Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Dizzle said:

Not a rumour but I would like to see us go in for Eddie Nketiah. Local lad and knows where the net is. A gamble obviously but would prefer him to Ajose.

Emery has said that with welbeck out he wanted Nketiah to get more game time with their first team
    Ah I didn’t see that. Not good enough for them but guess if he’s third choice they need him as cover
  • I'm fairly sure we've already enquired about the availability of Nketiah for next season
  • sam3110 said:

I'm fairly sure we've already enquired about the availability of Nketiah for next season

We have a good relationship with Arsenal. Nketiah certianly suits Bowyer’s football too. It’s a good fit, but not in league 1.
  • edited January 2019

Not a rumour but I would like to see us go in for Eddie Nketiah. Local lad and knows where the net is. A gamble obviously but would prefer him to Ajose.

Wasnt he someone that Bowyer wanted Pre-Season or was that Robinson last year who said he wanted Nketiah instead of Mavididi?

I'm certain that we enquired about Reiss Nelson this summer thats for sure
  • Not a rumour but I would like to see us go in for Eddie Nketiah. Local lad and knows where the net is. A gamble obviously but would prefer him to Ajose.

I enquired about the availability of Candice Swanepoel too... About as likely to happen.
  • Sounds like Chris Maxwell would be our preferred keeper signing but if he goes to Bristol City, we'll go for Remi Matthews:

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-eye-loan-deal-for-preston-north-end-goalkeeper-but-norwich-city-man-could-also-come-into-the-reckoning/

Do Norwich have a goalkeeping factory up there, the number of keepers they produce!
    It's the advantage they have having six fingers
    Hey,Hey. Be careful. Our Goalkeeping Coach Andy Marshall started his career at Norwich.
  • Norwich have produced some descent goalkeepers over the years.
    The one our more mature (old) posters will remember was Kevin Keelan who kept goal for Norwich for years.
    The one our more mature (old) posters will remember was Kevin Keelan who kept goal for Norwich for years.

Wow, that's a name from the past. A very good keeper.

Born in India, played at the New England Tea Men with Mick Flanagan.

• Not a rumour but I would like to see us go in for Eddie Nketiah. Local lad and knows where the net is. A gamble obviously but would prefer him to Ajose.

Wasnt he someone that Bowyer wanted Pre-Season or was that Robinson last year who said he wanted Nketiah instead of Mavididi?

Yeah we would have had no chance of Nelson but worth a question I guess.
  • Sponsored links:

Born in India, played at the New England Tea Men with Mick Flanagan.

Norwich signed him in 1963 and he played for 17 seasons making 238 appearances for them.
  • edited January 2019
    Jonny Williams has been hurt so often he has not played more than 13 league matches in a season in 7 years, including stints at MK Dons. I contend this will wind up being about as beneficial to us as the Mark Marshall transfer, and for the same reasons. First law of transfers... injury-prone players remain injury-prone players. Maybe someday we will learn.

Gunn was a very good keeper.
  • Jonny Williams has been hurt so often he has not played more than 13 league matches in a season in 7 years, including stints at MK Dons. I contend this will wind up being about as beneficial to us as the Mark Marshall transfer, and for the same reasons. First law of transfers... injury-prone players remain injury-prone players. Maybe someday we will learn.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything, right now. Football isn't always about statistics or averages ....... they rarely tell the whole story.
    Footballers are real people, mostly with big desire and determination, that's why they've made it so far in the game.

Every single player in the game is vulnerable to a bad injury.

Some are given injections to keep them playing despite the injury they are carrying, and which can often cause delayed recovery or even permanent damage. Many are pushed back into playing without the injury being fully healed and surprise, the injury flares up again.

In any case, Jonny Williams has been fit and playing all season ...... he just couldn't break into a Prem 1st team, with the quality of player in front of him. That doesn't make him a bad player or even "injury prone" - and he passed his CAFC medical, didn't he?

• Oggy Red said:

Jonny Williams has been hurt so often he has not played more than 13 league matches in a season in 7 years, including stints at MK Dons. I contend this will wind up being about as beneficial to us as the Mark Marshall transfer, and for the same reasons. First law of transfers... injury-prone players remain injury-prone players. Maybe someday we will learn.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything, right now. Football isn't always about statistics or averages ....... they rarely tell the whole story.
    Footballers are real people, mostly with big desire and determination, that's why they've made it so far in the game.

Some are given injections to keep them playing despite the injury they are carrying, and which can often cause delayed recovery or even permanent damage. Many are pushed back into playing without the injury being fully healed and surprise, the injury flares up again.

In any case, Jonny Williams has been fit and playing all season ...... he just couldn't break into a Prem 1st team, with the quality of player in front of him. That doesn't make him a bad player or even "injury prone" - and he passed his CAFC medical, didn't he?

JW played in a Euro Championships semi-final a couple of years ago, he is certainly good enough to play for Charlton in League One. If he hadn't had injury problems he would be playing week in week out at a top championship club or higher that is for certain.
  • Oggy Red said:

We’ve signed a few injury prone players over the last few years who have passed the CAFC medical. Maybe the medical needs to include other activities other than can you hop on one leg for 30 seconds
  • Also correct me if I'm wrong but last year his injury was a dislocated shoulder? Not exactly the most recurring injury in football.
    Add that to him supposedly playing most u23 games this year, although I do realise u23 is less physical but fingers crossed it's a good sign.
  • LTKapal said:

Also correct me if I'm wrong but last year his injury was a dislocated shoulder? Not exactly the most recurring injury in football.
    Add that to him supposedly playing most u23 games this year, although I do realise u23 is less physical but fingers crossed it's a good sign.

Apart from Cullen & Vetokele in the same game! ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• LTKapal said:

Also correct me if I'm wrong but last year his injury was a dislocated shoulder? Not exactly the most recurring injury in football.

Once you have dislocated a shoulder it’s more likely to be dislocated again.

• LTKapal said:

Just put super glue in it
  • LTKapal said:

Derek Ufton was a good example of this.
  • LTKapal said:

Just put super glue in it
    This would probably work but only if you only wanted subsequent arm movement like Action Man.

• he looked very action manlike on Saturday
  • LTKapal said:

Derek Ufton was a good example of this.
    I dislocated mine and it popped out a few times until I had an operation.
  • The Maxwell rumour is on Sky now.
  • Richard J said:

The Maxwell rumour is on Sky now.

He passed away in the early nineties
  • Bauer to Villa.
  • Richard J said:

The Maxwell rumour is on Sky now.

By Jim white?