Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD calling for Charlton Athletic fans to boycott Valley if takeover deal is not done by August 4

Comments

• Options
    I knew I was an innovator and an all round trend setter!

I have been boycotting since August the 4th 2008.
  • Options
    razil said:

By all means protest and take it to Belgium, but calling for a boycott like this seems divisive rather than a unifying call as some fans will see it as disloyal or simply wouldn't countenance it. Above all it is unlikely to make any difference. CARD have done everything right until now, but something about this isn't right for me, sorry.

Agreed.
  • Options
    Taxi_Lad said:

I’ll still go. No amount of boycotting will speed up the process. Only a 100% boycott would draw the attention of the press. Anything else is pointless

That’s been the problem all along, 100% boycott was/is the only thing that will work

• Options
    castrust said:
    bogzy.......why have you given this a LOL?
  • Options

I assume one or more of the more level headed members of CARD have left, or have been outnumbered by the more militant.

In reality this call to boycott has little consequence, as others have already said.
    If you've not decided whether you wish to support the team after 4 years, you never will.
    If you want to support the team you will and if you don't you won't. This will change very little, other than maybe a few hundred who are unable to make a decision for themselves.

If CARD know for certain that it is RD delaying the sale, then please supply the evidence, because that would put a different slant on matters.

As it stands we are led to believe the delay is with the Aussies needing to submit further documentation to the EFL.
    I am not criticising the Aussies.

If this is designed to get RD or Murray to make a further statement, then that's fine with me, but of course whenever a club statement is made it is dismissed as lies / not the whole truth.

I have no strong views on CARD's statement either way, so let's see if it helps to move the sale forward or not.

It will be interesting to see Rick boycotting I have to say.

We are all Charlton, so I just hope this doesn't divide the fan base further, as opposed to bringing it together.

The boycott was the subject of detailed discussion among about a dozen or so different people over many weeks. The only people who dissented from it were CAST, because some of their board members have bought season tickets.

My view is that it is the right policy but it was never going to be something that commanded overwhelming support or be particularly effective so I have argued against making the statement, but it’s the clear view of the vast majority involved.
    So the CAST board members cant give thier season tickets back then.
    Is this a boycott or not.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I assume one or more of the more level headed members of CARD have left, or have been outnumbered by the more militant.

In reality this call to boycott has little consequence, as others have already said.
    If you've not decided whether you wish to support the team after 4 years, you never will.
    If you want to support the team you will and if you don't you won't. This will change very little, other than maybe a few hundred who are unable to make a decision for themselves.

If CARD know for certain that it is RD delaying the sale, then please supply the evidence, because that would put a different slant on matters.

As it stands we are led to believe the delay is with the Aussies needing to submit further documentation to the EFL.

If this is designed to get RD or Murray to make a further statement, then that's fine with me, but of course whenever a club statement is made it is dismissed as lies / not the whole truth.

I have no strong views on CARD's statement either way, so let's see if it helps to move the sale forward or not.

We are all Charlton, so I just hope this doesn't divide the fan base further, as opposed to bringing it together.

I won't be going to games until he's gone. That's as a result of backing CARD and is of course to my cost - I've not bought a season ticket for 2 years after about 25 unbroken, but still went to many home games last year - but like I say - not a penny more now until he's gone.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    rikofold said:

I won't be going to games until he's gone. That's as a result of backing CARD and is of course to my cost - I've not bought a season ticket for 2 years after about 25 unbroken, but still went to many home games last year - but like I say - not a penny more now until he's gone.
    I don’t understand when you say not a penny more but went to many home games... am I missing something here?
  • Options
    If even CARD can't present a united front on this issue then for me the statement was the wrong call. CAST have just immediately undermined it with their own statement.

CARD have done a brilliant job but when the philosophical divide cuts that deep it ceases to be the cohesive coalition it was set up to be. From my perspective i'd say thanks to those involved and I appreciate your combined efforts which 100%, have contributed to getting RD to sell but I think they have done all they can, and should consider taking a step back, for now at least because the mixed messages can't contribute anything positive to the cause at this stage.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

If even CARD can't present a united front on this issue then for me the statement was the wrong call. CAST have just immediately undermined it with their own statement.

CARD have done a brilliant job but when the philosophical divide cuts that deep it ceases to be the cohesive coalition it was set up to be. From my perspective i'd say thanks to those involved and I appreciate your combined efforts which 100%, have contributed to getting RD to sell but I think they have done all they can, and should consider taking a step back, for now at least because the mixed messages can't contribute anything positive to the cause at this stage.

If individual members of the trust board had ever been given a veto on CARD activity, there would probably have been no protests by CARD at all.

This is less about a change in the position between CARD and the trust than the fact that a boycott puts individuals on the spot.
  • Options

If individual members of the trust board had ever been given a veto on CARD activity, there would probably have been no protests by CARD at all.
    I understand you won't get 100% agreement all thetime, or maybe ever! it's the nature of the beast when you have many different personalities with varying ideas. My point is that to my knowlege, CAST has never immediately come out and contradicted/,undermined a CARD statement like this publicly before which suggests it is a pretty major philosophical divide.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    CARD has to make the call it thinks is appropriate. It doesn't mean it is the right one, or the wrong one but CARD have made it and it is perfectly reasonable for it to do so. I seriously doubt if it will alter too many positions either way- I am not going until Duchatelet goes, but decided that prior to this announcement.

Hopefully the deal will finally go through and we can all focus on the football.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

The boycott was the subject of detailed discussion among about a dozen or so different people over many weeks. The only people who dissented from it were CAST, because some of their board members have bought season tickets.

My view is that it is the right policy but it was never going to be something that commanded overwhelming support or be particularly effective so I have argued against making the statement, but it’s the clear view of the vast majority involved.
    It's a decision for each individual to make isn't it?
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

So it's not a boycott then?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I understand you won't get 100% agreement all thetime, or maybe ever! it's the nature of the beast when you have many different personalities with varying ideas. My point is that to my knowlege, CAST has never immediately come out and contradicted/,undermined a CARD statement like this publicly before which suggests it is a pretty major philosophical divide.
    Or that trust board members with season tickets were aware they would be called out on this one, whereas trust board members who have never participated in other protests would go under the radar.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

JamesSeed said:

clb74 said:

So it's not a boycott then?
    It's a boycott if you don't go to home matches as a protest. Down to the individual.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think we are just holding fire until the imminent takeover - hopefully not long now. As Davo said, we can't allow Duchatelet to think we have stopped our opposition to him. It may be a small factor in any decisions he makes, but even so, we have to make sure it is there. It isn't just financial, he knows there are people who will seek him out and annoy him and try to embaress him. He is not forgiven or forgotten.
  • Options

I think we are just holding fire until the imminent takeover - hopefully not long now. As Davo said, we can't allow Duchatelet to think we have stopped our opposition to him. It may be a small factor in any decisions he makes, but even so, we have to make sure it is there. It isn't just financial, he knows there are people who will seek him out and annoy him and try to embaress him. He is not forgiven or forgotten.

Agree 100% with this.
  • Options

Or that trust board members with season tickets were aware they would be called out on this one, whereas trust board members who have never participated in other protests would go under the radar.
    I get what you're saying airman. I also understand how difficult a decision it can be to decide to boycott - did so myself 2 years ago and wasn't a choice I made lightly. I hadn't realized some of the trust board had been so unprepared to get involved in the previous protests - I'm glad I'm not a paid up member if that is the case.
  • Options
  • Options
    rikofold said:

It's a funny old situation. A couple of years ago I was imploring you to protest.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

castrust said:
    Not the story here, but nice of the board to avoid asking us members the question and settling on policy based on their own preferences. Voice of the fans, right?
    I thought it a decent statement, but as you say seems rather undemocratic.