Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD calling for Charlton Athletic fans to boycott Valley if takeover deal is not done by August 4

Comments

• Options
    boggzy said:

boggzy said:

castrust said:
    bogzy.......why have you given this a LOL?
    Because, bluntly, I find it laughable that the 'supporters trust' put up a statement titled 'To boycott or not to boycott' in July two-thousand-and-fucking-eighteen.

What a great time to have this conversation - Duchâtelet took over in Feb (I think) 2014. Anyone with any nous could see what was happening over the next few months, if they couldn't then *certainly* they would have been able to by January 2015.
    Do you do what CAST or CARD suggest you should do or do you make your own mind up?
    What a strange question.

I made my mind up in January 2015. Haven't been to a home game since bar the big Middlesborough protest game.

The point I am making is that these groups should have been advocating a boycott *ages* ago. To talk about it now is utter lunacy.

You only have to look back at a few comments on this thread to see that people who would have gone a few times this season (or at least went a few times last season) will not now do so because of the CARD statement. Yes they will be a minority and most people think for themselves, but anyone who calls themselves the 'supporters trust' should have been calling for a boycott at least three years ago.

Then again any supporters trust which has friends of Richard Murray on the board is obviously completely unfit for purpose.

So you made up your own mind.....just like everyone else.....I rest my case.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    rikofold said:

castrust said:
    Not the story here, but nice of the board to avoid asking us members the question and settling on policy based on their own preferences. Voice of the fans, right?
    I would have voted boycott, obviously, but it would have been nice to be asked.

That said, I don't think you're going to change anyone's minds at this stage. It's been what, four years since Duchatelet took over, he has never been closer to selling as he is now, and I can't see what there is to gain by calling for a boycott. They should have done this three years ago when it would have at least appeared to have made an impact. The drop in fans attending clearly shows that people would have got behind it, but now, we've hardly got any fans attending anyway.
  • Options

I honestly don’t think I’ve felt so disinterested about a forthcoming season.....regardless of a boycott I don’t think I can come up with the enthusiasm anyway.

I think there are many of us who right now feel the same Ricky........but come kick off at The Stadium of Light in a few days a few unavoidable emotions will kick in as if by magic......just you wait and see.
    Hope so mate. I think maybe the World Cup being on ‘extended’ the season a bit and as a consequence, the usual wait for the new season has come around quickly.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    rikofold said:

rikofold said:

I support Card all the way but with the best part of 5k season tickets already sold I can't see much of a boycott other than those that will boycott regardless.

Indeed. In hindsight, boycott calls were for 2 years ago, and I’m still not convinced it would have worked then.

Too many maybes are still in play. If this takeover collapses, nothing else emerges and RD is still squeezing things down, then they need to start again in a big way with widespread support. Right now seems half hearted and ultimately pointless imo.
    People will make their own choices. For me, knowing a little of Duchatelet's treatment of suppliers, players and staff right now, not a penny more for him from me.

Fully supportive of the CARD statement, as a protest and as a prudent choice right now.
    Ah, so if you want fans to boycott based on Duchatelet's treatment of suppliers, players and staff, should this not be shared with the fans ?
    Not what I said at all was it.
    Sorry Rikofold you said ,"people will make their own choices. For me, knowing a little of Duchatelet's treatment of suppliers, players and staff right now, not a penny more for him from me.

Fully supportive of the CARD statement, as a protest and as a prudent choice right now."

I'm not sure what you're saying then. To me you're saying you're boycotting for the reasons you gave and fully support the CARD statement.

Edit - I suppose you're saying you're not calling for a boycott and people need to make their own choices. Apologies.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

The whole issue of a boycott represents a major dilemma, as is illustrated by the difference of view as between CARD and CAST.

As others have said, CARD’s call for a boycott IF the takeover hasn’t completed by 4 August does feel a little desperate but the reality is that we are in a desperate position and the club - and it’s supporters - have now been in limbo for several months. There is a general sense of impotence and what other options do CARD have, other than to do nothing ? I suspect that they are trying to give the process a nudge, in so far as they are able - perhaps to the Australians, as well as Roland - and there is plenty of scope for them to modify their position over the next three and a half weeks if there are real and tangible developments before the first home game.

On the other hand, many supporters are going to be loathe to boycott home matches when the public position of both Duchatelet and the Australians is that they wish to complete the takeover and we are all in the dark as to what is, in truth, holding things up. Supporters who have purchased season tickets are going to be particularly reluctant not to attend games in the present circumstances.

What really will unite the vast majority of our remaining supporters is if the deal with the Aussies falls through and we are faced with further withering on the vine under Duchatelet. In that scenario, I can see that a full blown boycott and vigorous protests may encourage him to a more realistic view on the sum he is seeking for the club.

Bit too late for that.
  • Options
    In all honesty if the belgian is here next season he will rip us an even newer one and come December will be lucky if theres 4000 in the ground.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I have a suggestion for CARD.

I think it would be wise to put out a further statement, clarifying in detail, as to the specific reasons for the boycott call.
    I mean what is specifically happening now to justify it, not just what has happened historically.

I would like to clarify that although I'm unlikely to boycott, I'd never say never and if I was convinced of the validity and the effectiveness I may do so.

I did leave 15 mins early when we walked out of the Boro (was it) game, although I was one of not many.
    I also left early for the Brighton protest.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The fact that many would have already bought season tickets makes boycotting a little difficult anyway. I'm sure there are some fans that have regretted buying their season tickets as they assumed that the takeover would have gone through by now, and they may well have added to the ranks of the boycotters. But, once your money is paid, it's then very difficult to not turn up.

The timing of this seems more than a little odd.
  • Options

rikofold said:

rikofold said:

I support Card all the way but with the best part of 5k season tickets already sold I can't see much of a boycott other than those that will boycott regardless.

Indeed. In hindsight, boycott calls were for 2 years ago, and I’m still not convinced it would have worked then.

Too many maybes are still in play. If this takeover collapses, nothing else emerges and RD is still squeezing things down, then they need to start again in a big way with widespread support. Right now seems half hearted and ultimately pointless imo.
    People will make their own choices. For me, knowing a little of Duchatelet's treatment of suppliers, players and staff right now, not a penny more for him from me.

Fully supportive of the CARD statement, as a protest and as a prudent choice right now.
    Ah, so if you want fans to boycott based on Duchatelet's treatment of suppliers, players and staff, should this not be shared with the fans ?
    Not what I said at all was it.
    Sorry Rikofold you said ,"people will make their own choices. For me, knowing a little of Duchatelet's treatment of suppliers, players and staff right now, not a penny more for him from me.

Fully supportive of the CARD statement, as a protest and as a prudent choice right now."

I'm not sure what you're saying then. To me you're saying you're boycotting for the reasons you gave and fully support the CARD statement.

Edit - I suppose you're saying you're not calling for a boycott and people need to make their own choices. Apologies.
    Mate, all I was saying was that I personally support the call for a boycott and will be carrying that out as a protest. That the current climate at the club is unsustainable adds to my reasons. Someone's explained their own circumstances that plays into my reasons.

I'm not saying others have to join the boycott, that's up to them. I hope they do though.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

If even CARD can't present a united front on this issue then for me the statement was the wrong call. CAST have just immediately undermined it with their own statement.

CARD have done a brilliant job but when the philosophical divide cuts that deep it ceases to be the cohesive coalition it was set up to be. From my perspective i'd say thanks to those involved and I appreciate your combined efforts which 100%, have contributed to getting RD to sell but I think they have done all they can, and should consider taking a step back, for now at least because the mixed messages can't contribute anything positive to the cause at this stage.

If individual members of the trust board had ever been given a veto on CARD activity, there would probably have been no protests by CARD at all.
    I understand you won't get 100% agreement all thetime, or maybe ever! it's the nature of the beast when you have many different personalities with varying ideas. My point is that to my knowlege, CAST has never immediately come out and contradicted/,undermined a CARD statement like this publicly before which suggests it is a pretty major philosophical divide.
    Or that trust board members with season tickets were aware they would be called out on this one, whereas trust board members who have never participated in other protests would go under the radar.
    I get what you're saying airman. I also understand how difficult a decision it can be to decide to boycott - did so myself 2 years ago and wasn't a choice I made lightly. I hadn't realized some of the trust board had been so unprepared to get involved in the previous protests - I'm glad I'm not a paid up member if that is the case.
    And @rikofold has forgotten that a large percentage of Trust members are not on Charlton Life; and anyway looking at this thread a large percentage of CL members are unsure that a boycott is the right call, right now. We could have polled members, as we have done regularly in the past, but this thread appears to indicate that on this occasion we had judged the overall mood of our membership correctly.

Sometimes I fucking despair.
    Well which is it mate? Listen to CL or not?

I read a divided thread. I'm happy for people to make individual choices and no-one's unrealistic about that, but are you guys our voice or not? I may well find myself in the minority but I recall a time when we wouldn't breath without member consensus. Now when individuals on the board feel embarrassed by CARD's statement that routine is not longer required? Really?
    It's worth remembering CAST was set up to represent all fans. And like all fans, the members of CAST have a variety of views.
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

rikofold said:

If even CARD can't present a united front on this issue then for me the statement was the wrong call. CAST have just immediately undermined it with their own statement.

CARD have done a brilliant job but when the philosophical divide cuts that deep it ceases to be the cohesive coalition it was set up to be. From my perspective i'd say thanks to those involved and I appreciate your combined efforts which 100%, have contributed to getting RD to sell but I think they have done all they can, and should consider taking a step back, for now at least because the mixed messages can't contribute anything positive to the cause at this stage.

If individual members of the trust board had ever been given a veto on CARD activity, there would probably have been no protests by CARD at all.
    I understand you won't get 100% agreement all thetime, or maybe ever! it's the nature of the beast when you have many different personalities with varying ideas. My point is that to my knowlege, CAST has never immediately come out and contradicted/,undermined a CARD statement like this publicly before which suggests it is a pretty major philosophical divide.
    Or that trust board members with season tickets were aware they would be called out on this one, whereas trust board members who have never participated in other protests would go under the radar.
    I get what you're saying airman. I also understand how difficult a decision it can be to decide to boycott - did so myself 2 years ago and wasn't a choice I made lightly. I hadn't realized some of the trust board had been so unprepared to get involved in the previous protests - I'm glad I'm not a paid up member if that is the case.
    And @rikofold has forgotten that a large percentage of Trust members are not on Charlton Life; and anyway looking at this thread a large percentage of CL members are unsure that a boycott is the right call, right now. We could have polled members, as we have done regularly in the past, but this thread appears to indicate that on this occasion we had judged the overall mood of our membership correctly.

I read a divided thread. I'm happy for people to make individual choices and no-one's unrealistic about that, but are you guys our voice or not? I may well find myself in the minority but I recall a time when we wouldn't breath without member consensus. Now when individuals on the board feel embarrassed by CARD's statement that routine is not longer required? Really?
    It's worth remembering CAST was set up to represent all fans. And like all fans, the members of CAST have a variety of views.
    I know only too well, as @Covered End will tell you. :smile:

Let's put it this way. If the Trust surveyed, how many do you think would have ticked the option, "Put out a statement isolating members from CARD because the board have already got their season tickets"?
  • Options
    rikofold said:

JamesSeed said:

rikofold said:

Let's put it this way. If the Trust surveyed, how many do you think would have ticked the option, "Put out a statement isolating members from CARD because the board have already got their season tickets"?
    Which is why the timing of this call for a boycott doesn't seem right at all.

You don't wait until someone has just purchased something for hundreds of pounds before you suggest they don't use it.
    You make the suggestion before the purchase.

(This reply is in general, not to you Rikofold).
  • Options

rikofold said:

JamesSeed said:

rikofold said:

You don't wait until someone has just purchased something for hundreds of pounds before you suggest they don't use it.

They’ve been saying the same thing for yonks!
  • Options

rikofold said:

JamesSeed said:

rikofold said:

I don't understand you.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

rikofold said:

JamesSeed said:

rikofold said:

CARD made clear its position on season tickets from the time they went on sale. I’m not sure of the logic that says someone who disregarded that (perfectly reasonably) would then boycott because of a later message. That dog won’t hunt.

The timing is caused by the proximity of the season and the fact he is still here.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

rikofold said:

JamesSeed said:

rikofold said:

CARD made clear its position on season tickets from the time they went on sale. I’m not sure of the logic that says someone who disregarded that (perfectly reasonably) would then boycott because of a later message. That dog won’t hunt.

The timing is caused by the proximity of the season and the fact he is still here.
    12/4/2018

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/81595/card-urges-fans-not-to-buy-2018-19-season-tickets-while-duchatelet-remains-charlton-owner-12-4-18/p1

22/5/2018

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/82110/card-renews-call-for-fans-not-to-buy-season-tickets-before-takeover-is-confirmed/p1
  • Options

rikofold said:

JamesSeed said:

rikofold said:

Agreed, so the S/T holders won't boycott.
    How many paying home fans did we have at each home game last season on average ?
    Was it somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 ?
    So how many will boycott, 500, 1,000 ?

So instead of 10,000 gates announced we might get 9,000 ?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

rikofold said:

JamesSeed said:

rikofold said:

I don't understand you.
    ?
  • Options
    Davo55 said:

making it clear we haven't gone away.

By staying away.

That’s as ironic as sitting in a stand :-)
  • Options
    If not all information is in the public domain and people on here not willing or able to share then it’s hard for those not in the know to understand why a boycott now is a good idea.

Alll the mere mortals know for sure is a statement saying RD wants out, the Aussies want in and paperwork is in progress.

Logic says it will conclude soon or otherwise RD has to carry on with what is becoming a millstone for him. Money talks and he can’t surely carry on in limbo indefinitely.

Tell us more if there is more.

As to the boycott I struggle to see what it does if 5k season tickets already sold. Maybe 2k floating support might be influenced by CARD who knows. No idea on numbers really but it’s worth remembering most don’t decide based on this forum.

Also August still sees many people on holiday.

Reading between the lines I imagine CARD want a car park sit in protest or similar at the first game. Else how do you know if it’s been boycotted or just apathy ?

• Options
    I have said it before and I'll say it again.

A boycott of purchasing season tickets and attending games should have been done the season we got relegated.
  • Options
    I’d love everyone to boycott but the club will still announce a 13,000 attendance and that’s the number that’ll be recorded for evermore so it doesn’t really matter in the long run innit
  • Options

A boycott of purchasing season tickets and attending games should have been done the season we got relegated.

Did you say something else
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Did you say something else
    ......that you're a cock.
  • Options
    Mrkinski said:

rikofold said:

JamesSeed said:

rikofold said:

Agreed, so the S/T holders won't boycott.
    How many paying home fans did we have at each home game last season on average ?
    Was it somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 ?
    So how many will boycott, 500, 1,000 ?

So instead of 10,000 gates announced we might get 9,000 ?
    Season ticket holders already stay away in large numbers because the pricing structure means season tickets are bought by many people who never intend to go to every game. You are not going to get anywhere near 10,000 home fans in the stadium whatever they announce or however many comps they print off.

Five hundred home tickets is probably about £8k - £10k a match. The club has told staff not to put the lights on in internal meetings in order to save money, so you can’t really argue they would not be sensitive to lost revenue. But for me it’s more about drawing a line. This guy continues to drag the club down. I can’t be part of that any more.
    Here's an idea for the next protest - storm the board-room and switch the lights on.

In all seriousness, are they going to rearrange all winter evening matches, so they don't have to switch the bloody floodlights on?

Hurry up with this takeover Aussies - I also moved into the total boycott until he has gone camp this season. No friendlies, no matches, no merch. Not a penny more. If it's a permanent goodbye, so be it.
    No, those few supporters that remain are going to be asked to wear miner's helmets.