Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

CHARLTON 2 PLYMOUTH 1 - 22/09/18 - POST MATCH THREAD

Comments

• Options

Still reckon moving Sarr forward to play in (or just behind) midfield is worth trying. there's (even) a lot more to him than a defender (which he's quite ordinary as), and he can shift the balance of play forward with his physical presence passes and runs forward.

Cant do it whilst we are missing BFG as we need Sarr as CB.

When BFG is fit if we moved Sarr to play just behind Mid as a DCM who do you take out of the starting lineup for him
    Ward..? Or play 5 at the back Or diamond midfield..?
    Ward (interchanging with Reeves) basically played behind Taylor and Grant... You cant ever expect Sarr to replace him in the Diamond - I think if he was to step into Midfield for anyone from Saturday (If called upon) it would have to be where Cullen played
    And that ain't happening !
    Nope yet its the one area where I refuse to get carried away - I'll be surprised if we have all our Midfielders fit for the whole season so dont think Bowyer will have a selection headache in that part of the team as often as we'd like

My issue over the summer though was the fact we had no creativity and the fact we've got Fosu | Clarke to return with Ward | Cullen | Reeves in the team means that our issue in that regard should now be resolved.

Not to mention we need to get to February with Ward | Grant | Aribo still at the club
    His got one Saturday will he bring fosu straight back into the team
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Still reckon moving Sarr forward to play in (or just behind) midfield is worth trying. there's (even) a lot more to him than a defender (which he's quite ordinary as), and he can shift the balance of play forward with his physical presence passes and runs forward.

When BFG is fit if we moved Sarr to play just behind Mid as a DCM who do you take out of the starting lineup for him
    Ward (interchanging with Reeves) basically played behind Taylor and Grant... You cant ever expect Sarr to replace him in the Diamond - I think if he was to step into Midfield for anyone from Saturday (If called upon) it would have to be where Cullen played
    Nope yet its the one area where I refuse to get carried away - I'll be surprised if we have all our Midfielders fit for the whole season so dont think Bowyer will have a selection headache in that part of the team as often as we'd like

My issue over the summer though was the fact we had no creativity and the fact we've got Fosu | Clarke to return with Ward | Cullen | Reeves in the team means that our issue in that regard should now be resolved.

Not to mention we need to get to February with Ward | Grant | Aribo still at the club
    There is a long time between now and Saturday and this is Charlton we are talking about, probably lose Cullen and Aribo in the week
  • Options

clb74 said:

There is a long time between now and Saturday and this is Charlton we are talking about, probably lose Cullen and Aribo in the week
    Fosu and lapsie in then
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

clb74 said:

No, he won't. Everyone playing well individually and as a team, so keep with it. You can't dream of a better "impact sub" to throw at tiring defencesthan Fosu at this level.
    Really looking forward to it aribo run his socks off 1st half can't wait to see fosu come on after 60mins or vice versa
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    Didnt Bowyer say that Bielik could have been risked against Plymouth but was reluctant to do so?

Might even have him back against Luton so can potentially rest Page for a game (go three at the back or put Sarr at LB)

With Fosu he has to sit on the bench for a game or two I think (1) He was daft to get himself sent off (2) He's got to prove he deserves a place by playing well in the first place, something he's not done so will have to do it from the bench

As Bowyer said after the Northampton game though "Their boss must have wept when he saw us putting on Mavididi and Kaikai", well if opponents are scared of us putting those two on they should be even more scared if we can swap Ward for Fosu for example!!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    It was mighty close. Golfie Jnr for a split second thought it had gone in because it rolled around behind the goal, rippling the back of the net. He let out a big "wow !!" and said his heart almost stopped. From my angle in the East I could see it went wide, but it was very close. Small margins.
  • Options

Blucher said:

An entertaining and high quality game against opponents who belied their league position.

I thought we played some excellent football in the first half, with intricate combination play repeatedly stretching Plymouth. The final ball was not quite right on a number of occasions but, compared to the last two seasons under Slade and Robinson, the attacking play was at times scintillating. The penalty miss just before half time changed the dynamic in the second half and encouraged some hugely irritating time wasting from their keeper (as to which, it was good to see Jamie Ward continually in the referee's ear about that, eventually encouraging the ref to issuing the goalie with a pre-booking warning. A small example of the benefit of having experience in the side).

Probably amazed that they were still on level terms and perhaps believing it could finally be their day, Plymouth gave it a good go in the second half. I thought they had the better of the game for a spell before we reasserted ourselves and Reeves, who might have been a candidate for replacement by George Lapslie, took control of the game and started eviscerating Plymouth with his passing range and vision. Given the havoc he was wreaking towards the end, I was surprised that the opponents gave him so much room but I think that was a reflection of two factors: first, his ability to find pockets of space and, secondly, fatigue on the part of their players, especially some of their big old, muscle-bound units. We kept moving the ball quickly and eventually the pressure told for a thoroughly deserved three points.

Notwithstanding the amount of possession we enjoyed and our number of corners and attempts on goal, we still managed to look vulnerable at the back. It's not easy to fathom why. Certainly Patrick Bauer is a very accomplished defender and his partnership with Pearce is as good as any in the division, although I thought that Naby Sarr did pretty well overall. I suspect that part of the answer may be a shortage of defensive protection in front of the back four as a result of playing a very attacking formation, with Ward and Reeves playing offensive roles and Joe Aribo being forced to sit deeper than usual with Josh Cullen. Plenty to work on, although Bowyer and Jacko doubtless figured (correctly) that the benefits of the system outweighed the risks.

In addition to Reeves, Aribo had a brilliant first half (one amazing run from the edge of his own area) and when he faded in the second, his teammates took up the slack. Ward was also very good until he understandably tired near the end - a clever and streetwise player with nous, who I think will do well for us. I was also very impressed again with Lyle Taylor, who held the ball up well and repeatedly spun away from defenders. What I particularly liked was his refusal to let the penalty miss affect him - good strikers just get on with it and believe they'll put the next chance away.

A late winner is always hard to top and the fact that the ref only added on 3 minutes, despite the stoppages and the repeated time wasting was pure poetic justice.

With our injury problems, I don't think we had much choice. If fit, maybe we would have played Bauer at the back with Bielik as a defensive shield. With Pratley doing the hassling in midfield. Instead we were missing all 3, and ended up with a passing midfield, lacking some solidity. I'm not sure Bowyer trusts Djiksteel in midfield.
    I agree. Given the injuries, the only realistic alternative to buttress the midfield in terms of closing the space and making us a little more solid would have been the inclusion of George Lapslie. In the event, retaining the formation deployed at Bradford was very successful in creating opportunities.

I would like to see Djiksteel given a chance in central midfield at some stage but, as you say, Lee Bowyer doesn’t seem to fancy him there and he and Jacko see the lad in training every day. He’s probably also only just got up to speed after missing pre-season with pneumonia.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charlton Athletic Community Trust

Verified account

@CAFCTrust
    5h5 hours ago
    More
    Thank you to Darren Pratley who presented two of our disability teams with their recent trophies at The Valley on Saturday! #CACTWeek #cafc

• Options
    Some lily-livered, bleeding-heart, hand-wringing, snowflakes, who comment on this forum, complain that my critique of Charlton performances can be excessively harsh. While I struggle to begin to comprehend these interpretations, I am currently recovering from an injurious blunt trauma to my skull and will seek to highlight only positive aspects of Charlton's performance against the Pilgrims, thus:
    21 Steer entirely untroubled & his distribution is good
    20 Solly dependable and reads the game well
    6 Pearce coped well enough with his opponents and colleagues
    23 Sarr is very tall and strongly built
    3 Page sustained 90+ minutes without apparent injury
    24 Cullen effective in an unglamourous role, he's the best in that position so far this season
    17 Aribo tremendous effort first half
    16 Ward only needed a sliver of good luck and he would have single handedly won the match
    12 Reeves a couple of useful corners and a quick cross
    18 Ahearne-Grant repeatedly in the right place at the right time, could have had a hat-trick at least
    9 Taylor determinedly effective on any other day woulda scored several, booking was preposterous
    Ref: D Whitestone probably unbiased

Vetokele (at 81 minutes) got the crucial assist

Normal service may be resumed if a) my recovery sees me fully restored to my old self; or b) I get a matching lump on the other side of my head that knocks the sense back in
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Was it Igor getting the assist for Karlan's 2nd goal?

Pearcey got the assist for the 1st goal.

deffo Igor's assist
  • Options

Some lily-livered, bleeding-heart, hand-wringing, snowflakes, who comment on this forum, complain that my critique of Charlton performances can be excessively harsh. While I struggle to begin to comprehend these interpretations, I am currently recovering from an injurious blunt trauma to my skull and will seek to highlight only positive aspects of Charlton's performance against the Pilgrims, thus:
    24 Cullen effective in an unglamourous role, he's the best in that position so far this season
    16 Ward only needed a sliver of good luck and he would have single handedly won the match
    18 Ahearne-Grant repeatedly in the right place at the right time, could have had a hat-trick at least
    9 Taylor determinedly effective on any other day woulda scored several, booking was preposterous

Normal service may be resumed if a) my recovery sees me fully restored to my old self; or b) I get a matching lump on the other side of my head that knocks the sense back in

That wasn't too hard, was it? :smiley:
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

clb74 said:

No, he won't. Everyone playing well individually and as a team, so keep with it. You can't dream of a better "impact sub" to throw at tiring defencesthan Fosu at this level.
    With one eye closed: Fosu's value as an impact sub would indeed be significant but his contribution starting a game will be something Reeves couldn't hope to emulate. They're not in the same league. Fosu has to start in place of Reeves, if fit.
  • Options

thenewbie said:

clb74 said:

With one eye closed: Fosu's value as an impact sub would indeed be significant but his contribution starting a game will be something Reeves couldn't hope to emulate. They're not in the same league. Fosu has to start in place of Reeves, if fit.
    He is not match fit so very likely won’t start against Luton. Quite rightly in my opinion. He has to earn a start first.
  • Options

Now, that's so much better, isn't it. The therapy appears to be working :wink:
  • Options

thenewbie said:

clb74 said:

Can’t see Fosu playing as one the middle two in a diamond midfield.

If he does play in that formation it’ll be in Ward’s position, or maybe up front if ever needed there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

They're both very valid points, especially the former, but it is another option for LB to consider if the midfield gets ravaged by injuries or suspensions.
  • Options

Was going to post sat night but got caught up with some theatrical messages from a mad woman on an online dating site....so will keep if brief:

Some great attacking play from the off & after 5 mins turned to Golfie Jnr & said "we're all over 'em....got this in the bag already".....and then they scored. The rest is history.

I will say that I thought that was one of the best attacking displays I've seen for a long time. Gone was the tippy tappy passing we saw from the Robinson side this time last year. No endless backwards & sideways passing going nowhere. Instead was crisp, neat passing to players in space.....players then moved forward with the ball & found their team mates. There was urgency & a threat to attack. Dangerous crossess (Page down the left & Cullen from our many corners) and many shots in & around the box. The stats say it all. On another day we could have had 5 or 6. Only the woodwork, luck & desperate defending kept the scoreline respectable.

Honourable mentions go to ;

Aribo. Starting to resemble that old stager Morts. His languid running & body shimmies are a joy to watch. That run in the 1st half that nearly ended with a goal was worth the entrance fee in itself.

Ward. Just shows what experience gives you. worth 5 times a Kaikai or a Dodoo. The feint & nutmeg in front of the East Stand was worth the price of Golfie Jnrs Season ticket.

Reeves. As you all know he is not my favourite player but even I have to admit he had a great game. Such a shame his curling shot in the first half didnt go in. Worked endlessly & never afraid to pass or shoot when the oportunity arose.

Taylor. Holds the ball up so well. Either off his chest or to his feet. Shields it, shrugs the defender off & then lays it off to a willing team mate. Just wish he looked more confident with his pens.

Grant. Wasted 3 glorious opportunities....2 in the 2nd half when he should have shot instead of passing & should have shot earlier when he was clean through. But then he scored 2 & won us the match & you cant say fairer than that.

Sarr. I think he gets badly done by on here. Yes he may make the odd mistake & very nearly took out their player on the half way line, but you show me a player who doesnt make a mistake & I'll show you a player who doesnt give 100%. Oh......and his passing is mustard.

LB. I was highly critical at the start of August.....not just at the lack of signings but with LB & his "will be top 2" musings. I have no idea what Gallen & LB have said to Prately, Cullen, Ward & Beliek or if any of them saw LB play in his pomp, but my god they are some if the best signings a League 1 team could wish for & all should be playing in at least the Championship.

I'm not sure we are good enough for automatic promotion but a top 6 should surely be obtainable.....and this season we have strikers who know where the goal is.

Can you please give me details!
    Not just him, all of us.
  • Options

Didnt Bowyer say that Bielik could have been risked against Plymouth but was reluctant to do so?

Might even have him back against Luton so can potentially rest Page for a game (go three at the back or put Sarr at LB)

With Fosu he has to sit on the bench for a game or two I think (1) He was daft to get himself sent off (2) He's got to prove he deserves a place by playing well in the first place, something he's not done so will have to do it from the bench

As Bowyer said after the Northampton game though "Their boss must have wept when he saw us putting on Mavididi and Kaikai", well if opponents are scared of us putting those two on they should be even more scared if we can swap Ward for Fosu for example!!

Sarr is an emergency left back at best.
  • Options

Sarr is an emergency left back at best.
    True, but this qualifies as an emergency. First choice LB carrying an injury, second choice injured too. Its either Sarr or taking a huge chance on a youngster right now.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

I don't get all this weve got to play page, no other option.
    If page plays Saturday and breaks down we will have to find an option.
    If players are carrying an injury or not ready to comeback don't put them in the team.

Do we know what the injury is? I’m sure others play with injuries at times, you just never hear about it.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

clb74 said:

If players are carrying an injury or not ready to comeback don't put them in the team.

Do we know what the injury is? I’m sure others play with injuries at times, you just never hear about it.
    Just seen in contract talks thread problem with groin.
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Scoham said:

clb74 said:

...that he has had for a while. Bows said on Charlton live that he will not be training until at least Thursday, and he has been doing this for a while. He is hoping he is OK for Luton and then can have two weeks off to recover.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

clb74 said:

Scoham said:

clb74 said:

...that he has had for a while. Bows said on Charlton live that he will not be training until at least Thursday, and he has been doing this for a while. He is hoping he is OK for Luton and then can have two weeks off to recover
    Dont you mean Coventry next week - We've got three games before the International Break
  • Options

Redrobo said:

clb74 said:

Scoham said:

clb74 said:

...that he has had for a while. Bows said on Charlton live that he will not be training until at least Thursday, and he has been doing this for a while. He is hoping he is OK for Luton and then can have two weeks off to recover
    Dont you mean Coventry next week - We've got three games before the International Break
    That suggests that Bowyer is pretty confident we'll have enough international callups to get the came postponed

Thinking about it, if Reeves keeps playing as he did on Saturday, N Ireland will probably recall him at some point as well.