Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:

Our squad is actually pretty massive this season, if we didn't have a team of crocks...

True

We have a midfield of Aribo, Cullen, JFC and Lapslie all out plus Reeves

in defence we're missing Pearce and Page

That's a decent starting midfield and half our first choice defence.

The silver lining to this cloud is that players like Lapslie, Morgan, Stephen and Dijsteel have all had plenty of game time so are that much better prepared.
    I don’t think Lapslie is out. Concussion time off should be completed unless problems have surfaced.
    Not so sure, it was two concussions and one was quite serious. I think the protocols around such injuries may mean he's out a little longer, I haven't heard Bowyer or the club suggest he's ready yet.
  • Options
    Concussion is taken very seriously, especially with a youngster like Lapslie. Don't think they will take any chances by rushing him back.
    Leigh Halfpenny, Wales rugby full back, for example,has been out for 10 weeks now with a concussion sustained in the Autumn.
  • Options

Our squad is actually pretty massive this season, if we didn't have a team of crocks...

True

The silver lining to this cloud is that players like Lapslie, Morgan, Stevenson and Dijsteel have all had plenty of game time so are that much better prepared.
    Indeed Lapslie and Dijksteel are at the age (21/22) where they ought to be getting more game time, for a club like ours if they can't be first team squad members by 21/22, they probably never will.
  • Options

True

The silver lining to this cloud is that players like Lapslie, Morgan, Stevenson and Dijsteel have all had plenty of game time so are that much better prepared.
    In fairness if JFC hadn't got injured, we probably wouldn't have signed Cullen though.
  • Options
    Who do we all reckon this midfielder to hopefully come in is?
  • Options
    cafc_se7 said:

Who do we all reckon this midfielder to hopefully come in is?

With our track record for injuries, probably Darren Anderton
  • Options
    The next signing will be a striker not a midfielder. Bowyer said he wants someone to compete with Taylor / Grant.
  • Options

The next signing will be a striker not a midfielder. Bowyer said he wants someone to compete with Taylor / Grant.

Persuading Peterborough to send Toney our way on loan to help out with their potential FFP issues would be ideal for both parties
  • Options

Persuading Peterborough to send Toney our way on loan to help out with their potential FFP issues would be ideal for both parties
    I promise I'm not driesen but all I know from FIFA is that he is rapid
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    jams said:

I promise I'm not driesen but all I know from FIFA is that he is rapid
    Like his manager
  • Options

True

What's even more of a silver lining is that Lapslie, Morgan, Stevenson and Dijksteel all appear to be up to the required standard to feature for a run in the team. None of them appear to be carried in the team and with the exception of Dijksteel who featured last season the other three are new squad bolsters and are as good as being new signings made in the summer.

With an entirely fit midfield excluding JFC we have Fosu, Reeves, Clarke, Williams, Lapslie, Morgan, Marshall, Cullen, Bielik, Maloney you do wonder whether maybe Bowyer might let Pratley go this window if there's a willing taker for him if it frees up wages to bring in another striker or midfielder. After all Crofts and Foley only stayed with us a few months each two seasons ago.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

True

The silver lining to this cloud is that players like Lapslie, Morgan, Stephen and Dijsteel have all had plenty of game time so are that much better prepared.
    I don’t think Lapslie is out. Concussion time off should be completed unless problems have surfaced.
    Lapslie back and so is Reeves. Cullen back Saturday week. All looking good!
  • Options
    At the end of the month we may wish to send one or two youngsters out on loan, say Lapslie or Morgan
  • Options

At the end of the month we may wish to send one or two youngsters out on loan, say Lapslie or Morgan

With our injury record, I do not think we could take a chance everyone will stay fit until the end of the season and we will need these two players. Perhaps some of the other young players who are not likely to get into the first team this season
  • Options

True

What's even more of a silver lining is that Lapslie, Morgan, Stevenson and Dijksteel all appear to be up to the required standard to feature for a run in the team. None of them appear to be carried in the team and with the exception of Dijksteel who featured last season the other three are new squad bolsters and are as good as being new signings made in the summer.

With an entirely fit midfield excluding JFC we have Fosu, Reeves, Clarke, Williams, Lapslie, Morgan, Marshall, Cullen, Bielik, Maloney you do wonder whether maybe Bowyer might let Pratley go this window if there's a willing taker for him if it frees up wages to bring in another striker or midfielder. After all Crofts and Foley only stayed with us a few months each two seasons ago.
    Crofts was here a whole season and played around 40 games I believe. I don't think Bowyer will let go of Pratley with the current injuries we have. More likely to let Clarke go IMO.

I also don't agree with your assessment of the youngsters, apart from Lapslie. Dijksteel is a decent player, but not a right back. Stevenson looks decent, but Bowyer clearly doesn't want to risk him playing much otherwise he wouldn't have signed another LB. Same with Morgan. As soon as the midfielders are fit I don't think we will see Morgan, but I am sure his time will come.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Potentially we could soon have Aribo, Fosu, Pratley, Reeves, Clarke, Williams, Lapslie, Morgan, Marshall, Cullen, Bielik, Maloney all competing for 4 midfield places.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

True

Crofts was here a whole season and played around 40 games I believe. I don't think Bowyer will let go of Pratley with the current injuries we have. More likely to let Clarke go IMO.

I also don't agree with your assessment of the youngsters, apart from Lapslie. Dijksteel is a decent player, but not a right back. Stevenson looks decent, but Bowyer clearly doesn't want to risk him playing much otherwise he wouldn't have signed another LB. Same with Morgan. As soon as the midfielders are fit I don't think we will see Morgan, but I am sure his time will come.
    I stand corrected over Crofts. I remember now it was just Foley out after a few months.

I think we do actually agree on the youngsters though, all of them are capable of filling in for a few games at a time but not to be relied upon. I would still keep them around the squad and stand by my thoughts of potentially letting Pratley go if it meant Bowyer could bring in another striker. Even for Pratley's experience there's no reason we couldn't bring in an experienced striker to replace Pratley. I think Pratley's done a fair job but if we want promotion we have to be ruthless and Pratley will probably be earning more than a few of the youngsters combined.
  • Options

True

I stand corrected over Crofts. I remember now it was just Foley out after a few months.

I think we do actually agree on the youngsters though, all of them are capable of filling in for a few games at a time but not to be relied upon. I would still keep them around the squad and stand by my thoughts of potentially letting Pratley go if it meant Bowyer could bring in another striker. Even for Pratley's experience there's no reason we couldn't bring in an experienced striker to replace Pratley. I think Pratley's done a fair job but if we want promotion we have to be ruthless and Pratley will probably be earning more than a few of the youngsters combined.
    I agree, we have enough midfielders to get us through most things. A striker is essential as Taylor will miss 2 games due to suspension and odds are one of them will be injured and miss a game or two.
  • Options
    edited January 2019

Potentially we could soon have Aribo, Fosu, Pratley, Reeves, Clarke, Williams, Lapslie, Morgan, Marshall, Cullen, Bielik, Maloney all competing for 4 midfield places.

one of those midfielders is likely to be moved on - one who hasn't featured for a long time
  • Options
    Clarke?
  • Options
    I wonder would LB be interested in Jerome Sinclair who is back at Watford, after he ended his loan at Sunderland? Always thought he was a decent player.
  • Options
    mart77 said:

I wonder would LB be interested in Jerome Sinclair who is back at Watford, after he ended his loan at Sunderland? Always thought he was a decent player.

Just had the same thought after reading that he'd gone back. Would be decent!
  • Options

mart77 said:

Just had the same thought after reading that he'd gone back. Would be decent!
    Didn't play much for Sunderland though