Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton / L1 - January 2019 Transfer Rumours (ed, deadline day starts p98)

Comments

• Grant has done brilliantly this season. Don't forget back in the summer Igor and Taylor was going to be our first choice frontline up until Igor got injured.

Problem is getting Igor back and fit again....

Don’t see Igor ever being instrumental in our team again. Never fit and on massive wages. I think we struggled to offload him on a loan and a gamble was taken to see if he could be a top Championship striker for us again. He’s never shown any indication he can be. Not his fault. Injuries and a stop start career have had their toll. I’m certain he’ll only now feature a handful of times and be gone in the summer.

• Grant has done brilliantly this season. Don't forget back in the summer Igor and Taylor was going to be our first choice frontline up until Igor got injured.

Problem is getting Igor back and fit again....

Was he? - I dont remember that ever being the actual case, thought it was more fan rumour as Igor is the more experienced
  • If Huddersfield want him for next year then maybe they would be happy to loan him to us this season.

Grant does know his worth now and could make a better deal in summer with a 2 mil signing on fee and good wages.
  • Redrobo said:

I can understand chasing the £, but being happy in your work, being close to family life and friends is much more important.

The same applies to football players.

Not if they're of a "materialistic" nature it doesn't. KG openly discussing his "options" with team mates.
  • Redrobo said:

If Huddersfield want him for next year then maybe they would be happy to loan him to us this season.

Grant does know his worth now and could make a better deal in summer with a 2 mil signing on fee and good wages.

I initially thought they might be prepared to loan him back but I can’t see it. They will want to have a good hard look at him and integrate him so he’s more than acclimatised ready for use when needed. Plus Roland, if he decides to cash in will want as much money as possible and a loan back would no doubt affect that.

• Good luck to him and thank you Roland
  • Sponsored links:

• Ducahtelet does not care about on pitch performance so he will sell players, regardless of league position, money will always come first. He's been like that for five years, why would he change now?

The only reason would be if he thinks his high valuation of the club would be more acceptable to potential buyers if we are in the Championship...
  • What a depresing read! Let's hope it doesn't happen.
  • I dont believe Grant will go this window, even though the great Redhenry kind of confirms its happening i refuse to believe it. Firstly i would like him to stay until at least the end of the season, secondly sign a long term deal.

50% likely he will stay until the end of the season
    25% chance he will re-sign

Banking on Douchface to go for the 2nd part, but lets keep positive he is our player for now until confirmed he is gone i will not accept it.
  • edited January 2019

Ducahtelet does not care about on pitch performance so he will sell players, regardless of league position, money will always come first. He's been like that for five years, why would he change now?

I agree, but he may change now because his best chance of selling the club at the price he wants is if we get promotion.

He can sell Grant for £2M now or hold on and hope we get promoted, which will increase the value of the club by more than £2M.

There is of course the sell him now option and loan him back to the end of the season.

Huddersfield would be mad if they thought Grant could keep them up.

I'm not certain Messi could keep them up.

Grant is perhaps the sort of player who wouldn't excel in the freezing north, so I would think Brentford might be more his choice.

Let's face it they will both be in The Championship next season and would he prefer London or Huddersfield ?

Money though may well be the deciding factor.
  • 2 million does sound rather a lot for a player out of contract in the summer.

If it happens I wonder if Roland would allow Bowyer to spend 1 million on Eaves.
    Probably not but if he did I'd be ok with it.
  • SDAddick said:

I don't think it's quite as simple as "breaking up this squad." We're talking about selling one player with six months on his contract for a seven figure sum. We're a League One team. Most teams would have a hard time turning down that money. Yes, we could absolutely get promoted, but there's a decent chance we might not be as well. And if we don't, and we lose Karlan for nothing in the summer, then it will be 2m lost on this deal alone, in addition to operating costs and lost revenue of being in the Championship (which, if memory serves, isn't that drastically higher than League One).

I agree Bowyer and Jacko deserve a chance to finish what they started. The problem we're in, on many levels, is down to Roland, chiefly because he did not allow for the funds to sign crucial players like Fosu and Grant and Aribo and Bauer to longer term contracts, which would have actually increased their value. But taking the situation as it stands today, you have a chance to sell a player for a big chunk of money, or you can roll the dice on getting promoted, I believe any smart owner, let alone Roland, would find it a difficult decision to make.
    Yes, Roland may be a **** and the contract situation is a shambles, but higher clubs chasing our best players in the window isn't his fault, it's the way football works. Sunderland didn't want to sell Maja, I imagine Barnsley didn't want to lose Potts.

IF Karlan goes, the important thing is having someone lined up. The loan players we have been linked with (the likes of Paul Smyth) are I imagine Ajose replacements, fine for a 3rd/4th choice striker, but we need someone much better if Karlan leaves

One of the mistakes of the Parker scenario, was that all the effort was made to keep the player, and none made to find a replacement. Thus we lost him at the end of the window, had a massive pile of money to spend, but had to wait until the summer.
  • Ben18 said:

cafc-west said:

Beginning to think a 6 month loan to Huddersfield with view to coming back in the summer could end up being an option as well.

More likely would be a sale to Huddersfield with a condition of the sale being a loan back to us until the end of the season...
    Anythings possible but, for example if hes off to Huddersfield regardless. If we loan him to them and he does somehow miraculously help them avoid relegation his value would be x5 or x 10 for next season. If they do get relegated worst ways we would get him back next season and he would have been in the Prem with 4 months experience and with all the will in the world we could be in the same division as Huddersfield.

£2 million is bollocks in 2019 for a striker with 10 years still in him.
    You do realise he's out of contract in the Summer?
    Nope , forgot.

Any other circumstances Id be saying take the money then but it will only go to RD so fck it, stay and fill your pockets in the summer KAG
  • SDAddick said:

I don't think it's quite as simple as "breaking up this squad." We're talking about selling one player with six months on his contract for a seven figure sum. We're a League One team. Most teams would have a hard time turning down that money. Yes, we could absolutely get promoted, but there's a decent chance we might not be as well. And if we don't, and we lose Karlan for nothing in the summer, then it will be 2m lost on this deal alone, in addition to operating costs and lost revenue of being in the Championship (which, if memory serves, isn't that drastically higher than League One).

I agree Bowyer and Jacko deserve a chance to finish what they started. The problem we're in, on many levels, is down to Roland, chiefly because he did not allow for the funds to sign crucial players like Fosu and Grant and Aribo and Bauer to longer term contracts, which would have actually increased their value. But taking the situation as it stands today, you have a chance to sell a player for a big chunk of money, or you can roll the dice on getting promoted, I believe any smart owner, let alone Roland, would find it a difficult decision to make.
    Yes, Roland may be a **** and the contract situation is a shambles, but higher clubs chasing our best players in the window isn't his fault, it's the way football works. Sunderland didn't want to sell Maja, I imagine Barnsley didn't want to lose Potts.

IF Karlan goes, the important thing is having someone lined up. The loan players we have been linked with (the likes of Paul Smyth) are I imagine Ajose replacements, fine for a 3rd/4th choice striker, but we need someone much better if Karlan leaves

One of the mistakes of the Parker scenario, was that all the effort was made to keep the player, and none made to find a replacement. Thus we lost him at the end of the window, had a massive pile of money to spend, but had to wait until the summer.
    Agreed.

Also, I didn't know Potts had left Barnsley until just now. That's brilliant. He looked a real player. Glad Barnsley are weakened!

But yes, those two are good examples of the fact that when clubs higher up the food chain come calling, you rarely have a choice about selling or not selling, it's more a question of how much? And then it's about making sure you have targets identified to bring is as a replacement.
  • Sponsored links:

If it happens I wonder if Roland would allow Bowyer to spend 1 million on Eaves.

I think more likely Roland will pocket the full transfer fee and Bowyer won't even be allowed a loan signing to replace Grant.
  • Ducahtelet does not care about on pitch performance so he will sell players, regardless of league position, money will always come first. He's been like that for five years, why would he change now?

I agree, but he may change now because his best chance of selling the club at the price he wants is if we get promotion.

He can sell Grant for £2M now or hold on and hope we get promoted, which will increase the value of the club by more than £2M.

There is of course the sell him now option and loan him back to the end of the season.

Huddersfield would be mad if they thought Grant could keep them up.

I'm not certain Messi could keep them up.

Grant is perhaps the sort of player who wouldn't excel in the freezing north, so I would think Brentford might be more his choice.

Let's face it they will both be in The Championship next season and would he prefer London or Huddersfield ?

Money though may well be the deciding factor.
    Maybe offer Grant a new deal?

I think more likely Roland will pocket the full transfer fee and Bowyer won't even be allowed a loan signing to replace Grant.
    Smyth of QPR being up as his replacement, no?
  • Plus if Smyth doesnt sign as Grant's replacement then we cant get another loan in as thats our full quota for a matchday squad

Bielik | Cullen | Maxwell | Smyth | Purrington
  • RedChaser said:

2 million does sound rather a lot for a player out of contract in the summer.

No.

We were looking for a striker anyway. We will need to be looking for two if Grant goes and with only one being on loan.
  • Redrobo said:

RedChaser said:

No.

We were looking for a striker anyway. We will need to be looking for two if Grant goes and with only one being on loan.
    Well RedHenry has him down as a direct replacement.
  • Redrobo said:

RedChaser said:

No.

Yes, Smyth (or whoever) is Ajose's replacement. We'll be maxed out for loan spaces in the 18 after that, so any Grant replacement will need to be permanent

Maxwell
    Bielik
    Cullen
    Purrington
    Ajose replacement

Not sure any of the 1st 4 can be left out of the 18 (until Page is back)