Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    Rothko said:

I’ve been trying to cut back the amount of diary and meat in recent years, the real struggle is with milk, as my experiences of soy milk have probably switched my off to diary alternatives.

So what’s the best option for a non diary milk? Soy, almond, oat?

I’d suggest you give some a try as everyone has their own preferences.

For me I find almond too bitter. Oat is nice (it’s got a more creamy texture and doesn’t have a strong taste), but my favourite is coconut. Specifically KoKo brand which you can get in lager Sainsburys. It’s bloody lovely in coffee and is great to cook with ☺️
  • Options
    Lurker said:

I've been a vegan since 1975; mainly compassion for the creatures (check out the dairy industry cruelty - you'll be surprised). There were a few thousand of us then and early plant milk and soya cheese was bloody awful. 560,000 now, wow! I used to make many of my own meals and focus on having good protein because if you try to get by on beans on toast and soup you will not stay healthy for long, which is the downfall of many a compassionate student. So I made rissoles and veggie sausages from soy mix, and used the Granose products which were a very useful standby. Eating out was quite tricky unless you went to an Indian or Chinese restaurant. But these days life is a cinch. Fast food vegan products everywhere, including Dominics pizza and Macdonalds. Even in Greece recently I was astounded to see Vegan meals advertised and the vegetarian/vegan plate I had was excellent. Most of my friends eat meat but all of them enjoy my (or my wife's) cooking, especially our Mexican dish. I think you would probably be healthier and slimmer by going vegan but I can't prove it. What is for sure is that if you had to wring a chickens neck before preparing your food, then there would be many more vegetarians let alone vegans!

Do you think that all those people not using dairy products have improved the quality of life for dairy herds then? Or do you think that maybe if all those people who have stopped using dairy products in that time (for ethical reasons) actually caried on using them, while insisting on better standards in dairy farming, that might've had a better impact.
    If there are half a million vegans in the UK as said above, I'd imagine there are less animals being born into the system than there otherwise would be. People can insist on better conditions all they like but if people are willing to buy it then I doubt anything would change.
    My logic is that the more people who buy responsibly, the better it is for everyone involved. It ensures money is going into the better, local producers and not the larger scale places where animals are just a commodity. But then try telling that to a single mother, who has to feed her family of 4 on £60 odd a week.

All said and done, I personally don't think you can get more ethical than either growing your own food, or gathering it yourself, but I get told off for talking too much about that

But as I've always said, people are obviously entitled to eat wherever they like and, tbh, I find general fussy eaters more harder to understand than veggies or vegans
  • Options
    edited July 2018

MrOneLung said:

Not w

I've been a vegan since 1975; mainly compassion for the creatures (check out the dairy industry cruelty - you'll be surprised). There were a few thousand of us then and early plant milk and soya cheese was bloody awful. 560,000 now, wow! I used to make many of my own meals and focus on having good protein because if you try to get by on beans on toast and soup you will not stay healthy for long, which is the downfall of many a compassionate student. So I made rissoles and veggie sausages from soy mix, and used the Granose products which were a very useful standby. Eating out was quite tricky unless you went to an Indian or Chinese restaurant. But these days life is a cinch. Fast food vegan products everywhere, including Dominics pizza and Macdonalds. Even in Greece recently I was astounded to see Vegan meals advertised and the vegetarian/vegan plate I had was excellent. Most of my friends eat meat but all of them enjoy my (or my wife's) cooking, especially our Mexican dish. I think you would probably be healthier and slimmer by going vegan but I can't prove it. What is for sure is that if you had to wring a chickens neck before preparing your food, then there would be many more vegetarians let alone vegans!

We have people to that, just like we have people to do other things.

If people had to build a bed a lot more people would sleep on the floor

If people had to drill for their own oil there would be a lot fewer cars.
    Bizarre response and disappointing someone could whip up such a silly reply.

If you can't beat the message, just attack the messanger.
    Not really, hardly an attack. It's just the response is as childish as 'if he jumped of a bridge would you do so as well?'

Obviously the poster he has replied to meant that it would morally test you and not the practicality of it.

There is no 'beating any message' it's a fact that a vegan diet is not only better for an individual it is better for the planet. I can't stress again there is no justification for eating meat, it is weak will power to know you can stop and it benefits the earth and you carry on anyway. Again that's ok as it's not a crime obviously.
  • Options
    Are we allowed to be indifferent to animals and still eat them?

Just checking the rules.
  • Options

MrOneLung said:

Not w

We have people to that, just like we have people to do other things.

If people had to build a bed a lot more people would sleep on the floor

If people had to drill for their own oil there would be a lot fewer cars.
    Bizarre response and disappointing someone could whip up such a silly reply.

If you can't beat the message, just attack the messanger.
    Not really, hardly an attack. It's just the response is as childish as 'if he jumped of a bridge would you do so as well?'

Obviously the poster he has replied to meant that it would morally test you and not the practicality of it.

There is no 'beating any message' it's a fact that a vegan diet is not only better for an individual it is better for the planet. I can't stress again there is no justification for eating meat, it is weak will power to know you can stop and it benefits the earth and you carry on anyway. Again that's ok as it's not a crime obviously.
    Don't waste your energy. He's a troll, plain and simple.
  • Options
    And two mo

Just checking the rules.

Don't be petty mate haha, people can do what they want I am just saying you can't justify it. Which again is fine cause people can eat whatever they want I just don't think you should try and justify it cause you simply can't.
  • Options

Also without sounding arrogant cause again I don't intend to come across that way.

But you cannot and I seriously mean you cannot claim to love animals and eat them. If you love something you wouldn't harm it. Eating meat and loving animals just don't go hand in hand. It's like saying you hate racism but tolerate your best mate racially abusing people? Not exactly the same but it's something you claim to be against and it's in your control to stop it but you choose not to

I readily admit to being a hypocrite. We all our in our own ways. It's probably fairer to say, I'm a product of the modern world of accessibility.

I hate what social media is doing in a lot of ways but I have a Facebook account. I love animals, but as the custodian of two cats currently I feed them entirely meat based food, probably shit meat too. I also eat meat and cheese

One thing I do find perverse is reconstituted meat with smiley faces in it. That's always bent my head

My great aunt used to keep animals, rabbits and chickens. Every so often, like once a week she'd take one or two into her utility room and if it was a rabbit, crack it on the back of the head with a toffee hammer, have it emptied and skinned in about 10 minutes and in a pot not long after. In was fascinated watching her do that to the rabbits but seeing her wring a chickens neck wasn't something I watched more than once.

She grew her own vegetables, baked her own bread. She also lived to 99, very independently. In an apocalyptic scenario she would have been absolutely fine. The rabbits whilst very cute to a young kid were kept as food because they didn't offer anything. They would have eaten all the veg if she hadn't kept them in a fairly big pen and the foxes would have wiped them out if they were free. Same as the chooks. She used them for eggs more than eating anyway.

• Options

And two mo

Just checking the rules.

Don't be petty mate haha, people can do what they want I am just saying you can't justify it. Which again is fine cause people can eat whatever they want I just don't think you should try and justify it cause you simply can't.
    i'm just teasing! I know i'm a massive hypocrite eating meat and the only justification I have is I enjoy it - but I do a lot of things that I can't really justify like drink, smoke, gamble so eating meat is just another thing to add to the list.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Just out of interest @Braziliance do you come into contact with animals, other than pet cats and dogs etc.?
  • Options

Re an alternative to cows milk. Be aware it takes a while to get used to the different creamier soya milk taste but you can use any of them straight away on your cereals i.e. muesli. We use ether Tesco or Sainsbury's soya milk but others prefer Alpro which is about 40p more expensive. Coffee and soya milk may curdle unless you reduce the coffee or add more milk. Almond milk is quite nice in coffee but I hate it in my english breakfast tea. Soya milk is good in custard. You may be surprised at how nice soya yoghurts are, well with a try. Not tried oat milk yet - will give it a try.

• Options
    edited July 2018

Re an alternative to cows milk. Be aware it takes a while to get used to the different creamier soya milk taste but you can use any of them straight away on your cereals i.e. muesli. We use ether Tesco or Sainsbury's soya milk but others prefer Alpro which is about 40p more expensive. Coffee and soya milk may curdle unless you reduce the coffee or add more milk. Almond milk is quite nice in coffee but I hate it in my english breakfast tea. Soya milk is good in custard. You may be surprised at how nice soya yoghurts are, well with a try. Not tried oat milk yet - will give it a try.

Continue to use dairy and eat the offspring
  • Options

Also without sounding arrogant cause again I don't intend to come across that way.

But you cannot and I seriously mean you cannot claim to love animals and eat them. If you love something you wouldn't harm it. Eating meat and loving animals just don't go hand in hand. It's like saying you hate racism but tolerate your best mate racially abusing people? Not exactly the same but it's something you claim to be against and it's in your control to stop it but you choose not to

In your opinion
    No mate that's not an opinion, how can you feel affection for something and then kill/eat/harm it. You think you love animals there's a difference. Not trying to sound like a dick.

And yeah I come into contact with other animals, why?
  • Options
    People love other people. But they don't eat them.
  • Options

In your opinion
    I've had and have deep affection for specific dogs, cats and horses - I've never had any affection for a specific cow, sheep or pig. I've never eaten the former, I've always eaten the latter.

I love some animals, indifferent to others and hate the thought of some as well.

• Options

In your opinion
    No mate that's not an opinion, how can you feel affection for something and then kill/eat/harm it. You think you love animals there's a difference. Not trying to sound like a dick.

No, it is an opinion I'm afraid and by saying what you have, you must include vegans have cats and dogs.

I feel affection towards my pet dogs and I have respect for the animals I eat, which are very well looked after, or sourced from places I know, or sourced by myself from the wild.

• Options
    seth plum said:

People love other people. But they don't eat them.

• Options

In your opinion

No matter how much you say it, it doesn't make it true.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2018

In your opinion

I think you'll find chaps that Stu and Rob are both correct here, it IS subjective and is as such an opinion...

I love animals.

I love some as pets Dogs, Cats, Horses, Rats, Snakes, Lizards, Ferrets & Guinea pigs. (Plus many more)

I also love the vast majoriity being themselves in the wild. (Far too many to list)

Do I not love animals? I clearly love them.

The problem with your argument is I also love the tast of a few of them...

Chicken, Turkey, Duck, Cow, Pig (only as Bacon mind), octopus, squid & certain fish. (that's about it I think)

I would never want to see any from the pet or wild group on my plate, but worth noting most on the food list could go extinct in the event they stopped being farmed for food.

Especially as Vegans now also want to force the pet group to not eat meat.
  • Options

In your opinion

Another irrelevant comment. Same logic would apply to someone opposing my comment. Again though I don't mind people being delusional as it's their choice. Just don't try and twist it please. You love animals you don't eat them, you eat them then clearly you don't. Very simple
    Maybe I just don't love the animals I eat?

Each animal is not all animals.

• Options
    Nobody loves ALL animals though

My feelings for a kitten or giant panda are different from those towards a rat, or a cockroach or a mosquito.
  • Options
    I read earlier about someone saying find me a dietitian that will tell you meat isn't healthy, there are plenty. If you looked that up yourself instead of just quoting someone asking them you would know that. The simple truth is people don't want to know the truth.

There's a few good comments in here but it's mostly misinformed comments. Obviously because of how the majority of us are raised people don't know any different so it's understandable but I just think before making any justifications or trying to reason you should watch a video about it like most vegans probably did.

For the faint hearted maybe start with 'what the health' or 'cowspiracy' for the not so I would suggest 'earthlings'. Earthlings well and truly sealed the deal for me. Again I think it's worth watching so that even if you don't agree then at least you can see why people choose to eat grass and tofu
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

In your opinion

Another irrelevant comment. Same logic would apply to someone opposing my comment. Again though I don't mind people being delusional as it's their choice. Just don't try and twist it please. You love animals you don't eat them, you eat them then clearly you don't. Very simple
    Maybe I just don't love the animals I eat?

Each animal is not all animals.

Yeah I know. So that's why you would just not comment on it?

Just want to make it clear as well that it isn't just about compassion for animals it is also about how bad it is for the planet. Even if people don't give a toss about a pig people should care about the damage they are doing by eating meat
  • Options

In your opinion

I would like to second that.
  • Options

Nobody loves ALL animals though

My feelings for a kitten or giant panda are different from those towards a rat, or a cockroach or a mosquito.

Of course. Which would mean you like pets or a specific animal. Genuinely speaking if a vegan is a vegan and it's not because of health reasons or environmental reasons then they probably do love every animal.