Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• SSN saying Brentford want Grant.

they have the money now and he fits what they do.

• Do you reckon he will go this week redhenry
  • Do you reckon he will go this week redhenry
  • We really cannot afford to lose a single member of the first team. We all know they won't be replaced.

If Grant goes he WILL be replaced. This isn't someone being pushed out of the club to raise money

Not necessarily by someone as good though
  • I can understand Grant wanting to go, or at least being open to the option. I can understand the club willing to sell him for the right price. Given our current status, every player, unfortunately, has a price. But that 1.5-2m, just feels low to me compared to market value. The problem is, he has six months to run on his contract, so it's very possible that it's 1.5-2m now, or nothing in six months' time.

The real mistake here won't be in the selling of Grant itself. It's entirely possible that would happen under any owner. The problem will be not having tied him down to a longer term contract in the summer or the autumn, thus locking in a higher value for him. And then the other problem will presumably be in not bringing in a replacement that's up to his level (which would be very difficult to do).
  • We should put bid in for goddon at Peterborough it’ll unsettle him for Saturday as well. Weren’t we close to buying him before and isn’t he a charlton fan. Unless I’m mixing him up with someone else
  • We should put bid in for goddon at Peterborough it’ll unsettle him for Saturday as well. Weren’t we close to buying him before and isn’t he a charlton fan. Unless I’m mixing him up with someone else

We were linked heavily with him last summer I think it was. I want to say that Robinson denied it, but I don't know what that means. He seems to be having a decent season for them, and I imagine whatever Peterborough paid for him will now be doubled and quoted to us.

(What they paid for him isn't clear https://www.thecomet.net/sport/football/stevenage-striker-matt-godden-is-sold-to-peterborough-1-5547588)

I do think he'd be a decent addition. But in addition to the money likely to be involved, I can't see the Posh selling to a promotion rival.
  • SDAddick said:

I can understand Grant wanting to go, or at least being open to the option. I can understand the club willing to sell him for the right price. Given our current status, every player, unfortunately, has a price. But that 1.5-2m, just feels low to me compared to market value. The problem is, he has six months to run on his contract, so it's very possible that it's 1.5-2m now, or nothing in six months' time.

The real mistake here won't be in the selling of Grant itself. It's entirely possible that would happen under any owner. The problem will be not having tied him down to a longer term contract in the summer or the autumn, thus locking in a higher value for him. And then the other problem will presumably be in not bringing in a replacement that's up to his level (which would be very difficult to do).

I don't want him to go, but £1.5 to £2m sounds fair for a player with 6 months on his contract, who until this season had never done it at L1 level, and only scored 2 goals for the club
  • edited January 2019

SDAddick said:

I can understand Grant wanting to go, or at least being open to the option. I can understand the club willing to sell him for the right price. Given our current status, every player, unfortunately, has a price. But that 1.5-2m, just feels low to me compared to market value. The problem is, he has six months to run on his contract, so it's very possible that it's 1.5-2m now, or nothing in six months' time.

I don't want him to go, but £1.5 to £2m sounds fair for a player with 6 months on his contract, who until this season had never done it at L1 level, and only scored 2 goals for the club
    Maybe, but he's still only 21 and you pay a premium for potential these days, especially young English potential. Despite not having a good goals return until this time last year, he has always had ability, and he now has a tremendous amount of experience for a 21 year old.

It's that six month left on the contract thing that bugs me. I feel like, without it, we might be able to turn down bids (at least until the summer), and/or it could add an extra 1m to that 1.5-2m.

Also, just want to add the standard caveat, the numbers thrown around in these deals are often misleading at best. A lot will depend on bonuses, the structuring of the payments, etc.
  • Sponsored links:

• Redhenry said:

SDAddick said:

This. I don't think the Club can afford to turn this down. Although the Club should have offered a new contract earlier.
    Yes, I do agree with that, the club can't afford to turn down such an offer. And to be fair, not a lot, if any, League One clubs could afford to turn down a seven figure offer for one of their players.

But better "Contracts Management" would potentially mean a better windfall, if nothing else.
  • I think we could do a deal with Karlan, sign a new deal with a nice signing on fee.

Help us get promoted the sell him in the summer for 5/6M, also add a clause that if we dont get promoted he can go for £1.5m so he still gets his move in the summer

We get more money
    He gets a nice signing on fee

Win/win
  • I think a lot depends on Roland's strategy for the sale, which of course no one could ever possibly guess.

However, based on the good business we have done in the window so far, and the ever stalling sale saga, it seems to me that he's keen to have another shot at promotion, and therefore increase the sale value. When I say have a shot at promotion he's obviously not going to start waving the cheque book around and bringing in players left right and centre, that we do know. BUT I think he might be keen to keep the first 11 together, even if there are bids, on the arrogant assumption he will get promotion and more money for the club in the summer...

If Grant wants to go and we get an acceptable bid in, that's another matter. I don't see any point keeping an unhappy player. But hopefully in that circumstance the club, Bowyer/Jackson/Euell etc. can persuade him, if he does want to go, he's better off holding out till the summer on the basis he can achieve something special this season, and earn a bigger pay day in July.
  • I think a lot depends on Roland's strategy for the sale, which of course no one could ever possibly guess.

However, based on the good business we have done in the window so far, and the ever stalling sale saga, it seems to me that he's keen to have another shot at promotion, and therefore increase the sale value. When I say have a shot at promotion he's obviously not going to start waving the cheque book around and bringing in players left right and centre, that we do know. BUT I think he might be keen to keep the first 11 together, even if there are bids, on the arrogant assumption he will get promotion and more money for the club in the summer...

If Grant wants to go and we get an acceptable bid in, that's another matter. I don't see any point keeping an unhappy player. But hopefully in that circumstance the club, Bowyer/Jackson/Euell etc. can persuade him, if he does want to go, he's better off holding out till the summer on the basis he can achieve something special this season, and earn a bigger pay day in July.

I really hope for this too. But I'm always sympathetic to the idea that Karlan could break his leg tomorrow or do his ACL in March and miss out on that life changing amount of money.

And to redhenry's point, there is an amount of money at which the club may not want to try to persuade him to stay.
  • RE: Konsa... Wasnt his sole exit in the summer due to the club needing to meet FFP and had that not been a factor he wouldnt have been sold?

Surely that'll be the same case with Grant until the summer?
  • edited January 2019
    Great.

So we're selling Grant in the next week or so, Taylor is out for three weeks, Ajose has gone on loan to Mansfield, Hackett-Fairchild is too inexperienced to be dropped into a pressure situation and both Clarke and Vetokele are very, very doubtful because of their fitness.

There is only one answer to this quandary.

Mouhamadou-Naby Sarr
  • Karlan has had a good season and is playing well

I do suspect though that it's the presence of Taylor which is creating a lot of those chances, his movement attracts defenders, creating space for him. I have a little bit of sympathy for Nicky Ajose in this respect, if HE had started the season with a run of games alongside Taylor, he would probably be in double figures for the season, Taylor is that good.
  • If grant was to leave I think the best we Can hope for is he goes too hudders. It’s clear he’s not good enough for prem football just yet so maybe loan back till the end of the season, best for all party’s with us keeping him match fit whilst in the summer they would have a match fit striker ready for the champ.
  • Disasterous if he goes
    I couldn’t care less if £2m is too good a deal. Who cares...that cash is only going to one person.
  • Sponsored links:

• As has probably been pointed out by others promotion is worth far more than 1.5 or 2 million selling now makes absolutely no financial sence whatever
  • Would someone really offer 2 million for him now when they can get him in the summer and just pay compensation due to his age. I'd be reluctant if I was sanctioning that deal.
  • Redhenry said:

SDAddick said:

This. I don't think the Club can afford to turn this down. Although the Club should have offered a new contract earlier.
    yeah a man worth 800m couldn't afford to turn that down

• I am quite relaxed about Grant not going, I remember Bowyer said none of our best players will be sold as RD assured him :wink:
  • Ah I feel you may have missed out on the finer points of the Duchatelet theorem which requires clinging to fundamental tenets such as ‘a few euros in the hand is worth more than many euros later’, the player sale mantra, which has a peculiar resonance with ‘the club is worth whatever I have spent on it even if in setting a price so high I lose even more large amounts of money’ and the all time favourite ‘all businesses should be separate and make a profit except when I decide to link them up to manipulate the results.’

Overall a genius on the same level as Einstein I would say.

• I think there is a bit of contract / wage negotiation going on here but either way I think we will end up with either Grant staying and we get another striker in on loan or Grant going and we sign another striker and get one in on loan as well. I don't think we will sell Grant unless it suits us to do so given the financial balancing act LB appears to be working with. (notwithstanding that in an ideal world we would keep him and sign others as well)
  • Grant would be mad to go now. This is a team with reportedly great spirit and with a lot of talent in it and heading for the automatics. He won’t play in many teams with that combination in his career. He should enjoy the moment, he’s young enough with plenty of career years ahead of him. And a player who has scored 20+ goals in a season gets more respect and is paid more than a player who scored 14 and then warmed a bench elsewhere for the rest of the season.
  • edited January 2019

Would someone really offer 2 million for him now when they can get him in the summer and just pay compensation due to his age. I'd be reluctant if I was sanctioning that deal.

He’d be worth more than 20m this time next year if he scored 20+ goals in the Championship in 2019.

He’s young, he’s English and he’s a goalscorer. You USUALLY pay a massive premium for all three of those in one player.

Unfortunately we don’t have much of a bargaining position for the reasons you outline. However in this transfer market, Karlan is well worth a 2m punt (because that’s what 2m is to most Championship clubs these days) to secure him six months early.
  • Not much of an agent if he’s touting him around at a knockdown price. Better to wait til the summer where he can go on a free and demand a bigger wage.
    Unless of course it’s just a bit of posturing over contract negotiations
  • The thing with longish term contracts is a bit of double edged sword. If we had given Grant a 2.5 year contract this time last year and been promoted, he would probably have spent this season on loan in league 1 or 2. He might not even have signed it as it didn't look like he would get much game time. See the lad that went to Gillingham.

Its only in the last 12 months that he has looked a good league 1 player, potential yes, but track record no. If Robinson was still here he might have gone in the summer.

If Lapsie had been released in the summer it would hardly have got a mention, there would be up roar now. Of all the players out of contract it is Aribo that's the most concerning and neglectful.