Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The rise of the vegans.

Comments

• Options
    Is now the right time to say that celery has feelings too and is an incredibly water intensive crop...
  • Options
    I see Suarez took the vegetarian approach against France today.
  • Options
    iainment said:

I see Suarez took the vegetarian approach against France today.

So will England tomorrow, they’re only going to roast Swedes.
  • Options

Some cracking Indian vegetarian restaurants in Drummond St (Euston), if your ever in the area.
    Fixed price lunch buffets are very good

I work about 5 minutes from there. £6.50, I believe, all you can eat. Diwana is the one I use. I sometimes take a Poori back to work.
    It could be wrong but I told South Indian food is mostly vegetarian. Some of my colleagues do have problem with going to an Indian and not being able to order meat, once there they eat everything twice. Back to work and the old “ needs chicken “ comments start.
    Meat lovers can be just as boring and loathsome as us higher forms of life (vegetarians).
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/8ecUPYI3Xbg

If you have a spare ten minutes or so then this is a good clip of avowed meat eaters trying vegan food. I want to take Mrs AUN down to London for a vegan food weekend where we try the wares at some of the places mentioned but she isn’t so keen due to the fear of terrorism. So fucking thanks ISIS, my tastebuds are having to suffer because of your selfishness.
  • Options
    Oh yeah, have to say I’ve been impressed by the interaction on this thread. When I finished work and saw 117 new posts I wasn’t sure what to expect so glad that it hasn’t descended into a whole load of old bollocks.
  • Options
    People boycotting London due to fear of terrorism is a thread I would gladly kick off in. But I'm sure your wife's lovely AUN ;)
  • Options

Oh yeah, have to say I’ve been impressed by the interaction on this thread. When I finished work and saw 117 new posts I wasn’t sure what to expect so glad that it hasn’t descended into a whole load of old bollocks.

They’re the tastiest bit.
  • Options
    Leuth said:

People boycotting London due to fear of terrorism is a thread I would gladly kick off in. But I'm sure your wife's lovely AUN ;)

She is @Leuth, unfortunately she’s never lived anywhere other than a small, rural market town in North Yorkshire and going beyond that is stretching her comfort zone. I’ve tried to reassure her that there’s more chance of her coming to harm on her daily bike commute to work than there would be in a trip to ‘the smoke’ but she just has this innate anxiety. Shame really as she’ll probably never get to experience the thrill of a packed Valley, rocking.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Carter said:

Leuth said:

She is @Leuth, unfortunately she’s never lived anywhere other than a small, rural market town in North Yorkshire and going beyond that is stretching her comfort zone. I’ve tried to reassure her that there’s more chance of her coming to harm on her daily bike commute to work than there would be in a trip to ‘the smoke’ but she just has this innate anxiety. Shame really as she’ll probably never get to experience the thrill of a packed Valley, rocking.
    I'm seriously worried I won't experience a packed valley rocking again!

To be fair I know what you mean. Mrs AUN is probably more likely to be stoned to death in the middle of Trafalgar Square by a band of batshit crazy fundamentalists than witness a full house down in SE7.
  • Options
    Carter said:

Leuth said:

I'm seriously worried I won't experience a packed valley rocking again!

You got there first! My sentiments entirely!
  • Options

I've been a vegan since 1975; mainly compassion for the creatures (check out the dairy industry cruelty - you'll be surprised). There were a few thousand of us then and early plant milk and soya cheese was bloody awful. 560,000 now, wow! I used to make many of my own meals and focus on having good protein because if you try to get by on beans on toast and soup you will not stay healthy for long, which is the downfall of many a compassionate student. So I made rissoles and veggie sausages from soy mix, and used the Granose products which were a very useful standby. Eating out was quite tricky unless you went to an Indian or Chinese restaurant. But these days life is a cinch. Fast food vegan products everywhere, including Dominics pizza and Macdonalds. Even in Greece recently I was astounded to see Vegan meals advertised and the vegetarian/vegan plate I had was excellent. Most of my friends eat meat but all of them enjoy my (or my wife's) cooking, especially our Mexican dish. I think you would probably be healthier and slimmer by going vegan but I can't prove it. What is for sure is that if you had to wring a chickens neck before preparing your food, then there would be many more vegetarians let alone vegans!

Do you think that all those people not using dairy products have improved the quality of life for dairy herds then? Or do you think that maybe if all those people who have stopped using dairy products in that time (for ethical reasons) actually caried on using them, while insisting on better standards in dairy farming, that might've had a better impact.
  • Options

I've been a vegan since 1975; mainly compassion for the creatures (check out the dairy industry cruelty - you'll be surprised). There were a few thousand of us then and early plant milk and soya cheese was bloody awful. 560,000 now, wow! I used to make many of my own meals and focus on having good protein because if you try to get by on beans on toast and soup you will not stay healthy for long, which is the downfall of many a compassionate student. So I made rissoles and veggie sausages from soy mix, and used the Granose products which were a very useful standby. Eating out was quite tricky unless you went to an Indian or Chinese restaurant. But these days life is a cinch. Fast food vegan products everywhere, including Dominics pizza and Macdonalds. Even in Greece recently I was astounded to see Vegan meals advertised and the vegetarian/vegan plate I had was excellent. Most of my friends eat meat but all of them enjoy my (or my wife's) cooking, especially our Mexican dish. I think you would probably be healthier and slimmer by going vegan but I can't prove it. What is for sure is that if you had to wring a chickens neck before preparing your food, then there would be many more vegetarians let alone vegans!

Do you think that all those people not using dairy products have improved the quality of life for dairy herds then? Or do you think that maybe if all those people who have stopped using dairy products in that time (for ethical reasons) actually caried on using them, while insisting on better standards in dairy farming, that might've had a better impact.
    If some people don't use dairy products it's a stretch to hold them accountable for dairy farm practices.
    Vegans won't use any dairy product because it's production can't be anything but oppressive to the animals being used.
  • Options

I honestly don’t think it would make any difference whatsoever. Dairy farming is a business where the cows are simply a commodity used to make money. Consumers could raise their voices in dissent to certain practices and the dairy industry could pay lip service to acceptable welfare standards but the bottom line is they want the profit with minimal outlay.
  • Options
    I think cows (and bulls) are amazing creatures in their own right. They are bred for dairy and slaughter unless they are lucky enough to wander the streets in India where they are both revered and regarded as a bit of a nuisance. There are no 'better standards' in dairy production, (apart from having more pasture to roam around) for the cow is artificially inseminated every year to produce milk flow and the calf is removed from the cow so that humans can drink the milk. If male, the calf will eventually be killed for meat. If female, the calf may be added to the milk herd or be slaughtered. It's a pretty brutal business. If you live on a croft and milk your cow, then milk (butter/cheese) will soon become an expensive product when you have to buy hay during the winter months plus you come back to the ethical problem of what to do with the calf. Same issue with goats. These days soya milk is pretty good but may take a while to get used to the taste. The soya cheeses get better and better (I like the Sainsbury's fake greek cheese). If dairy herds shrink, then so be it. The automobile has drastically reduced the number of horses. I wonder if Henry Ford had horse breeders picketing his car manufacturing factories?
  • Options

If there are half a million vegans in the UK as said above, I'd imagine there are less animals being born into the system than there otherwise would be. People can insist on better conditions all they like but if people are willing to buy it then I doubt anything would change.
  • Options
    Not w

We have people to that, just like we have people to do other things.

If people had to build a bed a lot more people would sleep on the floor

If people had to drill for their own oil there would be a lot fewer cars.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I proper like Foie Gras can’t fooking beat that tasty morsel

• Options
    edited July 2018
    MrOneLung said:

Not w

Bizarre response and disappointing someone could whip up such a silly reply.

• Options
    I’ve been trying to cut back the amount of diary and meat in recent years, the real struggle is with milk, as my experiences of soy milk have probably switched my off to diary alternatives.

So what’s the best option for a non diary milk? Soy, almond, oat?
  • Options
    Rothko said:

I’ve been trying to cut back the amount of diary and meat in recent years, the real struggle is with milk, as my experiences of soy milk have probably switched my off to diary alternatives.

Eating diaries is not a good diet.....in fact sooner or later you’re likely to die from poisoning!
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Rothko said:

Eating diaries is not a good diet.....in fact sooner or later you’re likely to die from poisoning!
    You go week at first, though.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Rothko said:

I didn’t know dates were Poisonous
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I'm in favour of new laws concerning animal welfare that outlaw all the inhumane practices (except slaughter itself) listed here. Milking would be done by hand.

The knock-on effects would be interesting. Price and quality of meat and dairy would certainly rise, and there would need to be a corresponding rise in affordable alternatives. The lack of tasty and widely-available plant or fungi-based fast food would need to be addressed.

I would probably still eat meat and dairy, but the situation would be healthier for all concerned I think.

Some good thinking there
  • Options
    The point is, I don’t have to do that though.

MrOneLung said:

Not w

Bizarre response and disappointing someone could whip up such a silly reply.

I was just remarking that it was a disingenuous comment as there are lots of things that people would stop doing if they had to do it all themselves.

Looking forward to eating my ‘killed at the hand of another’ bbq this afternoon.