardly abuse.

Second point is I think you are missing the point. He's basically saying humans have a choice animals don't which is the whole idea. You have the choice. You are smarter than an animal and more capable.

Lastly calling him despicable is a bit strong. I don't think he is deserving of hatred
    Water off a ducks back.
  • Options
    Stevelamb said:

rananegra said:

I was veggie for a long time, from age 20, ate healthily, was troubled by a lot of IBS-type problems. Stopped about 18 years ago after a translation mix up in Spain. I try not to eat a lot of meat, will typically go 3 days a week without it at least, but the IBS comes very rarely now (once or twice a year as opposed to most days).

In an ideal world I would only get good quality meat where I could be sure of the provenance. Not in that ideal world, sadly, and cost plays a big part. Daughter has recently gone veggie - a challenge as she doesn't like beans usually, so we are in difficult situation for protein and it's a big reason she's not gone vegan. She's motivated by animal welfare reasons and I am supportive (I do most of the cooking) but I think going vegan would prove difficult in terms of what others in the family eat.

I am making a conscious effort to cut down on meat though and can see a lot of useful things from both sides.

Where do you think an elephant or a gorilla gets its protein from? ALL protein comes from plants.
    I can't believe you just said that pmsl
  • Options

As I suggested in my earlier comment, it used to be quite hard to be a vegan but now it's pretty easy with loads of prepared foods on offer. Whether or not people explore the vegan option is down to a sort of resonance as there is a spiritual vibe to it. There is a philosophy that as you stop eating flesh eating you remove a veil and you may get a bit more sensitive. It's a first step on the path to a higher consciousness. The nazarenes and many buddhists think like this.
    I don't buy the vegan pets argument. Our cat eats meat/fish. Weirdly, it eats the vegan quorn when we drop a bit on the floor but generally it does not seem right to me to feed vegan food to cats and dogs. But I always wonder why we feed cats beef and lamb? It seems most unnatural! Rabbit and chicken seems far more appropriate to me but our moggy gets spoilt rotten by my wife. She would probably give it caviare if we could afford it.

Your cats also needlessly kill hundreds of song birds each year
    What is your point?
    Cat owners facilitate the mass, needless killing of millions of song birds every year, so that must mean they don't like animals surely
  • Options
    A good watch for those who are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3c_D0s391Q

Everything You Need To Know About The Dairy Industry In 15 Minutes
    to Know - Neal Barnard MD - FULL TALK
  • Options
    he looks like he needs a good meal or a double latte
  • Options
    Never trust a man in a tank top.
  • Options
    In total, there are around 20 amino acids that the human body uses to build proteins.

These amino acids are classified as either essential or non-essential.

Your body can produce non-essential amino acids. However, it cannot produce essential amino acids, which need to be obtained through your diet.

For optimal health, your body needs all the essential amino acids in the right ratios.

Animal protein sources, such as meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy, are similar to the protein found in your body.

These are considered to be complete sources of protein because they contain all of the essential amino acids that your body needs to function effectively.

On the contrary, plant protein sources, such as beans, lentils and nuts are considered to be incomplete, as they lack one or more of the essential amino acids that your body needs (1).

Some sources report soy protein as complete. However, two essential amino acids are only found in small amounts in soy, so it isn't comparable to animal protein.

#justsayin
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I wish my cat was Vegan, I’ve lost count of the times he’s brought me in a mouse or a little bird, or once not so little when he managed to down a parakeete and somehow drag it through the cat flap.

The only plant based food he eats is grass and that’s just so he can throw up the hair balls all over the sofa.

Would seem pointless converting him as I can’t contril his natural instinct to catch other animals (and sometimes eat them, well half anyway as he often leaves me the other half, not much fun in the morning seeing a frogs head looking at me).

On the plus side I’m trying to do my bit and have got a milkman again. This followed blue planet and plastic - the wife’s rocked out bars of soap now as well :neutral: all to save the planet, funnily enough she still buys potions in plastic from Liz Earle though.......

• Options

As I suggested in my earlier comment, it used to be quite hard to be a vegan but now it's pretty easy with loads of prepared foods on offer. Whether or not people explore the vegan option is down to a sort of resonance as there is a spiritual vibe to it. There is a philosophy that as you stop eating flesh eating you remove a veil and you may get a bit more sensitive. It's a first step on the path to a higher consciousness. The nazarenes and many buddhists think like this.
    I don't buy the vegan pets argument. Our cat eats meat/fish. Weirdly, it eats the vegan quorn when we drop a bit on the floor but generally it does not seem right to me to feed vegan food to cats and dogs. But I always wonder why we feed cats beef and lamb? It seems most unnatural! Rabbit and chicken seems far more appropriate to me but our moggy gets spoilt rotten by my wife. She would probably give it caviare if we could afford it.

What is your point?
    Cat owners facilitate the mass, needless killing of millions of song birds every year, so that must mean they don't like animals surely
    Again no one has said cats are perfect, you have missed the point. I hate cats toying with birds, unfortunately you can't tell a cat otherwise. A human has the ability to know right from wrong though
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Stevelamb said:

to:

All the best.

Two points.

Humans do have the luxury of more choice, I agree.

I choose to eat meat.
  • Options

What is your point?
    Again no one has said cats are perfect, you have missed the point. I hate cats toying with birds, unfortunately you can't tell a cat otherwise. A human has the ability to know right from wrong though
    Are you saying humans eating animals is wrong, or just the wrong choice? Big difference.
  • Options

What is your point?
    So the only reason a cat catches birds or other Animals is they can’t tell right from wrong? That’s not a serious point surely?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Tbf using dairy did kill my grandads brother, so I know it ain't a laughing matter.

He went down the shop to get a pint of milk and got knocked down on his way home by a milk float

Just added a bit to give the full horror of the incident.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

What is your point?
    So the only reason a cat catches birds or other Animals is they can’t tell right from wrong? That’s not a serious point surely?
    I think it was.

Worrying!
  • Options

Dazzler21 said:

Stevelamb said:

to:

All the best.

Two points.

You make some interesting points, but two weeks ago one of my dogs caught and dispatched with one bite a wild rabbit which I gave her later for a meal. She has never run into the undergrowth and returned with a mouthful of greenery for me to prepare.
  • Options

What is your point?
    No, you've missed the point. If a vegan owns a cat that inevitably needlessly kills wildlife, then the VEGAN is facilitating their cat doing it. In short, vegans should not keep carnivorous or omnivorous animals if they want to preach to meat eaters about the lack of love they have for the animals they eat.

If people choose veganism and don't talk toot about the lack of love meat eaters have for animals, then keeping meat eating pets wouldnt be hypocritical, would it

As for depriving a dog of a naturally balance diet, including meat of some sort, that's animal cruelty I'm afraid
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

In total, there are around 20 amino acids that the human body uses to build proteins.

These amino acids are classified as either essential or non-essential.

Your body can produce non-essential amino acids. However, it cannot produce essential amino acids, which need to be obtained through your diet.

For optimal health, your body needs all the essential amino acids in the right ratios.

Animal protein sources, such as meat, fish, poultry, eggs and dairy, are similar to the protein found in your body.

These are considered to be complete sources of protein because they contain all of the essential amino acids that your body needs to function effectively.

On the contrary, plant protein sources, such as beans, lentils and nuts are considered to be incomplete, as they lack one or more of the essential amino acids that your body needs (1).

Some sources report soy protein as complete. However, two essential amino acids are only found in small amounts in soy, so it isn't comparable to animal protein.

#justsayin

It has also been suggested that certain amino acids are assimilated 'more easily' from meat than from protein.
    However what you say also demonstrates that humans don't have to eat meat as the only way to get all the nutrition, soy protein does indeed allow for the consumption of the range of nutrients needed. It is indeed comparable, even though you say that in that comparison you reckon meat is better than soy because of 'amounts'.
    I suppose what I am saying is that it is realistic to describe man as an omnivore, but that it is not essential for a balanced diet for man to eat meat, fish, eggs and dairy.
    It seems to come down to a matter of choice, taste and convenience rather than a matter of scientific necessity.
  • Options
    Its the turnips i feel sorry for ----- mind you they might get that second vote
  • Options
    Greenie said:

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa - Ive heard it all now........fucking hell!
    very rarely i am in complete agreement with you, but this is one of those times.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:

What is your point?
    No that's in their nature.

Don't get why you are trying to twist what I am saying.
  • Options

Rob7Lee said:

What is your point?
    No that's in their nature.

Don't get why you are trying to twist what I am saying.
    Do you understand what I'm saying now though @Braziliance
  • Options

What is your point?
    Lols
  • Options
    My friend's aunt and uncle had a dog that suddenly stopped eating the meat it was offered, and would only eat fruit.
    Concerned for the dog's health, they took it to the vet who looked it over and declared that it looked fit and healthy.
    ' But he won't eat meat anymore, he'll only eat fruit,' the aunt said,
    'Well, feed him fruit then,' replied the vet.
    So they did.
  • Options

What is your point?
    No, you've missed the point. If a vegan owns a cat that inevitably needlessly kills wildlife, then the VEGAN is facilitating their cat doing it. In short, vegans should not keep carnivorous or omnivorous animals if they want to preach to meat eaters about the lack of love they have for the animals they eat.

If people choose veganism and don't talk toot about the lack of love meat eaters have for animals, then keeping meat eating pets wouldnt be hypocritical, would it

As for depriving a dog of a naturally balance diet, including meat of some sort, that's animal cruelty I'm afraid
    To speak on a level that should suit you a bit more. I don't own a cat so that's none of my concern pal.