Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD calling for Charlton Athletic fans to boycott Valley if takeover deal is not done by August 4

Comments

• Options
    se9addick said:

Something seems odd about this one.

- normally CARD statements appear on CL first, but this one seems to have emerged from a local news source
    - it seems contrary to CARDs previous of “support the team not the regime” message (and a general reluctance to endorse or encourage a full boycott)
    - it seems a bit too late and rushed to have any impact given that season tickets have already been sold

I’ve been supportive of CARD’s tactics previously, but this seems like a bit of a desperate move because they’ve run out of ideas and it’s all a bit too little too late - hope I’m wrong.

Of course it’s a desperate move......what do you expect for Gods sake, we are getting more and more desperate by the day. Indeed, all protest objectives (by whichever group or origination), have been desperate from day one by their very nature.
    Desperate actions by a desperate fan base......what else is there?
  • Options
    I think the bigger protest should be aimed at the EFL. They should be demanding that the club has some form of management structure otherwise its fails its rules & can't compete in the league.

What is "fit & proper" if a club isn't running a football club without a CEO or a CFO. I doubt many small business could run efficiently without either for 6 months, let alone a football club that has a turnover of millions & almost 100 employees (players, coaches, admin etc).
  • Options

se9addick said:

Something seems odd about this one.

- normally CARD statements appear on CL first, but this one seems to have emerged from a local news source
    - it seems contrary to CARDs previous of “support the team not the regime” message (and a general reluctance to endorse or encourage a full boycott)
    - it seems a bit too late and rushed to have any impact given that season tickets have already been sold

I’ve been supportive of CARD’s tactics previously, but this seems like a bit of a desperate move because they’ve run out of ideas and it’s all a bit too little too late - hope I’m wrong.

Of course it’s a desperate move......what do you expect for Gods sake, we are getting more and more desperate by the day. Indeed, all protest objectives (by whichever group or origination), have been desperate from day one by their very nature.
    Desperate actions by a desperate fan base......what else is there?
    Intelligence, strategy and nous - something Charlton fans are famous for. All were on display in previous protest ideas. I don’t see any of that in saying “just don’t go anymore”.

As I say I was and am a supporter of CARD, just commenting that this one seems a bit different to the others.
  • Options
    Full CARD statement:

The Coalition Against Roland Duchatelet (CARD) will call for a boycott of The Valley if the Belgian businessman still owns Charlton Athletic when the new EFL season kicks off on August 4th.

CARD says that it would be “irresponsible” to postpone renewed protest action any longer with the prospect of the team’s three-year spell in League One – or worse – being further extended. Four years at this level would represent the club’s lowest ebb since the 1920s – before The Valley’s Covered End even had a roof.

A spokesperson said: “While we remain hopeful that the Australian consortium will complete a takeover, it would irresponsible to rely on that given that director Richard Murray told the Charlton Athletic Supporters’ Trust a deal was likely to happen in February and the club has been stalling fans ever since. There has been no shortage of interest, as Charlton admit.

“The club still has no chief executive, no head of finance, no chairman, no functioning board of directors, and since March it has had no permanent first-team manager. We believe that it is unprecedented for any club to operate in this way for so long and the idea that it is possible for this set-up to plan effectively for a successful season is naïve and insulting to supporters. Many of the club’s staff, now faced with yet another round of internal cost-cutting, are as demoralised as the fans.

“The uncertainty is such that Charlton can’t even get access to fans’ season-ticket payments made by credit card. The payment handler will only release the cash game by game. Even the accountant representing Duchatelet, who disclosed this last week, admitted publicly that he’d never heard of such a thing before. What does this say about the regime?

“It is obvious that the playing squad is not big enough, not strong enough and it may be further depleted before kick-off, with more established players replaced by free transfers. Caretaker boss Lee Bowyer could be a genius but it wouldn’t matter, because like all his eight predecessors since 2014 he is being set up to fail.

“It is 90 years since Charlton spent four consecutive seasons below Championship level, but that is the clear prospect under Duchatelet’s continued ownership. People will have their own views about the right thing to do, as they have throughout the last four years, but for us this is a tipping point.”

If Duchatelet is still the owner on August 4th, when the team kicks off its League One programme at Sunderland, CARD wants people to refuse to buy home match or season tickets, as well as hospitality packages, merchandise or any other commercial product.

The spokesperson said: “This is not the limit of the action we will take, which will include other protests. We very much hope that none of this is necessary and that instead we can get behind the team under new owners, but with less than three weeks to go before the start of the season it would now be foolish to assume that.”
  • Options

A completely pointless excercise now.

The scroat wants out. But no amount of boycotts, ball throwing or Belgian piss ups will make him sell any quicker.

That is abundantly clear.

Is it really......you seem very certain of that, not saying you’re wrong but really, you can’t be certain either.
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Dont give s fuck about Roland.

I support Charlton and will be there with my season ticket, my mate and my 6 year old son.

If you want to go, go
    If you want to boycott, boycott

But be your own person

this, I'll be there come what may
    I think they're just focusing on August. ;-)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

The scroat wants out. But no amount of boycotts, ball throwing or Belgian piss ups will make him sell any quicker.

Is it really......you seem very certain of that, not saying you’re wrong but really, you can’t be certain either.
    Certain of what?
  • Options

Swisdom said:

Dont give s fuck about Roland.

I support Charlton and will be there with my season ticket, my mate and my 6 year old son.

If you want to go, go
    If you want to boycott, boycott

But be your own person

this, I'll be there come what may
    Hoping he sells before then!
  • Options
    We’re desperate aren’t we. Those that always go will go and those of us who have selectively attended or already boycotted will make our own decision.

The important thing here is that CARD have made a point and got it out there. It’s in the press and sends a message.

• Options

Agree completely that is is a pointless exercise and a matter of self promotion by some. Picking up on selective areas to justify a boycott and advance there own agenda.

As so many have said, what about supporting the team? Do people really think that such an exercise will accelerate the process or make it move any quicker. If this is an administrative matter with all key points agreed and now awaiting forms lodged, then all I can see this doing is alienating the players and manager - the very ones we should be supporting now.

Do people really think that at the start of a such an important season - we so need to get out of this league this year given all the players coming off contract at the end of it - that not getting behind the team is going to help in any way.

Small minded, self obsessed and plain mad

Erm..... what agenda would that be exactly ?

• Options

Agree completely that is is a pointless exercise and a matter of self promotion by some. Picking up on selective areas to justify a boycott and advance there own agenda.

As so many have said, what about supporting the team? Do people really think that such an exercise will accelerate the process or make it move any quicker. If this is an administrative matter with all key points agreed and now awaiting forms lodged, then all I can see this doing is alienating the players and manager - the very ones we should be supporting now.

Do people really think that at the start of a such an important season - we so need to get out of this league this year given all the players coming off contract at the end of it - that not getting behind the team is going to help in any way.

Small minded, self obsessed and plain mad

FFS
  • Options
    90 years since we spent 4 consecutive seasons below the Championship.

Wow - I didnt know that. So post this season, we can say truthfully that it has never been this bad.
  • Options
    Oh yay, another "Boycotters aren't REAL FANS"/"People who still go to matches aren't REAL FANS" thread. It's been a few weeks since we had one of these.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Certain of what?
    That he will sell any quicker.......and by the way, your calling the Belgian protests a ‘piss up’ is insulting to those who went out there......it kind of says where you’re coming from over those protests.
    Look. Fair play to those that went out to Belgium. I've protested. Boycotted too. I suppose you could say I'm joining the boycott because I really have no interest in attending and can't say I'll be rushing back even after he's gone.
    And that is what he's done. He's slowly destroyed this club . So much so that I really don't feel like coming back.

If you want to do something just so you feel like you're making a difference ,and doing something is better than nothing then crack on. But I'm not getting involved no more. Good it's done

As I said. I've done my bit. And look where it's got us.

Hope he Fu**s off soon. We sure as shit ain't gonna force him out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m shocked ... didn’t know the start of the season was so close. Summer hasn’t finished yet
  • Options
    Sadly I feel this is a bit of saying something for the sake of it. Campaigns ebb and flow and there is so much uncertainty I can understand why it's been said, but I don't think it's the right thing to say at the moment. Having said that, I haven't got any bright ideas about what is the right thing to say.
  • Options

Spot on
  • Options
    EastStand said:

Oh yay, another "Boycotters aren't REAL FANS"/"People who still go to matches aren't REAL FANS" thread. It's been a few weeks since we had one of these.

Customers?
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Certain of what?
    That he will sell any quicker.......and by the way, your calling the Belgian protests a ‘piss up’ is insulting to those who went out there......it kind of says where you’re coming from over those protests.
    Look. Fair play to those that went out to Belgium. I've protested. Boycotted too. I suppose you could say I'm joining the boycott because I really have no interest in attending and can't say I'll be rushing back even after he's gone.
    And that is what he's done. He's slowly destroyed this club . So much so that I really don't feel like coming back.

If you want to do something just so you feel like you're making a difference ,and doing something is better than nothing then crack on. But I'm not getting involved no more. Good it's done

Fair enough Carly.....each to their own.
    Let’s not forget that CARD are only ‘suggesting’ these forms of action, no one is digging out those that don’t wish to follow their requests.
    However, I and others will dig out those that choose to do nothing and at the same time criticise those that do.
  • Options

Certain of what?

Fair enough Carly.....each to their own.
    Let’s not forget that CARD are only ‘suggesting’ these forms of action, no one is digging out those that don’t wish to follow their requests.
    However, I and others will dig out those that choose to do nothing and at the same time criticise those that do.
    Oh and Carly by the way......don’t you dare join the ranks of the apologists......I and others on here would think better of you than that!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    bit pointless the ones that have bought season tickets already have bought them so he has the money, a few bovrils wont make the difference i will do the same as other season pick and choose the games i go to, all be it i usually use a season ticket of a friends that cant make it so in that way wank-chops does not get any more.

some people will attend regardless.
  • Options
    Sadly boycotts won’t work . Sure the attendances will be incredibly low but sadly people will always buy season tickets regardless of who owns the club .
    I’m so disillusioned that I haven’t even bothered looking at the fixtures yet and even worse I have the feeling these Australians could be just as bad if they ever get their act together and takeover. Alarm bells are ringing .
    It’s non league football for me mainly this season.
  • Options
    CARD can do one as far as im concerned