Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Options
    Williams is a baller and I wanted us to sign him when he went Ipswich. Not sure if I want him now, he has proven he cannot stay fit for any amount of time, and if we have a limited budgey, i dont think we should bw looking at people with a patchy injury record. We need bodies
  • Options
    Think you’ve planted the seed for bird puns...
  • Options
    As speculated earlier, hope that helps
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

Williams is a baller and I wanted us to sign him when he went Ipswich. Not sure if I want him now, he has proven he cannot stay fit for any amount of time, and if we have a limited budgey, i dont think we should bw looking at people with a patchy injury record. We need bodies

I actually think we need players that can play 9 games in a row and see how we end up. 🙏
  • Options
    Players that have the requisite qualities for a team wanting to push on are few and far between if there isn’t any kind of budget. You are left with players who fit the bill in terms of quality but are needing rehabilitation following injuries. It’s what we can get in for the money available. Certainly Bowyer could bring in fit bodies but they wouldn’t get us into and keep us in the top six.
  • Options
    Given we have Clarke likely back this month, possibly Cullen, Aribo as well, Lapslie next game but one hopefully Reeves too, Arnie yet to be tried in his correct position, Pratley, Morgan and Beliek in contention for Saturday plus wide players, I'm not sure why we need two more midfielders.

LB preferred diamond means the full backs need to alternate as wing backs and we have zero fit ones on our books. I have never seen Solly as a WB/attacking FB on either side. Buy one either side. Mascoll must be shit in training as that is his game.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

I know it sounds crazy, but could there be a clause that states when injured Williams would be returned straight away. I know it's a big ask but if Williams can stay fit he has a lot to give and is leagues above our current one. Is it worth the risk? Am I right thinking players like Clarke and Reeves are similar to Williams?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    Would never have recognised him. He used to look a bit like Ben Reeves

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Was a super little player a few years back and don’t care that he gave it to us fans a few years back, I would expect a Charlton player to do the same to that scummy lot.

The injury record is a real concern though, he literally is never fit.something like 110 games in 8 years as a pro, only 55 for Palace so the rest whilst on loan trying to get fit I assume and not sure he has played yet this season. I guess if he is genuinely fit now and can stay clear of injury for 2 months that would be enough to get Cullen, Aribo, Lapslie, Clarke and Reeves back.
  • Options
    Williams is unlikely to play for Palace again given he hasn't done so for 5 years and had his contract renewed while on loan. Highly unlikely we'd cough up much for his Champ reserve wages, Palace go for athletes now and a little gnome like ginger turning up at the training ground is prob an embarrassment.
  • Options
    Only need him for the next 6-8 weeks. Get Cullen & then Aribo back & he can then sit on the bench. Desperately need something on midfield......Reeves is not the answer.
  • Options
    Only 1 League Cup appearance this season though, back in August. Hard to see him making an immediate impact with that lack of match fitness
  • Options
    4-5 weeks to get fit. 2-3 weeks of looking a bloody decent player then 4th week injured. Will it be the same as so many of our signings since that wanker Roland has owned us. Hopefully not. Good signing if we can get some decent game time out of him.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Was Williams not the twat who spent a whole half giving it to the away fans when we played at Shithurst a few years ago

I always thought that was the left back Dean Moxey unless we're thinking different games. I'm thinking the 1-2 league defeat the year they went up.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Was Williams not the twat who spent a whole half giving it to the away fans when we played at Shithurst a few years ago

I always thought that was the left back Dean Moxey unless we're thinking different games. I'm thinking the 1-2 league defeat the year they went up.
    Yeah thats the game feb 2013

Maybe it was Moxey and I spent the last 5 years cursing the wrong player haha.

Whoever it was he was a complete twat who spent more of the half abusing away fans than actually playing
  • Options
    _nam11 said:

If it is him, and he stays fit. Good signing at this level

And there's the problem. He's made of glass.
  • Options
    If Williams comes in then Ward goes back. I thought Bowyer said he wants players that can go straight into the team - if Williams hasnt played for yonks then he doesnt fit that bill. Always thought he was a John Robinson kind of player (which is good ...) Still think we need another physical central striker because Taylor is going to miss matches and we are lightweight upfront if/when that happens. All this talk of a left back - think we need a right back as well (sorry Chris) - anyway i am preparing to be underwhelmed by any transfer activity ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hasnt played since March which was for Sunderland so hope Williams will be up to speed.

Cant imagine him starting if he signs before Saturday for that reason though as will no doubt be lacking match fitness - Its good though we're going after local players as we wont need to worry about leaving family or homesickness etc.
  • Options
    He’s made of glass. Great player, but that’s why he’s always out on loan to lower league clubs.
  • Options
    I'm sure I read at start of season or maybe last season, that Palace still pay the wages of loan players but they have to play as part of the deal, so hopefully he's good.
  • Options

Cov City season ticker holder and workmate said rumours are quite strong (up here) that we are interested in Abu Ogogo, ex Shrewsbury Town captain who City signed in the summer. Only played about 13 times this season as he has been unable to dislodge Michael Doyle and Liam Kelly (the mainstay pairing from last season) and their teenage star Tom Bayliss. Have no idea how much credence there is in this, but thought I'd share.

we was in for Ogogo in the summer but he choose Coventry so might be looking to loan him.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

I'm sure I read at start of season or maybe last season, that Palace still pay the wages of loan players but they have to play as part of the deal, so hopefully he's good.

Oh he's got pedigree Stu but he'll be a gamble on the games he manages to play given his injury record and lack of match fitness.
  • Options
    Maybe getting ahead of myself but i am thinking that Williams is a free transfer or small fee rather than loan as part of a long term strategy thinking form new owners.

Bowyer did say something about waiting on a green light could this be the takeover in the next 48 hours as mentioned by Jim White.

Wishful thinking i suppose.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Maybe getting ahead of myself but i am thinking that Williams is a free transfer or small fee rather than loan as part of a long term strategy thinking form new owners.

Bowyer did say something about waiting on a green light could this be the takeover in the next 48 hours as mentioned by Jim White.

Wishful thinking i suppose.

We can but hope. He's under contract mate with Palarse until the summer, whether they let him go early for free is another mater.
  • Options
    Didn't Williams previously reject a move to us because of the Charlton/Palace rivalry? I remember people actually being quite happy that he took that into account even though they wanted him to join. Decent player, though given our history of somehow murdering every single player who signs for us I don't rate his chances of staying fit too highly. Him and a left back would be good early business for sure.