Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD calling for Charlton Athletic fans to boycott Valley if takeover deal is not done by August 4

Comments

• Options

The fact that many would have already bought season tickets makes boycotting a little difficult anyway. I'm sure there are some fans that have regretted buying their season tickets as they assumed that the takeover would have gone through by now, and they may well have added to the ranks of the boycotters. But, once your money is paid, it's then very difficult to not turn up.

The timing of this seems more than a little odd.

I just dont understand why people couldnt wait until he had left anyway.. If they had any intention of boycotting it makes no sense.
  • Options

rikofold said:

JamesSeed said:

rikofold said:

If even CARD can't present a united front on this issue then for me the statement was the wrong call. CAST have just immediately undermined it with their own statement.

CARD have done a brilliant job but when the philosophical divide cuts that deep it ceases to be the cohesive coalition it was set up to be. From my perspective i'd say thanks to those involved and I appreciate your combined efforts which 100%, have contributed to getting RD to sell but I think they have done all they can, and should consider taking a step back, for now at least because the mixed messages can't contribute anything positive to the cause at this stage.

If individual members of the trust board had ever been given a veto on CARD activity, there would probably have been no protests by CARD at all.
    I understand you won't get 100% agreement all thetime, or maybe ever! it's the nature of the beast when you have many different personalities with varying ideas. My point is that to my knowlege, CAST has never immediately come out and contradicted/,undermined a CARD statement like this publicly before which suggests it is a pretty major philosophical divide.
    Or that trust board members with season tickets were aware they would be called out on this one, whereas trust board members who have never participated in other protests would go under the radar.
    I get what you're saying airman. I also understand how difficult a decision it can be to decide to boycott - did so myself 2 years ago and wasn't a choice I made lightly. I hadn't realized some of the trust board had been so unprepared to get involved in the previous protests - I'm glad I'm not a paid up member if that is the case.
    And @rikofold has forgotten that a large percentage of Trust members are not on Charlton Life; and anyway looking at this thread a large percentage of CL members are unsure that a boycott is the right call, right now. We could have polled members, as we have done regularly in the past, but this thread appears to indicate that on this occasion we had judged the overall mood of our membership correctly.

Sometimes I fucking despair.
    Well which is it mate? Listen to CL or not?

I read a divided thread. I'm happy for people to make individual choices and no-one's unrealistic about that, but are you guys our voice or not? I may well find myself in the minority but I recall a time when we wouldn't breath without member consensus. Now when individuals on the board feel embarrassed by CARD's statement that routine is not longer required? Really?
    It's worth remembering CAST was set up to represent all fans. And like all fans, the members of CAST have a variety of views.
    I know only too well, as @Covered End will tell you. :smile:

Let's put it this way. If the Trust surveyed, how many do you think would have ticked the option, "Put out a statement isolating members from CARD because the board have already got their season tickets"?
    Which is why the timing of this call for a boycott doesn't seem right at all.

You don't wait until someone has just purchased something for hundreds of pounds before you suggest they don't use it.
    You make the suggestion before the purchase.

(This reply is in general, not to you Rikofold).
    CARD made clear its position on season tickets from the time they went on sale. I’m not sure of the logic that says someone who disregarded that (perfectly reasonably) would then boycott because of a later message. That dog won’t hunt.

The timing is caused by the proximity of the season and the fact he is still here.
    Agreed, so the S/T holders won't boycott.
    How many paying home fans did we have at each home game last season on average ?
    Was it somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 ?
    So how many will boycott, 500, 1,000 ?

So instead of 10,000 gates announced we might get 9,000 ?
    Season ticket holders already stay away in large numbers because the pricing structure means season tickets are bought by many people who never intend to go to every game. You are not going to get anywhere near 10,000 home fans in the stadium whatever they announce or however many comps they print off.

Five hundred home tickets is probably about £8k - £10k a match. The club has told staff not to put the lights on in internal meetings in order to save money, so you can’t really argue they would not be sensitive to lost revenue. But for me it’s more about drawing a line. This guy continues to drag the club down. I can’t be part of that any more.
    Wait up. This can't be true surely? Or are we talking about the lights around the ground?
  • Options
    shine166 said:

The fact that many would have already bought season tickets makes boycotting a little difficult anyway. I'm sure there are some fans that have regretted buying their season tickets as they assumed that the takeover would have gone through by now, and they may well have added to the ranks of the boycotters. But, once your money is paid, it's then very difficult to not turn up.

I just dont understand why people couldnt wait until he had left anyway.. If they had any intention of boycotting it makes no sense.
    Well some would buy a ST even if an evil dictator owned us, and they would still make excuses for them. Others just can't contain their excitement. I know people personally that bought their ST's when they were released because they got carried away with the takeover news and were hopeful of a new dawn. They are regretting it now and desperately want the takeover to go through, I guess in some part to justify their decision not to wait.

Ultimately, if someone is fixed on buying a ST, there is nothing in the world that will stop them.
  • Options

shine166 said:

Well some would buy a ST even if an evil dictator owned us, and they would still make excuses for them. Others just can't contain their excitement. I know people personally that bought their ST's when they were released because they got carried away with the takeover news and were hopeful of a new dawn. They are regretting it now and desperately want the takeover to go through, I guess in some part to justify their decision not to wait.

Ultimately, if someone is fixed on buying a ST, there is nothing in the world that will stop them.
    And I (and I’m sure all fans), would not deny them the right to do so.....each to their own.
  • Options
    Is the Belgian bloke at work this week?
    In terms of protests I think an establishment of small like minded groupings, off grid, would be helpful where their actions (within the law) are not aimed at getting publicity but at costing Roland money, and at being as disruptive as possible.
    If cutting breakfasts, turning off the lights, charging for printing our own tickets is important to Duchatelet (all the time giving Keohane a f*cking wage!) then the next phase of protests if we can manage it should be costly to the club and annoy those in charge.
    An invasion of the boardroom is really not a bad idea to start off with.
  • Options

shine166 said:

And I (and I’m sure all fans), would not deny them the right to do so.....each to their own.

Yer I agree, but its like giving an ex 1 more chance and being shocked when you get cheated on again
  • Options

shine166 said:

If only that were true. Just reading posts on this forum alone you can see that it's not the case :neutral:
  • Options

shine166 said:

If only that were true. Just reading posts on this forum alone you can see that it's not the case :neutral:
    Disagree.

The vast majority of fans are respecting people individual decisions on whether to boycott or not.

I've seen no animosity from either side.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Addickted said:

shine166 said:

Disagree.

The vast majority of fans are respecting people individual decisions on whether to boycott or not.

This is our problem we are a split fan base.
    Nearly everyone is happy with what everyone else is doing but it leaves us split.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

shine166 said:

Disagree.

You surprise me. I've seen plenty of animosity, mostly from those who haven't bought season tickets for a while, berating those that have. That said, I've seen less of it this year than I have in the previous two or three. I guess that's either because fewer people are buying ST's in general, or the takeover talk is more important.

By the way, I agree that the majority of fans aren't like this, but I was specifically replying to a post that said 'all fans', which is patently not true.
  • Options
    Sadly I can’t even consider buying a season ticket till a takeover happens, will reconsider when it finally happens in 2025.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Addickted said:

shine166 said:

Disagree.

This is our problem we are a split fan base.
    Nearly everyone is happy with what everyone else is doing but it leaves us split.
    I don’t think we are split, we are all in agreement that we all want what’s best for the team and the boycotters and non-boycotters are in full agreement that each side thinks the other side is deluded if they think their way is the best way to achieve it
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I know we all want a takeover to happen ( hope I’m wrong but I do t think it’s not going to happen) just interested to know how many more years of stagnation and failure people can put up with?
  • Options
    Well the answer is not going to be the same for every person. I have still been going to most games, I'm not going to one game at the Valley next season. But that is me. Others may have more patience. Others may have had less. One thing is for certain, Charlton will go further and further backwards as a club every minute this sad, pathetic loser of an owner retains his interest (not the most appropriate word I know) in our club.
  • Options

rikofold said:

JamesSeed said:

rikofold said:

If even CARD can't present a united front on this issue then for me the statement was the wrong call. CAST have just immediately undermined it with their own statement.

CARD have done a brilliant job but when the philosophical divide cuts that deep it ceases to be the cohesive coalition it was set up to be. From my perspective i'd say thanks to those involved and I appreciate your combined efforts which 100%, have contributed to getting RD to sell but I think they have done all they can, and should consider taking a step back, for now at least because the mixed messages can't contribute anything positive to the cause at this stage.

If individual members of the trust board had ever been given a veto on CARD activity, there would probably have been no protests by CARD at all.
    I understand you won't get 100% agreement all thetime, or maybe ever! it's the nature of the beast when you have many different personalities with varying ideas. My point is that to my knowlege, CAST has never immediately come out and contradicted/,undermined a CARD statement like this publicly before which suggests it is a pretty major philosophical divide.
    Or that trust board members with season tickets were aware they would be called out on this one, whereas trust board members who have never participated in other protests would go under the radar.
    I get what you're saying airman. I also understand how difficult a decision it can be to decide to boycott - did so myself 2 years ago and wasn't a choice I made lightly. I hadn't realized some of the trust board had been so unprepared to get involved in the previous protests - I'm glad I'm not a paid up member if that is the case.
    And @rikofold has forgotten that a large percentage of Trust members are not on Charlton Life; and anyway looking at this thread a large percentage of CL members are unsure that a boycott is the right call, right now. We could have polled members, as we have done regularly in the past, but this thread appears to indicate that on this occasion we had judged the overall mood of our membership correctly.

I read a divided thread. I'm happy for people to make individual choices and no-one's unrealistic about that, but are you guys our voice or not? I may well find myself in the minority but I recall a time when we wouldn't breath without member consensus. Now when individuals on the board feel embarrassed by CARD's statement that routine is not longer required? Really?
    It's worth remembering CAST was set up to represent all fans. And like all fans, the members of CAST have a variety of views.

Let's put it this way. If the Trust surveyed, how many do you think would have ticked the option, "Put out a statement isolating members from CARD because the board have already got their season tickets"?

You don't wait until someone has just purchased something for hundreds of pounds before you suggest they don't use it.

CARD made clear its position on season tickets from the time they went on sale. I’m not sure of the logic that says someone who disregarded that (perfectly reasonably) would then boycott because of a later message. That dog won’t hunt.

The timing is caused by the proximity of the season and the fact he is still here.
    How many paying home fans did we have at each home game last season on average ?

Season ticket holders already stay away in large numbers because the pricing structure means season tickets are bought by many people who never intend to go to every game. You are not going to get anywhere near 10,000 home fans in the stadium whatever they announce or however many comps they print off.

Five hundred home tickets is probably about £8k - £10k a match. The club has told staff not to put the lights on in internal meetings in order to save money, so you can’t really argue they would not be sensitive to lost revenue. But for me it’s more about drawing a line. This guy continues to drag the club down. I can’t be part of that any more.
    Wait up. This can't be true surely? Or are we talking about the lights around the ground?
    Not the ground lights. Meetings are being held in semi-darkness to save on the bills.
  • Options
    Addickted said:

shine166 said:

Disagree.

Then I am afraid you haven't read the thread carefully in the last 48 hours (although I know you might have a good excuse for that).

• Options
    I just want RD to fuck off, not been able to bring myself to attend since Powell got the sack in Sheffield
  • Options

rikofold said:

JamesSeed said:

rikofold said:

Supporters certainly left in the dark. No season ticket from me until Duchatelet has gone. Occasional game similar to last season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Sadly I can’t even consider buying a season ticket till a takeover happens, will reconsider when it finally happens in 2025.

2023 - it's a 5 year plan
  • Options
    This leaving the lights off, the admin fee for printing your own ticket and removing breakfast for the youth team is no doubt keohane's doing. I'd imagine he's trying to muster up whatever contributions he thinks might keep him in a job now that Meire is no longer there
  • Options
    What if the deal is done on the 6th?
  • Options
    I always thought a boycott was the best way to protest (although it’s a bit hypocritical as I’ve never been a regular attendee myself). But with all the ITK’s suggesting the takeover is happening and both parties want it to happen ASAP how can a further boycott hurry it up?
  • Options
    I think keep the boycott until it is an absolute done deal and RD has officially gone, this recent talk that it is a done deal but wont be announced until after the first game of the season sounds great, but I don't want to run off and buy a season ticket to then find out that the entire thing has fallen apart.

How many times have we heard "by the end of this month" or even "by the end of the week".

Sorry, I have lost all trust so I will buy mine when it is an absolute done deal and it is officially announced.
  • Options

I think keep the boycott until it is an absolute done deal and RD has officially gone, this recent talk that it is a done deal but wont be announced until after the first game of the season sounds great, but I don't want to run off and buy a season ticket to then find out that the entire thing has fallen apart.

How many times have we heard "by the end of this month" or even "by the end of the week".

Sorry, I have lost all trust so I will buy mine when it is an absolute done deal and it is officially announced.

sorry, just realised they said the takeover will complete after the Norwich pre-season friendly, not the first game of the season.

Either way... still not happening
  • Options
    redman said:

YTS1978 said:

At the Q&A didn’t Roland’s mate say that the delay was with the Aussies not having sorted all the paperwork? Hurry up and get it in ffs! A boycott will make no difference, if it’s a problem at the buyers end.

Roland's mate said. O that's alright then. Roland is doing everything he can to ensure the club is sold is he?
    Didn't he also say there had been several other interested parties? then put off by either the stupid price asked for or by Roland's stupid antics.
    @redman @LargeAddick yeah, I hear you both, I was just saying that information is out there to suggest the problem is at the buyers end, albeit from a dubious source!
  • Options
    SID said:

I always thought a boycott was the best way to protest (although it’s a bit hypocritical as I’ve never been a regular attendee myself). But with all the ITK’s suggesting the takeover is happening and both parties want it to happen ASAP how can a further boycott hurry it up?

Keep up SID! All the 'ITKs' have been suggesting that the takeover is happening for what seems like an eternity now (they'll eventually be right of course). So therefore, can I suggest that actually, no one is really 'ITK'.