Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Options

SDAddick said:

What are you opinions on Jack Payne of Bradford?

Asking due to knowing nothing of him and thought some of you will have seen more of him to form an opinion

Rumoured to be a permanent signing for us this window (from Huddersfield).

Stats suggest he's playing well and knows where the net is.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Good little player. Small (like 5'6" or something), lightweight, but a good #10 or winger. Had a breakthrough year with Huddersfield a couple years ago and helped them win promotion to the Prem (I think it was that year), but once they were promoted he wasn't considered part of their plans and has bounced around on loan since then.

He's a player where you need to have the right system to accommodate him because he's not going to fit seamlessly into a flat 4-4-2. And again, he is small. But has technical ability not often found in the lower leagues.

Just my two cents from having seen him a handful of times. I think we were linked with him a couple years ago when we brought in Reeves instead.
    Thanks, appreciated.

Sounds like he could be the creative midfielder we're looking for. Ryan Leonard has been, on the whole, very steady for us. Tunnicliffe, overhead kick goal at the weekend excused, runs around a lot but I don't particularly rate him. That leave Shaun Williams as our only other central midfielder and he's the type that like to dictate play from in front of the centre halves.

Will see how this one pans out.
    Payne is a very good player for League One, why he went on loan to a League One side at the beginning of the season is a mystery to me.

We wanted him last season but he went to Oxford until January, Blackburn signed him to help them get promoted. He’s now been scoring for fun for a Bradford side who has struggled this season, until recently where they’re on incredible form.

Type of player who can play off the striker or play slightly out wide. Small, quick, skilful, but considering his size, he doesn’t get bullied as much as you might think. From Tower Hamlets. Could do well for you if he signs, but he’ll need the ball high up in the opposition half to do anything as he’s not the type of player to spread the ball around, he’s the type to get into pockets and between the lines.
  • Options

DOUCHER said:

And there will be no sale of any major players in this window and i understand a bid of £2m has been turned down for one already - probably best i don't name him - just passing on what i know - as always.

I'm not sure what is harder to believe there, someone bidding 2m for one of our players.......or RD turning it down.
    I heard someone bid a 1mill plus add ons for Aribo but don't know how much legs it has
  • Options

DOUCHER said:

And there will be no sale of any major players in this window and i understand a bid of £2m has been turned down for one already - probably best i don't name him - just passing on what i know - as always.

I'm not sure what is harder to believe there, someone bidding 2m for one of our players.......or RD turning it down.
    I heard someone bid a 1mill plus add ons for Aribo but don't know how much legs it has
    Two legs unless he has recently lost one hence it might have started of at 2mill now reduced to one! :smile:
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Asking due to knowing nothing of him and thought some of you will have seen more of him to form an opinion

Better than what we have, reckon he could make the step up to the championship. I've heard he was going to Millwall though.
  • Options

Beckles isn't actually a left back though, he's a CB who did a decent jo

Better than what we have, reckon he could make the step up to the championship. I've heard he was going to Millwall though.
    @Big_Bad_World is a Millwall fan.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Richard J said:

Ahh I see, didn't realise.
    Yes they normally come with a clue in their username like Sparrows Lane Lion and Millwall Fan however BBW is incognito. :wink:
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You're not supposed to say that :)
  • Options
    Any announcements yet?
  • Options

Richard J said:

Ahh I see, didn't realise.
    If he offends you we'll get @AddickUpNorth to switch the wifi off, but he's normally alright for a spanner. ;)
  • Options
    Don’t players have to be signed by end of today to play Saturday. Another load of lies by Roland
  • Options
    Can't see this anywhere:

Richard Cawley

@RichCawleySLP

#cafc still working on a deal for Jonny Williams. Plan is to get him in time to feature v Sunderland on Saturday. But he was part of #cpfc travelling party for Wolves game last night.
  • Options

Can't see this anywhere:

Richard Cawley

@RichCawleySLP

#cafc still working on a deal for Jonny Williams. Plan is to get him in time to feature v Sunderland on Saturday. But he was part of #cpfc travelling party for Wolves game last night.
    When does he have to sign by to be eligible?
  • Options

Can't see this anywhere:

Richard Cawley

@RichCawleySLP

When does he have to sign by to be eligible?
    It's usually by midday the day before a game.
  • Options
    RedJohn said:

Message from other forum that we are signing Jonny Williams on a permanent deal.

If we can get him fit, cracking player! lets hope he isn't just one for the injury list or signed on pay as you play
  • Options
    RedJohn said:

Message from other forum that we are signing Jonny Williams on a permanent deal.

This would be quite incredible if true. I see Williams as a Championship level player who once had the potential to play at a higher level, but was hammered by injuries. I think that he hasn't actually played below Championship level in his career, so I'm not quite sure how we're pulling this one off even with his injury history. A loan would make more sense given our usual MO. He's apparently on £15,000 p/w at Palace, so I'm amazed we would be looking at a permanent deal for a top earner (he'd have to take a cut but our top earners are around £7,000 p/w aren't they?) with our current ownership..
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    According to @killerandflash we're after "Lionel Messi, Virgil Van Dijk, Jordi Alba, Eden Hazard."

• Options

RedJohn said:

If we can get him fit, cracking player! lets hope he isn't just one for the injury list or signed on pay as you play
    sorry to say @johnnybev1987 .. he's an injury prone little midfielder, 118 games over 7 seasons and just 2 goals .. similar player to Ward but not so robust .. not for me
  • Options

According to @killerandflash we're after "Lionel Messi, Virgil Van Dijk, Jordi Alba, Eden Hazard."

Alba and Messi yes
    We need a LB and Messi can slot nicely behind Taylor and Grant

Maybe Hazard would be good option off the bench but VVD can go fuck himself
    We already have The BFG, Peacey and big Naby
  • Options

RedJohn said:

sorry to say @johnnybev1987 .. he's an injury prone little midfielder, 118 games over 7 seasons and just 2 goals .. similar player to Ward but not so robust .. not for me
    I know thats why i said if we can keep him of the injury list, he doesn't have a great record in the respect but if we can keep him fit/ injury free very good player. In the past i thought he was premiership quality, but likely he will have lost some of that being out alot.
  • Options

Alba and Messi yes
    We need a LB and Messi can slot nicely behind Taylor and Grant

Maybe Hazard would be good option off the bench but VVD can go fuck himself
    We already have The BFG, Peacey and big Naby
    But Pearce is out injured for a little while, Bauer is currently out of contract in the summer, and Bielik is only on loan, so maybe Van Dijk could well be needed after all :wink:
  • Options
    Leuth said:

Why are we signing a player who's basically identical to Ben Reeves except maybe a tiny bit better? I guess I answered my question. Maybe we can play both and they could pass to each other loads

IMO Reeves pulls strings as will Williams, true they wont play together but at present there is no replacemnt for Reeves and he aint got a full 90 in him.

They will probably rotate as games will come thick and fast.
  • Options
    RedJohn said:

Thanks Colin
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

RedJohn said:

Thanks Colin
    Our own Essex Al actually who's mate works at Palarse :wink: