Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Options

SDAddick said:

Cov City season ticker holder and workmate said rumours are quite strong (up here) that we are interested in Abu Ogogo, ex Shrewsbury Town captain who City signed in the summer. Only played about 13 times this season as he has been unable to dislodge Michael Doyle and Liam Kelly (the mainstay pairing from last season) and their teenage star Tom Bayliss. Have no idea how much credence there is in this, but thought I'd share.

He's the one where we could either sign him or Pratley and chose Pratley.

He seems to have had injury problems this season. Thought he looked very strong last season, certainly preferable to Pratley. But I kind of wonder if the rumour about him that you're hearing is an old one.

That said, I'd have him, certainly. But when everyone is fit, or rather most people are fit, it means one of our two permanent signings from the summer--Pratley, might not even get in the matchday squad. I don't know that that will be allowed to happen.
    The rumour is a fresh one that started over the weekend as I understand it. He is now fit again and looking to play, but unable to force his way in currently. As you may know I work at Coventry Uni and the rumour mill on this has been doing the rounds over last couple of days, but as I said its just a rumour and there maybe nothing in it.
    I thought you worked abroad.
    Easy mistake to make. When people say Coventry is in a different time zone, they mean the 70s, not that it's abroad.
    But the past is a foreign country, they do things differently there.

So technically everybody is correct.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

S

SDAddick said:

Cov City season ticker holder and workmate said rumours are quite strong (up here) that we are interested in Abu Ogogo, ex Shrewsbury Town captain who City signed in the summer. Only played about 13 times this season as he has been unable to dislodge Michael Doyle and Liam Kelly (the mainstay pairing from last season) and their teenage star Tom Bayliss. Have no idea how much credence there is in this, but thought I'd share.

He seems to have had injury problems this season. Thought he looked very strong last season, certainly preferable to Pratley. But I kind of wonder if the rumour about him that you're hearing is an old one.

That said, I'd have him, certainly. But when everyone is fit, or rather most people are fit, it means one of our two permanent signings from the summer--Pratley, might not even get in the matchday squad. I don't know that that will be allowed to happen.
    The rumour is a fresh one that started over the weekend as I understand it. He is now fit again and looking to play, but unable to force his way in currently. As you may know I work at Coventry Uni and the rumour mill on this has been doing the rounds over last couple of days, but as I said its just a rumour and there maybe nothing in it.
    Work, Uni. Not often those two words are used in the same sentence 😉
    Agreed about most of the students!!! I spend most of my time sorting out the IT mess they'

SDAddick said:

I do, but come home every so often and one of those times was Christmas!! LOL
    On a serious note my workmates at Cov Uni stay in contact about footie wherever I'm working.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Redrobo said:

S

SDAddick said:

Work, Uni. Not often those two words are used in the same sentence 😉
    Agreed about most of the students!!! I spend most of my time sorting out the IT mess they'

SDAddick said:

I do, but come home every so often and one of those times was Christmas!! LOL
    On a serious note my workmates at Cov Uni stay in contact about footie wherever I'm working.
    Sorry mate, didn't mean to doubt you, was just thinking maybe it was one of those things that circle back.

If he's fit he'd be a good one to get in. Again, looked really strong last season.

And don't let these kids bother you. There is nothing wrong with an 8pm bedtime.
  • Options
    On a serious note, I was surprised that he didn't move in the summer. Whenever I've seen him he looks to be of a real quality. I think injuries and consistency have held him back. But on his day a good footballer.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:
    On a serious note, I was surprised that he didn't move in the summer. Whenever I've seen him he looks to be of a real quality. I think injuries and consistency have held him back. But on his day a good footballer.

Could offer Ajose as part of the deal
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    If anyone has even the slightest doubt that might not have been Williams, he is wearing the same cap in episode 4 of Sunderland Til I Die (which I’ve just watched).
  • Options

I hope his nickname is whisky

No it's wake me up before yo Ogogo
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ginger pills
  • Options
    LTKapal said:

Could we be building a team of gingers? Clarke, Reeves, Williams and Taylor with a dye job. Would Solly and Lapslie make a ginger side? Any others we might sign? Could we get matches transferred from the Valley to the inside of a phone booth?

Doesn't Waggstaff have a ginger beard nowadays?
    Sign him up! But seriously I said when he was here he'd make a decent RB and we need proper cover there.
  • Options

LTKapal said:

Could we be building a team of gingers? Clarke, Reeves, Williams and Taylor with a dye job. Would Solly and Lapslie make a ginger side? Any others we might sign? Could we get matches transferred from the Valley to the inside of a phone booth?

Sign him up! But seriously I said when he was here he'd make a decent RB and we need proper cover there.
    Great call but, has he learnt how to tackle yet? Is he any better at heading the ball. If not, that may rule him out.
  • Options

Hopefully the new owners can bring their pot of gold.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Redrobo said:

LTKapal said:

Great call but, has he learnt how to tackle yet? Is he any better at heading the ball. If not, that may rule him out.
    I think the main job of full backs is to stop crosses coming over, hassle wingers and learn the skill of not going wide until the winger has the ball but getting to the man before a cross. Waggy was tenacious from his debut but his lack of a decent cross makes him a L1 winger whereas an overlapping FB is a decoy mainly. Never had a problem with his tackling and not many wingers would outpace him.
  • Options
    They might do now
  • Options

Hopefully the new owners can bring their pot of gold.
    I thought they were Aussies? You just described the Irish
  • Options

Are you on drugs
    Harsh Paulie,

Redrobo said:

LTKapal said:

I think the main job of full backs is to stop crosses coming over, hassle wingers and learn the skill of not going wide until the winger has the ball but getting to the man before a cross. Waggy was tenacious from his debut but his lack of a decent cross makes him a L1 winger whereas an overlapping FB is a decoy mainly. Never had a problem with his tackling and not many wingers would outpace him.
    Charlton ran Waggy ragged a couple of weeks ago.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not sure if auburn counts in this discussion but Julienne Moore is quite high up my personal list
  • Options
    Christina. Hendricks.
  • Options

Christina. Hendricks.

Not a natural ginger. Jessica Chastain on the other hand.....
  • Options
    What are you opinions on Jack Payne of Bradford?

Asking due to knowing nothing of him and thought some of you will have seen more of him to form an opinion

Rumoured to be a permanent signing for us this window (from Huddersfield).

Stats suggest he's playing well and knows where the net is.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options

Asking due to knowing nothing of him and thought some of you will have seen more of him to form an opinion

Good little player. Small (like 5'6" or something), lightweight, but a good #10 or winger. Had a breakthrough year with Huddersfield a couple years ago and helped them win promotion to the Prem (I think it was that year), but once they were promoted he wasn't considered part of their plans and has bounced around on loan since then.

He's a player where you need to have the right system to accommodate him because he's not going to fit seamlessly into a flat 4-4-2. And again, he is small. But has technical ability not often found in the lower leagues.

Just my two cents from having seen him a handful of times. I think we were linked with him a couple years ago when we brought in Reeves instead.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Good little player. Small (like 5'6" or something), lightweight, but a good #10 or winger. Had a breakthrough year with Huddersfield a couple years ago and helped them win promotion to the Prem (I think it was that year), but once they were promoted he wasn't considered part of their plans and has bounced around on loan since then.

He's a player where you need to have the right system to accommodate him because he's not going to fit seamlessly into a flat 4-4-2. And again, he is small. But has technical ability not often found in the lower leagues.

Just my two cents from having seen him a handful of times. I think we were linked with him a couple years ago when we brought in Reeves instead.
    Thanks, appreciated.

Sounds like he could be the creative midfielder we're looking for. Ryan Leonard has been, on the whole, very steady for us. Tunnicliffe, overhead kick goal at the weekend excused, runs around a lot but I don't particularly rate him. That leave Shaun Williams as our only other central midfielder and he's the type that like to dictate play from in front of the centre halves.

Will see how this one pans out.
  • Options
    But is he ginger?
  • Options
    Was very highly rated when at Southend along with the Goalkeeper: Bentley (who is at Brentford now) but hasnt really been able to settle anywhere else since he left them.

Interestingly he's mostly been in the North of England apart from a stint at Oxford so a move back down this way might be all he needs to push on