Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Brighton (24/7/18)

Comments

• Options

Stand outs for me tonight was prately and lapslie, prately looked like he was running the game first half and lapslie looked like he had a lot of quality on the ball.

I thought mascoll looked good too.

Ajose looked dire, I just don’t get what he brings to the table. Not particularly quick, doesn’t get into goalscoring positions and doesn’t aid the build up play.

100% agree with it all. I thought Ward did well again - don't know if HE knows he's not staying. Also thought Dawkins looked a bit meh again. Seen him twice now & hasn't done enough imo.....but its an extra body in the building I suppose.

Just to add Morgam should have been subbed. Obviously injured & a more experienced pro would have told LB to get him off. Its not as LB couldn't see it for himself as Morgan spent 5 mins hobbling right in front of him. I do wonder sometimes what planet LB is on.

Highlight for Golfie jnr (apart from Sarr's goal) was spotting Vetokele in the stand not far from us....followed by Solly, Bauer, Pearce & Reeves. At one stage it looked like crocks corner.......

Marshall hurried away at the end......perhaps he has a gig elsewhere seeing as LB only sees him as a RB nowdays.
  • Options
    For a few beautiful moments, Naby looked like an amalgam of the ‘Kaiser’, circa 1966/74. His agent will be busy loading that one onto YouTube, for sure. I can almost feel Roland salivating over his laptop at the prospect (albeit very remote) of saving a few quid in wages through another loan deal.

I saw most of the game online and it looked like a decent and reasonably entertaining runout. As ever, very good commentary from Terry and Greg.
  • Options
    Is Yao of Chinese descent? The name seems very Chinese.
  • Options

Is Yao of Chinese descent? The name seems very Chinese.

I looked up what was going on there.

Apparently, there are a not insignificant number of people in the Caribbean with some Chinese mixed into their ancestry! The Chinese arrived as workers in the post-slavery era. Yao is English and of Afro-Caribbean descent.

Thanks! That makes sense.
  • Options
    Rohan Ince is the third cousin of Paul Ince and the nephew of Eric Young. Given Ince's stature, one would suggest that Rohan takes after the latter who was one of Wimbledon's Crazy Gang and known for his physical presence.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Scoham said:
    Just under 1800 Charlton fans , please tell me they were all freebies
  • Options

Rohan Ince is the third cousin of Paul Ince and the nephew of Eric Young. Given Ince's stature, one would suggest that Rohan takes after the latter who was one of Wimbledon's Crazy Gang and known for his physical presence.

He was known for his headband above everything else

• Options
    Scoham said:
    That’s 1,000 more than I thought would turn up...something may be stirring in south east London
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Swisdom said:

He was known for his headband above everything else

He was hardly likely to have worn it below everything else ?!?!??
  • Options

Stand outs for me tonight was prately and lapslie, prately looked like he was running the game first half and lapslie looked like he had a lot of quality on the ball.

I thought mascoll looked good too.

Ajose looked dire, I just don’t get what he brings to the table. Not particularly quick, doesn’t get into goalscoring positions and doesn’t aid the build up play.

He's absolute dogshit, strolls around with his cocky, look at me, walk, and does absolutely nothing!

If we need to get rid of anybody, he is top of the list by miles!
  • Options
    That's a brilliant goal from an often clumsy centre back!
  • Options

looked ok in all depts last night......but then again we need a scapegoat now that Fox/Lennon/Holmes (delete as appropriate) has gone.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Sage said:

I think Sarr is a problem to be solved if you can. He is a decent defender, but one that always has a mistake in him, he is very comfortable on the ball and a physical presence. I like the idea of having height through set pieces and have wondered if he could be given a role - helping the central defenders, but also the central midfield. So a freeish role in front of a back three. Maybe in a 3-1-4-1-1 with two wing backs within the 4 and Fosu given a free role behind a big lump of a striker.

He's a bit like David Luiz at Chelsea. In a flat back four the tendency of Luiz to think he was a footballer exposed his penchant to overdo things but once Conte changed things to three CBs he looked a world beater and they ended up winning the League.
    In a way, a 3/5 at the back could kind of work, it would certainly bring out more from Sarr. My only real problem would be the right side where Bauer wouldn’t exactly be comfortable in that right hand side/almost right back position when the team attacks. I’d like Solly in the team, but if we were to play a 3/5 at the back, it would have to be Marshall.

Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Marshall Pratley Forster-Caskey Page
    Fosu
    Taylor Vetokele
    Marshall would have to keep mindful of his defensive duties. One of the factors regarding formation for me is the strength of opponents. I think, especially at home, when you are playing sides that set up defensively, the extra player in a four man defence can just represent an extra pass. It is almost wasting a player. I like the idea of three at the back, where a player like Sarr could push up when circumstances allow/dictate.

Ideally, you would want an adaptable side that can interchange around a couple of formations depending on the situation. I suppose the question is, are League One players up to that? If they are, League One opponents definitely won't fancy playing against it!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    JamesSeed said:

Ward looks quite classy.

Ward looked assured against Dulwich Hamlets so interesting to hear he did well against a Premier team.
    Must be the budget that's available in this impasse if he's not signed up.
  • Options
    decent result, if a day late ((:>) .. I haven't seen any pre seasons so not in a position to judge .. so guesswork

Ward has been a decent defender around the leagues for years .. unless it's a question of money/wages, what's not to like about signing him

Marshall as a r/back .. if Valencia and Young can do it, why not ?,

Sarr .. whenever I've seen him he's done more than just OK .. has the build of a Drogba or Lukaku, is a better mover than Magennis, would be worth a try up front (he's still gonna develop into a decent defender)

Midfield .. something tells me that Dawkins is not the one for us, am I wrong?

Ince, as discussed elsewhere if he can get motivated is ideal for this league, personally I like to have a big commanding presence in midfield, nothing fancy, leave that to Fosu and Caskey

Be very interesting of course to see the line up v Norwich, presumably that will be nigh on the chosen few for Sunderland

Come on youse Addicks !!
  • Options

Scoham said:
    That’s 1,000 more than I thought would turn up...something may be stirring in south east London
    Are we boycotting or not :smiley:
  • Options
    Sage said:

I think Sarr is a problem to be solved if you can. He is a decent defender, but one that always has a mistake in him, he is very comfortable on the ball and a physical presence. I like the idea of having height through set pieces and have wondered if he could be given a role - helping the central defenders, but also the central midfield. So a freeish role in front of a back three. Maybe in a 3-1-4-1-1 with two wing backs within the 4 and Fosu given a free role behind a big lump of a striker.

He's a bit like David Luiz at Chelsea. In a flat back four the tendency of Luiz to think he was a footballer exposed his penchant to overdo things but once Conte changed things to three CBs he looked a world beater and they ended up winning the League.
    In a way, a 3/5 at the back could kind of work, it would certainly bring out more from Sarr. My only real problem would be the right side where Bauer wouldn’t exactly be comfortable in that right hand side/almost right back position when the team attacks. I’d like Solly in the team, but if we were to play a 3/5 at the back, it would have to be Marshall.

Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Fosu
    Taylor Vetokele
    I like this formation! But no room for poor Joe Aribo ?Think he is better than JFC and less injury prone than others.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

looked ok in all depts last night......but then again we need a scapegoat now that Fox/Lennon/Holmes (delete as appropriate) has gone.
    have you heard of a trusting exercise where you fall backwards and the other person is meant to grab you before you hit the floor? well lets say Sarr was the one who is meant to catch me. I take that leap of faith, well fall of faith, and Sarr whos meant to reach out and catch me ends up accidently missing me. I fall right on my arse and do my back in. not for the first time. Sarr apologises. I say you ussless berk, you know, I'm not sure i can trust you again cos you know this isent the first time you let me down. i then hobble away.

anyway the following week I get asked to go back to the trusting exercise. I refuse stating I cant trust Sarr after last week and the times before. later on that evening I get a phone call from someone I know who also takes part in the trusting exercise. he says "Sarr was brilliant. he was there, open arms, ready, every time someone stated to fall backwards. so dependable". I tell him that's good but I'm not ready to start trusting Sarr anytime soon. he says "typical, you always do this, reminds me of the time you couldn't trust Fox. you always need someone to blame. you never give anyone a fair chance." he then puts the phone down.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Moo said:

Sage said:

Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Fosu
    Taylor Vetokele
    I like this formation! But no room for poor Joe Aribo ?Think he is better than JFC and less injury prone than others.
    The fact that Aribo is less injury prone means he will get plenty of opportunities this season.
  • Options
    Big question if we don’t take Dawkins who plays on the left mid ? Have to be Karlan?
  • Options

Moo said:

Sage said:

Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Fosu
    Taylor Vetokele
    The fact that Aribo is less injury prone means he will get plenty of opportunities this season.
    With no Fosu for Sunderland I can see us lining up as:

Phillips

Marshall
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Sarr
    Page

Aribo
    Forster Caskey
    Pratley (don’t be a prat Bowyer - he has played one 45 mins..... 60 mins v Norwich and no reason he can’t start a game and play for 75 mins)

Magennis
    Taylor
  • Options
    Don’t think Mag will start. Agree about Pratley he should be fit.
  • Options
    Moo said:

Sage said:

Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Fosu
    Taylor Vetokele
    Didn’t include Aribo purely because I like Forster-Caskey and he has more finesse in his game. Pratley sitting will allow Forster-Caskey to push on and be more effective. I really like Aribo as well and his drive in his game is a real asset. Just preference really.
  • Options
    A bit like Dijksteel and Reeco last term, a bit of a culture-shock seeing so many of the U-23 squad being elevated to First-team duty - Lapslie, Moloney, Blumberg, Yao- and Karlan with a new lease of life! Had a busy first half last night checking the team-sheet to ID players, specially with JFK in the 8 shirt!!
  • Options
    Glad to hear Lapslie and Mascoll did well. Maloney also has a chance of making it.
  • Options
    Hard to judge players unless they get a run in the side. One of the hardest things for some of the younger players is to deal with the physical side of the game.