Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Options

Didn't Williams previously reject a move to us because of the Charlton/Palace rivalry? I remember people actually being quite happy that he took that into account even though they wanted him to join. Decent player, though given our history of somehow murdering every single player who signs for us I don't rate his chances of staying fit too highly. Him and a left back would be good early business for sure.

The not going on loan to a rival thing could help the theory that it's a permanent deal.

RD's history puts paid to that though
  • Options

Maybe getting ahead of myself but i am thinking that Williams is a free transfer or small fee rather than loan as part of a long term strategy thinking form new owners.

Bowyer did say something about waiting on a green light could this be the takeover in the next 48 hours as mentioned by Jim White.

Wishful thinking i suppose.

That would make sense as there would be no rush to get him in the team? Also lives local to Charlton and is happy in London I assume? Seems like a very decent lad who has had no luck what so ever. I remember watching him when he played for palace against Brighton in the play offs. He was a cut above the rest by a long way.

Big IF but if we can have a fit Williams he would be a top top player for us.

Knowing our luck he will break his eye lash and be ruled out for the season
  • Options

Maybe getting ahead of myself but i am thinking that Williams is a free transfer or small fee rather than loan as part of a long term strategy thinking form new owners.

Bowyer did say something about waiting on a green light could this be the takeover in the next 48 hours as mentioned by Jim White.

Takeover shouldn't be a factor on this one. With Ward & Steer off the wage bill we're within budget.
  • Options
    we do need someone who is ready to play. maybe Williams is, but night need rotating a bit with others whilst he gets fitter.
  • Options
    Ferryman said:

Takeover shouldn't be a factor on this one. With Ward & Steer off the wage bill we're within budget.
    I meant more with Williams not being fit is this more of a longer term view rather than come in straight away to play as it goes against what LB said he wanted from loan players.
  • Options

Cov City season ticker holder and workmate said rumours are quite strong (up here) that we are interested in Abu Ogogo, ex Shrewsbury Town captain who City signed in the summer. Only played about 13 times this season as he has been unable to dislodge Michael Doyle and Liam Kelly (the mainstay pairing from last season) and their teenage star Tom Bayliss. Have no idea how much credence there is in this, but thought I'd share.

He's the one where we could either sign him or Pratley and chose Pratley.

He seems to have had injury problems this season. Thought he looked very strong last season, certainly preferable to Pratley. But I kind of wonder if the rumour about him that you're hearing is an old one.

That said, I'd have him, certainly. But when everyone is fit, or rather most people are fit, it means one of our two permanent signings from the summer--Pratley, might not even get in the matchday squad. I don't know that that will be allowed to happen.
  • Options

Ferryman said:

I meant more with Williams not being fit is this more of a longer term view rather than come in straight away to play as it goes against what LB said he wanted from loan players.
    Are ANY loan players in January likely to be match fit? Surely all of them will be fringe players, who are unwanted and thus haven't played much
  • Options

I hope his nickname is whisky

That would mean he comes with a big reputation but is actually shit.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I hope his nickname is whisky

That would mean he comes with a big reputation but is actually shit.
    more than likely not.
  • Options

Ferryman said:

Are ANY loan players in January likely to be match fit? Surely all of them will be fringe players, who are unwanted and thus haven't played much
    U23s? behind close doors? Extra training?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    on Jonny Williams if you do some searches it looks like he has been training hard to get his chances with the first team for his current club so you can imagine he will be ready but maybe not match sharp
  • Options
    Half of the football league have apparently activated the release clause for Exeter's Jayden Stockley who's the leading scorer in league 2.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Cov City season ticker holder and workmate said rumours are quite strong (up here) that we are interested in Abu Ogogo, ex Shrewsbury Town captain who City signed in the summer. Only played about 13 times this season as he has been unable to dislodge Michael Doyle and Liam Kelly (the mainstay pairing from last season) and their teenage star Tom Bayliss. Have no idea how much credence there is in this, but thought I'd share.

He seems to have had injury problems this season. Thought he looked very strong last season, certainly preferable to Pratley. But I kind of wonder if the rumour about him that you're hearing is an old one.

That said, I'd have him, certainly. But when everyone is fit, or rather most people are fit, it means one of our two permanent signings from the summer--Pratley, might not even get in the matchday squad. I don't know that that will be allowed to happen.
    I thought Agogo was our first choice but chose Coventry, so we ended up signing Pratley.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I don’t believe that is quite true.

We definitely wanted Ogogo and I believe Bowyer even met him at the beginning of the summer but he chose to go to Coventry, for one reason or another. Pratley was on the list as well but it wasn’t a case of choosing Pratley over Ogogo.

We signed Pratley on 17th July, whilst Ogogo went to Coventry on 26th June.
  • Options
    Not 100 per cent happy with Williams ' beard.

Would like an option clause in any future contract offered.
  • Options

Hasnt played since March which was for Sunderland so hope Williams will be up to speed.

Cant imagine him starting if he signs before Saturday for that reason though as will no doubt be lacking match fitness - Its good though we're going after local players as we wont need to worry about leaving family or homesickness etc.

Seriously, he hasn't played first team football since March?

That was 10 months ago. Time he gets match fit the season will be over.

Seems a strange move to me if true.
  • Options
    That wouldnt surprise me as Bowyer said he was interested in Aneke when he did that cameo on Soccer Saturday in November
  • Options

shirty5 said:
    Would never have recognised him. He used to look a bit like Ben Reeves

He is/was a doppelganger of Ben Reeves.
    Both small, high foreheads, fair haired and goes by the nickname "Swarovski" not because of any Polish ancestry but because of a fragility.

There is no space left in the medical room.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    SDAddick said:

The rumour is a fresh one that started over the weekend as I understand it. He is now fit again and looking to play, but unable to force his way in currently. As you may know I work at Coventry Uni and the rumour mill on this has been doing the rounds over last couple of days, but as I said its just a rumour and there maybe nothing in it.
  • Options
    CAFCsayer said:

CAFCsayer said:

Williams is a baller and I wanted us to sign him when he went Ipswich. Not sure if I want him now, he has proven he cannot stay fit for any amount of time, and if we have a limited budgey, i dont think we should bw looking at people with a patchy injury record. We need bodies

Wont let me edit post so will get it in before anyone else... Yes, he's cheep

😊
    Almost fell off my perch!

• Options
    Nonsense. Always hearing ‘I’m off to uni for 3 to 4 years so I don’t need to work.’
  • Options

Only 1 League Cup appearance this season though, back in August. Hard to see him making an immediate impact with that lack of match fitness

He'll be match fit by May :smile:
  • Options

SDAddick said:

The rumour is a fresh one that started over the weekend as I understand it. He is now fit again and looking to play, but unable to force his way in currently. As you may know I work at Coventry Uni and the rumour mill on this has been doing the rounds over last couple of days, but as I said its just a rumour and there maybe nothing in it.
    I thought you worked abroad.
  • Options
    so did I, 'fess up RM
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    He's at Coventry uni as very mature student. ;) He often goes abroad as part of his work for them. He'll be asleep by now...... ;)