Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Could see Clarke going to Oxford as Robbo was the one who brought him to CAFC
  • wmcf123 said:

Oggy Red said:

If Grant signs for Rangers this month , that's the end of his 1st team football this season.

He'll have plenty of choices in the summer if he scores 20 goals here first.

He’d walk into that team
    He absolutely would not.
  • cafcwill said:

Could see Clarke going to Oxford as Robbo was the one who brought him to CAFC

Don't think so.

I posted on the other thread that he kept his family home in the north and only lodged in London.

I suspect he will go to a northern club and hopefully obtain a contract for next year.
  • edited January 2019

Definitely need another forward but i think Jonny Williams is Clarkes replacement.

Id have thought that Williams was Ward's replacement
    And Ward was Clarke's replacement for the first half of the season, if that makes sense.

Oops, sorry Stu didn't see your post when I wrote mine
  • Wouldn't it be nice when we are in a position to actually buy players instead of begging, borrowing or stealing someone. It would appear that Tom Eaves could be bought for about 250,000 quid - according to Medway press - peanuts ...

...or less. Just what we need as well, something just a bit different. Taylor will no doubt be suspended for two games and both he and Grant will get knocks or need a rest. Oh for a decent owner!
  • Kashi signs for Oxford
  • Sponsored links:

• Bowyer on transfer speculation.
    Addicks boss Bowyer said: “I’ve only heard the story that Rangers are interested. I’m not aware of anything official.

“There have been a couple of other clubs interested in a couple of our players, but again we’ve not really had anything concrete yet.

“It’s difficult for Karlan because he has done well and has improved so much in a short space of time – because he has only got until the summer left [on his contract] he is weighing up his options.

“With all the players, not just Karlan, we can’t make them sign new deals. All we can do is offer the best we can in our position as a football club – we’re in League One and have to be realistic.
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-responds-to-speculation-over-glasgow-rangers-chasing-karlan-grant/
  • clive said:

Bowyer on transfer speculation.
    Addicks boss Bowyer said: “I’ve only heard the story that Rangers are interested. I’m not aware of anything official.

“There have been a couple of other clubs interested in a couple of our players, but again we’ve not really had anything concrete yet.

“It’s difficult for Karlan because he has done well and has improved so much in a short space of time – because he has only got until the summer left [on his contract] he is weighing up his options.

“With all the players, not just Karlan, we can’t make them sign new deals. All we can do is offer the best we can in our position as a football club – we’re in League One and have to be realistic.
    https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-boss-responds-to-speculation-over-glasgow-rangers-chasing-karlan-grant/

Doesn’t sound promising at all.
    No,it doesnt. Doesnt bode well. Stand by to lose nearly all those out of contract in the summer unless we get promotion and/or new owners.
  • clive said:

i.e. if any half-decent offer comes in, especially if it's cash upfront for Roland, they'll be off.

If we get through the rest of this January window and keep hold of Aribo, Fosu, Grant and Bauer I'll be happy. Past form, even pre-Roland suggests that won't happen, i..e Scott Parker, Andy Reid, Danny Murphy etc.
  • Wouldn't it be nice when we are in a position to actually buy players instead of begging, borrowing or stealing someone. It would appear that Tom Eaves could be bought for about 250,000 quid - according to Medway press - peanuts ...

I've heard that we've enquired about Eaves and have been told that they want a seven figure sum.

If we'd been told that he was available for 250k then I think we'd have snapped their hands off.
  • clive said:

Doesn’t sound promising at all.
    No,it doesnt. Doesnt bode well. Stand by to lose nearly all those out of contract in the summer unless we get promotion and/or new owners.
    New owners and promotion are both achievable.
  • Luton apparently signing George Moncur on loan from Barnsley - why on earth are they loaning a good player to a promotion chasing rival?!
  • Crispy said:

Luton apparently signing George Moncur on loan from Barnsley - why on earth are they loaning a good player to a promotion chasing rival?!

A few own goals
    A few red cards
    Seems good business to me

Agent Moncur haha
  • Crispy said:

Luton apparently signing George Moncur on loan from Barnsley - why on earth are they loaning a good player to a promotion chasing rival?!

It appears Moncur is overrated. Apparently Slade blocked him coming to us and he's also been on loan at Peterborough in the past. Barnsley paid £800k!
  • Ferryman said:

Crispy said:

It appears Moncur is overrated. Apparently Slade blocked him coming to us and he's also been on loan at Peterborough in the past. Barnsley paid £800k!
    As soon as he knew Slade was coming Moncur decided against us, pretty certain of this.

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 2019

Wouldn't it be nice when we are in a position to actually buy players instead of begging, borrowing or stealing someone. It would appear that Tom Eaves could be bought for about 250,000 quid - according to Medway press - peanuts ...

I think he's come out and stated that he wants to go to the Championship, or at least it has been heavily inferred.

Yes, it would be great if we had new owners who would actually go out and buy players, without a doubt. Just keep in mind this is League One and most players move for minimal or no fees. Also, as BBW states, I can't believe Eaves is available at that price, he would have a number of suitors in the Championship.

The big one where I wish we'd purchased a player is in goal. I think Purrington is a good stop-gap signing. Don't know that he's good enough for the Championship if we get promoted, but he looks a good second choice LB at this level. But in goal, it would have been great if we'd signed Steer permanently, or at least made him an offer, in this window. He's out of contract in the summer. I'm sure he's on a decent wage, but it certainly would have been worth a go.

As for buying a striker, if someone with Eaves' quality is available at an affordable price, then great. But even with good owners, I think it would be very hard to find a striker good enough to come in and push Grant and Taylor who is 1) Available and 2) Won't blow up our budget/wage structure. There just aren't that many strikers out there, and seemingly everyone is in the market for one.
  • SDAddick said:
    I wonder where Karl will play him and in what position?
  • wmcf123 said:

Maybe he has just learnt to concentrate

He no longer has Katrien to distract him.
  • SDAddick said:
    It may be a shot in the dark, but im going to have a guess its within a 4-2-3-1 formation.
  • edited January 2019
    Halix said:

SDAddick said:
    It may be a shot in the dark, but im going to have a guess its within a 4-2-3-1 formation.
    Interestingly, Oxford have played 4-3-3 and the diamond this season, as well as the 4-2-3-1.

With Kashi at the club now though, it wouldn't be a surprise if he goes back to his 4-2-3-1 and has the goal-scoring James Henry play in the number 10 position.
  • Bit concerned no news of Grant's supposed contract offer. Just boost his salary by the amount being paid of Ajose's contract by Mansfield if you want to keep him if that's not enough of an increase then just fork out the extra, we need him and Lyle focused...
  • Mansfield won't be paying much
  • edited January 2019
    Redhenry said:

Mansfield won't be paying much

Just seen the above comments about Ajose.