Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lee Bowyer and Steve Gallen at Bromley Addicks 6th Sept. 7.30-9pm. (Now Members Only)

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Would like to hear Sue's comments now that Steve Gallen has confirmed Staff werent paid bonuses?
  • Options

Would like to hear Sue's comments now that Lee himself has confirmed Staff werent paid bonuses?

Steve, not Lee
  • Options
    edited September 2018

Would like to hear Sue's comments now that Steve Gallen has confirmed Staff werent paid bonuses?

To be fair, I think Mr Gallen caveated it with “if true” when talking of unpaid bonuses as I considered challenging because that almost then means the staff were fibbing (of course bunkum) but I thought it an arsey question to ask...
  • Options

LB: We need to be in the 90s. I break it down to batches of nine games where we have to win six of them or maybe five wins and a couple of draws.

So we need to win the next three on the trot to hit LB's target for the first nine games. Things will certainly be looking up if we do.
  • Options
    Gillis said:

LB: We need to be in the 90s. I break it down to batches of nine games where we have to win six of them or maybe five wins and a couple of draws.

So we need to win the next three on the trot to hit LB's target for the first nine games. Things will certainly be looking up if we do.
    Wycombe | Bradford | Plymouth ... all winnable games really
  • Options
    thanks Henry :smile:
  • Options

Any actual info from the meeting .. seeing as I was not allowed to go as a non-member unlike last years with KR.

Never found it difficult to join, not a closed club and I think it was £5 a year. Why don’t you stop whinging and just join so you don’t miss the next one?
  • Options
    Can I mention @coveredend annual standing ovation.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Can I mention @coveredend annual standing ovation.

No.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thanks for the excellent write up. It's good to see that by accident or design we somehow have a decent management team on the football side now, people who want to play football the right way and understand what Charlton is about. I never did really rate Robinson as a manager, but fair play to him, he picked good people to work with.
  • Options

Part Six

Tactics

Q: Why don't we leave someone up for corners?

LB: We do. Karlan is up but in an area where if they play it short he has the pace to get back and cover.

We do that so Karlan has two players on him which means we have a completely spare player who can attack the ball so we do leave a player up, just not on the half-way line

Q: Why don't we vary the way we play the ball out, we always pass it out and don't go long?

LB: In this division teams want you to do play it long, they want to make it physical. You'll win some but you'll lose more.

We have footballers. We have physical players but we don't want to be one of those teams. We are a footballing side, all good on the ball. We work on moving the ball in training, we're not going to go long and physical.

Q: But shouldn't we mix it up more?

We do, The opposition stop you. I want them to play it up the pitch not just lump it and get 2nd ball like Peterbrough. Lots of teams play long, get it wide and cross it. That's all they can do. We can deal with the crosses.

Q: What have you learnt from previous coaches?

LB: Had a lot of international coaches.

From Terry Venables I saw that win or lose he's just say "see you on Monday" and we'd talk about the game then. I asked him about it and he said what is going to be gained by me talking to you when your adrenalin is up, you're angry or whatever.

I thought that was good so I tried it but then at Wimbledon away last year I couldn't. I have no amber, i'm either green or red. After that game I tore into them.

So I tried the talk on Monday idea from Venables but it didnt work for me.

Q: What did you learn from Karl Robinson?

LB: I learnt you can't just play one formation

It works for him but I look at it differently. We were predictable. I analyse the other team, look at turning their strengths into weakness and exploiting their weaknesses.

We don't have a set formation. You need a plan b and a plan c.

I'm not knocking Karl, he's a good coach and I learnt a lot from him. He's done more than me, he's won promotion.

Proper loled at that
  • Options
    Thanks for the write up @Henry Irving

I'm still gutted that the sale hasn't gone through but both SG and LB come across really well from that. I know coming across well isn't enough, but it helps
  • Options
    Excellent accounts of the meeting and some interesting and encouraging content in these trying and difficult times. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    Thanks for the write up @Henry Irving
    LB and SG give you a bit of hope
  • Options
    Thanks for these comprehensive notes, @Henry Irving .

I am very impressed by the thoughtfulness of LB and SGs responses. We have to hold on to these two.
  • Options
    Thanks, some good questions and replies
  • Options
    Sounds like a very good night and really liking the way that Lee & Steve talk/think/plan. Thanks for the write up @Henry Irving

All we need is rid of Rrrro-Lun and I can follow up days like last Saturday, with my dad and nephew, with a great day at The Valley.
  • Options
    Thanks for the write up Henry. Cheered me up a bit. There is some heart left in the club after all.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Excellent, thorough reports, Mr Irving. I have printed them out for my pal, who is not online.
  • Options
    Thanks Henry. All very positive sounding, but then again the impression from these meetings is often the same. Hopefully they come through on the pitch.
  • Options
    Thanks Henry for taking the time and trouble to provide comprehensive feedback on the evening. It makes me feel (like others) that the heartbeat of the club is still there and will likely flourish when "you know who" slings his hook. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    To many write ups Henry. Boring
  • Options
    Thanks for taking the time to write up the details of the evening. Thanks
  • Options

Part five

Dugouts - Should we switch them around so you can get in the ear of the linesman?

LB said prefer to stay are they are. Closer to the 4th official who is the one who can communicate with the manager so you can get feedback from him. Ref tells him and he, 4th official tells you.

Rivals this season

LB "Not Peterbrough, they're not that good"

Sunderland, Portsmouth, Barnsley ("kept all their players but won't be as strong as Wigan or Blackburn last season") Scunthorpe.
    "we'll be up there".

Peterbrough long ball side, pump it long, win 2nd ball get it wide and cross it. They won't keep it up.

Steve Evens and the Peterbrough ref

Can't tell you what I said, no I really can't. Felt the ref just guessed, "none of them knew".

Support at Southend

SG: Fans brilliant

LB: "Fans don't realise the role they play, it makes a difference, some does that does give you an edge"

All I ask for is for the players to give 100%, I say to the players they have to work hard.

"The more (fans) support them, then the more they give. Maybe it shouldn't be that way around but it is"

Fosu sending off - was the ref close enough

"Difficult for TF not to react. I told him next time to stay down but I knew it's not easy to do. I've told him and I don't think he'll do it again"

Question: Did you think that was odd coming from you?

LB:"Souness told me off (for getting send off) and I thought "well I'm sure some of your tackles were worse".

I know because I've been there, I've been sent off (laughter from room) so I can understand.

It is early in the season and I hope LB is right about Peterboro'. At the moment their way of playing is working and they are happy to "trade blows" away from home to the extent that they have won all four of them. They also have plenty of pace and goals up front with Godden, Cummings and Dembele.
  • Options

Q: Why don't we vary the way we play the ball out, we always pass it out and don't go long?

LB: In this division teams want you to do play it long, they want to make it physical. You'll win some but you'll lose more.

We have footballers. We have physical players but we don't want to be one of those teams. We are a footballing side, all good on the ball. We work on moving the ball in training, we're not going to go long and physical.

Q: But shouldn't we mix it up more?

We do, The opposition stop you. I want them to play it up the pitch not just lump it and get 2nd ball like Peterbrough. Lots of teams play long, get it wide and cross it. That's all they can do. We can deal with the crosses.

Only at Charlton would you get a fan questioning the manager on why we're not playing the long ball!!
  • Options
    Really appreciate the write-up thanks Henry.
    Impossible for me to get to these things from Dorset on a weekday.
  • Options

Part five

Dugouts - Should we switch them around so you can get in the ear of the linesman?

LB said prefer to stay are they are. Closer to the 4th official who is the one who can communicate with the manager so you can get feedback from him. Ref tells him and he, 4th official tells you.

Rivals this season

LB "Not Peterbrough, they're not that good"

Sunderland, Portsmouth, Barnsley ("kept all their players but won't be as strong as Wigan or Blackburn last season") Scunthorpe.
    "we'll be up there".

Peterbrough long ball side, pump it long, win 2nd ball get it wide and cross it. They won't keep it up.

Steve Evens and the Peterbrough ref

Can't tell you what I said, no I really can't. Felt the ref just guessed, "none of them knew".

Support at Southend

SG: Fans brilliant

LB: "Fans don't realise the role they play, it makes a difference, some does that does give you an edge"

All I ask for is for the players to give 100%, I say to the players they have to work hard.

"The more (fans) support them, then the more they give. Maybe it shouldn't be that way around but it is"

Fosu sending off - was the ref close enough

"Difficult for TF not to react. I told him next time to stay down but I knew it's not easy to do. I've told him and I don't think he'll do it again"

Question: Did you think that was odd coming from you?

LB:"Souness told me off (for getting send off) and I thought "well I'm sure some of your tackles were worse".

I know because I've been there, I've been sent off (laughter from room) so I can understand.

It is early in the season and I hope LB is right about Peterboro'. At the moment their way of playing is working and they are happy to "trade blows" away from home to the extent that they have won all four of them. They also have plenty of pace and goals up front with Godden, Cummings and Dembele.
    Only eight points clear of us at the moment though

They didnt look good facing us and the only side they've faced higher than us are Doncaster (who are currently in 7th) and they drew

I'd wait and see what happens when they face Portsmouth | Sunderland | Barnsley before making judgement