Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton vs Brighton (24/7/18)

Comments

• Options
    Vincenzo said:

Glad to hear Lapslie and Mascoll did well. Maloney also has a chance of making it.

those two just reeked of confidence and directness every time they got the ball. Important to safe guard that, as we all know what charltonising does!
  • Options
    Heard that Mascoll could be on his way to Dartford on loan
  • Options
    cafc4life said:

Maybe we should keep hold of him now. Seeing we done have much cover on the left.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Moo said:

cafc4life said:

Maybe we should keep hold of him now. Seeing we done have much cover on the left.
    Guess Sarr or Blumberg would deputise if Page gets injured
  • Options
    Here's a precedent for Sarr's goal, but I reckon Naby's actually bettered it - no lucky touch and a better finish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9eLZ8UxPTs
  • Options
    chilham said:

A bit like Dijksteel and Reeco last term, a bit of a culture-shock seeing so many of the U-23 squad being elevated to First-team duty - Lapslie, Moloney, Blumberg, Yao- and Karlan with a new lease of life! Had a busy first half last night checking the team-sheet to ID players, specially with JFK in the 8 shirt!!

JFK.gif 347.4K
  • Options

chilham said:

A bit like Dijksteel and Reeco last term, a bit of a culture-shock seeing so many of the U-23 squad being elevated to First-team duty - Lapslie, Moloney, Blumberg, Yao- and Karlan with a new lease of life! Had a busy first half last night checking the team-sheet to ID players, specially with JFK in the 8 shirt!!

oops... * JFC*
  • Options
    I thought Mascoll and Maloney looked very good !
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Here's a precedent for Sarr's goal, but I reckon Naby's actually bettered it - no lucky touch and a better finish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9eLZ8UxPTs

Defenders who come forward like that, following the WC and Maguire's rise to international fame, are very en vogue at the moment too!

Bramble was found out though, as his defending wasn't good enough
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Moo said:

cafc4life said:

Guess Sarr or Blumberg would deputise if Page gets injured
    I get Sarr may play the odd game there, but surely Mascoll is a better bet at LB then Blumberg?
  • Options
    Players can be recalled from non league clubs, that's why we send them there.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

Players can be recalled from non league clubs, that's why we send them there.

And I believe they can be loaned to non-league clubs outside of transfer windows?
  • Options

chilham said:

Ich bin ein Charltonised
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

Stand outs for me tonight was prately and lapslie, prately looked like he was running the game first half and lapslie looked like he had a lot of quality on the ball.

I thought mascoll looked good too.

Ajose looked dire, I just don’t get what he brings to the table. Not particularly quick, doesn’t get into goalscoring positions and doesn’t aid the build up play.

He's absolute dogshit, strolls around with his cocky, look at me, walk, and does absolutely nothing!

If we need to get rid of anybody, he is top of the list by miles!
    Agreed 100%.

Top post Alan.
  • Options

Moo said:

Sage said:

I think Sarr is a problem to be solved if you can. He is a decent defender, but one that always has a mistake in him, he is very comfortable on the ball and a physical presence. I like the idea of having height through set pieces and have wondered if he could be given a role - helping the central defenders, but also the central midfield. So a freeish role in front of a back three. Maybe in a 3-1-4-1-1 with two wing backs within the 4 and Fosu given a free role behind a big lump of a striker.

He's a bit like David Luiz at Chelsea. In a flat back four the tendency of Luiz to think he was a footballer exposed his penchant to overdo things but once Conte changed things to three CBs he looked a world beater and they ended up winning the League.
    In a way, a 3/5 at the back could kind of work, it would certainly bring out more from Sarr. My only real problem would be the right side where Bauer wouldn’t exactly be comfortable in that right hand side/almost right back position when the team attacks. I’d like Solly in the team, but if we were to play a 3/5 at the back, it would have to be Marshall.

Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Marshall Pratley Forster-Caskey Page
    Fosu
    Taylor Vetokele
    I like this formation! But no room for poor Joe Aribo ?Think he is better than JFC and less injury prone than others.
    The fact that Aribo is less injury prone means he will get plenty of opportunities this season.
    With no Fosu for Sunderland I can see us lining up as:

Phillips

Marshall
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Sarr
    Page

Aribo
    Forster Caskey
    Pratley (don’t be a prat Bowyer - he has played one 45 mins..... 60 mins v Norwich and no reason he can’t start a game and play for 75 mins)

Magennis
    Taylor
    Can’t see Bowyer switching to a back 5/3 given we’ve used 4-4-2 all of pre-season.
  • Options
    Moo said:

cafc4life said:

We will also need Mascoll to play LB during our storming run to the Checkatrade final
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Moo said:

Sage said:

I think Sarr is a problem to be solved if you can. He is a decent defender, but one that always has a mistake in him, he is very comfortable on the ball and a physical presence. I like the idea of having height through set pieces and have wondered if he could be given a role - helping the central defenders, but also the central midfield. So a freeish role in front of a back three. Maybe in a 3-1-4-1-1 with two wing backs within the 4 and Fosu given a free role behind a big lump of a striker.

He's a bit like David Luiz at Chelsea. In a flat back four the tendency of Luiz to think he was a footballer exposed his penchant to overdo things but once Conte changed things to three CBs he looked a world beater and they ended up winning the League.
    In a way, a 3/5 at the back could kind of work, it would certainly bring out more from Sarr. My only real problem would be the right side where Bauer wouldn’t exactly be comfortable in that right hand side/almost right back position when the team attacks. I’d like Solly in the team, but if we were to play a 3/5 at the back, it would have to be Marshall.

Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Fosu
    Taylor Vetokele
    I like this formation! But no room for poor Joe Aribo ?Think he is better than JFC and less injury prone than others.
    The fact that Aribo is less injury prone means he will get plenty of opportunities this season.

Phillips

Marshall
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Sarr
    Page

Aribo
    Forster Caskey
    Pratley (don’t be a prat Bowyer - he has played one 45 mins..... 60 mins v Norwich and no reason he can’t start a game and play for 75 mins)

Magennis
    Taylor
    Can’t see Bowyer switching to a back 5/3 given we’ve used 4-4-2 all of pre-season.
    For a tough away game like this would he go 442 do you think?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Scoham said:

Moo said:

Sage said:

Phillips
    Bauer Pearce Sarr
    Fosu
    Taylor Vetokele

Phillips

Marshall
    Bauer
    Pearce
    Sarr
    Page

Aribo
    Forster Caskey

Magennis
    Taylor
    For a tough away game like this would he go 442 do you think?
    I think he probably will. He used a flat 4-4-2 or a 4-4-2 diamond last season. I think he’s willing to accept you won’t have as much possession but it gives you more of a threat and adds the option to go more direct.

A lot the possessoon we had last season was pointless and our build up too slow. It’s already clear he wants a more balanced style than Robinson.

I always felt Robinson’s focus on possession and 4-2-3-1 only made things harder for us. He was desperate to make it work, while if 4-4-2 doesn’t get results I expect Bowyer will try something else. We need to get the best from what we have, under Roland we’ve never had the budget to build a squad around just one system.
  • Options

chilham said:

Ich bin ein Charltonised
    Haha you doughnut! :smile:

• Options

Don't get posing, lazy comments towards Ajose personally.

I thought he put in a shift for a friendly. Dropped deep, made a lot of runs that didn't receive the pass or flick. Showed good effort and commitment tbh.

Whether he will score goals is another matter.

People see what they want to see.

He had an average game. Personally thought better than hit and hope Magennis, however Grant and Taylor would be front 2 for me on opening day... Maybe Ajose could fit into a front 3?
  • Options
    Bearing in mind the team was full of kids, reserves and trialists, it was a pretty accomplished performance. There wasn’t really any bad performances and most players seem to get a mention on here for playing well/looking alright. For me, Ince, Ward, Maloney and Yao caught my eye. Of course we have a depleted squad but you wouldn’t really have thought so by last nites performance.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

Bearing in mind the team was full of kids, reserves and trialists, it was a pretty accomplished performance. There wasn’t really any bad performances and most players seem to get a mention on here for playing well/looking alright. For me, Ince, Ward, Maloney and Yao caught my eye. Of course we have a depleted squad but you wouldn’t really have thought so by last nites performance.

Surprised. Seen Yao in U23 at full back and thought he was mediocre. Now seems to be CB material. All hail improvement.
  • Options
    Yao player at right back v Brighton.
  • Options

I thought he put in a shift for a friendly. Dropped deep, made a lot of runs that didn't receive the pass or flick. Showed good effort and commitment tbh.

He 100% doesn't do what he is asked though mate, you can see the frustration on the bench
  • Options

He 100% doesn't do what he is asked though mate, you can see the frustration on the bench
    But got an assist for the equaliser...