Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Not a rumour but Gallen needs to get to China and have a look.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnathan_Aparecido_da_Silva
  • CAFCDAZ said:

CAFCDAZ said:

I think the Mo Eisa rumour is wide of the mark, I suggested he would be a quality signing for us on loan a few pages back, a few of us joked around about songs for him, his name has probably crept up on twitter somewhere cause of it and here we are.

He is by no means out of our reach but as far as I know he hasn't been officially linked, no player has on social media

i actually mentioned him to begin with, i knew him from greenwich borough, really nice kid.
    Beyond Charlton of me to check this, but you mentioned him on the 12th I said he would be a good signing on the 11th.

I don't think anyone mentioned him before I did and it was purely hypothetical from me
    i apologise for claiming to have called it first 🙄😂
    Never heard of him.
  • Also Souleymane Coulibaly is back playing for Partick after 18 months out due to dispute with his Arab club. Rusty, but knows where the goal is.
  • No idea if Mo Eisa is what we need or whether or not we are interested but Kenny Jackett has ruled out a Pompey move for him.
  • Pedro45 said:

You would hope that the lure of a promotion push, with a possible Wembley appearance in May, would be better than inevitable relegation (Huddersfield), or, at best, mid-table mediocrity (Brentford and Millwall).

But would you turn down 10k a week at the Terriers in favour of maybe 4 or 5 at Charlton?
    Yet in 4 months or so time Grant could get promoted with us to the Championship and earn a 10k a week contract with us where Huddersfield, Brentford and Millwall would also be in next season. If the rest of the season goes well Grant could have a promotion next to his name and maybe even league top scorer.

RD is the cause of all the speculation by not tying players down on proper contracts yet but I can't see the appeal of a relegation dogfight at any of those teams mentioned. Huddersfield in particular are Premier League in name only for a few more weeks.
  • No idea if Mo Eisa is what we need or whether or not we are interested but Kenny Jackett has ruled out a Pompey move for him.

He comes from the Sudan

He comes from the Sudan
    Really ?

Pity as I’ve heard they don’t like it up em.

• Mo Eisa, isn't that a planet in Star Wars?
  • Pedro45 said:

You would hope that the lure of a promotion push, with a possible Wembley appearance in May, would be better than inevitable relegation (Huddersfield), or, at best, mid-table mediocrity (Brentford and Millwall).

But would you turn down 10k a week at the Terriers in favour of maybe 4 or 5 at Charlton?
    Yet in 4 months or so time Grant could get promoted with us to the Championship and earn a 10k a week contract with us where Huddersfield, Brentford and Millwall would also be in next season. If the rest of the season goes well Grant could have a promotion next to his name and maybe even league top scorer.

RD is the cause of all the speculation by not tying players down on proper contracts yet but I can't see the appeal of a relegation dogfight at any of those teams mentioned. Huddersfield in particular are Premier League in name only for a few more weeks.
    You may be right about promotion and top scorer but who knows? With RD as owner there is no way he will get offered a 10k a week contract, promoted or not!

Players tend to take what's on the table, and we cannot guarantee anything right now. Others may be able to.
  • Sponsored links:

• Pedro45 said:

Too many if’s there. If they go down, if we go up, if we offer him 10k per week, if, if, if. Even if we offered him a new deal tomorrow I’d be surprised if he signed it as in the summer he’d be in high demand and have his pick of a number of clubs.

• Pedro45 said:

Too many if’s there. If they go down, if we go up, if we offer him 10k per week, if, if, if. Even if we offered him a new deal tomorrow I’d be surprised if he signed it as in the summer he’d be in high demand and have his pick of a number of clubs.

This. Don’t think he’ll depart this season but he might sign a pre contract somewhere. Only chance of him staying is if we get promoted. Get new owners and he doesn’t sign anything before the seasons end.

• Mo Eisa is a decent player, would get us goals.
  • edited January 2019

Pedro45 said:

If he's offered 10k a week at Huddersfield he'll be gone. He surely wouldn't turn that down based on what 'might' happen with us. Yes we 'might' go up, but equally he 'might' fracture his leg next week and be out injured for months, and then be without a club when his contract is up.
    I see your point but Huddersfield will want impact players to make a difference now so any move is likely to be in the summer by which point they will be a Championship team and there's a good chance we could be then too.

It's going to come down to whether we get promoted or not and probably for most of the out of contract players not just Grant.

Out of curiosity though if we do get promoted in the summer which of the out of contract players would we deem good enough to want to stay and offer a new contract to anyway? For example players like Marshall and Vetokele will probably be allowed to leave anyway regardless of whether we go up, Bauer will probably be off regardless too. Solly has signed several contracts under RD already and would probably stay regardless of division. Would Fosu for example be good enough for The Championship? Probably warrants it's own thread this discussion.
  • Laughable that Huddersfield would consider a 3rd division striker as the answer to their problems up front. A player who has had a good season in L2, and half a good season in L1
  • Laughable that Huddersfield would consider a 3rd division striker as the answer to their problems up front. A player who has had a good season in L2, and half a good season in L1

They are preparing for life in the Championship.

It is why we should do we all to persuade him to stay this season and hope he will sign if we get promoted.

Redrobo beat me to it. He’s looking like the sort of punt a relegated PL team could afford very easily. Out of contract and won’t expect a fortune in wages. If he becomes a decent third fourth choice then it’s good business. Anything better and it’s great business.

• Grant won't be going anywhere, least alone Huddersfield. When was the last time a struggling Premiership team signed a player from league one.....esp one they want to play immediately. Never going to happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• how close is Igor to being ready. Cullen back from same injury
  • edited January 2019

Grant won't be going anywhere, least alone Huddersfield. When was the last time a struggling Premiership team signed a player from league one.....esp one they want to play immediately. Never going to happen.

They would be looking to sign Grant with a view for Championship football next season. Would cost no fee if they can get him to sign a pre contract and his wages compared to what they are paying in the PL will be peanuts. It’s a cheapish punt but with parachute payments easily done. Third
    / fourth choice striker with potential for more ?

• how close is Igor to being ready. Cullen back from same injury

Cullen was running for a month before rejoining training. Igor has only just stated running so my guess is end of Feb but @sage is the 'expert' 😉
  • Grant won't be going anywhere, least alone Huddersfield. When was the last time a struggling Premiership team signed a player from league one.....esp one they want to play immediately. Never going to happen.

They would be looking to sign Grant with a view for Championship football next season. Would cost no fee if they can get him to sign a pre contract and his wages compared to what they are paying in the PL will be peanuts. It’s a cheapish punt but with parachute payments easily done. Third
    / fourth choice striker with potential for more ?

Only foreign clubs can sign pre-contract agreements with players.
  • RedChaser said:

how close is Igor to being ready. Cullen back from same injury

Cullen was running for a month before rejoining training. Igor has only just stated running so my guess is end of Feb but @sage is the 'expert' 😉
    Bowyer has talked about how naturally fit Cullen is. I'm not sure the same can be said about Igor...
  • edited January 2019

RedChaser said:

how close is Igor to being ready. Cullen back from same injury

Bowyer has talked about how naturally fit Cullen is. I'm not sure the same can be said about Igor...
    Yes that's why I said end of Feb but I bow to Sage's greater knowledge and he reckons could be back sooner, fingers crossed.