Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• edited January 2019

I'd hope most players would see that the Championship is infinitely better than the SPL

Its certainly a tougher League than the SPL; but there again I dont know of any league tougher than the Championship
  • So here we go - the start of the break- up of our first team squad thanks to the stupidity of Roland and his team in not signing up our young talent on long term contracts.

Let's be honest - other teams must be rubbing their hands at the players they could potentially pick up for free.
  • I'd hope most players would see that the Championship is infinitely better than the SPL

There’s a better chance of Rangers being in Europe next season than Charlton being in the Championship.
  • edited January 2019

se9addick said:

I'd hope most players would see that the Championship is infinitely better than the SPL

There’s a better chance of Rangers being in Europe next season than Charlton being in the Championship.
    True, but Charlton would be in the championship a lot longer than rangers will be in Europe and freezing your nuts off for 6 months of the year just to have 2 or 3 games, assuming you get on the pitch, in the arse end of a Eastern European country in a sub zero temperature stadium that took 18 hours to get to only to lose doesn’t sound that appealing
    Agree, but I honestly think if I was a player thinking about my future career, Rangers would be a better step currently than Charlton. We’re on a great run but promotion is by no means guaranteed. Duchatelet says he wants to sell, but new owners are by no means guaranteed. Bowyer looks like he could become a decent manager but him staying with Charlton is by no means guaranteed.

Now a better move from Grant might be to turn this offer from Rangers down, tell everyone he’s only focused on getting promotion with Charlton and then see what offers are available in England come June including remaining at Charlton who could be a Championship club by then. However a guaranteed deal with Stephen Gerard’s Rangers, probably with a decent pay rise to boot, will be more tempting than many on here would like to think.
  • se9addick said:

If they get through the qualifying, which there certainly is no guarantee
  • Let’s face it. If Rangers want Grant and Charlton are willing to accept their offer then he’s going to go. The fee will be the key.
  • Out of contract players.
    Roland will cash in if he can.
    Agents might advise letting contracts run down.
  • Let’s face it. If Rangers want Grant and Charlton are willing to accept their offer then he’s going to go. The fee will be the key.

Joke?
  • Sponsored links:

• J BLOCK said:

He can sign a pre-contract agreement with them this window and leave in the summer for nothing. Same goes for Aribo, Fosu and others. I think we only get development fees if we offer these guys improved contracts to stay.

Cheers Roly!

Didn’t we offer them contracts a while ago, no one has signed it I’m correct??
    Thought we offered them contracts and then removed the offer, only to then offer new contracts with worse terms. Hence why no one has signed them.

Would hate for Grant to go, but couldn't blame him. Chance to score bags of goals in a crap league playing for one of the most famous clubs in the world, and the opportunity to place in the 'Old Firm'.
  • se9addick said:

Let’s face it. If Rangers want Grant and Charlton are willing to accept their offer then he’s going to go. The fee will be the key.

Joke?
    Sadly probably not.

Suppose Grant's agent tells Douchbag his client will be leaving at the end of the season to join Rangers. However if he goes now Rangers will pay £500k.

Do you not think that Douchbag will bite Rangers hands off?

We really need new owners. And quickly.
  • se9addick said:

Let’s face it. If Rangers want Grant and Charlton are willing to accept their offer then he’s going to go. The fee will be the key.

Joke?
    Sadly probably not.

Suppose Grant's agent tells Douchbag his client will be leaving at the end of the season to join Rangers. However if he goes now Rangers will pay £500k.

Not sure if Rangers would pay £500K now for someone they have guaranteed for free in five months, especially as they’ve just added Defoe upfront.

Grant will more likely be a replacement for Morelos who will be off in the summer.
  • From a Charlton point of view, I hope he stays. A small part of me wants this to be true so that Roland misses out on a development fee
  • se9addick said:

se9addick said:

Joke?
    Sadly probably not.

Not sure if Rangers would pay £500K now for someone they have guaranteed for free in five months, especially as they’ve just added Defoe upfront.

Grant will more likely be a replacement for Morelos who will be off in the summer.
    Fair point. But I still believe Douchbag would accept an offer now for any player out of contract at the end of the season. Which sadly seems to be about half the squad.
  • The Daily Record and The Sun are hardly ever right. As someone said, a Rangers scout was there to watch a player on loan to Shrewsbury. Hopefully the shit rags have just jumped to more conclusions.

Also, Ravel Morrison is rumoured to be joining Rangers as well.
  • Gary McAllister was there on Saturday with a few other backroom staff members to watch Greg Docherty, who is on loan from Shrewsbury.

Wouldn't be surprised if he was impressed with a few of our players instead!
  • The Daily Record and The Sun are hardly ever right. As someone said, a Rangers scout was there to watch a player on loan to Shrewsbury. Hopefully the shit rags have just jumped to more conclusions.

Also, Ravel Morrison is rumoured to be joining Rangers as well.

This. The Sun's report didn't even name anyone yet 30 posts later Grant is off to Scotland. I hate this board sometimes.
  • my mate a Bretford fan just emailed me to ask how I rated Grant. He is quite close to those in the know there and when Konsa went I heard that from him first. He says Brentford have offered CAFC £500,000 for Grant. Personally think if I was him I would wait until the summer. If he stays with Taylor he will have 20 or more goals and will have his choice of clubs and be able to negotiate a big signing on fee. However if Konsa gets in his ear he might be tempted. looks like we are a Bretford feeder club now.

It would be a free transfer, no fee needed.
  • Sponsored links:

• my mate a Bretford fan just emailed me to ask how I rated Grant. He is quite close to those in the know there and when Konsa went I heard that from him first. He says Brentford have offered CAFC £500,000 for Grant. Personally think if I was him I would wait until the summer. If he stays with Taylor he will have 20 or more goals and will have his choice of clubs and be able to negotiate a big signing on fee. However if Konsa gets in his ear he might be tempted. looks like we are a Bretford feeder club now.

Brentford offering £500k for Grant was in one of the articles linking him with Rangers.
  • Fits with their way of working. Taylor is much the better player but too old for them. However my mate says they play a system with one up top. That wouldn't get the best from Grant. He would be mad to go now as his bargaining power with 20+ goals behind him will only increase in the summer.
  • If Rangers want Grant they can get him for nothing which is good business for them - they can afford a generous contract and will be able to sell him.

We'll be letting all our best younģ players go for a pittance given the contract farce.
  • It didn't take much for all the positivity on this board to evaporate...
  • if the club were planning to let him go I don't think they would have loaned out ajose yesterday. let's see
  • se9addick said:

Joke?
    No. He can walk for nothing in the summer but should Rangers want him right now then even a nominal fee would no doubt secure him.

It would be a free transfer, no fee needed.
    No it wouldn’t. He’s under contract so at present commands a fee. Free agent in the summer so he can do whatever he likes.

• CAFCDAZ said:

leon best return maybe?

Currently a free agent, 32.
  • get Darren Bent back in!
  • Laddick01 said:

Genuinely don’t think he’ll go there.
    Would be big pressure to have to follow in footsteps of the Columbian fella & Defoe.
  • Can't remember a January transfer window that I have enjoyed for well over 10 years.

Bowyer saying we don't need to replace Ajose.....cue Grant leaving and just having Taylor.