Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Celtic Champions Already??

Comments

• Options

RB Liepzig aren't a good team so beating them doesn't count

And it was their third team....
  • Options

No funding either
  • Options

No funding either
    Indeed.....oh well saves some of them from bashing Ebbsfleet for a while.
  • Options

Shame that a good thread get derailed with mudslinging, maybe it's the way the last month has gone. Would be good to actually have a thread on the SPL which involves people who actually have an interest and watch games involving SPL teams rather than it taken another turn towards politics and other stuff. Living up here makes me realise, both sets of supporters have a stupid element who attached themselves to British/Irish politics when they are really clueless and sheep.

On to the Football, looks like Rodgers through maybe a bit of luck has stumbled onto a formula which has helped completely transfer their form, Scott Brown getting injured meant Mcgregor was pushed back and in turn has improved both his form and Rogic who is absolutely key, also the emergence of Ryan Christie due to injury has been key. On the European note, despite it apparently being Leipzegs reserves they still fielded a right back who probably cost more than Celtic's starting 11. Rangers 2 weeks ago played against Spartak who rested loads of players but their team they fielded was still littered with international players. . Aberdeen took Burnley to Extra time despite Burnley's squad costing about 50+ Million more.This is what I don't think people understand what Celtic, Rangers and the other teams in the SPL have to deal with, with regards to spending The SPL teams are punching massively over their weight when competing in Europe when it comes to spending. There maybe lack of quality at times but you can get some entertaining games. It annoys me when I hear people constantly criticise the standard without actually watching any games, plus not sure too many people should be throwing stones from our League one house.

Well said Sir.

The money thing also impacts within the Scottish Premiership, with Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen having far bigger gates than the rest of the league. Some of those SPL teams (Hamilton, Livingston) are surviving on gates of 2,000. Kilmarnock average gates of about 4,500 and Motherwell around 3,000.

To put that in perspective, Rangers have 48,000 season ticket holders.

The TV rights for Scottish football are currently up for grabs. Because of the heightened status / interest in the Scottish league there is talk of the rights doubling to £40 million a season - an absolute fraction of the money available in England.

The Academy system is key in Scotland. Hearts had something like eight 16 / 17 year olds in their match day 18 for their last game of the season at Kilmarnock in May. The majority of Scottish clubs just don't have the money to go out and buy players, with most relying on loans, free transfers and what is coming through their Academy.

It was refreshing last year that the Scottish Youth Cup Final at U20 level was between Hibs and Aberdeen. Remarkably, with such limited resources, Hamilton's U17' s went unbeaten in winning their league and are now representing Scotland in the UEFA Youth U19 cup. They beat Basel on penalties a few weeks ago to progress into the second round.

I have only lived in Scotland for three years, but have noticed big improvements the Scottish game in that time.

Hibs v Aberdeen should be a cracker tonight.
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

Shame that a good thread get derailed with mudslinging, maybe it's the way the last month has gone. Would be good to actually have a thread on the SPL which involves people who actually have an interest and watch games involving SPL teams rather than it taken another turn towards politics and other stuff. Living up here makes me realise, both sets of supporters have a stupid element who attached themselves to British/Irish politics when they are really clueless and sheep.

On to the Football, looks like Rodgers through maybe a bit of luck has stumbled onto a formula which has helped completely transfer their form, Scott Brown getting injured meant Mcgregor was pushed back and in turn has improved both his form and Rogic who is absolutely key, also the emergence of Ryan Christie due to injury has been key. On the European note, despite it apparently being Leipzegs reserves they still fielded a right back who probably cost more than Celtic's starting 11. Rangers 2 weeks ago played against Spartak who rested loads of players but their team they fielded was still littered with international players. . Aberdeen took Burnley to Extra time despite Burnley's squad costing about 50+ Million more.This is what I don't think people understand what Celtic, Rangers and the other teams in the SPL have to deal with, with regards to spending The SPL teams are punching massively over their weight when competing in Europe when it comes to spending. There maybe lack of quality at times but you can get some entertaining games. It annoys me when I hear people constantly criticise the standard without actually watching any games, plus not sure too many people should be throwing stones from our League one house.

Well said Sir.

The money thing also impacts within the Scottish Premiership, with Celtic, Rangers, Hibs, Hearts and Aberdeen having far bigger gates than the rest of the league. Some of those SPL teams (Hamilton, Livingston) are surviving on gates of 2,000. Kilmarnock average gates of about 4,500 and Motherwell around 3,000.

To put that in perspective, Rangers have 48,000 season ticket holders.

The TV rights for Scottish football are currently up for grabs. Because of the heightened status / interest in the Scottish league there is talk of the rights doubling to £40 million a season - an absolute fraction of the money available in England.

The Academy system is key in Scotland. Hearts had something like eight 16 / 17 year olds in their match day 18 for their last game of the season at Kilmarnock in May. The majority of Scottish clubs just don't have the money to go out and buy players, with most relying on loans, free transfers and what is coming through their Academy.

It was refreshing last year that the Scottish Youth Cup Final at U20 level was between Hibs and Aberdeen. Remarkably, with such limited resources, Hamilton's U17' s went unbeaten in winning their league and are now representing Scotland in the UEFA Youth U19 cup. They beat Basel on penalties a few weeks ago to progress into the second round.

I have only lived in Scotland for three years, but have noticed big improvements the Scottish game in that time.

Hibs v Aberdeen should be a cracker tonight.
    Your knowledge is a lot greater than myself, I have t admit to just watching games on the tele and of course you're spot on with regards to the support to which I actually throw that back at my Celtic/Rangers supporting friends, they of course complain about the lack of money but at same time love how well supported there teams are, that of course will have an impact on the league considering they will both have supporters coaches coming from all over Scotland which is effectively taking support away from other clubs meaning the league is less competitive and in turn less attractive to the TV companies. Of course this will be the same with all countries but the low population means the really really low crowds for the likes of Motherwell etc. It could be a cracker with Hibs Aberdeen, torn between that and the Sheffield Derby but might have the Scottish game on the laptop and English on tele.
  • Options

I've been posting online about Scottish football for circa 20 years and have never seen a thread which hasn't descended into mudslinging.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Spot on. Really is mental to think that two clubs the size of Rangers and Celtic (and they are both HUGE clubs) will generally struggle to compete financially with bang average Championship sides.

Even crazier, still, when you consider that you've got teams like Derby willing and able to splash out six or seven million on players like Martyn Waghorn - a guy whose strike-rate in the SPL was roughly 1 goal every 5 appearances. Mind-boggling. He's on more money at Derby than the highest paid player in Scotland. Difficult to get your head around.
  • Options

Spot on. Really is mental to think that two clubs the size of Rangers and Celtic (and they are both HUGE clubs) will generally struggle to compete financially with bang average Championship sides.

Even crazier, still, when you consider that you've got teams like Derby willing and able to splash out six or seven million on players like Martyn Waghorn - a guy whose strike-rate in the SPL was roughly 1 goal every 5 appearances. Mind-boggling. He's on more money at Derby than the highest paid player in Scotland. Difficult to get your head around.
    Absolutely and even more crazy, Adam Rooney leaving Aberdeen for Salford for financial reasons
  • Options
    DOC64 said:

Absolutely and even more crazy, Adam Rooney leaving Aberdeen for Salford for financial reasons
    Sure i read that he was on around 2-2.5k a week at Aberdeen and Salford reportedly doubled it, as well as offering a 3 year deal. No brainer for Rooney really.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

• Options
    Kilmarnock on a roll.

Think they will overtake Hearts soon.
  • Options

Kilmarnock on a roll.

I think Celtic will too.
  • Options

Kilmarnock on a roll.

I think Celtic will too.
    Tough one tomorrow against Livi!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Chaz Hill said:

Kilmarnock on a roll.

I think Celtic will too.
    Tough one tomorrow against Livi!
    Think they'll be fine as Livingston's form has dipped. Celtic have also been moving the ball a lot quicker recently.

That pitch is a great leveller though.
  • Options

Will be happy with an away point at Livingston

happy
  • Options
    How Hamilton Accies survive in that league is a miracle, all done on a budget a Sunday team on Hackney Marshes would struggle with.
  • Options
    Livingston are pretty similar. Their record signing is £60k, which is what makes Henry Irving's attempt at wind ups so hilarious. I probably know more Celtic fans north of the border than Rangers and they aren't happy with a point!
  • Options

Livingston are pretty similar. Their record signing is £60k, which is what makes Henry Irving's attempt at wind ups so hilarious. I probably know more Celtic fans north of the border than Rangers and they aren't happy with a point!

You really don't have either a sense of irony or a sense of humour do you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Even though I said it was hilarious? :lol:

Rangers currently winning 6-1. One more goal to have equal goal difference with Celtic.
  • Options

7-1. :smile:

Recovered well from their last trip from Russia... Must have come back a quicker route.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Great result for Rangers yesterday, as the above stated especially after they travelled back. Their record after the European games is very very good. I do question whether they might suffer later on in the season with the amount of games played and a squad not as big as Celtic's. Celtic struggled to create clear cut chances against Livingston.
  • Options
    I still stick to my prediction of Celtic winning it by 10 points.
  • Options
    Sky have bought all the rights to the SPL from 2020-21. Lots of complaints about the coverage the SPL gets on sky compared to BT but at the end of the day Sky have shown their cards in Money if not coverage quality. Will miss the Panel on BT though as they do have decent chemistry and I do feel they are a bit more passionate.
  • Options

Sky have bought all the rights to the SPL from 2020-21. Lots of complaints about the coverage the SPL gets on sky compared to BT but at the end of the day Sky have shown their cards in Money if not coverage quality. Will miss the Panel on BT though as they do have decent chemistry and I do feel they are a bit more passionate.

Shame that doesn't cover the other divisions up there. Love to see Cowdenbeath on it.
  • Options

Shame that doesn't cover the other divisions up there. Love to see Cowdenbeath on it.
    Not sure there's much of a tv audience for a part time Scottish league 2 side who get crowds of 300.
    Yes but I would love it and it would make a nice change.
  • Options
    Great win for Celtic tonight!!!

Also a fantastic performance from Rangers who were unjustly reduced to 10 men before half time.

Scottish football eh....