Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• vff said:

FAVADDICK said:

Paul Smyth from QPR being linked by talksport

Sounds usual, sell a developing talent for what Duchatelet can get for him, and get an unknown loan to replace. Usual practice, sell a player that undermines a promotion push and replace with someone unproven. This is why I don't have a season ticket and won't get one until Duchatelet fecks off.

All that total Murray bollocks about having to not sell our good young players and the total bullshit about investing in the team if Charlton are well positioned for promotion from Duchatelet.
    👆🏻You speak a lot of sense, sir 👆🏻
  • Valley11 said:

FAVADDICK said:

Paul Smyth from QPR being linked by talksport

Who he ?

transfer market says 21 year old Northern Ireland Centre Forward , secondary position Right Winger
    2 Goals from 17 for QPR
    2 International apps 1 goal

This season 3 games in Championship and 2 in the EFL cup

interesting, doesn't give you alot but another international player anyone? surely doing something right maybe big josh can give us his opinions :)
    Looks like a pacey little’un (Karlan) rather than a big’un (Taylor).

He was out of contract in the summer but QPR did this revolutionary thing and extended his deal last week:
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.belfastlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/paul-smyth-qpr-contract-extension-15697280.amp

Someone who's barely played this season, probably happy to sign any deal
  • People on here saying its Roland of course he will sell him, he will pocket the money and other shit.

Remember if Roland does that he will have to knock money off from his asking price as he will have sold one of the assets if the club, that would basically be cutting his nose to spite his face and then if we dont get promoted his asking price will de value even more, so take £2M now and risk losing £6M/7M from asking price or dont take the £2M now and with promotion your asking price would go up in value.

We all know he only cares about the money so surely from his point of view to get more money Grant has to stay

There's no evidence that it's Roland trying to sell Karlan. All the transfer gossip sounds more like something Karlan's agent has been generating
  • cafc_se7 said:

I’m not being funny but all this talk of replacing Grant? He has scored 14 league goals? How can you replace that?

To be fair, a lot of those goals were laid on a plate for him by the good players around him. He's fast and gets into good positions but £2m for a player with no first touch wouldn't be the worst deal. I do hope he stays though
  • Leuth said:

cafc_se7 said:

I’m not being funny but all this talk of replacing Grant? He has scored 14 league goals? How can you replace that?

To be fair, a lot of those goals were laid on a plate for him by the good players around him. He's fast and gets into good positions but £2m for a player with no first touch wouldn't be the worst deal. I do hope he stays though
    Yeaa okay... Bradford and Shrewsbury (at the Valley) werent laid on a plate for him; still had a lot to do against Walsall, cant actually think of a tap in from him?
  • Leuth said:

It's possible to analyse a player with a little more depth than "scored 14 goals!!" - there are good aspects to Grant but also some fairly obvious shortcomings, even at this level. As I say, I'm enjoying him in our side and I don't want him to be sold, but he is very, very far from being a complete player

Are there many complete players at this level?
  • Sponsored links:

• You say the goals have been layed on a plate but he has the mental awareness to be in the right place at the right time, how many players have earned a living from scoring because they know to be in the right place at the right time
  • edited January 2019
    Bielik and Cullen are down from Premier League sides so could argue have had better coaching than Grant else they wouldnt still be at Arsenal or West Ham

Taylor is eight years older so what do you expect; Williams is a Welsh International; Bauer is six years older; Sarr has got Champions League experience so of course those players will be at a more complete stage than Grant... End of the day you still have to acknowledge the fact that whilst Taylor is a more complete player (Your words) he's still got less League goals than Karlan

Also how the hell can you say that Grant's importance is magnified by the fact we've no one who can play in his position when both Igor Vetokele (another Champions League player) and Nicky Ajose (got 24-goals in one season at this level) have been forced to keep their arses warm on the bench whilst he's been scoring for fun?

Hell dont get me wrong he's got his faults and at times has a heavy touch where you want to scream yet overall this season has proven that he's got the potential to go a lot higher than any of us predicted prior to this time last year
  • And the fact he has scored a load of goals.
  • You say the goals have been layed on a plate but he has the mental awareness to be in the right place at the right time, how many players have earned a living from scoring because they know to be in the right place at the right time

Exactly. A player getting himself in position for a tap in has timed his run, lost his marker, stayed onside and read what his team mates are doing so they can pick him out.

Add that ability to his speed, skill and strength and we have a very good player on our hands.

Taylor is seven years older and has that much more experience but he was playing non-league at Grant's age.

I never get why some people can't be happy with praising their favourite player/s but have to slag off other Charlton players to make their stars seem better.
    Exactly Owen earned his living from that, now I am not comparing the 2 and Owen had other qualities, but how many goals did he get from being in the right place at the right time, same as Defoe
  • Vetokele has been injured for almost the whole season, and unfit for all of it. Ajose doesn't quite have Grant's pace or presence but he wasn't the worst foil for Taylor on the rare occasions they played together. He's on loan in League Two now anyway. Grant has had little credible competition for his spot.

Obviously he has potential but I think pace can get you pretty far at this level
  • And EXACTLY re: Ajose's 24-goal season - surely that should teach a bit of caution

Exactly. A player getting himself in position for a tap in has timed his run, lost his marker, stayed onside and read what his team mates are doing so they can pick him out.

Add that ability to his speed, skill and strength and we have a very good player on our hands.

Taylor is seven years older and has that much more experience but he was playing non-league at Grant's age.

I never get why some people can't be happy with praising their favourite player/s but have to slag off other Charlton players to make their stars seem better.
    Slag off? I'm being completely level-headed. I said I liked him and wanted him to stay. I suppose your deliberately lukewarm review of Sarr's last performance was far more level headed?
  • Didn’t know where to put this, rumours thread felt best....full of bollocks

He’s said the same about Lenglet, that CB at Napoli and other players that have since gone for big fees or made names for themselves in Europe.

If it’s not total bullsh*t then I guess it proves to Tommy D and to us (if we didn’t know already!) that real life isn’t anything like Football Manager.
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:

cafc_se7 said:

I’m not suggesting he is the complete player, far from it! But there is nobody out there I don’t think who would gel as quickly with Taylor and score goals at the same rate as Karlan! Plus he’s one of our own so he should at least prove himself for the rest of the season with us!
  • Smyth is listed on TransferMarkt as a center forward or right winger. For all of their faults their positioning is usually pretty good.

If he is being brought in as a wide player or someone who can play wide, I wonder if it's as a replacement for Marshall or Clarke. Given it was queued up last week, it makes me think it's unlikely he is the one to be lined up as a replacement for Grant.
  • I wonder if there is any connection between Smyth at QPR & Steve Gallen ex-QPR ? :smile:
  • Sunderland In talks with Grant Leadbitter.
  • Sunderland In talks with Grant Leadbitter.

So in our league we could have lead biter and iron willy
  • Grant has done well this year so it's not surprising there's interest in him. 14 goals, young and plays for a club that will bite your hand off for any sort of transfer fee!

I hope he stays