Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CARD calling for Charlton Athletic fans to boycott Valley if takeover deal is not done by August 4

Comments

• Options
    Davo55 said:

This was always going to be a very contentious decision.

For me, the key point is that we can't slide into another season under Duchatelet's ownership without making it clear we haven't gone away. Would anyone really want him to get the idea that all is forgiven and maybe he should start again? I don't actually think the delay in the takeover is wholly down to Duchatelet (although there is no doubt in my mind that it's his inflated price which has deterred earlier bidders) but putting a bit of further economic pressure and media spotlight on him won't do any harm at all.

I don't think anyone actually wants to boycott and are hoping that the takeover goes through before the boycott actually comes into effect. But it's not enough, in my opinion, just to let things roll interminably on without trying to do something to influence the situation.

I don't believe for a nano second that RD thinks all is forgiven and he would wish to start again.
    He has stated on numerous occasions, he no longer has any interest in football, it was a mistake to get involved and he wants out.

I hope this initiative helps things along, but if the delay is with The Aussies needing to submit paperwork I don't see how this will assist.

If anyone from CARD knows the delay is down to something else, then please tell us and give us some evidence.
  • Options

If even CARD can't present a united front on this issue then for me the statement was the wrong call. CAST have just immediately undermined it with their own statement.

CARD have done a brilliant job but when the philosophical divide cuts that deep it ceases to be the cohesive coalition it was set up to be. From my perspective i'd say thanks to those involved and I appreciate your combined efforts which 100%, have contributed to getting RD to sell but I think they have done all they can, and should consider taking a step back, for now at least because the mixed messages can't contribute anything positive to the cause at this stage.

If individual members of the trust board had ever been given a veto on CARD activity, there would probably have been no protests by CARD at all.
    I understand you won't get 100% agreement all thetime, or maybe ever! it's the nature of the beast when you have many different personalities with varying ideas. My point is that to my knowlege, CAST has never immediately come out and contradicted/,undermined a CARD statement like this publicly before which suggests it is a pretty major philosophical divide.
    Or that trust board members with season tickets were aware they would be called out on this one, whereas trust board members who have never participated in other protests would go under the radar.
    I get what you're saying airman. I also understand how difficult a decision it can be to decide to boycott - did so myself 2 years ago and wasn't a choice I made lightly. I hadn't realized some of the trust board had been so unprepared to get involved in the previous protests - I'm glad I'm not a paid up member if that is the case.
    The trouble is that it is not the case; not fair, and manifestly unhelpful to fan solidarity against Duchatelet to suggest otherwise. In case you don't know:

The bloke leading the coffin protest in the funeral hat; that's the current chairman

The bloke who led the Woolwich meeting. That's the previous chairman.

Weegie Addick has some tough personal family issues right now which rather override any football involvement. But anyone who knows her will not question her commitment to standing up to be counted, not her ability to voice that commitment very effectively.

As for me I am not a season ticket holder, but living in Prague there is a kind of reason for that. I was in Sint-Truiden for the protest and am a paid up member of ROT.

I don't think Rick knows well any of the other current Trust board members.

And @rikofold has forgotten that a large percentage of Trust members are not on Charlton Life; and anyway looking at this thread a large percentage of CL members are unsure that a boycott is the right call, right now. We could have polled members, as we have done regularly in the past, but this thread appears to indicate that on this occasion we had judged the overall mood of our membership correctly.

Sometimes I fucking despair.
  • Options
    Just as a matter of interest, does anyone who was not going to boycott intend to do so as a result of the CARD statement?
  • Options

If even CARD can't present a united front on this issue then for me the statement was the wrong call. CAST have just immediately undermined it with their own statement.

CARD have done a brilliant job but when the philosophical divide cuts that deep it ceases to be the cohesive coalition it was set up to be. From my perspective i'd say thanks to those involved and I appreciate your combined efforts which 100%, have contributed to getting RD to sell but I think they have done all they can, and should consider taking a step back, for now at least because the mixed messages can't contribute anything positive to the cause at this stage.

If individual members of the trust board had ever been given a veto on CARD activity, there would probably have been no protests by CARD at all.
    I understand you won't get 100% agreement all thetime, or maybe ever! it's the nature of the beast when you have many different personalities with varying ideas. My point is that to my knowlege, CAST has never immediately come out and contradicted/,undermined a CARD statement like this publicly before which suggests it is a pretty major philosophical divide.
    Or that trust board members with season tickets were aware they would be called out on this one, whereas trust board members who have never participated in other protests would go under the radar.
    I get what you're saying airman. I also understand how difficult a decision it can be to decide to boycott - did so myself 2 years ago and wasn't a choice I made lightly. I hadn't realized some of the trust board had been so unprepared to get involved in the previous protests - I'm glad I'm not a paid up member if that is the case.
    The trouble is that it is not the case; not fair, and manifestly unhelpful to fan solidarity against Duchatelet to suggest otherwise. In case you don't know:

The bloke leading the coffin protest in the funeral hat; that's the current chairman

Weegie Addick has some tough personal family issues right now which rather override any football involvement. But anyone who knows her will not question her commitment to standing up to be counted, not her ability to voice that commitment very effectively.

As for me I am not a season ticket holder, but living in Prague there is a kind of reason for that. I was in Sint-Truiden for the protest and am a paid up member of ROT.

And @rikofold has forgotten that a large percentage of Trust members are not on Charlton Life; and anyway looking at this thread a large percentage of CL members are unsure that a boycott is the right call, right now. We could have polled members, as we have done regularly in the past, but this thread appears to indicate that on this occasion we had judged the overall mood of our membership correctly.

Its not a boycott then
  • Options
    edited July 2018

The Woolwich meeting was not a protest, of itself. It was convened by the trust - who else would have chaired it? It predated CARD by nearly a year and so has nothing to do with CARD-led protests.

You know very well that the trust board includes different views about CARD protests and I know that because it has been reported to CARD, including by people who have quit the board.

That’s not necessarily a bad thing but to imply all the trust board has always been behind each CARD protest is nonsense.
  • Options

The Woolwich meeting was not a protest.
    The Woolwich meeting helped define our future.
  • Options

Didn't know any of that and didn't profess to know either - no offence intended to the board members you mentioned. For what it's worth I agree it was a bad call to make the CARD statement as I said in my first post in the thread. It also emphasises my original point that there are some big differences within CARD that a contentious statement like this has exposed quite publicly.

I say that with all due respect and appreciation to all of CARD as I also mentioned previously.
  • Options
    milo said:

I’ve already renewed my season ticket but because I want to support the boycott I plan to take 400 micrograms of LSD about an hour prior to kick off. I think this way I can support the boycott by being in an altered state of reality for the duration of the match.

I’m going to give my son 200 micrograms, he is only thirteen after all, so that he can boycott with me.

If you see me and the boy wandering around trying to insert our season tickets in to letterboxes on Hervey Gardens or over enthusiastically following the mascots around (who let’s face it look fairly psychedelic already) please point us in the direction of the family strand.

You are wasting your money on LSD. Simply watching Charlton under Duchatelet is an altered state of reality.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ^^^ well said that man
  • Options
    NugNug
    edited July 2018
    @Covered End why does this bother you so much? Take it or leave it.
  • Options
    I'm not sure, but did someone say earlier, that they hoped that this would bring the fans together ?
  • Options

Didn't know any of that and didn't profess to know either - no offence intended to the board members you mentioned. For what it's worth I agree it was a bad call to make the CARD statement as I said in my first post in the thread. It also emphasises my original point that there are some big differences within CARD that a contentious statement like this has exposed quite publicly.

I say that with all due respect and appreciation to all of CARD as I also mentioned previously.
    Do the differences you refer to make a blind bit of difference to whether fans protest or refuse to attend or indeed do neither.......so a few CARD members have differing views.....so what, it isn’t damaging the group nor altering or damaging it’s ultimate intention.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I'm still waiting for someone from CARD to explain to us, how a boycott will speed up the Aussies submitting the necessary paperwork to the EFL ?

Alternatively to tell us what RD is doing to cause a delay at this point in time (accepted that the price is too high) ?

Thirdly, what are these supplier, player, staff issues that has caused Rikofold to boycott (apart from the Academy players not being provided with breakfast) ?

I don't question whether it's true or not.

I'm simply saying how can you ask fans to boycott if you don't want to explain why with evidence.

This is too much like Brexit. All talk and no facts :smile:

I hope the Aussie paperwork is the only factor, but for example they don’t agree with the club’s statement last week that the ex-directors’ loans are not an issue. Why did Duchatelet do nothing until mid-June and then offer 25 per cent?

I think the picture is rather bigger than one stumbling block with one interested party though. The reason the Aussies are in pole position is because of Duchateiet’s determination to make others pay for his mistakes. It’s not the running costs, it’s the price.

Where will we be if the Aussies never sort that paperwork out, because the problem is substantive? How long should we wait?

Rikofold can answer for himself, but he is someone who talks to staff regularly in an official capacity, as you know.
  • Options
    boggzy said:

castrust said:
    bogzy.......why have you given this a LOL?
    Because, bluntly, I find it laughable that the 'supporters trust' put up a statement titled 'To boycott or not to boycott' in July two-thousand-and-fucking-eighteen.

What a great time to have this conversation - Duchâtelet took over in Feb (I think) 2014. Anyone with any nous could see what was happening over the next few months, if they couldn't then *certainly* they would have been able to by January 2015.
    Do you do what CAST or CARD suggest you should do or do you make your own mind up?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I honestly don’t think I’ve felt so disinterested about a forthcoming season.....regardless of a boycott I don’t think I can come up with the enthusiasm anyway.
  • Options

I'm still waiting for someone from CARD to explain to us, how a boycott will speed up the Aussies submitting the necessary paperwork to the EFL ?

Alternatively to tell us what RD is doing to cause a delay at this point in time (accepted that the price is too high) ?

Thirdly, what are these supplier, player, staff issues that has caused Rikofold to boycott (apart from the Academy players not being provided with breakfast) ?

I don't question whether it's true or not.

I'm simply saying how can you ask fans to boycott if you don't want to explain why with evidence.

This is too much like Brexit. All talk and no facts :smile:

I hope the Aussie paperwork is the only factor, but for example they don’t agree with the club’s statement last week that the ex-directors’ loans are not an issue. Why did Duchatelet do nothing until mid-June and then offer 25 per cent?

I think the picture is rather bigger than one stumbling block with one interested party though. The reason the Aussies are in poll position is because of Duchateiet’s determination to make others pay for his mistakes. It’s not the running costs, it’s the price.

Where will we be if the Aussies never sort that paperwork out, because the problem is substantive? How long should we wait?

Rikofold can answer for himself, but he is someone who talks to staff regularly in an official capacity, as you know.
    Sorry Airman, are you saying the Aussies don’t agree with the club’s statement last week that the ex-directors’ loans are not an issue and Duchatelet did nothing until mid-June and then offer 25 per cent ?
    Do we know 100% that this is true ?

This is precisely my point. If CARD call a boycott then they need to explain why in detail with facts, because surely that is crucial as to whether a boycott is supported or not ?
  • Options

rikofold said:

I support Card all the way but with the best part of 5k season tickets already sold I can't see much of a boycott other than those that will boycott regardless.

Indeed. In hindsight, boycott calls were for 2 years ago, and I’m still not convinced it would have worked then.

Too many maybes are still in play. If this takeover collapses, nothing else emerges and RD is still squeezing things down, then they need to start again in a big way with widespread support. Right now seems half hearted and ultimately pointless imo.
    People will make their own choices. For me, knowing a little of Duchatelet's treatment of suppliers, players and staff right now, not a penny more for him from me.

Fully supportive of the CARD statement, as a protest and as a prudent choice right now.
    Ah, so if you want fans to boycott based on Duchatelet's treatment of suppliers, players and staff, should this not be shared with the fans ?
    Not what I said at all was it.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

I honestly don’t think I’ve felt so disinterested about a forthcoming season.....regardless of a boycott I don’t think I can come up with the enthusiasm anyway.

I think there are many of us who right now feel the same Ricky........but come kick off at The Stadium of Light in a few days a few unavoidable emotions will kick in as if by magic......just you wait and see.
  • Options

rikofold said:

I assume one or more of the more level headed members of CARD have left, or have been outnumbered by the more militant.

In reality this call to boycott has little consequence, as others have already said.
    If you've not decided whether you wish to support the team after 4 years, you never will.
    If you want to support the team you will and if you don't you won't. This will change very little, other than maybe a few hundred who are unable to make a decision for themselves.

If CARD know for certain that it is RD delaying the sale, then please supply the evidence, because that would put a different slant on matters.

As it stands we are led to believe the delay is with the Aussies needing to submit further documentation to the EFL.
    I am not criticising the Aussies.

If this is designed to get RD or Murray to make a further statement, then that's fine with me, but of course whenever a club statement is made it is dismissed as lies / not the whole truth.

I have no strong views on CARD's statement either way, so let's see if it helps to move the sale forward or not.

It will be interesting to see Rick boycotting I have to say.

We are all Charlton, so I just hope this doesn't divide the fan base further, as opposed to bringing it together.

I won't be going to games until he's gone. That's as a result of backing CARD and is of course to my cost - I've not bought a season ticket for 2 years after about 25 unbroken, but still went to many home games last year - but like I say - not a penny more now until he's gone.
    It's a funny old situation. A couple of years ago I was imploring you to protest.
    Haha, you were indeed. Still, I got off the horse and went and did it, didn't I? :smile:
  • Options
    Fuck this thread.
    Just do what you believe is right.
    At the end of the day we all want the same thing.
    Night Night
  • Options
    I believe the Aussies exist, but what is in front of us is Duchatelet.
    It is what it presently is and we have to deal with it.
    The division between fans as in apologists and protestors is fair enough, but we are having arguments in the fan base about who has the best and first news about stuff, and who might be the best and worst or most credible part of the resistance. Or who is most supportive and loyal no matter what.
    This is damaging.
    The strengths and weaknesses of CARD, or the Trust, or ROT, or the Belgium 20 or whoever, and the actions of individuals or groups in this whole farrago is overshadowed by the one unifying fact, it is that Charlton fans are reacting one way or another because they are Charlton fans. I suppose that does not include those who have drifted away out of disappointment, disinterest or apathy, but includes all those who still feel engaged in some way.
    It is unwise for any of us to claim some kind of moral or practical superiority over any other fan. Just as wins and points are a stark baseline with the football at the club, being engaged or not is another baseline regarding fans. A 'positive' boycotter is as engaged as anybody who still attends, or intends to attend in the future. Just like an overseas fan is engaged as a fan too.
    I suppose what all this adds up to is that people have got to do what they have got to do and ought not to be too judgemental of others who do things differently.
    For me the issue is still how to get rid of Duchatelet.