Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CHARLTON 2 PLYMOUTH 1 - 22/09/18 - POST MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options
    With you entirely re Taylor's theatrics, @Addick05. So much to enjoy yesterday (via ifollow) but he had me shouting and swearing at times.
  • Options

A special mention for German Addicks. They had planned to attend but the need to be home for Sunday morning and the absence of suitable flights meant they had to cancel. To my great surprise two of the guys suddenly turned up out of the blue. They had reconsidered, and decided to drive, leaving home at 04.00 and getting back in the early hours. Their deserved reward was a fine game and a win. (The driving meant no drinking - the only time I've seen them without a glass!!). Heroes.

It was such a shame that their "Surprise ! Surprise!" entry into Crossbars pre match was scuppered by an over zealous steward.

But what great supporters they are ! It's a pleasure to know them.

I completely understand their desire to pull out all the stops in order to watch the exciting performances our lads are putting in at the moment.

We shall miss both the upcoming Coventry & Barnsley matches and with the Walsall game looking likely to be postponed, have made the decision to make the midweek trip to Scunthorpe next week.

That's if there are any tickets left.....
  • Options

Blucher said:

An entertaining and high quality game against opponents who belied their league position.

I thought we played some excellent football in the first half, with intricate combination play repeatedly stretching Plymouth. The final ball was not quite right on a number of occasions but, compared to the last two seasons under Slade and Robinson, the attacking play was at times scintillating. The penalty miss just before half time changed the dynamic in the second half and encouraged some hugely irritating time wasting from their keeper (as to which, it was good to see Jamie Ward continually in the referee's ear about that, eventually encouraging the ref to issuing the goalie with a pre-booking warning. A small example of the benefit of having experience in the side).

Probably amazed that they were still on level terms and perhaps believing it could finally be their day, Plymouth gave it a good go in the second half. I thought they had the better of the game for a spell before we reasserted ourselves and Reeves, who might have been a candidate for replacement by George Lapslie, took control of the game and started eviscerating Plymouth with his passing range and vision. Given the havoc he was wreaking towards the end, I was surprised that the opponents gave him so much room but I think that was a reflection of two factors: first, his ability to find pockets of space and, secondly, fatigue on the part of their players, especially some of their big old, muscle-bound units. We kept moving the ball quickly and eventually the pressure told for a thoroughly deserved three points.

Notwithstanding the amount of possession we enjoyed and our number of corners and attempts on goal, we still managed to look vulnerable at the back. It's not easy to fathom why. Certainly Patrick Bauer is a very accomplished defender and his partnership with Pearce is as good as any in the division, although I thought that Naby Sarr did pretty well overall. I suspect that part of the answer may be a shortage of defensive protection in front of the back four as a result of playing a very attacking formation, with Ward and Reeves playing offensive roles and Joe Aribo being forced to sit deeper than usual with Josh Cullen. Plenty to work on, although Bowyer and Jacko doubtless figured (correctly) that the benefits of the system outweighed the risks.

In addition to Reeves, Aribo had a brilliant first half (one amazing run from the edge of his own area) and when he faded in the second, his teammates took up the slack. Ward was also very good until he understandably tired near the end - a clever and streetwise player with nous, who I think will do well for us. I was also very impressed again with Lyle Taylor, who held the ball up well and repeatedly spun away from defenders. What I particularly liked was his refusal to let the penalty miss affect him - good strikers just get on with it and believe they'll put the next chance away.

A late winner is always hard to top and the fact that the ref only added on 3 minutes, despite the stoppages and the repeated time wasting was pure poetic justice.

I love Blucher's reports, because he and I always watch the same game & he nails it every time.
    Echo this too, agree entirely and very well written that tells it exactly as it was in my eyes also.
  • Options
    Blucher said:

An entertaining and high quality game against opponents who belied their league position.

I thought we played some excellent football in the first half, with intricate combination play repeatedly stretching Plymouth. The final ball was not quite right on a number of occasions but, compared to the last two seasons under Slade and Robinson, the attacking play was at times scintillating. The penalty miss just before half time changed the dynamic in the second half and encouraged some hugely irritating time wasting from their keeper (as to which, it was good to see Jamie Ward continually in the referee's ear about that, eventually encouraging the ref to issuing the goalie with a pre-booking warning. A small example of the benefit of having experience in the side).

Probably amazed that they were still on level terms and perhaps believing it could finally be their day, Plymouth gave it a good go in the second half. I thought they had the better of the game for a spell before we reasserted ourselves and Reeves, who might have been a candidate for replacement by George Lapslie, took control of the game and started eviscerating Plymouth with his passing range and vision. Given the havoc he was wreaking towards the end, I was surprised that the opponents gave him so much room but I think that was a reflection of two factors: first, his ability to find pockets of space and, secondly, fatigue on the part of their players, especially some of their big old, muscle-bound units. We kept moving the ball quickly and eventually the pressure told for a thoroughly deserved three points.

Notwithstanding the amount of possession we enjoyed and our number of corners and attempts on goal, we still managed to look vulnerable at the back. It's not easy to fathom why. Certainly Patrick Bauer is a very accomplished defender and his partnership with Pearce is as good as any in the division, although I thought that Naby Sarr did pretty well overall. I suspect that part of the answer may be a shortage of defensive protection in front of the back four as a result of playing a very attacking formation, with Ward and Reeves playing offensive roles and Joe Aribo being forced to sit deeper than usual with Josh Cullen. Plenty to work on, although Bowyer and Jacko doubtless figured (correctly) that the benefits of the system outweighed the risks.

In addition to Reeves, Aribo had a brilliant first half (one amazing run from the edge of his own area) and when he faded in the second, his teammates took up the slack. Ward was also very good until he understandably tired near the end - a clever and streetwise player with nous, who I think will do well for us. I was also very impressed again with Lyle Taylor, who held the ball up well and repeatedly spun away from defenders. What I particularly liked was his refusal to let the penalty miss affect him - good strikers just get on with it and believe they'll put the next chance away.

A late winner is always hard to top and the fact that the ref only added on 3 minutes, despite the stoppages and the repeated time wasting was pure poetic justice.

With our injury problems, I don't think we had much choice. If fit, maybe we would have played Bauer at the back with Bielik as a defensive shield. With Pratley doing the hassling in midfield. Instead we were missing all 3, and ended up with a passing midfield, lacking some solidity. I'm not sure Bowyer trusts Djiksteel in midfield.
  • Options
    Was going to post sat night but got caught up with some theatrical messages from a mad woman on an online dating site....so will keep if brief:

Some great attacking play from the off & after 5 mins turned to Golfie Jnr & said "we're all over 'em....got this in the bag already".....and then they scored. The rest is history.

I will say that I thought that was one of the best attacking displays I've seen for a long time. Gone was the tippy tappy passing we saw from the Robinson side this time last year. No endless backwards & sideways passing going nowhere. Instead was crisp, neat passing to players in space.....players then moved forward with the ball & found their team mates. There was urgency & a threat to attack. Dangerous crossess (Page down the left & Cullen from our many corners) and many shots in & around the box. The stats say it all. On another day we could have had 5 or 6. Only the woodwork, luck & desperate defending kept the scoreline respectable.

Honourable mentions go to ;

Aribo. Starting to resemble that old stager Morts. His languid running & body shimmies are a joy to watch. That run in the 1st half that nearly ended with a goal was worth the entrance fee in itself.

Ward. Just shows what experience gives you. worth 5 times a Kaikai or a Dodoo. The feint & nutmeg in front of the East Stand was worth the price of Golfie Jnrs Season ticket.

Reeves. As you all know he is not my favourite player but even I have to admit he had a great game. Such a shame his curling shot in the first half didnt go in. Worked endlessly & never afraid to pass or shoot when the oportunity arose.

Taylor. Holds the ball up so well. Either off his chest or to his feet. Shields it, shrugs the defender off & then lays it off to a willing team mate. Just wish he looked more confident with his pens.

Grant. Wasted 3 glorious opportunities....2 in the 2nd half when he should have shot instead of passing & should have shot earlier when he was clean through. But then he scored 2 & won us the match & you cant say fairer than that.

Sarr. I think he gets badly done by on here. Yes he may make the odd mistake & very nearly took out their player on the half way line, but you show me a player who doesnt make a mistake & I'll show you a player who doesnt give 100%. Oh......and his passing is mustard.

LB. I was highly critical at the start of August.....not just at the lack of signings but with LB & his "will be top 2" musings. I have no idea what Gallen & LB have said to Prately, Cullen, Ward & Beliek or if any of them saw LB play in his pomp, but my god they are some if the best signings a League 1 team could wish for & all should be playing in at least the Championship.

I'm not sure we are good enough for automatic promotion but a top 6 should surely be obtainable.....and this season we have strikers who know where the goal is.
  • Options
    Still reckon moving Sarr forward to play in (or just behind) midfield is worth trying. there's (even) a lot more to him than a defender (which he's quite ordinary as), and he can shift the balance of play forward with his physical presence passes and runs forward.
  • Options

Still reckon moving Sarr forward to play in (or just behind) midfield is worth trying. there's (even) a lot more to him than a defender (which he's quite ordinary as), and he can shift the balance of play forward with his physical presence passes and runs forward.

Cant do it whilst we are missing BFG as we need Sarr as CB.

When BFG is fit if we moved Sarr to play just behind Mid as a DCM who do you take out of the starting lineup for him
  • Options

Davo55 said:

Also watched on iFollow.

Some great, slick passing and interplay especially in the first half. Deserved the win although Plymouth looked anything but a team that is bottom of the league. Tough tackling, high energy and quite skilful going forward. Carey in particular is a very good player and I would love us to go in for him if possible - he could do well in the Championship even, which is where I hope we'll be (Roland free) next season.

I don't get the bitching about Naby Sarr on the match thread. He has cut out the silly mistakes, gave a dependable defensive display and passes the ball out of defence better than any of our other defenders. Time to cut him some slack.

Aribo was especially good in the first half but he tired badly in the second and was nowhere near as effective. I thought Lapslie might have come on to replace him to give some energy to the midfield, but you can never argue too much with four wins on the bounce.

Agree about Sarr. Was my first game of the season and the first time I had seen him play a full 90 minutes. Although I had seen comments that he is prone to mistakes, I only recall one today in the first half where he dived in for tackle he was never going to make near the centre circle and Plymouth broke away. On the plus side I thought his passing was excellent and if he gets a decent run of games in Bauer's absence in a team that is doing well, it could give him a lot of confidence.

More than just that one mistake. Lost possession again in a similar position a few minutes later and gave the ball away just outside the box twice with poor clearances that went to a Plymouth player.

He did some good stuff too, when forwards give him space he can pick out some good passes, he was more aggressive and should have had a penalty but he needs to cut out those sort of mistakes.
    Pearce also made mistakes (as did other players). Overall Sarr had a good game.
  • Options

When BFG is fit if we moved Sarr to play just behind Mid as a DCM who do you take out of the starting lineup for him
    Ward..? Or play 5 at the back Or diamond midfield..?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Thought the 3 minutes extra time was hilarious,can you imagine the crowd reaction had we not been winning,as previously stated poetic justice.
  • Options

Thought the 3 minutes extra time was hilarious,can you imagine the crowd reaction had we not been winning,as previously stated poetic justice.

Yeah, what was that all about? There was one break in play alone that was almost that time. Half the Plymouth team went off the pitch!
  • Options
    I actually thought that 3mins was about right and called it before we got the winner as knew we were fast running out of time - There were only two subs in the whole of the second half, usually there will be about five minutes for six subs
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    The long break for injury/ Plymouth having a tea break, all the time wasting and then substitutions fully expected 5/6 minutes. Delighted when they put up 3 and a certain amount of justice.
  • Options

I don't think you take out Ward for Sarr unless it's a gritty away game tbh, and we should be looking to beat everyone in this league

Sarr as a footballer should walk into this team - the problem is that he isn't first choice in any position. Nonetheless, with Bauer injured he should get a run in the side. At CB I'd have him ahead of Bielik still - and it would be so cruel to drop him again having done very little wrong again. Remember, Bielik is 18/19. He can be first reserve in several positions and play in a back 3 when required. I expect Bowyer to show faith in the players who are doing well.

• Options
    edited September 2018

Ward (interchanging with Reeves) basically played behind Taylor and Grant... You cant ever expect Sarr to replace him in the Diamond - I think if he was to step into Midfield for anyone from Saturday (If called upon) it would have to be where Cullen played
  • Options
    Leuth said:

I don't think you take out Ward for Sarr unless it's a gritty away game tbh, and we should be looking to beat everyone in this league

Sarr as a footballer should walk into this team - the problem is that he isn't first choice in any position. Nonetheless, with Bauer injured he should get a run in the side. At CB I'd have him ahead of Bielik still - and it would be so cruel to drop him again having done very little wrong again. Remember, Bielik is 18/19. He can be first reserve in several positions and play in a back 3 when required. I expect Bowyer to show faith in the players who are doing well.

Fair point.

Still, I think it's a shame not to exploit his ability to drive forward.
    I agree about him not replacing a midfielder but when all are fit why not try 5,3,2 with him and Bielik in front of back 3. Both are creative players who can also win the ball...
  • Options

Leuth said:

Fair point.

I agree about him not replacing a midfielder but when all are fit why not try 5,3,2 with him and Bielik in front of back 3. Both are creative players who can also win the ball...
    If him and Bielik are in front of the back 3, who's in the back 3?

Cullen, Aribo, Reeves, Ward, Clarke. Hell, Pratley (although I think/hope he won't feature so much). How many midfield positions are available to fit that lot in - and that's before we throw in Bielik or Sarr. All of them can drive forward and win the ball, and all of them have played midfield before. There's simply no need to play Sarr there. It's far likelier we'll see him up front than in midfield.

It is weird how it's taken Roland to stop caring at *all* for us to have somehow lucked out on a big and versatile squad
  • Options
    Oh and Fosu! Hell, Marshall! Lapslie! My word
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Leuth said:

Remember, Bielik is 18/19.

He was 2 seasons ago. :smile:

• Options

Leuth said:

Fair point.

The issue with that is if you play Sarr and Bielik infront of the back 3 A-Who is the 3rd CB along with Pearce and BFG and B-means you can only have 1 of Aribo,Reeves,Cullen,Pratley, Ward and Clarke starting
  • Options
    Great minds eh Paulie
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Great minds eh Paulie

Haha sorry @Leuth didnt see your post lol
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Fair point.

Cullen, Aribo, Reeves, Ward, Clarke. Hell, Pratley (although I think/hope he won't feature so much). How many midfield positions are available to fit that lot in - and that's before we throw in Bielik or Sarr. All of them can drive forward and win the ball, and all of them have played midfield before. There's simply no need to play Sarr there. It's far likelier we'll see him up front than in midfield.

It is weird how it's taken Roland to stop caring at *all* for us to have somehow lucked out on a big and versatile squad
    I shelve my plan (crowded up there...)
  • Options

Ward (interchanging with Reeves) basically played behind Taylor and Grant... You cant ever expect Sarr to replace him in the Diamond - I think if he was to step into Midfield for anyone from Saturday (If called upon) it would have to be where Cullen played
    And that ain't happening !
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Fair point.

Stop caring = stop intefering.
  • Options
    edited September 2018

And that ain't happening !
    Nope yet its the one area where I refuse to get carried away - I'll be surprised if we have all our Midfielders fit for the whole season so dont think Bowyer will have a selection headache in that part of the team as often as we'd like

My issue over the summer though was the fact we had no creativity and the fact we've got Fosu | Clarke to return with Ward | Cullen | Reeves in the team means that our issue in that regard should now be resolved.

Not to mention we need to get to February with Ward | Grant | Aribo still at the club
  • Options

Leuth said:

Leuth said:

Fair point.

Stop caring = stop intefering.
    Maybe this is how this is all redeemed (to some extent). Absentee owner who grudgingly does what Bowyer asks (short of actually spending a transfer fee) until the takeover